You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
General_Lee_Miserable

French DD Captain Spec

21 comments in this topic

[MISRY]
Members
1,043 posts
7,657 battles

What are you all running on your French DD captains?

This is what I have so far. Only 16 points for now. Running premium flags like crazy to get to 19 before Kleber arrives. 

1 point: PM

2 point: EM, LS

3 point: Si

4 point: CE, IFHE 

Debating between BFT or SE for the last skill. 

Your thoughts? 

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,023 posts
10,383 battles
6 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

This is what I have so far. Only 16 points for now. Running premium flags like crazy to get to 19 before Kleber arrives. 

Your thoughts? 

DItch EM for AR.

Add BFT.

[KIA-C]
Members
3,831 posts
17,012 battles

I use IFHE on my Aigle captain because 27mm HE pen at T6 is just strong. But if you're planning on going T10, I wouldn't recommend keeping IFHE, especially after the IFHE change.

I would probably do something like

PT/PM

LS / AR

BFT/SE/DE or SI

CE

Members
765 posts
72 battles
On 7/28/2019 at 1:08 PM, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Your thoughts? 

Have a hard time figuring these out as well.

1. Do understand PM but have gone with PT at first point because how many that targets me will tell me how long I can engage before I need to disengage.

2. LS because I need to have guns trained on target while kiteing

3 SE for higher tiers for shure, but for T5-6 ive gone with BFT so far.

4 CE.

5. EM because I need to have guns trained on target while kiteing

After this its hard to tell without experience in T7-10 ships. Maybe AFT is worth it with those russian shell arcs of the T8-10? 

Maybe BFT isnt worth it at higher tiers, not sure. Maybe swith to SE/DE?!

Anyone knows if the turrets gets faster in the higher tiers? Just seems lika such a waste to use 2 cap.skills for EM on a DD?! At the same time you cant manouver without your guns getting untrained on target without it.

What do you guys think of AFT? Can Mogador and Kleber hit at that range?

[EQRN]
Members
2,301 posts
21,469 battles
18 hours ago, vak_ said:

DItch EM for AR.

Add BFT.

Turret traverse on Aigle blows; initial stats on some of the tech tree DDs show lousy traverse as well.  Believe me, I hate spending points on EM for DDs, but unless you want to sail in straight lines or watch your dpm approach zero because you're always out turning your guns, EM is nice.

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,443 battles

Hey Captains,

It is nice to see you all talking about the French DDs and how captains should be specced. 

Feel free to take a look at this guide that I wrote up. It might not be 100% correct and it won't fit everyone's playstyle =).

For those you have unlocked some of the French DDs or played the premium ones, what would be your biggest tip to someone just learning them?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[UFFA]
Members
2,116 posts
75 battles
1 hour ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

Have a hard time figuring these out as well.

1. Do understand PM but have gone with PT at first point because how many that targets me will tell me how long I can engage before I need to disengage.

2. LS because I need to have guns trained on target while kiteing

3 SE for higher tiers for shure, but for T5-6 ive gone with BFT so far.

4 CE.

5. EM because I need to have guns trained on target while kiteing

After this its hard to tell without experience in T7-10 ships. Maybe AFT is worth it with those russian shell arcs of the T8-10? 

Maybe BFT isnt worth it at higher tiers, not sure. Maybe swith to SE/DE?!

Anyone knows if the turrets gets faster in the higher tiers? Just seems lika such a waste to use 2 cap.skills for EM on a DD?! At the same time you cant manouver without your guns getting untrained on target without it.

What do you guys think of AFT? Can Mogador and Kleber hit at that range?

If you are going to co-op AFT is nice. I've got the V-VI-VIII. I know I would derp with these ships with AFT at range in a random battle because of evil WASD hax. However for co-op AFT lets you rain down on the bots with enough time to adjust course when they start firing back.

Edited by Sparviero

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
1,758 posts
10,016 battles

I dropped AFT for RDF but sort of miss it. Dropping shells on BBs/CLs from like 15km+ at 52kts was glorious. 

Cries in old Khaba. :Smile_sad:

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
1,758 posts
10,016 battles
21 hours ago, vak_ said:

DItch EM for AR.

Add BFT.

At the tier 9, if you run the reload module your turrets can't keep up with your turn speed (when needed). The turret rotation, IIRC, is 20+ seconds. EM helps a lot and drops it to around 16.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,023 posts
10,383 battles
9 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Turret traverse on Aigle blows; initial stats on some of the tech tree DDs show lousy traverse as well.  Believe me, I hate spending points on EM for DDs, but unless you want to sail in straight lines or watch your dpm approach zero because you're always out turning your guns, EM is nice.

7 hours ago, RenamedUser_1001178780 said:

At the tier 9, if you run the reload module your turrets can't keep up with your turn speed (when needed). The turret rotation, IIRC, is 20+ seconds. EM helps a lot and drops it to around 16.

It doesn't matter how slow that traverse is, AR is still more valuable than EM. At 50% health AR acts just like more expensive BFT -- actually, better, since AR also improves torpedo reload.

Mogador play style is mostly pewpewing from 12+ km range, you don't exactly need EM to be doing that, but you do need every ounce of gun DPM that you can get.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
On 7/28/2019 at 7:08 PM, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Your thoughts? 

On my Guepard I run for now with 17-point captain:

PT 

EM, LS, AR,

SE, SI

CE

I would recommend SE for the last skill. You already have booster to have extra dpm when needed, in this situation, BFT is too expensive to justify.

I use EM because I contest caps a lot and being able to turn turrets faster is all too important. 

I'm thinking about trying AFT+DE build just to make the ship more memeworthy. 15.6 km range is hilarious at T6 on a DD that does 44 knots, although hitting anything at that range will be a challenge.

22 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I use IFHE on my Aigle captain because 27mm HE pen at T6 is just strong. But if you're planning on going T10, I wouldn't recommend keeping IFHE, especially after the IFHE change.

Not sure about IFHE especilly with the upcoming changes. Yes, 27mm of pen would be nice, but realistically, what does it allow you to add to your damage totals? You'll be able to pen extremities of most BBs in your MM spread and plating of all cruisers. But first of all, some BBs and cruisers have reinforced deck armor so it's useless there, secondly, I'd rather use AP on cruisers and if you don't get a nice broadside it's pointless to try and duel a cruiser since your guns are not that accurate.

At T9-T10 IFHE on French DDs is worthless, just like it is with Soviet 130-mm gunboats. You spend 4 points on a skill that adds negligible amount of damage to your totals.

Edited by geser98

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
1,758 posts
10,016 battles
39 minutes ago, vak_ said:

It doesn't matter how slow that traverse is, AR is still more valuable than EM. At 50% health AR acts just like more expensive BFT -- actually, better, since AR also improves torpedo reload.

Mogador play style is mostly pewpewing from 12+ km range, you don't exactly need EM to be doing that, but you do need every ounce of gun DPM that you can get.

TBH, I don't find AR that useful on the Mogador. EM is active all the time, AR isn't really useful until you've lost half your health, and I've found I usually have most of my health for quite a while. I used the AR skill and whatnot up until last night and had a rough time with the Mogador up until then. 

Also, I think one of the strengths of the Mogador is its ability to push DDs and not just shooting from. 12+ Km out. You could play it like an old Khaba but you'd be missing out on some of its abilities. If you want to do this, you need EM, not having it makes it really difficult to stay engaged. 

[SIM]
Members
5,908 posts
9,432 battles

Right now I’m running a 15 point captain on Siroco and Vauquelin, as follows:

PT

EM LS

SE BFT

CE

Trying to decide if its worth it to spec into IFHE, or if I should try DE or SI along with PM. 

[KIA-C]
Members
3,831 posts
17,012 battles
1 hour ago, geser98 said:

Not sure about IFHE especilly with the upcoming changes. Yes, 27mm of pen would be nice, but realistically, what does it allow you to add to your damage totals? You'll be able to pen extremities of most BBs in your MM spread and plating of all cruisers. But first of all, some BBs and cruisers have reinforced deck armor so it's useless there, secondly, I'd rather use AP on cruisers and if you don't get a nice broadside it's pointless to try and duel a cruiser since your guns are not that accurate.

At T9-T10 IFHE on French DDs is worthless, just like it is with Soviet 130-mm gunboats. You spend 4 points on a skill that adds negligible amount of damage to your totals.

As I said, IFHE works with Aigle because it's a T6 and most ship you'll face will have 25mm armour, T8 German cruiser having 27mm armour. IFHE Aigle is very strong right now.

However with the IFHE change I'll see if it's worth keeping it for Aigle but for high tier, IFHE is definitely not as usefull as for T6.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
33 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

As I said, IFHE works with Aigle because it's a T6 and most ship you'll face will have 25mm armour, T8 German cruiser having 27mm armour. IFHE Aigle is very strong right now.

First of all, even with hard-to-hit French gunboats it's unwise to get into a HE exchange with a cruiser so for those you use AP on broadside like with any destroyer. Get in close and blap them out of the water. In Guepard, I've hit Omahas, Furutakas, Aobas and Kirovs for 10-12k a salvo in a broadside and if you pop reload booster, they melt in seconds.

Use of IFHE to spam battleships is questionable even at T5. Yes, you can pen extremities and superstructure, yet at the same time RU, KM and IJN BBs with armored decks will foil most of your shells anyway (unless you shoot from very close range and can reliably land shells on bow/stern), yet you lose on fire chance and 4 points that can be spend with much more use on things like AFT (which will be important at high tiers), RPF or any of SE/SI/BFT.

I really doubt it's worth the investment.

Edited by geser98

Members
595 posts
6,638 battles

Si on French DD's is a total waste.  Don't take it.  Instead, mount the speed boost mod.  This gives three charges of 270 second duration speed boost.  That's 18 minutes right there.  It's essentially the whole match.  The only advantage to Si is the reload booster.  Relative to other 3 point skills (SE, BFT, and DE), it's simply not worth it.

I run PM, AR, LS, SE, BFT, IFHE amd CE.

Also, AFT seems nice until you see those shell arcs.

I think this is the optimal French DD build.  You could drop IFHE and run DE.  Maybe trade IFHE out for AFT, but this is far more dependent on your skill in aiming at max range than anything else.  Regardless, no Si.  It just doesn't make sense.

Edited by Uber_Ghost

[RLGN]
Members
16,841 posts
29,512 battles
On 7/28/2019 at 8:57 AM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Nothing.

No French DDs yet.

Good grief... Got a downvote on a post from a year and a half ago... :fish_boom:

Obviously, I do have Baguette DDs now.