Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SaltyMoonshine

What oon earth happened to the Iowa?

12 comments in this topic

Members
48 posts
4,728 battles

My first 10 games with the Iowa were fantastic. 80% win rate, 95k average damage and 2-3 kills a match. 

Then I left her alone for a week or so to focus on other ships. 

I came back to her and now I STRUGGLE to do 40k damage a game, and I haven't sunk an enemy ship for 3 games straight. I went from a "unicum rated" player in this ship to a complete dud. 

I'm playing the same as before - what the hell happened? Is there some patch notes or something?

I'm just completely baffled and at an utter loss of doing below average 8 matches in a row after doing so well (and in the NC). 

THis might seem like a "wth?" type of post, but I'm seriously puzzled and utterly lost for words at how bad things have been the past eight games or so in what I initially considered my up-and-coming gem ship, I have no explanation for it. For reference, I just had one game where I finished a humiliating LAST on a loss (32k damage, of course).

Any insight or just....anything at all, whether others have gone through this, is appreciated. 

Edited by SaltyMoonshine
  • Boring 1

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,904 posts
4,896 battles

Look like you're having a bad case of derp moments

• Boring 1

Members
759 posts
2 hours ago, SaltyMoonshine said:

My first 10 games with the Iowa were fantastic. 80% win rate, 95k average damage and 2-3 kills a match. 

I came back to her and now I STRUGGLE to do 40k damage a game, and I haven't sunk an enemy ship for 3 games straight. I went from a "unicum rated" player in this ship to a complete dud. 

I'm playing the same as before - what the hell happened? Is there some patch notes or something?

I'm just completely baffled and at an utter loss of doing below average 8 matches in a row after doing so well (and in the NC). 

THis might seem like a "wth?" type of post, but I'm seriously puzzled and utterly lost for words at how bad things have been the past eight games or so in what I initially considered my up-and-coming gem ship, I have no explanation for it. For reference, I just had one game where I finished a humiliating LAST on a loss (32k damage, of course).

Any insight or just....anything at all, whether others have gone through this, is appreciated. 

Confirmation bias.  Just because you win 8 out of 10 hands in Blackjack doesn't mean you have skills or that you are guaranteed to maintain that win/loss ratio.  Even the very best players cannot maintain an 80% average winrate.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,206 posts
20,495 battles

The Iowa in game is a fast BB like her real life contemporary. It can be a two edged sword. It can get you out of trouble quick, and if not careful it can get you into trouble quick. One sacrifice of being given the gift of speed is thinner side armor. Careful showing her broadside as with any ship. However at T9 where you commonly face T10 ships. Guard your broadsides and don't steam full speed at the enemy. These may or may not be part of your issues.  She is a very capable ship.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[GRETA]
Members
1,507 posts
11,738 battles
11 hours ago, SaltyMoonshine said:

I have had strings of poor performance in most of my BB's and cruisers.  I have had games in my Worcester with over 400 shell hits and only 2 fires, I have had games with the same number of hits and 10 fires.  I have had games in my musashi where just about every salvo is a citadel and matches where I can't seem to buy one.

The problem is although RNG is random, sometimes it is random in the long term rather than short term which feels like there is no RNG at all.  The other problem is when the RNG favors the player for long periods of time the player tends to chalk it up to the way they should perform all of the time.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles

The only recent change Iowa has had was the Rudder Shift and Repair Party buffs tech tree USN BBs below Tier X received some months back.  Nothing else has happened to them.

In addition, good success in the first 10 or so games in a ship isn't unusual.  The real test is once you start piling on more and more battles.  The real averages, typical performances start showing.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[GC]
Alpha Tester
959 posts
4,423 battles

It is also worth noting that 20 games is a ridiculously small sample size and should not be counted on to indicate anything, statistics-wise.

--Helms

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles
18 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

It is also worth noting that 20 games is a ridiculously small sample size and should not be counted on to indicate anything, statistics-wise.

--Helms

20 games is more than enough to get a good impression of the ship, but personal true performance where you really stand, you need more!

• Cool 1

Members
482 posts
21,933 battles

The Iowa is one BB that I never figured out how to play best and halfway thru the grind I free XP'd my way to the Montana which I really like. :Smile_Default:

Members
48 posts
4,728 battles
On 7/26/2019 at 2:42 AM, HallaSnackbar said:

I have had strings of poor performance in most of my BB's and cruisers.  I have had games in my Worcester with over 400 shell hits and only 2 fires, I have had games with the same number of hits and 10 fires.  I have had games in my musashi where just about every salvo is a citadel and matches where I can't seem to buy one.

The problem is although RNG is random, sometimes it is random in the long term rather than short term which feels like there is no RNG at all.  The other problem is when the RNG favors the player for long periods of time the player tends to chalk it up to the way they should perform all of the time.

Yeah, when I posted the OP I was pretty distraught over  watching a great record in a ship turn to complete crap in just 10 awful games. You can tell how frustrated and emotional I am in the post watching that happen. 

So I changed lines. Played the French Cruisers up until Saint-Louis. 

Won 60% average games in all french ships and did well. That included the Charles Martel in which 50% of games I was bottom tier against T10s.

Now I'm in the Saint-Louis and lost 14 games out of 20 and killed about 7 ships (I just struggle to kill anything in this ship). I've watched a good record in a line just turn to complete crap again. I could barely tolerate it when I experienced the same thing in the Seattle, as even though I only won 30% of games I was doing unicum damage and netting 2+ kills a game, so the losing stung but at least it felt like you were doing well on your own, you know? 

So I hopped on my Yoshino. 60%+ WR, 125k average damage and 1-2 kills. 

Lost 6 games in a row and <50k damage each time. Whatever the hell has happened to the player base T9+ these past weeks has just sucked all fun out of the game, so I think at this point I might just uninstall, as I'm sick of it. Yeah, this has just been a whine-fest :P from a frustrated player.

Edited by SaltyMoonshine

Sign in to follow this