Daniel_Allan_Clark

How to Properly play the Nelson?

13 comments in this topic

[TARK]
Members
4,851 posts
1,795 battles

I have a complete inability to help my team win while playing the Nelson.

I'm ok at armor angling and taking up decent positions in my German and USN battleships...but the Nelson and other British battleships baffle me at times.

What should I be doing in the Nelson that is different from the Colorado, for example?

Members
284 posts
4,664 battles

Fire HE all day long , angle from shells , except sinop, he will still hurt you and burn ships down while printing ships yourself with super heal.

I dont think the general playstyle changes to much compared to other bb's . Just the ammo choice . And maybe try playing mid to far range and follow the flank or push. 

[5IN]
Members
322 posts
23,385 battles

The best way to play the Nelson and enjoy your time is a 3 step process:

1: Drink Heavily, Drink enough so that your inhibitions are lost along with your care and any negative thoughts

2: Refer to Step 1

3: seriously you need to look at step 1

I have had good games in the Nelson I feel it got silently nerfed or something because when I first got it, the AP was like rail gun accurate and took a large smelly dump on most things it fired at.  I find myself being frustrated to no end with this boat of late.  It seems to take damage easily even when bowed in, the meta of pointing your bow at the enemy team and backing up while spamming HE doesn't appeal to me.  If you expose your broadside you are toast if you expose your bow to another battleship inside 10km youre toast.  The success I've had with it is playing it almost like a Cruiser being mobile being attentive to the minimap so I know if i'm putting myself in danger of a big hit.  Disengaging sooner rather than later.  It has a great heal it CAN do great damage it is very squishy IMO and when you fire at a broadside it's like eating a box of mystery flavor Jelly beans,  sometimes you get something delicious, sometimes you get the booger coated vomit flavor.   Don't play it like a battleship play it like a long rage HE spammer/sniper and you might pull out a nice game or two.

Edited by MoeLykit

[-K-]
Members
7,668 posts
12,606 battles
33 minutes ago, Arlensauce93 said:

Fire HE all day long , angle from shells , except sinop, he will still hurt you and burn ships down while printing ships yourself with super heal.

I dont think the general playstyle changes to much compared to other bb's . Just the ammo choice . And maybe try playing mid to far range and follow the flank or push. 

Colorado will easily overmatch Nelson's 25mm bow as well.  You have to know your opponents to know if you can bow tank effectively or not.  

If Nelson is top tier, it's pretty easy sailing.  But if you're up against T8s and T9s, your playstyle will need to be much more passive.  Almost every T8+ battleship can smash you pretty good, regardless of angling.

Also, while her HE is very strong, Nelson's 406mm AP can be very powerful as well.  Anyone sticking to just HE in her isn't unlocking her full potential.

Edited by Ace_04
  • Cool 1

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,534 posts
4,320 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Also, while her HE is very strong, Nelson's 406mm AP can be very powerful as well.  Anyone sticking to just HE in her isn't unlocking her full potential.

Asbo-freakin'-lutely. I despise people saying "Shes British, spam HE until the cows come home!" but Mouse and others have said in the past that while the HE is very strong, flexibility in ammo choices will net you the absolute best out of a given British BB. Nelson is no different. 

[-K-]
Members
7,668 posts
12,606 battles
26 minutes ago, Sledgehammer427 said:

Asbo-freakin'-lutely. I despise people saying "Shes British, spam HE until the cows come home!" but Mouse and others have said in the past that while the HE is very strong, flexibility in ammo choices will net you the absolute best out of a given British BB. Nelson is no different. 

For sure.  I don't normally spec for Expert Loader on battleships, but with the British I do, since both ammo types are very feasible.

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
676 posts
16,354 battles

Go slow look where the enemy is coming from and plan out where you want to be when you are fighting.   Try not to just go back and forth rather move a slow speed with a nice angle at the most dangerous ship to you.  Fire HE until the enemy thinks you are a HE noob and gives you broadside then hammer them with your AP.  Your AP is monsterous at close range, be sure to use it. 

Members
284 posts
4,664 battles

Dont get me wrong , broadside target, always use ap . But in today's game most ships just sail bow in , and usually by the time you switch to ap they are already turned around. 

So being watchful and alert is key if you wanna make use of your ammo . 

• Cool 1

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
676 posts
16,354 battles
2 hours ago, Arlensauce93 said:

Dont get me wrong , broadside target, always use ap . But in today's game most ships just sail bow in , and usually by the time you switch to ap they are already turned around. 

So being watchful and alert is key if you wanna make use of your ammo . 

A Indy made the bow in mistake to me last week at very close range.  He lasted one salvo and I got some pretty flags :Smile_medal:

Members
284 posts
4,664 battles
37 minutes ago, Black_Sheep9 said:

A Indy made the bow in mistake to me last week at very close range.  He lasted one salvo and I got some pretty flags :Smile_medal:

Good old indy with absolutely no armor. You can dev strike citadel ap or he . Also why I don't  take my indy out. 

Edited by Arlensauce93

[JACK]
Members
84 posts
22,113 battles

frankly I would love to see the Rodney in game perhaps with a what if up grade making her a bit faster with normal AP and HE placed at tier 8 with good secondaries . kind of English secondary BB for a change with hard hitting 16inch guns and improved armor to make her a true tank of course a warspite heal nothing crazy like the Nelson 

Edited by Judith_Chase

[TARK]
Members
4,851 posts
1,795 battles

So...returning to this topic after yet another pair of losses.

I currently am sitting on a 17% win rate in this ship.

What the hell?

4 wins and 19 losses?

I'm not a bad battleship player. I have a 56% win rate in battleships.

But whenever I'm in this ship, my teams are awful.

20191121_225503_PBSB517-Nelson_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay20191121_225503_PBSB517-Nelson_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay

What the hell am I doing wrong?

20191121_225503_PBSB517-Nelson_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay

20191121_231441_PBSB517-Nelson_37_Ridge.wowsreplay

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark

Members
155 posts
3,541 battles
On 11/21/2019 at 11:28 PM, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

4 wins and 19 losses?

it's not you.  Ever notice the rankings that (until yesterday) have been beside each ship in the after-battle team score page?  Most of the time, one team has many more experienced players.  It is so lopsided and consistent that it cannot be chance. The matchmaker is stacking the deck in favor of experienced players, and perhaps the ones that spend more doubloons.  That's why you're not closer to 50/50.  That's why the roflstomps have been so so bad these last few months.

Edited by Tigerspook

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.