You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HorrorRoach

They ruined the ocean :-(

16 comments in this topic

[BS]
Members
2,001 posts
11,717 battles

I noticed they added a blurring function to the ocean as a whole to get rid of the ugly lines you see on the ocean running off into the distance, the problem is the ocean looks blurry up close now too....

What they should do is add an intensity gradient to that function where the blur strength tapers off the closer the ocean is to your ship. I wonder if it varies with resolution, people running 4k might see less of the blur. Do the dev's run the game at super high res? Could be why they didn't realize it happening.

BTW, it happens with all AA and FXAA off. I wonder if this is something that can be turned off in the config file? Kami, can you ask someone?

@Kami

EJ

Edited by HorrorRoach
  • Cool 2

[P2W]
Members
426 posts
13,990 battles

Can we get a picture of this ruined ocean? I played a little last night and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but I'm not running in super-high resolution mode.

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,472 posts

Yes I noticed it as well, it's blurry. I think it's more of a frame buffer maybe . That's the first thing I noticed when I logged in yesterday.

The effect may be a settings issue. Since WG may have added something in settings it may need to be tweaked a bit . If not it just looks weird.

[BS]
Members
2,001 posts
11,717 battles

Removing those lines off in the distance is going to make long range targetting of ships a little harder too, you were able to gauge speed somewhat by the ships relative motion to the lines.

Community Department
3,359 posts
1,300 battles
45 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

I noticed they added a blurring function to the ocean as a whole to get rid of the ugly lines you see on the ocean running off into the distance, the problem is the ocean looks blurry up close now too....

What they should do is add an intensity gradient to that function where the blur strength tapers off the closer the ocean is to your ship. I wonder if it varies with resolution, people running 4k might see less of the blur. Do the dev's run the game at super high res? Could be why they didn't realize it happening.

BTW, it happens with all AA and FXAA off. I wonder if this is something that can be turned off in the config file? Kami, can you ask someone?

@Kami

EJ

We've seen some similar reports.
Does it look similar to this one?

If yes, then could you please create WGCheck and send it to me via PM with some screenshots if you have. If you don't that's no problem. 
We'll transfer all the info to the developers for further investigation. 

[BS]
Members
2,001 posts
11,717 battles

mmm, i did notice the glare, but i think that's just the new lighting model. the glare didn't bother me that much.

[BS]
Members
2,001 posts
11,717 battles

i'll run that when i get home. i don't run any mods that alter the graphics. my gut feeling is the blurry ocean is the result of the shader effect they put over the ocean as a whole to hide the aliasing of the ocean way off in the distance.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,985 posts
7 minutes ago, turbo07 said:

We've seen some similar reports.
Does it look similar to this one?

If yes, then could you please create WGCheck and send it to me via PM with some screenshots if you have. If you don't that's no problem. 
We'll transfer all the info to the developers for further investigation. 

i just noticed big drop of FPS, from 50 to 15, can we have an option to turn whatever that you added off? thanks

• Cool 1

Community Department
3,359 posts
1,300 battles
6 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

i just noticed big drop of FPS, from 50 to 15, can we have an option to turn whatever that you added off? thanks

This wasn't planned anyway, sorry if we are the reason. Without investigation I can't recommend anything. 
How did you try to fix it? Any point may help from this list:

• delete old modifications if you have any
  • "check and repair" client via WGC >> Game Settings 
  • delete your preferences.xml file in the game folder and set everything manually again with the next game launch 
  • choose another graphic settings and check the result

If nothing helps, please create WGCheck and send it to our Support in the ticket with some descriptions. And then please send me the number of the ticket. I'll send it directly to the dev.team to check if the reason was in the update.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,985 posts
7 minutes ago, turbo07 said:

This wasn't planned anyway, sorry if we are the reason. Without investigation I can't recommend anything. 
How did you try to fix it? Any point may help from this list:

• delete old modifications if you have any
  • "check and repair" client via WGC >> Game Settings 
  • delete your preferences.xml file in the game folder and set everything manually again with the next game launch 
  • choose another graphic settings and check the result

If nothing helps, please create WGCheck and send it to our Support in the ticket with some descriptions. And then please send me the number of the ticket. I'll send it directly to the dev.team to check if the reason was in the update.

i just played 2 games and done with it, thinking there are bugs you are going to fix after couple of days

all mods are off as you know they won't even load with new version

haven't done anything else

it has to be with the whatever you did to the view, the most drop is when i was in telescope view aim at the horizon to see shell trajectory, the FPS dropped so much it stuttered

Edited by Happy668
  • Cool 1

[BS]
Members
2,001 posts
11,717 battles

The explanation of what they did is in the PTS notes. i'm at work right now so I can't find it, it talks about how they added something to make the ocean look better in the distance.

• Cool 1

Community Department
3,359 posts
1,300 battles
1 minute ago, Happy668 said:

i just played 2 games and done with it, thinking there are bugs you are going to fix after couple of days

all mods are off as you know they won't even load with new version

haven't done anything else

Old mods may influence if they were not uninstalled correctly. So it depends. 
We still collect info about this "effect". And we'll appreciate your report as well. 

[WOLF1]
Members
2,985 posts
4 minutes ago, turbo07 said:

Old mods may influence if they were not uninstalled correctly. So it depends. 
We still collect info about this "effect". And we'll appreciate your report as well. 

the mods folder is coded with version number, so any new version of the game, the mods won't even be found, or loaded, so you can be rest assured it's not the mods or conflicts or anything like that

added above so you can see: "it has to be with the whatever you did to the view, the most drop is when i was in telescope view aim at the horizon to see shell trajectory, the FPS dropped so much it stuttered"

Edited by Happy668
  • Cool 1

Community Department
3,359 posts
1,300 battles
18 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

The explanation of what they did is in the PTS notes. i'm at work right now so I can't find it, it talks about how they added something to make the ocean look better in the distance.

We have many configs to test our update but not all. And we are investigating all the reports carefully to find the reason currently. 
At the moment there is info about some old uninstalled mods may influence in this way. But we need additional info, it would be great to receive some more reports to the Support with WGCheck and your feedback attached. 

[BS]
Members
2,001 posts
11,717 battles
18 hours ago, turbo07 said:

We have many configs to test our update but not all. And we are investigating all the reports carefully to find the reason currently. 
At the moment there is info about some old uninstalled mods may influence in this way. But we need additional info, it would be great to receive some more reports to the Support with WGCheck and your feedback attached. 

don't confuse what I'm talking about with the glare and the FPS stuttering, although they may be related to the blur they added to the ocean... The glare and FPS drops are probably just side effects of the burring algorithm they added to the ocean. Slower computers are going to have rendering issues because it probably uses up VRAM and GPU calculations. The glare is probably more noticeable because the ocean ripples are blended away, that combined with the lighting model change, causing a more uniform ocean surface under the sun?

[BS]
Members
2,001 posts
11,717 battles

I ran that tool, didn't find anything except my mods... Here's a screen shot, can't you guys tell the ocean looks a lot blurrier and "flatter"? The new lighting model seems to have reduced the contrast of the water, making it look less 3D

image.thumb.png.5683025d6d950261f4dd2df772aa3f66.png