Sign in to follow this  
Eisennagel

Did Disney copy Kimba The White Lion?

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
11,339 posts

One of the greatest cases of getting away with rip off in the industry, its common knowledge to all those who know the history of anime and one that is a bitter pill to swallow.

With all the bucks Disney is getting off from the Lion King, it hasn't paid a single cent nor gave credits to Kimba's creator, Osamu Tezuka.   Today the Internet and the anime fandom is once again, raising this issue.  

Originally as Jungle Emperor Leo in Japan, first broadcast in 1965 --- yes decades before The Lion King --- the show was translated and licensed to Western audiences as Kimba The White Lion where it is better known for the rest of the world.  Osamu Tezuka himself is an anime legend --- no the anime god --- for being one of the founding pillars of the genre, his most famous work being Astro Boy.   Osamu Tezuka is also known for works like Black Jack, Princess Knight where he invented the first reverse trap in anime, and Dororo, where a modernized version is currently streaming in Amazon Prime.  But besides Astro Boy, Jungle Emperor Leo aka Kimba The White Lion is his most well known work.  Tezuka had died before the Lion King started production, and death is one reason why no one was around to pursue a claim.  

Its more than just the concept of the story, but the very structure of the narrative, scenes, and supporting characters that were just taken.  Watching this video --- probably the best one I have seen that made this case --- left my jaw being mopped up from the floor.

Edited by Eisennagel

[WHARF]
Members
510 posts
19,983 battles
2 minutes ago, Eisennagel said:

One of the greatest cases of getting away with rip off in the industry, its common knowledge to all those who know the history of anime and one that is a bitter pill to swallow.

With all the bucks Disney is getting off from the Lion King, it hasn't paid a single cent nor gave credits to Kimba's creator, Osamu Tezuka.   Today the Internet and the anime fandom is once again, raising this issue.  

Originally as Jungle Emperor Leo in Japan, first broadcast in 1965 --- yes decades before The Lion King --- the show was translated and licensed to Western audiences as Kimba The White Lion where it is better known for the rest of the world.  Osamu Tezuka himself is an anime legend --- no the anime god --- for being one of the founding pillars of the genre, his most famous work being Astro Boy.   Osamu Tezuka is also known for works like Black Jack, Princess Knight where he invented the first reverse trap in anime, and Dororo, where a modernized version is currently streaming in Amazon Prime.  But besides Astro Boy, Jungle Emperor Leo aka Kimba The White Lion is his most well known work.  Tezuka had died before the Lion King started production, and death is one reason why no one was around to pursue a claim.  

Its more than just the concept of the story, but the very structure of the narrative, scenes, and supporting characters that were just taken.  Watching this video --- probably the best one I have seen that made this case --- left my jaw being mopped up from the floor.

Who cares....and why....

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
11,339 posts

Of course it matters when Disney needs to be called out as the mega corporate parasite that it is.

More scene by scene comparisons.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,330 posts
8,165 battles

No surprise at Disney's ruthless ripoff. Dating myself here but as a kid we all watched Kimba Eighth Man Astro Boy in black and white good stuff still is!

Members
2,873 posts
94 battles

This isn't really surprising, considering that back then Americans viewed Japanese animation as a cheap source of entertainment. They did Mackere (do google it for more info) plenty of anime back then, with the worst example being Ghibli's Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, which led to the studio policy of not allowing anyone to add or subtract whatever is in the movie.

[SPTR]
Members
27,721 posts
18,465 battles

Im just gunna say they both made their movies from the same source material not copying each other, take what I said with a grain of salt as its just my opinion, even through the scenes and storyline is downstrait eerily accurate.

[LOIN]
Supertester
857 posts

I think Lion King is older, nvm it's not. Did some research. I can see why people think it's a rip-off or a copy. But did some research there is alot of clear differences between Kimba and Lion King. I would say, Disney was inspired by it, but didn't necessarily copy it.

Edited by Starfleet1701
  • Cool 1

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

Disney's legacy has been ripping off stories and putting their spin on it. Save Atlantus which was a raw deal I hear and the company  fighting with Tarzan rights.

Edited by Yoshiblue

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,864 posts
18,343 battles

Yes, Yes they did.

The only reason Disney didn't get sued to the moon and back, was because the studio that owned Kimba the white lion was very small and didn't have the amount of lawyers or money that Disney had.:fish_book:

Having said that. both are still considered classics and brought many new ideas to the table for animation. some of which are still being used today.:fish_aqua:

Sign in to follow this