You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

500 y/o shipwreck found in surprisingly good condition

17 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,212 posts
22,502 battles

RcKY9V5.gif

The almost intact wreck of a 500 y/o ship has been found at the bottom of the Baltic sea. The 16 - 18 meter long wreck still has the masts standing, capstan intact, anchors present, swivel guns still in their mounts and the tender boat still leaning against the mast. The origin of the ship is not known at this time. The wreck was discovered 10 years ago as a suspicious anomaly on a side scan sonar of the area, but it has taken until now to properly examine and map the ship. A 3D model was created based on pictures and scans, and is animated above.

• Cool 10

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

When you think about it, it's not that surprising that the wreck is in good condition. The Baltic is cold, choked with ice for half the year, and has relatively little oxygen in it, ideal conditions for preserving a shipwreck. Another example can be found in Arctic wrecks like the HMS Breadalbane or, more famously, the Erebus and the Terror.

[RLGN]
Members
16,809 posts
29,422 battles
40 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

...or, more famously, the Erebus and the Terror.

Spoiler

750px-Bg_erebus_1.jpg

Erubus and Terror, Azur lane...

HMS_Erebus_I02.jpg

Erubus,

HMS_Terror_(I03).jpg

...and Terror.

Actually thought about these four first, before clicking your link and remembering the correct context.

[KIA-C]
SuperTest Coordinator
352 posts
10,670 battles

Very cool

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
44 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

When you think about it, it's not that surprising that the wreck is in good condition. The Baltic is cold, choked with ice for half the year, and has relatively little oxygen in it, ideal conditions for preserving a shipwreck. Another example can be found in Arctic wrecks like the HMS Breadalbane or, more famously, the Erebus and the Terror.

The Great Lakes used to be really good at preserving wrecks but only Lake Superior is cold enough to not be infested with Zebra Mussels now.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles
5 hours ago, JohnPJones said:

if they don't know the origin how do they know it's 500yr old?

They're probably dating it based on the general construction (certain eras saw certain trends come and go) and the age of the guns they've found.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles
11 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The Great Lakes used to be really good at preserving wrecks but only Lake Superior is cold enough to not be infested with Zebra Mussels now.

Sad but true. I really wish that Canada and the States could work together on a project to clean out invasive species in the Lakes like zebra mussels and carp.

11 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:
  Hide contents

750px-Bg_erebus_1.jpg

Erubus and Terror, Azur lane...

HMS_Erebus_I02.jpg

Erubus,

HMS_Terror_(I03).jpg

...and Terror.

Actually thought about these four first, before clicking your link and remembering the correct context.

To paraphrase Indiana Jones, "Anime. Why did it have to be anime?"

[RLGN]
Members
16,809 posts
29,422 battles
Just now, 1Sherman said:

To paraphrase Indiana Jones, "Anime. Why did it have to be anime?"

Well, not quite anime, a gatcha game; but I have heard rumors...

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Well, not quite anime, a gatcha game; but I have heard rumors...

vault.jpg.2340796b82213f00c0f98d2f9cb989f5.jpg

But seriously, I thought the term 'anime' also referred to the art style as a whole.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
42 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Sad but true. I really wish that Canada and the States could work together on a project to clean out invasive species in the Lakes like zebra mussels and carp.

The question is how do you eradicate an invasive species without wiping out native species. This and the carp in the Mississippi are going to end up being a way to muck with the genetics so their reproduction rates crash and we are not there yet.

[RLGN]
Members
16,809 posts
29,422 battles
29 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

But seriously, I thought the term 'anime' also referred to the art style as a whole.

In that context, then yes.

To also be serious; I really did think about the monitors first. I think both were at The Dardanelles, (1915,) and at D-Day, or at least a decent time into WW2. Pretty good for a couple of dumpy, slow ships using leftover turrets.

I’d actually read a web article recently about the Franklin Expedition (I think...) and their Erubus and Terror, but didn’t recall that until clicking on your link.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,387 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

They're probably dating it based on the general construction (certain eras saw certain trends come and go) and the age of the guns they've found.

:Smile_amazed:Guns on a Non Chinese Ship 500 Years Old:Smile_sceptic:You Jest!

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles
9 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

:Smile_amazed:Guns on a Non Chinese Ship 500 Years Old:Smile_sceptic:You Jest!

A cannon is a kind of gun. As well, by the 1500s most of Europe was using matchlock firearms.

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles
10 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

In that context, then yes.

To also be serious; I really did think about the monitors first. I think both were at The Dardanelles, (1915,) and at D-Day, or at least a decent time into WW2. Pretty good for a couple of dumpy, slow ships using leftover turrets.

Fair enough. I suppose that an Okie wouldn't really have a good reason to know about one of the most famous pieces of Canadian history.