You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
weezal112

Why No Permanent Camo For Tier V Or Lower Ships?

48 comments in this topic

[ANIME]
Members
26 posts
9,458 battles

I was looking through my ships the other day and saw my Konig in port. I kept the Konig because I personally think she is a great BB. I know I can use temporary camo's and I have them for days, but I would like to buy a permanent camo for ships I keep that are lower tier. Is there any reason why WG decided not to allow this?

Edited by weezal112
  • Cool 2

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
8,309 posts
6,947 battles

Well... not every Tier V ship is lacking a perma camo. USS New York has one, and I believe it's about 1000 doubloons? I do have the ship with the perma camo, but it's just that I can't remember how many doubloons I paid for it, lol. :Smile_hiding:

But I see your point. It would be nice for lower tier ships to have them too. However, maybe WG has some kind of data (or something), which we don't know about (as always, lel), and perhaps it's saying that not many people keep Tier V ships? I donno, I'm just guessing... so please don't quote me on that, thank you. :Smile_hiding:

And I very much like Konig too. I kept mine as well... though she's been collecting dust for a while, lul. :Smile_hiding:

[WOLFA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,360 posts
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Because they can't charge much money for them.

some money is better than none eh?    they could even lock to first ship put on  :Smile_medal:

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
20,171 posts
13,061 battles
11 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Well... not every Tier V ship is lacking a perma camo. USS New York has one, and I believe it's about 1000 doubloons? I do have the ship with the perma camo, but it's just that I can't remember how many doubloons I paid for it, lol. :Smile_hiding:

But I see your point. It would be nice for lower tier ships to have them too. However, maybe WG has some kind of data (or something), which we don't know about (as always, lel), and perhaps it's saying that not many people keep Tier V ships? I donno, I'm just guessing... so please don't quote me on that, thank you. :Smile_hiding:

And I very much like Konig too. I kept mine as well... though she's been collecting dust for a while, lul. :Smile_hiding:

Emerald also has perma-camo. Nassau, Wakataka, and St Louis have perma-camo (Halloween) as well.

Edited by Kizarvexis
spelling

[USN]
Members
1,750 posts
22,014 battles
1 hour ago, weezal112 said:

I was looking through my ships the other day and saw my Konig in port. I kept the Konig because I personally think she is a great BB. I know I can use temporary camo's and I have them for days, but I would like to buy a permanent camo for ships I keep that are lower tier. Is there any reason why WG decided not to allow this?

There are some, New York has one, and believe it or not, Emerald. And this patch you can get a perma camo for Jaguar, the T5 Fr DD. As for why nothing else has one at these tiers, my guess could be that at T2-4, its basically impossible to not make a profit in those games and grinds are short, and I'm guessing one of the major reasons people would get a perma camo for a tech tree ship is to make more of a profit and speed up grinds, and with decent profit and short grinds at low tiers, not much sense having perma camos.

And from the business standpoint, if it takes the same amount of time and resources to make a perma camo for any ship regardless of tier, why spend all that time and effort on a T5 camo that costs maybe $2, or spend that same time and effort to create a T9 or 10 perma camo they can sell for close to $15-$20.

Edit: forgot the Haloween 2016 camos for St. Louis, Nassau, and Wakatake

Edited by tfcas119
added something

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,904 posts
4,896 battles

My Texas got this camo

2vtqrg7.jpg

Members
1,969 posts

+1 for more variety in game.

I'd have no problem paying $1.99 for a T3- T4 premium camo (if it costs $20, forget it) . I do play low tiers somewhat often. There are some excellent tech-tree ships in the low tiers. Why no premium camo's for these tiers, yet they're available at all high tiers?

[RAGE]
Members
2,018 posts
9,547 battles

It's not an insignificant amount of work for the graphics team, pulling them away from whatever they're working on to do something that won't generate much revenue. 

[RLGN]
Members
16,841 posts
29,512 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Because they can't charge much money for them.

Because WG seems to think every player is slavering and foaming at the bit to rush up the tech trees to Tier 10.

Why waste dev time for camos for ships that won’t be played for long?

’OH THE HUMANITY!!!’

WG couldn’t possibly do anything that might delay the precipitous climb of a player to Tier 10.

If players didn’t rush headlong to Tier 10, get frustrated, and spend money hoping to even things out; why; whatever would WG do?

• Cool 5

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,396 posts
26,838 battles
52 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

It's not an insignificant amount of work for the graphics team, pulling them away from whatever they're working on to do something that won't generate much revenue. 

Please, they could offer a generic camo that could be applied to any ship of any tier. Heck they could use the type 1 & 2 camos that most everyone sells. Adjust their benefits and make them permanent. Super easy and it would give alternative perm camos for every ship in the game since they are already modeled for every ship in the game.................................... 

• Cool 4

[WAIFU]
Members
1,247 posts
6,540 battles

I don't think it's so much related to money rather than being a design decision. WG has mentioned in the past that they do not want to give more reasons to veteran players to hang out in lower tiers where new players are. They have always been fairly protective of new players (low tier MM, the first OP Premiums pulled from sale were all low tier ones, can't do mission in low tier, etc). They've also been pushing players toward the higher tiers (mostly toward Tier 10 now), so Tier 5 is the lowest where you'll find some Perma-camo. Would love to have a Perma-camo for Kuma, but I long gave up on that...

So yeah, while it would be nice, I don't think WG wants you in tier 4 and lower and they will give you no reason to hang out in there.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
8,309 posts
6,947 battles
45 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Because WG seems to think every player is slavering and foaming at the bit to rush up the tech trees to Tier 10.

Why waste dev time for camos for ships that won’t be played for long?

’OH THE HUMANITY!!!’

WG couldn’t possibly do anything that might delay the precipitous climb of a player to Tier 10.

If players didn’t rush headlong to Tier 10, get frustrated, and spend money hoping to even things out; why; whatever would WG do?

And then WG wants the players do it all over again, through the NTC! LOL! :Smile_veryhappy::Smile_hiding:

As for the bolded part:

Spoiler

hue-manatee.gif.3bbea4e5c831485a9a24cbc130c898c9.gif

• Funny 4

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,396 posts
26,838 battles
29 minutes ago, garfield001 said:

I don't think it's so much related to money rather than being a design decision. WG has mentioned in the past that they do not want to give more reasons to veteran players to hang out in lower tiers where new players are. They have always been fairly protective of new players (low tier MM, the first OP Premiums pulled from sale were all low tier ones, can't do mission in low tier, etc). They've also been pushing players toward the higher tiers (mostly toward Tier 10 now), so Tier 5 is the lowest where you'll find some Perma-camo. Would love to have a Perma-camo for Kuma, but I long gave up on that...

So yeah, while it would be nice, I don't think WG wants you in tier 4 and lower and they will give you no reason to hang out in there.

I hear this quite often but think that limiting perm camo probably has zero effect on whether a veteran player will play low tiers. I literally have thousands of one use camos as a "vet" and there are plenty of ways to get those in the game for free. It really seems a no brainer to offer perm camo for all ships of all tiers to generate revenue for Wargaming and to allow players to personalize those lower tier ships they enjoy. I have that perm camo for my tier 3 St Louis (one of my favorite ships) and yet I rarely play it, not because lack of camo, but because I don't have the time to play for fun. Too busy grinding events/missions that require tier 5+ ships so it gets ignored.

Not selling perm camo for tier 5 ships is just silly. Since this is the lowest tier required for many events, I just use my premium ships and ignore my tech tree ships. Again it has little to do with the camo, just easier to assign a 19 point captain to a premium and play it. Not having to use a one use camo is just icing on the cake. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles
1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

It's fun because when this game was new, Tier X had no Perma-Camo.  It was much later and a lot of drama when Yamato was the first Tier X ship to get Perma-Camo access, and blew everyone's mind away when they saw the servicing cost reduction bonus attached to it.  And Tier X Perma-Camo is expensive.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BUOY]
Members
1,488 posts
17,520 battles

My theory for little to no T5 and lower TT permaflages is to discourage seal clubbing... because you just know some people would be playing the Clubson and Lolrion (seriously... played my first game in the thing since it got nerfed a few days ago... and after whiffing my first two salvos relearning the shell characteristics... 80k damage, 4 kills, confederate, high caliber, arsonist and would've gotten more if not for the game ending) even more than they are now.

Since T5 can see T7, there's an argument for giving permas to that entire tier, but T4 and below should have it's 'sealclubbers tax.'

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,396 posts
26,838 battles
52 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

My theory for little to no T5 and lower TT permaflages is to discourage seal clubbing... because you just know some people would be playing the Clubson and Lolrion (seriously... played my first game in the thing since it got nerfed a few days ago... and after whiffing my first two salvos relearning the shell characteristics... 80k damage, 4 kills, confederate, high caliber, arsonist and would've gotten more if not for the game ending) even more than they are now.

Since T5 can see T7, there's an argument for giving permas to that entire tier, but T4 and below should have it's 'sealclubbers tax.'

I just can not imagine that someone who is wanting to seal club is thinking to themselves "I really want to boost my stats and club baby seals. Oh wait, no perm camo for my Clemson so I guess I won't be a prick today.".................

[A-I-M]
Members
4,103 posts
15,365 battles

One problem with the suggesting of cheap permacamos for low-tier ships us that even though they are cheap, the low-tier grinds are short, and the permacamos would therefore have little value, and may be a hard sell despite being inexpensive.

In light of this, I have suggested in the past, a blanket permacamo you buy ONCE for ALL your T5 and lower ships. A few thousand doubloons, paid once only, covers every T5 you had, have, or will have.

It then has a high enough cost to be worthwhile for WG to sell, and will have enough long-term utility to be worthwhile for players to buy.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,396 posts
26,838 battles
10 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

In light of this, I have suggested in the past, a blanket permacamo you buy ONCE for ALL your T5 and lower ships. A few thousand doubloons, paid once only, covers every T5 you had, have, or will have.

It then has a high enough cost to be worthwhile for WG to sell, and will have enough long-term utility to be worthwhile for players to buy.

This is actually a really good idea. Maybe a camo purchased for a tier of ships, that way Wargaming could make a bit of money. I honestly think tier 5 ships should have their own camo styles like any higher tier ship. Making a tier 2, tier 3, and tier 4 camo would be an elegant solution. That way you could keep your favorite ships and still have camouflage for the boat when you wanted to play it. Heck make nation specific camos much like World of Tanks has using the same tier principle and that way you could get some historical camos in the game for the low tier boats.... Really good idea Manny, I hope a WeeGee is paying attention. 

[PHD]
Members
2,004 posts
7,777 battles

The permanent camos may have come later in the game. The temp camos are a way to monetize the game, add "gifts" and to make interesting content. I  think they didn't plan or want people to hang out at lower tiers for permanent camos to be a thing. Also the temp camos like the signals and flags are a way to train the players to add features to their ships plus give players something to buy and create complexity. 

[HRVAT]
[HRVAT]
Members
1,674 posts
14,654 battles

St. Louis have permanent camo from Halloween event

Wakatake also. 

every premium ship come with no matter which tier.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,396 posts
26,838 battles
32 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:

Wakatake also. 

And Nassau. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts
4 hours ago, garfield001 said:

Derzki is my most favourite ship in the game and I won't ditch it for some high tier ship. I only play it in co-op though just to avoid seal clubbing. If WG is going to continue to neglect low tier content, fine with me. My doubloons will simply remain unspent and I'm better off spending my money on Cyberpunk 2077 instead.

51 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:

Wakatake also. 

Halloween camo that can be filtered out, unlike historical camos.

[-BMV-]
Members
579 posts
21,615 battles

Im all for new cammos. Hell i want the cammo of either Royal Sovereign or Ramillies for my Iron Duke.

Royal Sovereign

Spoiler

The_Royal_Navy_during_the_Second_World_War_A11795.thumb.jpg.55027b4eb92df85db7e5020838fe44d9.jpg

Ramillies

Spoiler

HMS_Ramillies_WWI_IWM_SP_1718.jpg.d6489200f2eb2cfb1d7776bf3b1c9e30.jpg

We can get Nebraska's cammo for Wyoming

Spoiler

j2aL2GL.jpg.52c409c94dda314dc683bcdf2cca152f.jpg

or Manley's cammo for Clemson

Spoiler

1507040620397.thumb.jpg.26d0d5922cbd297741def7c223fef8fe.jpg

Now i know Iron Duke is no Revenge class nor Wyoming or Clemson are Virginia and Caldwell classes but hell, i like the cammos. Can we get them WG?. Please?

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,640 posts
19,737 battles
8 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Emerald also has perma-camo. Nassau, Wakakaka, and St Louis have perma-camo (Halloween) as well.

Except Emerald's was only limited, and the others depend on the will of RNGesus once a year.

And I think you mean Wakatake. :Smile_teethhappy: