You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Ice_Cream_Man_

What is best nation to start playing Carriers in

40 comments in this topic

Members
352 posts
9,512 battles

No clue on what is the difference in nations in carriers or if one nation has better planes even.  what is the best nation for a noob carrier player to start in if they have zero games in em.  If ya can list the strengths and weakness of the different nations carriers from low tier  to higher tier it would be great  also, thinking about playing carriers.

also which nation has the best high tier carrier and why.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Members
2,925 posts
94 battles
1 hour ago, The_Ice_Cream_Man_ said:

No clue on what is the difference in nations in carriers or if one nation has better planes even.  what is the best nation for a noob carrier player to start in if they have zero games in em.  If ya can list the strengths and weakness of the different nations carriers from low tier  to higher tier it would be great  also, thinking about playing carriers.

Try them yourself.

Don't expect people to answer your questions with the intent to help, as the forum is full of anti-CV scrubs like this guy:

[CONTENT REMOVED]

Edited by Rally_Vincent
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,634 posts
17,412 battles

This anti-CV scrub says please don't start. I'm trying to say it nicely too. Thank you for your cooperation!

• Cool 6
  • Boring 5

Members
784 posts
62 battles
1 hour ago, The_Ice_Cream_Man_ said:

USN is a bit easier and more forgiving (easy to use HE DBs, strong rockets, more plane HP). Plus Enterprise is probably the only and most OP CV tier by tier

IJN rewards you more for good Strikes (good torps, AP bombs vs pesky cruisers) but their planes are soooo squishy it hurts. More difficult but also more rewarding 

GZ sucks and can only be used to block a cap (with the hull of course) and use the secondary guns 

RN CVs I haven’t played yet but they look rather boring (only good plane HP is nice)

Long story short: I recommend to start with the USN line 

• Cool 3

Members
126 posts

Good evening folks! Just popping in to remind you to keep things civil, we get that some of you really don't like carriers, but please keep your criticisms constructive.
As for carriers, try starting with Americans, they're typically the most well-rounded of any nation and a good baseline

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1

[SIM]
Members
6,153 posts
10,192 battles

Hey OP, welcome to the friendly skies. The USN seems to be the most "general" CV tree in the game, with good performance across all the weapon types and no glaring weaknesses. That would be my suggestion for your first foray into CVs. The IJN and UK branches are also decent, though a bit more fiddly than the USN. 

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,440 posts
12,811 battles

The British CVs are the most forgiving to new players, as they are the only line currently in the game where you can maneuver your torpedo bombers and not have your aim go crazy and also because their planes are tankier than the others. The downside to them is their rockets are weak, the planes are slow, and the bombers are different from other nations and a bit more difficult to get the hang of.

The US CVs are the best for damage over time, being good at setting fires and causing floods. They also have the most powerful rockets and are the best line for hunting destroyers. The downside is they have very weak alpha damage.

The IJN CVs have decent alpha damage from their torpedoes and high alpha from their dive bombers, However their rockets are weak, and they are the worst at dealing with destroyers. They also are the most difficult to aim a good attack run with.

I hope this helps.

Members
31 posts
3,537 battles
3 hours ago, pikohan said:

This anti-CV scrub says please don't start. I'm trying to say it nicely too. Thank you for your cooperation!

I respectfully disagree. I started playing WoW because I had a particular interest for pre-1920 ships. When I started to encounter CVs, I hated them. Then I decided to play them just to understand how they work. That was very enlightening and helped me to understand how to defend against a CV attack. I would encourage the OP to play CVs as well, just to be prepared for what will come when you encounter a CV in the game (and you will). I picked the US carrier line, mainly because of the Midway (I am very far away from getting it yet, though). They work well, except that Langley, and to a lesser degree Ranger, are horribly slow ships. If you have +5% speed flags, use them on these ships.

Just one more thought: with the recent changes to AA defence, CVs are not as overpowered anymore as they used to be. I think the balance is now about right. I see the role of CVs now mainly in scouting and detecting DDs. In that role, they are a very useful addition to the game, IMHO.

Peter

• Cool 1

Members
210 posts
1,279 battles

The japanese, yes they are hard mode but with the current AA mess, youll need to learn good habits like pre dropping (because we cant choose how much planes we want to lose) and who to avoid (generally almost 90% of strikes are one way mission), my personal list of big no no no:

1. Usn cruisers

2. Usn bbs

3. Usn dd

Welcome to the CV club, prepare to be verbally abused in game, in the forum treated like trash and learn every month a different playstyle because WG have a weird itch for nerfing the CV every patch

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
17,319 posts
31,027 battles
3 hours ago, Rally_Vincent said:

Good evening folks! Just popping in to remind you to keep things civil, we get that some of you really don't like carriers, but please keep your criticisms constructive.

Dislike carriers?

After nearly five-thousand games played?

Try again.

It is not carriers I dislike, it is what Wargaming has done to them I dislike.

Constructive criticism? How about some general criticism instead?

Carrier controls; there might as well be none. Navigation is either by the point and drive until you hit something method, or by using Map mode waypoints.

If aircraft are being flown, there is ZERO fine course control of a carrier; only the crude control of Map mode waypoints. The only way to regain fine control of a carrier is to recall the currently active aircraft.

Carrier consumables; there is ZERO player control of these, they are 100% automatic.

Aircraft controls; oversensitive; prone to over correction on course changes unless a player can maintain a fine control with both WASD and the mouse.

Be prepared to stare at the tail of your aircrafts, for potentially minutes on end, while flying to a target. 

Attacking; unlike regular ships, which have a basic ‘lock and track’ for guns, and a visible suggestive guide for torpedoes; carrier attacks are 100% manual. If a player can’t master unassisted, predictive aiming, attacking with carrier aircraft is a potentially frustrating endeavor.

A steady hand is required to make attacks, in order to tighten the aiming reticle as much as possible. Of course; doing so must be balanced against the need to dodge anti-aircraft fire.

Anti-aircraft; it looks pretty, and has been praised by many; but if a player cannot master the various ways it’s effects can be mitigated, (the usual ‘don’t go near there,’ WASD, and patience,) then another potentially tremendous source of frustration.

Inconsistent, continually changing anti-aircraft mechanics don’t help much.

Scaling of anti-aircraft firepower is a continuing problem; if the carrier is top tier; things are bad for regular ship drivers. If the carrier is bottom tier, things can be VERY bad for the carrier driver.

Spotting; to an extent, one of the most normal mechanics.

Mostly revolving around spotting and being able to attack destroyers, there are situations where a carrier is almost completely dependent on its allies for spotting. This is mitigated somewhat if a player can develop an ability to initiate blind attacks against the expected location of a destroyer.

Generally; do the new carrier mechanics work?

With all of their warts, yes.

Benefits of one line over another?

I’ll leave the finer details to the others, but under RTS and now, I prefer the toughness of USN carriers/aircraft.

@qqwz gives a good explanation about why it is important to play carriers.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 3

[A_C_F]
Members
59 posts
1,771 battles

Honestly, dont start them until the fix them. Not only will you not havea good time in them under the current system but youll just be feeding into the CV play numbers so WG can lie to themselves that everything is "ok" as is.

That being said I've always been an ijn fan for the torps and speeds.

If your just starting the RN will be a lot more forgiving with their carpet bombers (higher fires and easier to hit) plus their rockets are almost insta flight so again, easy to hit with.

So if your unfamiliar I say RN to learn with. But as I said, just dont, not right now. Don't give WG the satisfaction until the do something to fix this hot CV garbage pile they created.

• Cool 4

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
3,296 posts
17,234 battles
6 hours ago, The_Ice_Cream_Man_ said:

4 hours ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

USN is a bit easier and more forgiving (easy to use HE DBs, strong rockets, more plane HP). Plus Enterprise is probably the only and most OP CV tier by tier

IJN rewards you more for good Strikes (good torps, AP bombs vs pesky cruisers) but their planes are soooo squishy it hurts. More difficult but also more rewarding 

GZ sucks and can only be used to block a cap (with the hull of course) and use the secondary guns 

RN CVs I haven’t played yet but they look rather boring (only good plane HP is nice)

Pretty much spot on with the USN and IJN.

RN has decent torps, but the Level bombers take some getting used to.

German CV is a flat out no for a beginner. Its just not in a good place at the moment. (though really no CV is in a good place at the moment)

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,420 posts
8,967 battles

This will be a good start to your carrier playing journey...expect your treatment and karma in game to go pretty much like this thread goes...Lots of love thrown at you from the surface ship crowd.     As for my advice..   I would not mess with CVs at this time... they're a mess and terribly hamstrung currently.   WGs latest idea to balance them has been been pretty much to turn them into a spotting and DD hunting class...  Tier scaling for them is a nightmare..reasonably manageable when you are top tier but atrociously frustrating when down tiered....especially at upper tiers.     I'm holding out until next round of adjustments..  Because since the rework they have pretty much made a drastic change in directions  with each "fix".  Unfortunately,  I'm getting a feeling we are getting pretty close to as good as they are going to get....If so don't bother.  Surface ship players just absolutely lost their minds over the increase in population of them..... IMO it appears WG has given in to that.   It's really not an enjoyable role currently.        

• Cool 1

[RAIN]
Members
284 posts
10,202 battles

best you start off with american CVs like me more forgiving less complex

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,691 battles

USN CVs offer the ability to hit any target at any time with any of the squadrons...assuming you can still hit a DD with the dive bombers high drop height.

IJN CVs require some skill at squadron selection to maximize their damage...plus they require precise aiming. The good news is their dive bombers are allowed to release closer to the water...so it is easier to HIT small ships but you do less damage. Those bombs are FUN against BBs though.

I havent played RN CVs yet.

But dont start right now. WG is still trying to figure out fleet air defense and their current strategy is just to make carriers impotent.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles

To start playing carriers, Japan. Hosho is an excellent ship.

[NUWES]
Members
3,638 posts
13,909 battles
5 hours ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

^I second this for all the reasons stated. 

7 hours ago, The_Ice_Cream_Man_ said:

RN CVs work fine but I don't recommend starting with them. They have level bombers instead of DBs so you are using a completely different skill for them than for the other lines. I recommend starting with the USN like Iron did above. Their CVs are the most straightforward and all-around effective in all situations. They aren't the best at everything but none of their planes are truly bad at anything. They also don't have any quirky mechanics or targeting to learn. 

Best carrier on its tier is Enterprise by far. Rocket planes are effective (more because she uses a lot of them than the quality of the rockets), the TBs have a short arming distance (and she drops three per run). Most of all her DBs hit very hard on a wide range of targets on her tier. Her DBs each drop 2 small AP bombs (total of 6) rather than 1 large AP bomb per plane that Shokaku does, and her bombs are accurate. They don't have a huge amount of pen compared to the IJN AP bombs but they reliably citadel and don't overpen cruisers and there are a lot of BBs on and below her tier that are vulnerable as well. They also hammer higher-tier cruisers. Ships that can be citadeled take huge amounts of damage. I got a devastating strike on a Yoshino with 5 citadel hits couple of days ago and I've done it to Tirpitz as well. Yuro has a video out on YouTube where I think he shows it at work. Because her AP bombers drop 6 bombs per pass they aren't useless against soft targets like DDs. They'll overpen like any other AP bombs but you can partially  make up for it with numbers.

She also has a good size airgroup on deck and regenerates planes rather fast. Another hidden benefit is her fighter consumable is really powerful. The area it covers is huge and I think it summons 12 planes which will annihilate almost any incoming strike even from Midway, Hak and Audacious. Enterprise's biggest downside is her planes are a bit slow. You can get around that somewhat by abusing islands, boosting into the attack, and attacking distracted targets. I like Enterprise even over the T10 CVs. None of them are particularly enjoyable to play. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,739 posts
10,757 battles
7 hours ago, The_Ice_Cream_Man_ said:

None. No nations.

Members
1,739 posts
10,757 battles
19 minutes ago, Report_CVs said:

Youre still salty at my presence. Looks like CVs are where they belong, IN the trash on the way to the landfill.

Omegalul 

lol

[SFROG]
Beta Testers
120 posts
7,159 battles

As someone who isn't even Anti-CV, my recommendation right now is: Don't start any.  

Wargaming still hasn't figured out how to make a cv-inclusive game that doesn't HEAVILY favor one side or the other.  Right now, they're 2/3 into a set of patches which neuter CV's into the grave.  Regretfully, I had to play mine to get the Francoflakes this week, contributing to the "Rework is a success" narrative.  Right now, AA is so powerful that you will wind up deplaned regardless of regen, unless you spend half the game barely playing, or get lucky enough to wind up against a team of full taters.  If it weren't for francoflakes mine would still be shelved, and will be back to being shelved since I got my flakes done.

• Cool 1

Members
2,925 posts
94 battles
34 minutes ago, Report_CVs said:

Youre still salty at my presence. Looks like CVs are where they belong, IN the trash on the way to the landfill.

Omegalul 

Do yourself a favor and get out of this thread

Your presence is not welcome.

Edited by RyuuohD_NA
  • Cool 3

[UWANK]
Members
102 posts
10,391 battles

Right now it seems like the American line is the best all around tree, the Japanese line aircraft along with The Graf Zep planes are too fragile especially when uptiered,  The British line has tough plane but with their lower avg speeds can be difficult to maintain decent air craft reserves although the attack planes are very good against isolated DDs and cruisers in most cases.