You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KnifeInUrNeck

French DD tactics?

22 comments in this topic

Members
1,015 posts
6,300 battles

Hey gents, I got my hands on the T5 and T6 French DDs. I’ve only played a few rounds but they do seem a bit tricky to do well in so I thought I’d ask the collective. Any tips or strategies you guys have come up with? A lot of DDs aren’t a threat but some of the faster firing DDs like Kidd and others seem to handle the French. I’ve been kiting at mid to max range and wiggling my aft, shooting over cover, and rushing distracted ships. It all seems...ok. Damage seems ok. I’m just not impacting the game and denying like I would in a standard DD. I steal others smoke sometimes and that’s cool and all but not reliable. The MBRB doesn’t last long enough to seem functional. I’m sure I’m doing it wrong so please enlighten me.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,615 posts

Something like this?:Smile_teethhappy:

Spoiler

xhmkYMH.gif

No idea really, but always good for a meme.

Edited by awiggin

Members
1,969 posts

Set the captain up with BFT and AFT. Double rudder fit the ship if possible. They are long range snipers and play near identical to Russian DD's. Kite targets with HE, then rain AP from far away if they go broadside. Don't bother with the torps. Never get closer than 10kms. Don't worry about stealth or radar. Dont stop firing.

I average 100,000 dmg+ in Le Terrible like this. Any experienced Khaba player will know how to French DD.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,731 posts
18,519 battles

from what you say you play you french DDs similar to how I play my Le Terrible, try to use MBRB on enemy ships that just used damacon to set a perma fire on them or against broadside cruisers to AP them to death, you can use it to turn the tide of knife fight against an enemy DD, French DDs play like ambush predatory gunboats primary they can play like RU DDs but their shells are somewhat floaty for long distance kiting unless you showering enemy BBs with your 139mm droplets.

• Cool 1

[PENND]
Members
358 posts
8,224 battles

Never stop moving. BFT helps a lot but the extra hit points Survivability Expert provides can make all the difference. AFT is an absolute must as 90% of the time you're going to want to be riding the edge of your firing range so you have more time to dodge enemy shells. Only late in the game should you even consider using your torps unless an opportune moment comes up.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,841 posts
29,513 battles
53 minutes ago, SYST3M_OVERIDE said:

Never stop moving. BFT helps a lot but the extra hit points Survivability Expert provides can make all the difference. AFT is an absolute must as 90% of the time you're going to want to be riding the edge of your firing range so you have more time to dodge enemy shells. Only late in the game should you even consider using your torps unless an opportune moment comes up.

'Shoot from ship 'X' at or near max range...'

I see this being said so much; it sure would be nice to have some Reds that sit still long enough (metaphorically) for this tactic to work...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[PENND]
Members
358 posts
8,224 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I see this being said so much; it sure would be nice to have some Reds that sit still long enough (metaphorically) for this tactic to work...

That's why you alter you distance to stay at the very edge of your range. As I said you never want to stop moving so your not going to be sitting in one spot. There for the enemy doesn't need to be "sitting still". You go with the flow sort of speak.

[TNG]
Members
1,140 posts
8,993 battles

I dont agree with not building for concealment, and going for double rudder.

They are essentially anti-DD boats and with concealment they have a remote chance to close, kill, then get out at lol speeds. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles

I'm not sure about this line.  I see a line of "Le Terrible" and that didn't go over so well with people.

I see a line of RU DDs that give up Smoke for MBRB consumable, then repainted as French.

Edit:  I still vividly remember all the hate for how Le Terrible played by many around here.  The question is this:  How many of you guys now have spent money to get access to these DDs, which are basically the same thing as Le Terrible :Smile_trollface:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
765 posts
72 battles
3 hours ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

Hey gents, I got my hands on the T5 and T6 French DDs. I’ve only played a few rounds but they do seem a bit tricky to do well in so I thought I’d ask the collective. Any tips or strategies you guys have come up with? A lot of DDs aren’t a threat but some of the faster firing DDs like Kidd and others seem to handle the French. I’ve been kiting at mid to max range and wiggling my aft, shooting over cover, and rushing distracted ships. It all seems...ok. Damage seems ok. I’m just not impacting the game and denying like I would in a standard DD. I steal others smoke sometimes and that’s cool and all but not reliable. The MBRB doesn’t last long enough to seem functional. I’m sure I’m doing it wrong so please enlighten me.

I havent played them myself yet but I have pretty good experience in the cruisers and have a pretty good idea for how I will play these. As WG stated they are not for rushing in with speedboost to take fast caps, but instead use that great speed to relocate fast around the map to find the perfect spots for most "Bang for the Buck" on your reload booster. Reload boosters on this DDs are ONLY for killing DDs, never waste on to set some fires on a BB or cruiser, IF it wont secure a kill.

French DDs are best at killing other DDs but lack the consealment, so minimap is your friend, where have enemy DDs been spotted and how can you use that information and speed boost to launch a surprise attack on him?

Coming around an island, surprising a enemy DD with your reload booster should get you the kill very fast and after that just speed boost away and go dark. Rinse and repeat to all their DDs are dead, then you try and make the most at playing the Henri kiting game with their cruisers and BBs, and of course secure the caps.

The upgraded speed boost module you can buy in the Armoury is a must for this line, Having the Honore twin brother captain is also pretty good.

Edited by Oldschool_Gaming_YT

[KRAK]
Members
3,727 posts
22,592 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

They do not need to sit still when you have flat shell trajectories. DDs with those balloon arcs are the only ones who have issues hitting ships at range.

[RLGN]
Members
16,841 posts
29,513 battles
6 minutes ago, The_Ice_Cream_Man_ said:

think of it as a weak fast cruiser with good range for a dd and no smoke. ur an island humper or a long range he spammer.

WG is so schizophrenic it’s laughable.

Do they want us to brawl? Or snipe each other from range?

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,918 posts
10,625 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I'm not sure about this line.  I see a line of "Le Terrible" and that didn't go over so well with people.

I see a line of RU DDs that give up Smoke for MBRB consumable, then repainted as French.

Edit:  I still vividly remember all the hate for how Le Terrible played by many around here.  The question is this:  How many of you guys now have spent money to get access to these DDs, which are basically the same thing as Le Terrible :Smile_trollface:

Except this statement ignores the series of buffs Terrible got from her initial awful inception which truly did make her interesting after it was all said and done, which serves as the basis for the the French DD design for all of its pros and cons.

Mocking people is great and all, but leaving out such important facts just makes you look like a jerk when you do it this way.

[-N-]
Members
2,270 posts
15,527 battles
26 minutes ago, CaliburxZero said:

Except this statement ignores the series of buffs Terrible got from her initial awful inception which truly did make her interesting after it was all said and done, which serves as the basis for the the French DD design for all of its pros and cons.

Mocking people is great and all, but leaving out such important facts just makes you look like a jerk when you do it this way.

Yeah, they fixed a lot of what was wrong with Le Terrible.  It is a solid bote now.

I have mine built out for range (really with no smoke you have to) and max speed.  That special Speed Boost Mod...  Yeah put that on there!!!!  Going as fast as you do, you can actually make a run past a lot of BBs before the mains can turn, so you can Ambush Torp them.   Oh and DDs without Hydro in smoke, rushing the smoke and dumping torps into them before they can react... PRICELESS!!!

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,656 posts
19,737 battles
3 hours ago, The_Ice_Cream_Man_ said:

think of it as a weak fast cruiser with good range for a dd and no smoke. ur an island humper or a long range he spammer.

Contre-torpeilleur favours your interpretation. Go back to the original, full definition of a DD: "TORPEDO-BOAT DESTROYER."

The DD in most navies became the TB it was built to destroy, but I suspect the French kept the specific category alive, somewhere in between the fleet destroyer and the light cruiser (which Le Terrible was reclassified as IRL after her final wartime refit).

[WOLFG]
Members
151 posts
12,223 battles
28 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

Yeah, they fixed a lot of what was wrong with Le Terrible.  It is a solid bote now.

I have mine built out for range (really with no smoke you have to) and max speed.  That special Speed Boost Mod...  Yeah put that on there!!!!  Going as fast as you do, you can actually make a run past a lot of BBs before the mains can turn, so you can Ambush Torp them.   Oh and DDs without Hydro in smoke, rushing the smoke and dumping torps into them before they can react... PRICELESS!!!

Totally agree. I’ll add that if you get into the enemy backfield, the threat of torps and dakka dakka in the back usually draws a few ships in a wild goose chase. They will never catch you!

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,734 posts
13,720 battles

I personally haven’t played them, but I also haven’t seen them be particularly useful ships either.

Like a no-stealth/AFT Gumo, they can get great damage numbers while at the same time being absolutely trash at actually winning games.

[-N-]
Members
2,270 posts
15,527 battles
1 hour ago, pallas_2 said:

Totally agree. I’ll add that if you get into the enemy backfield, the threat of torps and dakka dakka in the back usually draws a few ships in a wild goose chase. They will never catch you!

Oh I agree.  

[WOLFG]
Members
151 posts
12,223 battles

It might be worth noting that I was awful in my first 10 games in Le Terrible, but it’s been good since then. Using warp speed for effect and showing up in surprising places takes some time to figure out. Had a 2,500 base XP game last night ... partly done with mid to late game capping with 50+ knot speeds.