You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Turn Radii of Tier 7 & 10 Destroyers Visualized

59 comments in this topic

Members
811 posts

Thanks for the info mouse. Upvote fired.

Also first for a change sorry lert. *pets Lert to appease him*

Edited by JToney3449
  • Boring 1

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
12,953 posts
11,269 battles
1 minute ago, henrychenhenry said:

@LittleWhiteMouse Great image! I'm wondering if you can add a scale bar of sorts? (to better quantitatively visualize the radii).

Mm, I can.  Gimme a couple of hours.

• Cool 1

12,953 posts
11,269 battles
2 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

No rush, already a great image. :Smile_smile:

Done. 

[ edit ] Reload the image.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 2

[OIL-1]
Members
1,959 posts

Excellent work again. Thanks Little Mouse.

[SIM]
Members
5,916 posts
9,444 battles

Thanks Mouse, that's a handy reference (and gives me just a bit more appreciation for the Sims).

[WOLFA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,360 posts

cool, as one who is always running into islands does speed effect turn radius? am i slowing down for nothing or does it help ...

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles
11 minutes ago, Ozium said:

cool, as one who is always running into islands does speed effect turn radius? am i slowing down for nothing or does it help ...

It does. Depending on the ship usually 1/2 or 3/4 speed gives the best results. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

12,953 posts
11,269 battles
23 minutes ago, Ozium said:

Smallest turning radius occurs between 15 knots and 20 knots while turning.  What engine setting you need to use depends upon the type and class of ship you're sailing.

• Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,360 posts
20 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

It does. Depending on the ship usually 1/2 or 3/4 speed gives the best results. 

5 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Smallest turning radius occurs between 15 knots and 20 knots while turning.  What engine setting you need to use depends upon the type and class of ship you're sailing.

ok, thanks

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,640 posts
4,774 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I think the question was whether your data was taken at full speed, or at a speed closer to optimal for turning.  (I suspect it's full speed.)

Nice illustration.  I'm wondering how it might fit into the wiki, if that's alright with you.  (It might not, but let me sleep on it.)

12,953 posts
11,269 battles
6 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I think the question was whether your data was taken at full speed, or at a speed closer to optimal for turning.  (I suspect it's full speed.)

Nice illustration.  I'm wondering how it might fit into the wiki, if that's alright with you.  (It might not, but let me sleep on it.)

I'm turning at 4/4 speed but letting the ship finish decelerating and it's speed stabilize before taking the measurements.  Ships decelerate at different rates and have different rudder shift times, etc.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,734 posts
13,730 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

So these turn radius are at those engines speeds?

Or are they at full power and reflective of what would actually happen in the game?

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to figure out if these are useful when actually playing the game or just an academic best-case comparison that would never actually be used in-game. Either one is interesting, just want to know which is which.

/Goes and plays a game in Sims... Poops torpedoes everywhere.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,734 posts
13,730 battles
14 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I'm turning at 4/4 speed but letting the ship finish decelerating and it's speed stabilize before taking the measurements.  Ships decelerate at different rates and have different rudder shift times, etc.

Oops, sorry. Started writing my post before this was posted. Thanks for the clarification.

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Fa4LApj.jpg

Wf0dxsb.jpg

Tier 10 radii are approximate for Harugumo, Z-52, Grozovoi, Khabarovsk and Yueyang.

Please add a GK to the tier 10 one so Haruguma doesn't look so bad... Lol

• Funny 1

Members
182 posts
3,008 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Tier 10 radii are approximate for Harugumo, Z-52, Grozovoi, Khabarovsk and Yueyang.

Why are these radii approximate?
Also, why does Daring have a '~' in front?

48 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

This is not quite the same, but ship speed while turning is a stat I'd like to see for all ships, or an equivalent like turning rate or time to turn some angle, which combined with turning radius (which is listed in the wiki), can be used to calculate the others.  As far as I know, this isn't stated anywhere, unless Mouse has reviewed that ship and put it in.  Could it be added to the wiki?
I guess someone would have to test every ship for that, if it hasn't already been done.

Another idea for the wiki is comparison tables.  Graphics like these would go well with them.

• Cool 1