You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hulks

Player stats fueling toxic behaviour

117 comments in this topic

Members
34 posts

Hi community,

I play this game because I have an interest in warships and because I enjoy military strategy and because frankly I cannot compete against the high speed reflects of kids on shooters like R6 siege! Those game are stressful, I play this game to relax :)

No everyone has this view, some perhaps highly competitive individuals get toxic even when I am doing well and check the stats, they email me to complain about my stats! I was even shot at by a BB because he thought I was retreating instead I was waiting for my torps to reload so I could go again. It's a public server and I for one am there to have fun.

So my suggestion is to hide player stats to help eliminate the toxic comparisons,

Thanks

• Cool 10
  • Boring 9

Members
4,272 posts
15,135 battles

You can disable them in your profile. 

edit: added pic, click the circle item. Itll set your profile to either public or private. Whichever you prefer.

stats.jpg

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma
  • Cool 2

[SPERG]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,545 posts
13,661 battles
1 minute ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

This ^

[PVE]
Members
20,171 posts
13,061 battles
4 minutes ago, Hulks said:

Hi community,

I play this game because I have an interest in warships and because I enjoy military strategy and because frankly I cannot compete against the high speed reflects of kids on shooters like R6 siege! Those game are stressful, I play this game to relax :)

No everyone has this view, some perhaps highly competitive individuals get toxic even when I am doing well and check the stats, they email me to complain about my stats! I was even shot at by a BB because he thought I was retreating instead I was waiting for my torps to reload so I could go again. It's a public server and I for one am there to have fun.

So my suggestion is to hide player stats to help eliminate the toxic comparisons,

Thanks

Just now, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Note, hiding your stats means that they can not be found on the WoWs site, but third party sites will have the stats for you right up until you hide them. So it may not stop all the complaints from the stat shamers.

• Cool 1

Members
231 posts
79 battles

Even the thinnest paper as two sides.  It's ok that you play the game to relax.  But many players play the game to win.  Why?  Because winning gets your missions done, winning gets you more xp, winning cuts down on the grind, winning gets your goals accomplished faster.  And many players not only respect their own time, they respect the time of the other players on their team.  So they give 110%.  You cannot fault them for getting angry with players when they fail to fulfill their 1/12 of their responsibility on the team.  In co-op, it's no big deal because even if a player derps or is even AFK, you can often still pull out a win.  But not in randoms.  If you're doing even less than half of the server average, you are severely hurting your team.

How much do you care about being dead weight in a team game?  Everyone's standards when it comes to principals vary.  If I couldn't be at least average on a consistent basis, I'd have a serious problem with that because of my principals.  To me, joining a team game toward the team objective is signing an unwritten social contract that I will fulfill my obligations as a valued member of the team.  Don't care if it's a game or a corporate project.  Team is team.  If I couldn't hack it, I'd play a different mode (again co-op) or fumble around in the training room or play a different game altogether.

That's just me.  Does that make me elitist?  Below average gutter forum trolls would say yes.  Except how do they explain that I have no issue with having average abled players on my team?  Being comfortable with average players that just barely do their fair share doesn't sound elitist to me.  It's like they don't know what the word means.

Hiding stats is just going to further enable bad players to make bad decisions and adopt bad habits and stunt their progression through the learning curve.  If so many rewards and missions and objectives weren't tied to winning, those that disagree with me would have a valid argument.  But they will never win that argument nor will they ever address that fact directly.  They'll just deflect as they always do.

• Cool 24
  • Boring 11

Members
231 posts
79 battles
10 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Note, hiding your stats means that they can not be found on the WoWs site, but third party sites will have the stats for you right up until you hide them. So it may not stop all the complaints from the stat shamers.

Plus if a player hides their stats, they're going to get it twice as bad.  All that does is openly admit the player knows their performance is so embarrassing, they have to hide it out of shame.

Edited by A_Burning_Sensation
  • Cool 7
  • Boring 6

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles

I always state this to those who care alot about "stats".

"I dont care what you done in the past, the only stats I care about are the ones you do in the current match."

No one is a bot who have mastered consistency with every new game patch. As human players that we are, we by nature have a level of consistency issues.

• Cool 6

Members
34 posts
9 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

edit: added pic, click the circle item. Itll set your profile to either public or private. Whichever you prefer.

stats.jpg

Sorry where is this? On this site or in game?

Thanks in advance

• Cool 1

Members
34 posts
1 minute ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

Even the thinnest paper as two sides.  It's ok that you play the game to relax.  But many players play the game to win.  Why?  Because winning gets your missions done, winning gets you more xp, winning cuts down on the grind, winning gets your goals accomplished faster.  And many players not only respect their own time, they respect the time of the other players on their team.  So they give 110%.  You cannot fault them for getting angry with players when they fail to fulfill their 1/12 of their responsibility on the team.  In co-op, it's no big deal because even if a player derps or is even AFK, you can often still pull out a win.  But not in randoms.  If you're doing even less than half of the server average, you are severely hurting your team.

How much do you care about being dead weight in a team game?  Everyone's standards when it comes to principals vary.  If I couldn't be at least average on a consistent basis, I'd have a serious problem with that because of my principals.  To me, joining a team game toward the team objective is signing an unwritten social contract that I will fulfill my obligations as a valued member of the team.  Don't care if it's a game or a corporate project.  Team is team.  If I couldn't hack it, I'd play a different mode (again co-op) or fumble around in the training room or play a different game altogether.

That's just me.  Does that make me elitist?  Below average gutter forum trolls would say yes.  Except how do they explain that I have no issue with having average abled players on my team?  Being comfortable with average players that just barely do their fair share doesn't sound elitist to me.  It's like they don't know what the word means.

Hiding stats is just going to further enable bad players to make bad decisions and adopt bad habits and stunt their progression through the learning curve.  If so many rewards and missions and objectives weren't tied to winning, those that disagree with me would have a valid argument.  But they will never win that argument nor will they ever address that fact directly.  They'll just deflect as they always do.

I never said I don't try, I can be very successful, sunk 6 ships in a match multiple times but I do try many different ships and this isn't always successful. There is a difference between trying and failing and being an idiot and ofc the worst is the team killer.

That's for your contribution I get it :)

• Cool 1

[Y0L0]
Members
627 posts
26,726 battles

" they email me to complain about my stats! "

You can't really blame them; your stats are awful.

" It's a public server and I for one am there to have fun. "

And some people are here to win.

" So my suggestion is to hide player stats to help eliminate the toxic comparisons "

No, that just highlights bad players. The correct solution is skill-based matchmaking, which we'll never get.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 9

Members
34 posts

Found it thanks again.

I just think there is no place for toxic behaviour no matter what. You wouldn't say it to my face so don't say it but that's our wonderful internet cowardice isn't it :)

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4

Members
1,969 posts

PROTIP: Disabling API access breaks Trolls mods in-game. You know the mod that categorizes all players according to their WR/KD ratio, etc? Yeah.... it won't work...

I like blind players. They're easier to surprise...

Oh... it also breaks those 3rd party websites like Maple Syrup (that trolls love to use)  to a degree. They provide information only on players with API access enabled. Which inherently means their stats are inaccurate somewhat. They cannot account for all the players with API access turned off.

The only truly authentic source of WoWs statistics is Wargaming themselves. Any other source is an inaccurate generalization at best.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[APES]
Members
718 posts
8,874 battles

until there is a matchmaker that takes into account WR and overall player quality the complaints and blame will never stop. Bad players waste a decent or good players time by reducing their overall xp gains and progress.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 5

Members
1,969 posts
1 minute ago, Ado1fCarsar said:

until there is a matchmaker that takes into account WR and overall player quality the complaints and blame will never stop. Bad players waste a decent or good players time by reducing their overall xp gains and progress.

Gimme a sec... gotta check your stats to figure out how to troll...

AHH! I see! :)

[PUMA]
Members
1,238 posts
11,268 battles
5 minutes ago, Hulks said:

Found it thanks again.

I just think there is no place for toxic behaviour no matter what. You wouldn't say it to my face so don't say it but that's our wonderful internet cowardice isn't it :)

I am out of thumbs up for the day so ...   :cap_like::cap_like::cap_like::cap_like::cap_like:

Stat shaming is for folks who do not know the first thing about statistics and the math behind it.

I told many of them that they are right and everyone with a WR less than theirs should be banned from randoms, clans and other competitive modes!

Of course this also means that our Stat Shamer is now the bottom of the barrel. Good luck with that !

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
6 minutes ago, Ado1fCarsar said:

*sigh*... Trust me you do not want this in the game....

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PUMA]
Members
1,238 posts
11,268 battles
7 minutes ago, Ado1fCarsar said:

Every battle has some good players, some average and yes, some below average players.

Now if we remove all players that are not up to YOUR level... guess what happens...

from now on YOU are the below average player ! Enjoy that for a moment!

• Cool 4
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[GOB]
Members
3,029 posts

I was told very early on to hide my stats.  Not just to frustrate the trolls ( and it SO does ) but to virtually eliminate their harassment.  They will say that you did it because you are embarrassed about your stats.... That's the most common.  They change their minds when you dev strike them in a game  or play on a server with you and see you always in the top 3.

Ignore them... its fun to know they twist in the wind.  FYI I open mine up to people all the time that PM me and we are looking at ways for me to get better on a ship.

Stats trolls are just a step higher than the ones that spell check posts.

Col Out

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
3,029 posts
21 minutes ago, Hulks said:

Found it thanks again.

10 minutes ago, freggo said:

I am out of thumbs up for the day so ...   :cap_like::cap_like::cap_like::cap_like::cap_like:

Stat shaming is for folks who do not know the first thing about statistics and the math behind it.

I told many of them that they are right and everyone with a WR less than theirs should be banned from randoms, clans and other competitive modes!

Of course this also means that our Stat Shamer is now the bottom of the barrel. Good luck with that !

1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Cool 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,489 posts
17,520 battles

Being a CB player, I don't measure by individual stats so much as by clan tag (more specifically gold to purple clans), it's honestly a more reliable indicator of player skill than any raw stats since gold to purple clanners are better team players in randoms I'd say 7 times out of 10 compared to silver to clanless and whether in div or not. And of course any 'stat shaming' against those players is going to be of the sore loser kind 99% of the time anyway.

But otherwise I don't look up stats for players who do poorly in any particular random match (since everyone has their bad games / I am potato moments) unless they are border hugging SE Yamato shooting HE the whole match level extra special bad.

Members
34 posts
9 minutes ago, freggo said:

Every battle has some good players, some average and yes, some below average players.

Now if we remove all players that are not up to YOUR level... guess what happens...

It's the arrogance of it isn't it :)

Also plenty of times I have been a great teamplayer but not got the glory, this isn't reflected in stats

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles
1 hour ago, Hulks said:

Hi community,

Thanks

If you're like me own those potato stats. Bring the hate.

[APES]
Members
718 posts
8,874 battles
46 minutes ago, freggo said:

That doesn’t make any sense. in any ladder system you get matched with people with similar WR ratio, if you consistently do worse than50% you’ll start playing with less skilled people and vice versa. This is how a match maker should work, not randomly distributing people just to match ship types.

• Cool 1

[APES]
Members
718 posts
8,874 battles
54 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

*sigh*... Trust me you do not want this in the game....

Why? Is getting matched with players that are similar to your own not preferable? Matching the 40% potato with a 60% Unicum isn’t fun, it’s just a waste of time.

• Cool 1