You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kami

Kami's Target Prioritization Tips!

16 comments in this topic

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,443 battles

Who do I Shoot and When do I Shoot em?

06 SSE France.psd.png

Goal:

Today we are going to discuss target prioritization and how to apply this learned skill to the game. Learning what targets are the most important to shoot and when is something that can help you win a lot more games. This can also lead you to feel like the damage you did is a lot more effective. The whole goal of the match is to win, correct? So without further ado, let us jump in and talk about the basics.

General Rules of Target Prioritization: Early Game.

• First Target: Shoot the spotted DD. This should go without saying but I see this all the time!
    • This has a few positive effects on the game so let us go over them real quick:
      • Getting rid of the enemy DD makes it easier on your whole team.
      • Depending on what ship you are in, that DD could come back later and be quite the menace to you!
      • Any help you can give your friendly DD is good. 
  • Second Target: Radar Cruisers if they are in the game.
    • This will help out your DDs if you can start getting rid of the enemy radar ships.
  • Third Target: Typically anything broadside. This can apply to almost any ship. 

General Rules of Target Prioritization: Mid Game.

• First Target(s): DDs still remain the focus at this time but you can also look for low health targets that you can help get off the water.
  • Second Target: Radar cruisers are still quite the priority and remain so in the middle of the match.
    • You get rid of the radar, it will make capping or even re-capping easier as the game goes by.
    • This also helps with getting rid of a "sphere of influence" on the map. With the radar ship there, DDs are less inclined to move in that area.
  • Third Target: Again, anything broadside or any target you can do some damage to.

General Rules of Target Prioritization: Late Game.

• First Target: Low health ships and this should ramp us as a priority as the match goes along. Yes, this might not get you the big numbers in damage but it will definitely help you win the game =).
  • Second Target: DDs, the reason I put DDs as second is depending on the ship you are playing there might not an easy way to spot/locate the DD. As the game goes a long your DDs may get destroyed, radar ships may get destroyed, so this will make it tougher late game to do this.
  • Third Target: Really anything that you can hit at the time. With the clock winding down this is not the time to be overly picky. This doesn't mean to throw out everything you have been doing all game but it is time to maybe make a risky play to get a target destroyed.

Note: The targets listed above are what I prioritize and when, these are not set in stone of course and every match is different. These are just the targets that I try to focus on every battle as it develops. Everyone of course might have different goals in a match or different targets to prioritize due to a mission. 

I am not going to go over ships individually but I will group them into overall categories and try to explain my thinking with each.

BBs:

• Following along the same lines as general tips you want to try and help hit DDs first. Depending on the tier and what ship you are playing this can be more difficult. At 20km the shot might not be worth taking, but at 12km the shot is definitely worth taking. Any help you can give to your teams DDs is a plus!
  • Radar ships and cruisers in general. You want to lower the enemy teams DPM and also their ability to control parts of the map with radar. Particularly look for cruisers that are sailing along broadside and might not be paying attention. If you are a good shot at range, take those shots. The worst thing you can do is not take a shot because you don't have the confidence to shoot!
  • Low health targets would be my next target. Anything that is low health, one thing you have as a BB is great range, use it and knock out that cruiser that is trying to escape and hide. You would be surprised how many kills you will get on ships that think they are safe because they are in the back. 
  • Broadside anything, take these shots. This is where you get to see the big, splashy numbers if RNG is on your side =).
  • Look for the cheeky shots over islands towards unsuspecting enemy ships. This is where you can really show that you have a grasp over the spotter plane!

Cruisers with Radar:

• DDs with a caveat. Do not put yourself in a bad position just to help your teams DDs with the enemy teams DDs. Continue to play how you would play but keep an eye towards getting yourself into a position to help. 
  • Let the enemy DD commit to the cap before you use the radar, this can be even more effective if you can communicate with a teammate to smoke you or you can get there undetected. If you can catch the enemy DD on the cap you and your teams DD can do good damage and maybe even kill their DD. Remember don't just charge the cap because you have radar, the enemy teams BBs will look to shoot you!
  • After the initial DD wave, start focusing on BBs or other ships of opportunity. This is pretty straight forward and easy cruiser tactics. Make sure you are dodging, not sitting completely still and not always in binocular view!

Cruisers without Radar:

• Initially you will probably be playing farther in the back (Henri and Hinde at tier X come to mind), take shots at the DDs if you can. 
  • This is where you really shine, start focusing down cruisers and enemy BBs so your team can start getting the HP advantage. One of the most difficult thing to deal with is a dodging cruiser at mid to long range that is paying attention!
  • Once the game start progressing, see where you can get to help your team. If you are a long range cruiser, start taking care of those low health targets and targets that have used DCP.
  • If the game starts going sideways, look for ways to try and turn it around. Snipe that low health cruiser in the back, help your DD secure a cap and the other plethora of things you can do!

DDs: I need your help here community!

• Other DDs! i don't think much else needs to be said here =).
  • Spotting radar ships so you can get your team to shoot at them. This can be a dangerous game but if you are good at baiting the radar you can make this work.
  • Straight lining BBs!
  • Use your guns to finish off low health targets, use smoke if you need (have). This goes for you IJN DD drivers! use your guns =).

I know I missed DD stuff so please help point other targets out!

Please feel free to discuss this target and what you target as priorities! I am looking forward to reading what you prioritize and why.

Thanks for reading!

• Cool 3

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles
On 7/26/2019 at 4:45 PM, Kami said:

This goes for you IJN DD drivers! use your guns =).

I do. I do. Though I'd much prefer a Kiev to an Akatsuki.

[HEYPA]
Members
50 posts
10,865 battles

For DD, be more aware of when and how to use their smoke.  It can help or hinder teammates, as well as be wasted if within opponent's radar range.

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,443 battles
On 7/31/2019 at 9:45 PM, Wepps said:

I do. I do. Though I'd much prefer a Kiev to an Akatsuki.

Gooooood, gooood! Glad to hear that you shoot your guns in your DD. 

14 hours ago, Disciplyne said:

For DD, be more aware of when and how to use their smoke.  It can help or hinder teammates, as well as be wasted if within opponent's radar range.

This is also a great tip! Vision works both ways and learning how to deploy your smoke correctly can mean the difference in spotting and the enemy team "disappearing". 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,864 posts
29,558 battles

@Kami

Like you said; kill the destroyers. I’ve felt that to be correct for the longest time, for the reasons you cite; which is why it drives me crazy to watch a low health destroyer get ignored, and get away.

Even worse is watching a low health destroyer charge something that should easily be able to kill it, and win.

The only conclusion I can reach, is that people are too busy farming the big damage to bother learning something so mundane and pedestrian as how to shoot at and hit destroyers.

I learned how fast, when I got tired of getting sunk in South Carolina.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,208 posts
20,531 battles

DD's often determine a match. When one side loses it's DD's first they are at a distinct disadvantage. Often is the case, the first to lose their DD's will lose the match.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,942 posts
40,182 battles

Kill the radar cruiser parked where it controls a cap. 

EVERYONE needs to shoot DDs, especially when a CV spots them briefly. 

And finish off low HP targets. A Fletcher with 300 HP can still sink your BB with torps. Even more important are ships with heals. Nothing is more frustrating than getting a BB below 10k HP only to watch it sail away and reappear 2 heals later with 25k HP. 

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,443 battles
On 8/2/2019 at 4:49 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

@Kami

Like you said; kill the destroyers. I’ve felt that to be correct for the longest time, for the reasons you cite; which is why it drives me crazy to watch a low health destroyer get ignored, and get away.

Even worse is watching a low health destroyer charge something that should easily be able to kill it, and win.

The only conclusion I can reach, is that people are too busy farming the big damage to bother learning something so mundane and pedestrian as how to shoot at and hit destroyers.

I learned how fast, when I got tired of getting sunk in South Carolina.

Hey Estimated_Prophet,

Low health DDs are still some of the biggest threats in the game. Countless times I have seen a DD escape on low health and come back to torpedo a BB to death or take a cap that the team thought was all but secured. When a DD is spotted and you have a reasonable shot, take it. The enemy ships that you are "farming" damage from will be there for your next reload unless they go boom of course. 

On 8/3/2019 at 10:28 AM, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

DD's often determine a match. When one side loses it's DD's first they are at a distinct disadvantage. Often is the case, the first to lose their DD's will lose the match.

This is a good point, this doesn't always happen but it can lead to one team being at a distinct disadvantage. Like I said, I am not a DD expert but I know where radar cruisers go, their radar range and the general points that enemy DDs come from. Taking this information, you can better determine your movements at the beginning of a match. This will help you survive longer and have more impact over the course of the match. This comes down to taking the time to learn from your mistakes and do better the next time in that situation.

On 8/4/2019 at 9:40 PM, Landing_Skipper said:

Kill the radar cruiser parked where it controls a cap. 

EVERYONE needs to shoot DDs, especially when a CV spots them briefly. 

And finish off low HP targets. A Fletcher with 300 HP can still sink your BB with torps. Even more important are ships with heals. Nothing is more frustrating than getting a BB below 10k HP only to watch it sail away and reappear 2 heals later with 25k HP. 

All good points! These are things that need to be learned and prioritized =).

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,377 posts
14,222 battles
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, Kami said:

DDs: I need your help here community!

in late game - in the order of priority

1)  cap - never ignore an opportunity to cap. 

2) spot - this means understanding the detection of the red ships, reading the minimap and evaluating where you can light up the reds safely. 

3) smoke - up your remaining injured ships so their guns can safely re-enter the battle

4) eliminate any stragglers with torps and guns. identify where guns are pointed and use you best judgement when to gun. sometimes you want to fire/sometimes its best not to fire. Always torp.  

Members
33 posts
7,016 battles

Anytime I’m in my BB and a DD gets spotted I take a shot even if only 1 shell lands ( give or take 1500 damage) you get to do 10% of his health in damage. 1500 damage to a BB is nothing but to a DD with 15000 Hp to 18000 Hp  it’s a good smack. 

Now if you luck out and get 2 plus shells to land .... you’ve changed that player’s gameplay for the rest of the match. 

Edited by sheppard12

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,443 battles
16 hours ago, sheppard12 said:

Anytime I’m in my BB and a DD gets spotted I take a shot even if only 1 shell lands ( give or take 1500 damage) you get to do 10% of his health in damage. 1500 damage to a BB is nothing but to a DD with 15000 Hp to 18000 Hp  it’s a good smack. 

Now if you luck out and get 2 plus shells to land .... you’ve changed that player’s gameplay for the rest of the match. 

Hey sheppard12,

Good on ya! That is what I like to see, knowing the correct targets to prioritize. There are only a few DDs that have a heal so typically the damage you do stays. 

Do you have a specific range you shoot/don't shoot at DDs or do you shoot at them whenever they are lit? 

Members
33 posts
7,016 battles

Unless I truly don’t want them to know where I’m going at the beginning of the match and give away my path of entry into the fight since some BB’s have great concealment  ( flanking or getting into a nice crossfire position)   I may hold off firing at near max range since the pay off may not be worth it. But if I’m not worried about my positioning being given away, I will take a shot  at max range. 

You miss 100% the shots you don’t take 😂

[-GPS-]
Members
2,942 posts
40,182 battles
11 minutes ago, Kami said:

Hey sheppard12,

Good on ya! That is what I like to see, knowing the correct targets to prioritize. There are only a few DDs that have a heal so typically the damage you do stays. 

Do you have a specific range you shoot/don't shoot at DDs or do you shoot at them whenever they are lit? 

I’ll step in and say 12km and under ALL BBs need to shoot DDs.

Yamato or NC?  How good is your aim? Is there a super juicy broadside you could hammer instead? Am I detected already?

Tirpitz at 15 km? Probably not unless there’s nothing bigger to hit or a hit would reset a cap. (Resetting caps seems to be unknown to a significant portion of the player base.)

[BOMBS]
Members
136 posts
11,816 battles

7,000 matches. I was pretty bad at WoWs until I started really paying attention to these kinds of tips. I'm 54% over my last 1,500 battles (spreadsheets, people.)

My target priority list:

1. DDs under 12k
  2. *Any* BB w. low hit points - if you let them escape, they heal and your teams' damage is undone
  3. A carrier
  4. A broadside target
  5. A radar cruiser/DD
  6. Any other ship w. low hit points
  7. Any other ship <-- I can't emphasize this enough - pull the trigger often

My tips by ship class:

• As a DD, don't push a cap early, and assume that *everyone* has radar and you *will* get spotted by planes. Play as if you were and you'll survive a lot longer. DDs get stronger the longer the match runs, especially British DDs. Also, and I think is generally way overlooked. A firing DD at range makes a good "rabbit". Because of these target prioritization beliefs in this thread, just about everyone will shoot at you. Use this to your teams advantage to draw fire, wasting enemy salvos. A Tashkent in the right hands is a powerful chess piece.
  • As a CA (cruiser), my mantra is "first cruiser spotted is first ship sunk". Play cautious. Styles for CA differ based on class/modules, but the short of it is (a) either use islands to shoot over w. low-velocity rounds, or (b) keep shaking that stern. Either way, Keep. Firing. Constantly. As someone else posted earlier, look for opportunities to use torpedoes and radar, but don't risk your ship to do it.
  • As a BB, GET IN THERE. Your primary job is to take damage. BBs that sit back while the rest of their team gets soaked usually result in a loss for the team. Find large islands early in the match and use then to shield your broadsides while in combat. On that note, your rear guns are a secondary consideration - any damage bonus they might add is more than offset if you aren't properly angled and get 2 cits. Also, know when to REVERSE (*not* turn around and expose your side), then withdraw and repair. The goal should be to consume all your Repair Party consumables. AA. Lots of AA. Always. And learn to manage your AA reinforcement. And - often overlooked - try not to have to rotate your slow turrets from one side to another unless you have no good target - it takes too long (also, don't bother changing ammo type. AP for most non-UK BBs all the time.)
  • As a CV, it should go without saying to stay hidden. That said, don't go to the edge of the map either. Stay at your spawn point and run circles or head for a good island to sit behind that's *closer* than not. This greatly effects your squadron turn around time and makes all the difference in your damage output over time. Each time a squadron returns, take a few moments to re-assess your field position and make appropriate adjustments (looking for ANY possibility of a DD sneaking up on you.) A favorite spot of mine is the opening to the "slot" on Two Brothers - I'm close, I'm shielded by islands, if something heads for the slot I can see it and back out, and if I get flanked, I can move into the slot to escape.

In general:

• Fire your guns as often as possible. If you don't, those seconds where you don't is effectively the same thing as not playing the match.
  • Always have an out.
  • Manage your damage, whenever possible.
  • Stay away from the edge of the map - its the weakest position (just like chess). You can shoot the fewest targets and can't support a lot of your team mates.
  • Communicate with your team.
  • And don't ram unless your team is winning - your guns are better long term bets than losing your ship just to get a kill.

Good hunting!

Edited by LaurenBacall
  • Cool 1

Members
222 posts
32,144 battles

I find a lot of DD players just try and break even on the credit side of the game. Since you can keep every enemy spotted the whole game destroy them without a loss and still give away 135,000 credits with a win(damage and or caps are required).  I know I can play a game and never fire the guns but that requires a team behind for support and they can be rare. 

PS: player that sail straight eat lots of torps and you know if your first torp hits it is going to be a bad round for someone.

Edited by xLeadSledx