You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
flotsomjetsom

FtP vs Premium

72 comments in this topic

[OGZR]
Members
7 posts
2,437 battles

There is a huge discrepancy between Free to Play and subscribed players. I believe there is terrible mismatch with ships when battles are played with both involved. There seems to be imbalance in armor/fire power that I can't seem to explain any other way. When I can unload everything I have (excluding torps when applicable) and do next to nothing to an opposing  ship with 80% hit rate and in turn he kills me with less then 25% of that same number of hits there is something definitely amiss. I will be the first to admit that I am far from proficient in tactics and use of all my ship's attributes but trading barrages with a similar ship or one with few more hit points then mine and experiencing the same outcome as described above is not acceptable. I think a separation of the 2 groups of players should be used or at least optional to the FtP player. I can not compete with a store bought ship or one with options obtained by a subscription to the game.  That includes coinage obtained through a subscription which is used to purchase upgrades that can't be obtained through general game earned currency.  These are my thoughts on the matter as I see them. If anyone has another explanation to the problems in aforementioned battles I would be glad to read them. Remember....I said relatively equal ships and my hit rate is more than 2-3x better that the ship that kills me. 

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Members
5,789 posts
11,624 battles

The differences between playing for free and premium are well documented and have nothing to do with how much damage a captain can do.  There are a zillion possible reasons for the things you mention and with zero idea of the ships involoved no one can come to any conclusion.  Post a replay of the issues you see and you can get a lot of answers.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,251 posts
22,540 battles

Going to need a replay, yes. Also, I would very much like to know where one can buy these upgrades that are only available to people with premium and are apparently so powerful as to make it unfair to play against if you're FtP. Surely if such a thing existed there would be plenty of documentation, youtubes, guides etc on the subject.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[NYAAR]
Members
2,998 posts
15,966 battles

there is no gameplay difference between a FTP and a 'subscribed' (Premium time) player. All the Premium time player gets is a bit more XP and credits post battle.

Everything else you are describing really has nothing to do with a premium ship being OP compared to a tech tree ship. Any ship in the game can be sunk by another. I have seen 'OP' Premium ships deleted in a second by FTP ships many times.

The issue reads more like your tactics and where you are shooting are at issue.

If you have a replay available of what you are referring to, it could be a big help. We could then see what you are experiencing and possibly tell you what we see from it. 

Edited by Lord_Slayer
  • Cool 2

Members
2,265 posts
30,025 battles

Some people shoot at boats. Other people shoot at particular areas of boats. This is the major difference in hits and damage.

• Cool 6

[O_O]
Members
7,163 posts
18,038 battles

I was a free player for three years, except for the occasional premium time I won.  Last Christmas I bought a year of premium time for 50% off.

I can tell you with no doubt in my mind there is no gameplay advantage to a premium account.  I earn more silver and more XP, but that is it.

With 2,000 battles you are starting to get a pretty good grasp of how the game works...but you obviously aren't "fully woke" yet.  You still don't understand how some things happen.  That's okay, it certainly can take a while to understand the 'how's' and why's' in this game.  Heck, I still don't completely understand armor thickness and ammo penetration.

[DCMA]
Beta Testers
1,746 posts
23,438 battles

Your hit ratio is 28% roughly the server average, 80%would be 3 times better than the average which should mean you are wrecking the player base. Keep at it, with number of games played your fun factor "should" improve.

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
24,142 battles

@flotsomjetsom There are no players paying a subscription fee for this game. 

There are those who purchase Warships premium time and that money helps to keep the game Free to Play for everyone including us. The individual benefits are increased XP and Credit earnings. 

We also purchase Premium Ships and other Premium items for the same reasons.

I have been playing WoT, WoWP and WoWs staring in 2011. I can assure to you that other than WoT, WoWP Premium ammo has helped me play better. Not a single cent spent on anything can make a player better. I am proof of that.

Therefore your perceived discrepancies are baseless. Players with higher damage averages, hit rates and experience earning are better than average players. They were better to start with and will be better for however long they play whether they buy any Premium items or not.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,715 posts
24 minutes ago, flotsomjetsom said:

There is a huge discrepancy between Free to Play and subscribed players. I believe there is terrible mismatch with ships when battles are played with both involved. There seems to be imbalance in armor/fire power that I can't seem to explain any other way. When I can unload everything I have (excluding torps when applicable) and do next to nothing to an opposing  ship with 80% hit rate and in turn he kills me with less then 25% of that same number of hits there is something definitely amiss. I will be the first to admit that I am far from proficient in tactics and use of all my ship's attributes but trading barrages with a similar ship or one with few more hit points then mine and experiencing the same outcome as described above is not acceptable. I think a separation of the 2 groups of players should be used or at least optional to the FtP player. I can not compete with a store bought ship or one with options obtained by a subscription to the game.  That includes coinage obtained through a subscription which is used to purchase upgrades that can't be obtained through general game earned currency.  These are my thoughts on the matter as I see them. If anyone has another explanation to the problems in aforementioned battles I would be glad to read them. Remember....I said relatively equal ships and my hit rate is more than 2-3x better that the ship that kills me. 

This game is far more complicated than you think.

At 1,900 games you’ve barely learned the basics.  I was twice as good a player at 3,000 games than I was at 2,000,  At 6,000 games, I’m 4x as good as I was at 3,000.

Read the WoWS wiki.   Learn everything it has to say on the topic of mechanics.   Your game will improve.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,251 posts
22,540 battles
14 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I can tell you with no doubt in my mind there is no gameplay advantage to a premium account.

But of course there is. Everyone who ever had premium time had to sign an NDA about those gameplay benefits, and it's a conspiracy to never mention them even on private websites, don't post pictures of them, don't post youtubes about them, etc. It's a flawless, world-wide conspiracy that's maintained and everyone except OP knows about.

Either that, or he doesn't understand that target priority, ammunition selection and aim have a profound impact on gameplay performance.

But, nah, let's go with the conspiracy theory about magic upgrades available only to premium users. Sounds much more believable.

• Funny 6
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
22,287 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

But of course there is. Everyone who ever had premium time had to sign an NDA about those gameplay benefits, and it's a conspiracy to never mention them even on private websites, don't post pictures of them, don't post youtubes about them, etc. It's a flawless, world-wide conspiracy that's maintained and everyone except OP knows about.

Either that, or he doesn't understand that target priority, ammunition selection and aim have a profound impact on gameplay performance.

But, nah, let's go with the conspiracy theory about magic upgrades available only to premium users. Sounds much more believable.

Shhhhhh You were supposed to keep quiet gawd:cap_wander_2:

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,251 posts
22,540 battles
2 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

Shhhhhh You were supposed to keep quiet gawd:cap_wander_2:

Meh, I'm not afraid of no KGB. Besides, if such benefits and upgrades for premium really existed, you'd think WG would advertise it heavily to get as many people to buy premium as possible, don't you think?

Hang on, the doorbell.

OH SH~

• Funny 5
  • Boring 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,452 posts
10,752 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Meh, I'm not afraid of no KGB. Besides, if such benefits and upgrades for premium really existed, you'd think WG would advertise it heavily to get as many people to buy premium as possible, don't you think?

Hang on, the doorbell.

OH SH~

source.gif

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,372 posts
8,477 battles
33 minutes ago, flotsomjetsom said:

Ive been a ftp player for over 2 years now and have not noticed any appreciable decline in my WR. The only problem Im having is that my hit rate is lower because I dont play as often as I used to.

As much as I have complained in the past about this game being over simplified there are MANY things you still need to understand. Failing to understand armour layouts, penetration, angling your ship etc, WILL cost you in gun fights. Some captain skills are critical to certain classes of ships for extra survival and for guns to be more effective at certain targets, or more specifically certain AREAS of targets.

Of course, there is the almighty RNGesus, who always has a part to play in the outcome of any gun fight. No matter how well you aim, angle your ship or how much better your captain skills are than your opponent, if RNGesus decides you will sink....it will be so!

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,251 posts
22,540 battles
5 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

source.gif

Hello, am Lert. Everything is fine. The KGB did not come, it was wrong number. Package arrival from capitalist amazon. Neighbour wanted to borrow salt for borscht. Am fine comrade, nothink to see here.

• Funny 5
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,251 posts
22,540 battles
13 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

Of course, there is the almighty RNGesus, who always has a part to play in the outcome of any gun fight. No matter how well you aim, angle your ship or how much better your captain skills are than your opponent, if RNGesus decides you will sink....it will be so!

While that is true, a player can do a lot by putting himself in the right position, selecting the right ammo and shooting at the right target at the right time. While every salvo is a roll of the dice, you can do a lot to ensure you get to roll as many dice as you can, and if you roll 20 dice vs someone who rolls 5, you're much more likely to roll more 6s than him.

• Boring 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,407 battles
1 hour ago, flotsomjetsom said:

My friend, while premium players get better credit earnings and more experience...and thus easier cracks at all sorts of economic loot that makes acquiring small combat buffs EASIER...the biggest problem you are likely experiencing is a lack of skill.

I'm completely free2play and I enjoy taking my slightly inferior ships (not full premium consumables...not all the bonus flags) and still wrecking face against the wallet warriors.

My point is that if you are going to play for free...accept that you wont have all the cool ships, or the number of consumables and flags the paying players receive. Resolve to become good enough that you can kick their [edited].

...and also RNG (really the marketing program) will try to convince you to buy premium ships or cool things like retraining captains. Most of the paying players here think its random. It is not. If this business model offends you, find another game...or get good enough to wreck the face of the wallet warriors who havent ground up to tier 10 with the equivalent of training weights on like you and I will have done.

[AOI]
Members
282 posts
On 7/28/2019 at 9:32 AM, flotsomjetsom said:

It does seem that way sometimes but after 10k games I can assure you it happens even against non premium players..Some games my RNG is real bad and salvos seem to do very little damage and I get minimum damage output from every hit..I get free premium time often and during those times I have a premium account I still see the same results in some games..

Remember RNG is a big part of this game and while you as a player can do things to help put RNG in your favor other times RNG just hates us all...Here is an example yesterday I took my Kirov out that has a 16% fire chance on every HE shell hit that is to say out of 100 hits I could set 16 fires well over 3 games yesterday and hundreds of hits to enemy ships I set 6 fires and concluded my fire chance percent was around 2% per game during those 3 games yesterday well below the 16%.  That is bad RNG and my damage output was well below what I average and expected..I switched to another ship for a while..

If you do not understand how to use the in game currency you earn just ask on the wow forums or do a google search..Do not rush to get to the next tier and over time you will build your in game currency up..

It will get better for you as it did for me..Watch some video tutorials on you tube and try to stay with your team mates during a game and your skill improves..

Edited by timinindiana

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,709 battles
41 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

My point is that if you are going to play for free...accept that you wont have all the cool ships, or the number of consumables and flags the paying players receive.

To be fair, it depends on how much you play.

For example, I play 4-5 games a day, and if I get 2 (resource) crates, I can't use all the ESCL flags I get. If I played 15 games a day, and got all 3 crates, I wouldn't get enough of those flags to cover all my games.

[PUMA]
Members
1,238 posts
11,268 battles

I upgraded to premium time and also have gotten a few premium ships.

So I get more XP and silver per game but otherwise there is no difference between them and my regular ships.

One thing I have not figured out, on my Premium Cruisers is it better to install the Exocet missiles or the Cruise missiles after installing the stealth upgrade?

• Funny 2

[NONE]
Members
4,076 posts
12,606 battles
2 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

Some people shoot at boats. Other people shoot at particular areas of boats. This is the major difference in hits and damage.

Bingo.

There's more to aiming than just straddling the target.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,407 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

To be fair, it depends on how much you play.

For example, I play 4-5 games a day, and if I get 2 (resource) crates, I can't use all the ESCL flags I get. If I played 15 games a day, and got all 3 crates, I wouldn't get enough of those flags to cover all my games.

No argument there. But you have to make a concerted effort to get those bonuses. You have to work for them.

But they are only small bonuses, and personal skill can overcome them most of the time. And that can be quite fun.

[APES]
Members
1,496 posts
10,117 battles

You have to learn where to shoot on the ship.  Usually if the ship is broadside use AP just at or above the water line, middle of ships.  If the ship is angled, use HE and aim at the super structure, aim for a spot that isn't already saturated with damage.  This is just a general rule that is not always optimal.  Some ships have different armor schemes.  Also distance makes a huge difference.  Most guns lose accuracy and increase dispersion the farther away you get.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,709 battles
37 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

No argument there. But you have to make a concerted effort to get those bonuses. You have to work for them.

But they are only small bonuses, and personal skill can overcome them most of the time. And that can be quite fun.

Yeah, I think too many are focussed on what others can do, as opposed to what they themselves can do.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,251 posts
22,540 battles
2 hours ago, timinindiana said:

16% fire chance on every HE shell hit that is to say out of 100 hits I could set 16 fires

Incorrect. Ships have innate fire resistance, there are fire resist skills and hits on an area that is already on fire can't set another fire.