You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Competitive DD Lessons When and How to Kite the Enemy

9 comments in this topic

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
3,499 posts
14,015 battles

Anything you guys would like to add to the discussion would be helpful.  Lots of players in general struggle with this and die having picked a bad fight.  What things do you look for that tell you to run away to fight?

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,901 battles
31 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Anything you guys would like to add to the discussion would be helpful.  Lots of players in general struggle with this and die having picked a bad fight.  What things do you look for that tell you to run away to fight?

First and foremost, knowing the enemy and whether I can take him in a fair fight.  If he has numbers to back him up, especially with hydro or radar, it's time to fall back and re-consider the approach.  As you have stated before @Destroyer_KuroshioKai, checking the enemy team lineup for your DD opposition at the start of the match is crucial, so you know who you can and cannot challenge successfully.

Kiting is also something that needs to be considered against things like a DDs gun layout (IJN destroyers with multiple guns in the rear are excellent for kiting away), whereas most German DDs struggle in a pursuit due lacking forward firepower.

• Cool 1

Members
1,578 posts
22,950 battles

You more or less hit the nail on the head with your video. I think a lot of people make their mistakes in any ship by not paying attention to the mini map and keeping track of what the biggest threats to their ships are at any given time. Knowledge gap is a real thing. Players who at least have a rough memory of what ships can out spot you, out run you or to a lesser degree now what radar and hydro ranges are have the possibility to have more options or make better decisions in games.

Know what's in your tool bag and when its not enough to cover the situation at hand it is for sure time to get out. I also have to remind myself of what is not spotted yet … those radar cruisers or stealthy DDs that were never spotted and somehow come out of nowhere 7 minutes into the match can really throw me for a loop at times.

Great stuff as always!

Edited by Alabamastan
  • Cool 1

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,443 battles
2 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Hey Destroyer_KuroshioKai,

Great video with explanation! I am not much of a DD player myself, I tend to do all kinds of boneheaded things so this is a good video to see! 

Keep it up and keep helping other players get better! 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,970 posts
23,372 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

First and foremost, knowing the enemy and whether I can take him in a fair fight.

To build on this: I find having a mod that keeps track of enemy health bars very useful. Whether you can take another ship in a fight has a lot to do with how much HP you have left in the bank.

Of course, you should only take a fair fight if you can't get a better offer. :Smile_playing:

• Cool 3

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,901 battles
20 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

To build on this: I find having a mod that keeps track of enemy health bars very useful. Whether you can take another ship in a fight has a lot to do with how much HP you have left in the bank.

Very good call.  I also use the health bar mod in the Mod Station for this same purpose.

I half health Gearing can easily be gunned down by a full health Shimakaze if the Gearing doesn't know any better in advance of the fight.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

First and foremost, knowing the enemy and whether I can take him in a fair fight. 

One caveat to this is "What shape are you going to be in after you take him in a fair fight?" 

Pyrrhic "victories" can gimp you for the rest of the game and my not be worth it to just remove your counterpart.

• Cool 1

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
622 posts
9,866 battles

A great video I'll be sharing with my clan, thanks!

One thing I would add is don't fire torps at a ship you are chasing. Didn't have that scenario play out in this video, but I see it in game all too often. Obviously, if the you've chased the target to a corner it's a different story. I was surprised to see this a lot in Ranked games. DD fires torps at a target he can't hit then a cruiser pops up and our DD has nothing but his little pew-pew and dies. Tragic.

Maybe you did allude to it with your comments on patience. Sometimes you just need to spot and not worry about damage. Just remain prepared and ready to strike as you light up the enemy for allied fire.

That reminds me; sometimes in the late-game it is advantageous to fire torps hoping to turn a BB broadside to your allies. I found this to be most helpful in training up the IJN branch, but can be done well with most destroyers in the game. This carries over to the CV as well and is quite a bit easier from the air. All you do is drop torps at an angle that offers the target a possible dodge but that dodge path will require them to give broadside to your allies. I usually get at least 1 torp hit before the team has made the target Cit his pants.

JFSOC.davo916.gif

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,901 battles
15 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

One caveat to this is "What shape are you going to be in after you take him in a fair fight?" 

Pyrrhic "victories" can gimp you for the rest of the game and my not be worth it to just remove your counterpart.

Indeed.  That example may be only feasible in a one DD per team match, with no CV.