Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
geser98

Guepard impressions

20 comments in this topic

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Got a mission for it from a normal container and so far had a few game to play. Mind you, it was Saturday night, so teams were... not exactly very good. But anyway, the ship.

She has surprised me a bit in being more of a multi-purpose DD, rather than a pure gunboat. With CE her detection is 6.8 km, which is not great, but manageable especially against T7 destroyers. Against T8 it's hopeless. At the same time her torpedoes are 8km, so there's a healthy window for stealth torping and torps themselves are pretty nice too. You have 2-triple launchers and torps themselves do 68 knots. A very-very nice speed for the tier. Very handy to torp smoked up DDs. Extremely useful mid or at the end of battle, when there's no enemy DDs left to wreck enemy BBs.

Guns are weird. First of all they have a horrific shell velocity of 700 m/s, which is almost 100 m/s slower than Farragut's shells. Simply terrible. The only redeeming ballistic quality is that they are heavier and don't seem to suffer from as much drag as USN shells do and ballistic trajectory is closer to a parabola rather then being almost vertical in the terminal phase like in case of Farragut again.

At the same time, other characteristics of guns are weird too. First off, the damage - you deal 2000 HE and 2600 AP damage with 5 guns. The damage is somewhat low considering Fubuki at that tier already gets type 50 guns that deal 2150 HE per shell, but Guepard has higher caliber at 139 mm. She also has the same fire chance as IJN DDs at 9%. This is highly confusing given that Guepard has 42 kg HE shell, while Fubuki's shells are 23 kg. What is that remaining 19 kilograms filled with then? Croissants? 

Agility-wise Guepard is pretty meh without consumables. Her base speed is 36 kn, which is just about average, but her rudder shift is 5.8 seconds, which is bad especially for a gunboat with no smoke. You definitely need to take rudder mod in slot 4. 

With speed boost active you break 43 knots and it feels very comfortable and quite easy to dodge incoming fire. By default your speed boost in 3 minutes 45 seconds I believe but you can bump it up to 4:30 with Speed Boost Mod 1. Not sure if it's worth it though. With both Special Upgrade and SI you won't have enough time in normal match to use up all 4 speed boosts. But at the same time SI feels pretty important for these ships especially for the burst damage potential with Reload Booster.

Finally, she has up to 17k HP with SE, which is really good for the tier and you can easily out-trade any enemy DD. The gameplay is fun and quite varied - you can go hunting enemy DDs, still able to contest caps often. You can just run around spamming HE and setting BBs on fire (specially so easy with reload booster active). When DDs are dealt with, you can switch to sneaky mode and stealth torp big fat BBs and then set them on fire as soon as they repair the flooding. You can even get an island waifu like a USN DD and spam HE from cover with ease. It's a really comfortable combination of guns, speed, torps and stealth that make this ship work. I'll have to play her a bit more to truly make up my mind, but so far I'm thinking of keeping her for a bit and maybe shelling out some tokens for perma camo.

P.S. AA is downright terrible by the way. CVs will feast on this ship and with no smoke you can't hide.

Edited by geser98
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
On 7/28/2019 at 7:48 AM, MasterDiggs said:

Thanks for that

I forgot to mention one thing - the default range on Guepard's guns is 13km, but with AFT it's quite possible to extend it to a frankly ridiculous 15.6km, which means that you will outrange a lot of same-tier cruisers, namely Aoba, Dallas, Leander, Duca and Perth, most of lower-tier cruisers and even some cruisers of higher tiers. This gives you an ability to freely harass cruisers with impunity and spam battleships with no hope of retaliation for your targets.

I haven't tested this build yet, but if anyone does let me know how it went.

Having some fun games in the ship!

Spoiler

20190728193637_1.thumb.jpg.6b7e1abb98b8007dc0e170a51f3dced9.jpg

Spoiler

20190728193641_1.thumb.jpg.066f8d37210d289b32b9f5d9f274f569.jpg

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,723 posts
18,471 battles

Just got a Guepard mission in What seems like my tenth french container and my Aigle, Le Terrible and Friant all share a commander with AFT so can let you know what's it like when I run some games in her with said commander.

[GSN]
Beta Testers
21 posts
6,409 battles

I have so far played the 5-8 tier french dd. I cant stand any of them,  NO smoke but trash concealment, cant kill other dd's of the same tier faster than they can kill you because the main reload boost doesnt last nearly long enough...  overall i have to not like them, they need something to compensate for no smoke in this spotted instantly by cv metta right now. 

Members
12 posts
5,636 battles

Tier 5,6,7 french DDS are all garbage.  Turn like buses, as big if not bigger than some cruisers, slow acceleration, DPS is horrible, bad concealment.   I hope 8,9 and 10 are way way better.   Basically they are tuned down cruisers with the sell point that they are faster and have better concealment with 40% less hps and worse dps

Edited by Omega_gunner
  • Boring 1

Members
942 posts
1,352 battles

I have grinded most DD lines ut to VII, and RU and US to the X, and I can say frech DDs are by far the ones I get more fun and numbers.

Keep them moving at top speed and keep range to your enemies. Fires with HE are your friends.

Play them as russians but torps are way better.

Edited by Patosentado

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
3,498 posts
14,015 battles
7 hours ago, Patosentado said:

I have grinded most DD lines ut to VII, and RU and US to the X, and I can say frech DDs are by far the ones I get more fun and numbers.

Keep them moving at top speed and keep range to your enemies. Fires with HE are your friends.

Play them as russians but torps are way better.

The issue they have with that is sustainment.  The Russian boats are nearly as fast and agile but have repair party, flatter trajectories, and frankly better suited to harassing play style you mention.

French DDs IMO are probably the ultimate ambush ship.  They have great torps, crazy speed, and when you spend some time looking at the terminal ballistics you realize you have guns perfectly capable of wreck a CAs citadel in a MBRB orgy of death.  I am actually experimenting running less gun range on mine for faster disengagement.  

I want to stalk in using islands to cover my approach if DDs are around, and MBRB things that I jump.  Sitting undetected waiting for a friendly radar or other DD to spot enemy DDs is another game winning MBRB tactic.

Hit hard, then be pulling out before the enemy can focus you down.

• Cool 3

[SPTR]
Members
27,723 posts
18,471 battles

I played one game in the guepard its essentially an aigle but has mbrb instead of smoke its a very hard to play well due to no smoke and bad concealment even getting close to use mbrb you cannot do prolong close range knife fights because or short duration of the consumable and slow turning turrets.

you play like a RU DD or cruiser when its on cool down and a ambush interceptor gunboat when mbrb is good to go of course this is all more so possible with engine boost on.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,723 posts
18,471 battles
On 8/7/2019 at 12:58 AM, Ghostar_1 said:

Any captain skills info?

Is CE valuable giving you will be firing most of time?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/french-destroyers-branch-review/ WG's captain skill set recommendation just scroll halfway down the page to the Commander and Upgrades Paragraph

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PFSD106&modules=12121&upgrades=133300&commander=PCW001&skills=340836353&ar=100&consumables=122&lang=en what I had on my Guepard when I played her, captain was from Le Terrible/Aigle

it comes down to how you play her, they can do some long range gunnery support like RU DDs, but not as good as the latter if you play them like that then no CE isn't really needed for that playstyle, if you play them like ambush predatory gunboats which involves alot of sneaking to get the jump on enemy DDs then yeah definitely put CE on. 

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles

My own impressions, having just the first 2, are not very positive. They are not particularly fast compared to other DDs and they bleed speed badly in a turn. Recent game in Guepard where I was unable to disengage from a Russian T7 cruiser at near concealment range even with speed boost because every time I made a turn  (dodging shells) I was going slower than him. That and every hit took out my rudder or engine. I would bet that  most players would gladly trade that too short duration MBRB for smoke.

Then there is the nonexistent AA where you are screwed in any battle with a CV (or 2!)

The top tier ships may have the speed to make it work but none of these mid tier boats look like keepers and make me wonder if the line is worth it. Especially since, for some reason, WG thinks these DDs need nerfs.

• Cool 1

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
3,498 posts
14,015 battles
On 8/6/2019 at 10:58 AM, Ghostar_1 said:

Any captain skills info?

Is CE valuable giving you will be firing most of time?

See I don’t think you need to be shooting all the time.  CE opens opportunity for your torps that reload ridiculously fast, hit hard and with amazing arcs can stack all the torps pretty tight.  CE also lets you sneak up on broadside CA easier for some MBRB fun.

If you want to shoot all the time AFT is probably a better choice.  I just dislike it since it encourages you to play further out where your not able to hit spotted DDs as well.

Members
942 posts
1,352 battles

Quoting Sabot_100, no DD can survive a top tier RU cruiser pointing at you, sorry. That fast-firung rail guns can hit everything calculating turns and lead easily.

[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles
6 hours ago, Patosentado said:

Quoting Sabot_100, no DD can survive a top tier RU cruiser pointing at you, sorry. That fast-firung rail guns can hit everything calculating turns and lead easily.

My dodging was only marginally effective BUT...any other DD could have popped smoke and disappeared. Just straight line zoom. No need for speed bleeding dodges. Only need to fix the engine once after you smoke, then get the hell out of Dodge. By the time the cruiser clears the smoke, I am long gone. Needed less than 1K to disappear. No chance to do so with the Guepard (Gimpard® may be a good nickname for this boat)

Members
352 posts
9,512 battles

I don't think its worth getting CE or superintendent.  You gonna get outspotted at 6.8km with CE or at 7.5km without it.  I don't think it is worth spending the 4 pts for CE for the horrid detection.  You are basically gonna be running and shooting till all the dd dead cuz they will all outspot ya.

Essentially ur not a dd imo, its a light cruiser support ship till all the other dd dead.  You try to cap early you dead, you try to spot too far ahead you get spotted and dead, if dd and cruisers around.  Its an island humper or long range he spammer, not a dd.

Imagine a flint with no smoke, that's basically the French dds.

[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles
35 minutes ago, The_Ice_Cream_Man_ said:

I don't think its worth getting CE or superintendent.  You gonna get outspotted at 6.8km with CE or at 7.5km without it.  I don't think it is worth spending the 4 pts for CE for the horrid detection.  You are basically gonna be running and shooting till all the dd dead cuz they will all outspot ya.

I would disagree about CE. 7.5 concealment means you only have a .5K stealth torp launch window. Yes, you will still be outspotted by most DDs but giving them even more time to spot you while you can't see them is not a good thing. Gives him more time to turn away, launch torps, smoke up, invite his friends to join the party. You will (should) be shooting a lot but being able to go dark that much faster when you have to can be critical. Fights are rarely just 1v1 and sometimes the opponent is too tough. Do you really want to duke it out with a Helena or would your rather it be just a bit easier to get out of that hailstorm?

Edited by Sabot_100

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,182 battles

I much prefer t7 to t5 or t6.  Gun is too floaty and feel weak as a gun bote.  T7 starts to play stronger.  Gotten 120 k xp with it and it's a decent all around gunbote.   Running  LS and SE is a must imho.  Had some great matches with it.  Looking forward to t8 with better gun

• Cool 1

Members
12,624 posts
14,320 battles
On 8/1/2019 at 10:00 AM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

The issue they have with that is sustainment.  The Russian boats are nearly as fast and agile but have repair party, flatter trajectories, and frankly better suited to harassing play style you mention.

French DDs IMO are probably the ultimate ambush ship.  They have great torps, crazy speed, and when you spend some time looking at the terminal ballistics you realize you have guns perfectly capable of wreck a CAs citadel in a MBRB orgy of death.  I am actually experimenting running less gun range on mine for faster disengagement.  

I want to stalk in using islands to cover my approach if DDs are around, and MBRB things that I jump.  Sitting undetected waiting for a friendly radar or other DD to spot enemy DDs is another game winning MBRB tactic.

Hit hard, then be pulling out before the enemy can focus you down.

At least in my experience using the RN DDs I could say those tend to be the better ships at laying ambushes since they are so often deadly to other DDs, your smoke can cover your retreats or buy you just enough time to set fires before heading off. And their Torps have been good. Plus with hydro RN DDs gain even more options in their play.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,499 posts
12,237 battles
On 8/18/2019 at 8:33 PM, centarina said:

I much prefer t7 to t5 or t6.  Gun is too floaty and feel weak as a gun bote.  T7 starts to play stronger.  Gotten 120 k xp with it and it's a decent all around gunbote.   Running  LS and SE is a must imho.  Had some great matches with it.  Looking forward to t8 with better gun

I noticed a big jump between Tier VI and Tier VII. Tier VI was rough for me. Tier V was pretty OK. Tier VII was pretty decent (for the line... which I still think is overall very mediocre).

Sign in to follow this