You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kami

French DD Tips Guide!

32 comments in this topic

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,443 battles

frdd.png

Hey Captains,

Welcome to Kami's guide to playing French Destroyers(ok-ish) and Bayard!

Introduction: 

The French destroyers have been released to the game in early access and bring a whole different experience to the game. The French destroyers bring a combination of speed, fast but average range torpedoes, hard hitting guns and mostly graceful lines! The French destroyers stand out for a couple of reasons: Speed and more speed, main battery reload booster starting with Tier VI, Tier VIII and higher have flat shell trajectories for AP shells and the hulls HP layout is different than other destroyers. One big characteristic of French DDs that you will see is there is NO smoke generator on any of the ships in the line. I am going to give tips on how I would play the ships which will include: commander skills, modules, tactics and general tips to play French DDs.

Note: Mogador and Kleber will not be available to be researched until patch 0.8.8. (this is in the official patch notes).

Let us go over the some of the basics before we get into the meat and potatoes!

• The French DDs are quite fast but that is not an excuse to not maneuver and pay attention!
  • Speed tanking is the worst type of tanking, don't rely on just outrunning everything.
  • From tier VIII and up you get flatter shell trajectories, so make sure you are using the AP!
  • You have fast torpedoes at the higher tiers but they are more of self-defense torpedoes or ambush torpedoes than regular use torpedoes. You do have a little bit of concealment to use but be mindful of that!
  • Make use of the Main Battery Reload Booster on targets of opportunity.
  • Always have an escape route! This means, make sure you are thinking a few minutes ahead of time, where you want to be and not where you are. This is a huge part of learning correct movements in game.

Now onto the Commander Skills:

Commander Skills: This is where you can have a few variations and the way I build ships might be the exact way you will, but I will give you my build.

So looking at the strengths and the weaknesses of these ships, this is what I would use: https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,9,12,20,23,25,28&ship=Destroyer

I chose the following skills and this is why:

skill.PNG

• Priority Target (PT): This is my go to tier 1 commander skill. I have not found a reason to take any other commander skill at tier 1. I am open to suggestions and reasons to take another tier 1 skill here.
  • Last Stand (LS): This is the ONE skill that I find is a MUST for ALL destroyers. IF you are not using this skill on your DD, you will be a sitting duck once your engine/steering gets knocked out. Without engine power you will grind to a halt and without steering, enjoy that course you are stuck on.
  • Survivability Expert (SE): In this slot you can argue to take Superintendent as well but I chose SE for the extra HP. When you combine this with the recently revealed French commander, you get a nice pool of HP to work with. Remember the captain is currently slated for 0.8.7. and you can find more info on the Developer's Blog regarding him. https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/195781-st-french-arc-part-2-new-unique-commander-and-collection/
  • Concealment Expert (CE): Yes, I know the French DDs do not have smoke to help you disengage but that does not mean you don't want to get as close as you can to the enemy before you engage(in the case of trying to spot an enemy DD). Taking Concealment Expert helps this of course. This can also help you when it comes time to disengage and allows you to at a further range than normal.

These would be the skills I would spend my first 10 points on but there can be a case built to switch SE to BFT and CE to AFT if you want to go full gunboat right away. Here are the skills I would round out my 19 point commander build with.

• Advanced Fire Training (AFT): This is plain and simple really, more range for your guns means more shooting of the enemy ships.
  • Basic Fire Training (BFT): This skill is another one that is pretty simple for the gunboat mentality that these DDs have. This skill will help your guns reload faster. 
  • Adrenaline Rush (AR): Adrenaline Rush is a great skill that will increase the amount of damage you can do as you take damage. This is because your reload will get lower as you take more damage.

This is how I would initially build my FR DDs with a 19 point commander, I am definitely open to discussing the merits of other skills. I think this build falls into a good spot for balance. What are some skills that you would choose instead of what I chose and why?

When it comes to ship upgrades, we want to make sure we pick the best modules for the ship. As you move along the French DD tree you will of course get more slots based on what tier you are at. I am going to put my recommendations down each slot as if you had all of them. 

Upgrades: Where applicable tier wise.

Slot 1: Main Armament Mod 1 and really I don't think the other choices are close. 

Slot 2: Engine Boost Mod in this slot (I think!). This of course to further buff you flexibility and speed around the map.

Slot 3: Aiming Systems Mod 1 would be my choice, but there really isn't another choice here in my opinion.

Slot 4: Steering Gears Mod 2 would be my choice for the ability to maneuver better but Propulsion Mod 1 could get here as well. This would be personal preference I feel.

Slot 5: Concealment System Mod 1 is my choice and is my choice on almost every ship that can equip it. You could use Steering Gears Mod 1 if you want to go that build fully and this might not be a bad choice. I would like to see your results with both builds.

Slot 6: Main Battery Mod 3 to get that sweet reload for the cost of some turret traverse. This is definitely a fair trade for more damage. 

Consumables: I would suggest Premium consumables for all of these.

Damage Control Party: This is simple and make sure you use premium Damage Control Party here.

Speed Boost: Pretty self explanatory as well, this will help you flex around the map.

Main Battery Reload Booster: This is your bread and butter! This helps really get the damage pumped out. You should end the battle with 0 of these if you are alive for a significant amount of time. You should be taking advantage of using this consumable at all opportune times. 

Moving onto the destroyers themselves!

Fr DDs.jpg

Note: As you can see in this awesome graphic, you can get early access to the tier V through tier IX. Tiers II-IV will be available in 0.8.7. and Kleber in 0.8.8.

I am going to highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the line as a whole and touch on some of the ships that have some stand out characteristics. 

Strengths: 

• First and foremost the line has speed and more speed. This is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. "Having great speed, brings great responsibility"! What I mean by this, is the speed of these ships can get you into trouble if you are not careful. If you are not paying attention you can get to a spot on the map without any help. In a game that has a CV this is very bad for you because your AA is mediocre at best. In a game without a CV this could be the best position for you as you are on the flank and able to deal damage. Just pay attention to where you are on the map and where your teammates are. You never know when you could use some support against an enemy DD or cruiser.
  • Tier VIII and up ballistics and AP penetration. This is where the line really shines with its guns combined with Main Battery Reload Booster. With the flatter trajectory of the shells you can more reliably hit ships at a farther distance. 
  • Main Battery Reload Booster: This is quite important to your burst damage and your overall damage. First of all your burst damage, this is where you pop the reload booster and deal a good amount of damage in a short amount of time. There are definitely optimal times to use this consumable and that includes: Ships that have just used their DCP, low health ships that you can finish off and broadside ships that you can punish in a short amount of time. For your overall damage you should definitely end most battles with this having no charges left. 
  • You are a great support DD, let the DD with the smoke and better concealment get into the cap and you provide covering fire for them. Make sure you communicate this to your allied DDs as well because you don't want to get caught in a cap!

Please list any other strengths you can think of but these are the ones that come to mind right away!

Weaknesses:

• Speed! I know, I listed this as a strength as well. The reason it is a weakness is the ability to overextend and do it very quickly. There will be other ships in the game that target you (CV) if they know you are alone. You have to make the right use of your speed, get to an exposed flank or harass ships from the mid-line of your team until you seen an opportunity. Just make sure you are paying attention to the map, where your friendlies are and where the most dangerous enemies to you were last spotted. i.e. Radar ships, other DDs and planes.
  • AA defense: This is definitely not a strength of these ships. You are better off avoiding planes the best you can instead of using your AA to try and shoot planes down. Make sure you hit "P" and have your AA off as long as you can if there is a CV in the game.
  • NO SMOKE: let me reiterate that real quick, there is no smoke generator on these ships at all. You must use your ability to dodge, use teammate's smoke and just get used to being spotted most of the time if you are shooting. This is one of the key parts of the line and to get good at these ships, you will have to adapt your game to not rely on smoke shooting.
  • "Speed Tanking" - this is the least effective way to tank damage. Essentially you are using your speed to "tank" damage. If you are good at dodging this can be done well but you still will not mitigate all damage. Especially in a DD with no smoke/heal, make sure you always are paying attention to incoming fire and dodging the best you can.
  • Large silhouettes of the ships. This making hitting the ships easier from a farther range. Enemies might land more shells on your ship and more consistently. This can be a real issue if you run into a cruiser that has higher velocity HE shells and can reliably hit you

These are some of the major weaknesses of the line that I have come across, if you have any more feel free to discuss!

Last but not least, the Bayard!

Bayard.jpg

Commander Skills:

bayard.PNG

• Tier 1: Priority Target - This is easily the best choice for a tier 1 skill.
  • Tier 2: Expert Marksman - Turrets turning quicker is always better. The other option you can do here is AR but EM is the better tier 2 skill to get first.
  • Tier 3: Superintendent - More consumables the better!
  • Tier 4: IFHE - This skill right now is the key to making sure your 152mm guns do damage consistently. You will still get fires but this allows your shells to penetrate the armor thickness needed.

Other Skills to get include: 

• Concealment Expert - This commander skill is pretty self explanatory.
  • Demolition Expert - This kind of helps offset the IFHE fire reduction chance.
  • Adrenaline Rush - This is where you take AR if you want it, I think. This is your second tier 2 skill.

Feel free to give me your opinions on how you built the Bayard and we can discuss it! 

Upgrade Slots:

• Slot 1: Main Armament Mod 1
  • Slot 2: Engine Boost Mod 1
  • Slot 3: AA Guns Mod 1
  • Slot 4: Propulsion Mod 1
  • Slot 5: Concealment Mod 1

Consumables: If possible, premium consumables for all.

Damage Control Party: This is on every ship =).

Defensive Fire: With the Bayard being tier VIII, you will see more CVs.

Engine Boost: Go fast!

MBRB: Make sure you are using all of these if possible to maximize your damage.

Strengths:

• Speed! This is a strength of this ship just like the French destroyers. As with the French destroyers you have to be mindful of where you are at on the map and pay attention to your surroundings. Do not overextend if you can help it and make sure you have a way to get to safety.
  • Shell Arcs: The arcs on the Bayard allow you to play the ship a few different ways. You can do the open water, shooting at everything or you can do the sit behind an island and shoot that way. These are 2 completely different styles and you have to determine which way you want to play the Bayard. I like to do the open water style and use the speed to help dodge shells. The worst feeling is being behind an island, not paying attention for a second and BAM! dead. I would recommend trying both and seeing which way fits you best.
  • ROF: The Bayard has decent rate of fire and can be a real nuisance when this is combined with IFHE. You have more range than the Cleveland so this lets you sit a little farther back and still be effective. Make sure you take advantage of this using the ROF to help adjust your aim.
  • Main Battery Reload Booster: This again like the French DDs is your bread and butter to putting out the damage. Make sure you use them at opportune times and don't end the battle with any remaining! If you do, you are losing out on damage. 

Weaknesses:

• Speed: Again, just like the French destroyers, speed will be listed as a weakness. You have to be aware of your surroundings and your team. Granted in a CL you might not be as inclined to get up the flank and get ahead of the team. Just food for thought, don't overextend too early!
  • Squishy: The Bayard is quite susceptible to damage, so don't rely on tanking very much damage. You have 16mm armor plating and this will not protect you from much. Do your best to avoid shots as your "armor". Get the focus off of you and onto a friendly BB that can take the hits for you.
  • Average HP pool: This is not really a huge weakness but be aware of this since you have no way of recovering HP. Play smart and you can stretch the HP a long ways.

These are my strengths and weaknesses of the Bayard, feel free to post your in-game experience in the ship so we can discuss it!

Hey Captains, 

I know this is quite long winded and I probably missed something that you can all add to this! Please feel free to discuss your experiences in the French DDs and the Bayard.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[R-L]
Members
13 posts
14,475 battles

How do I purchase or research the French DD's?  I see some of them on Tech Tree, but when I click on to purchase there is no option? 

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,443 battles
4 minutes ago, eagleye111 said:

How do I purchase or research the French DD's?  I see some of them on Tech Tree, but when I click on to purchase there is no option? 

Hey eagleye111,

The French DDs are currently in early access. You can get them out of the French containers that are in the armory or the Premium Shop. When you open the container you have a chance at getting a mission to drop that will unlock a tier V through VIII French DD. 

[PVE]
Members
20,171 posts
13,061 battles
4 hours ago, eagleye111 said:

4 hours ago, Kami said:

Hey eagleye111,

The French DDs are currently in early access. You can get them out of the French containers that are in the armory or the Premium Shop. When you open the container you have a chance at getting a mission to drop that will unlock a tier V through VIII French DD. 

4 hours ago, eagleye111 said:

Thanks.

There are also 20 French containers as rewards in the French Directives. The red/blue banner in the upper left of your port. You can also get 3 in the Daily Shipments. There will be 7 more, likely tied to August Daily Missions that you can get as well.

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,443 battles

Good call @Kizarvexis!

He is 100% correct, you will be able to get some containers from the French Directives and daily shipments.

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
40 posts
12,998 battles

Thank you for the info.  I need it, because I think the Geupard is the ABSOLUTE WORST DD EVER.  I rarely [edited] about ships, but I just got this and find it to be worthless.  It doesnt maneuver worth a damn, its guns cannot outgun other DDs even with the Reload Booster, I lose gunfights, have no smoke to hide in and cant out run anything.  Everyone has 8km torps,so what.

I have plenty of T10s I ground up to.  Play US and Japanese DDs d(evensome Russian) and love them.  But the Geupard is a piece of crap.

Cant wait to move up because I would never willingly play this garbage scow.

So sorry to [edited]. But in two+ years playing, I have never been so frustrated.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Members
59 posts
8,925 battles
On 7/27/2019 at 11:11 AM, Patosentado said:

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!!

Any tips on Siroco?

Don't stop moving , unless your behind an Island. The Siroco top speed is 33 knots ... NOT FAST !!!! EVEN SLOW compared to the Tier 5 US & Pan Asian destroyers. With no smoke you have to learn how to survive while also keeping an eye open to use the Main Battery Booster. Not easy when your a relatively BIG DD !!! Did not care for the Le Terrible when it came out either. But that IS THE FASTEST ship in the game. Siroco is not a Le Terrible cousin. The French DD Aigle is one of the funner DDs to play but it has smoke & no Main Battery Booster. So completely different play style.

Once the Siroco is seen more in battle it might be more of a prime target than other ships. 

Edited by Abramms111
add
  • Cool 1

[5IN]
Members
335 posts
25,777 battles
22 hours ago, KelvarGarth said:

Thank you for the info.  I need it, because I think the Geupard is the ABSOLUTE WORST DD EVER.  I rarely [edited] about ships, but I just got this and find it to be worthless.  It doesnt maneuver worth a damn, its guns cannot outgun other DDs even with the Reload Booster, I lose gunfights, have no smoke to hide in and cant out run anything.  Everyone has 8km torps,so what.

I have plenty of T10s I ground up to.  Play US and Japanese DDs d(evensome Russian) and love them.  But the Geupard is a piece of crap.

So sorry to [edited]. But in two+ years playing, I have never been so frustrated.

I agree with you 100% Spot on and I'm usually GREAT in "bad" ships I can't make this thing work either find it to be underpowered I think maybe if French DD's got a Special disconnect boost like, when you fire guns you have to wait 20seconds in any ship before your gun bloom goes away and you fall of detection,  without smoke, without good mobility besides in a straight line, these lower mid tier ships need something, anything to help them be competitive.  So maybe we can fall off detection faster as the national quirk/ability give us 10seconds of gun bloom vs 20?  The gun angles are terrible you have to expose a big target to get more than 2 guns on target the velocity on the guns is so bad I struggle to hit normal speed DD's because I have to lead them like a full speed boosted Leningrad just to land a shot.  I am hopeful with practice I can figure out how to get something out of this ship but after playing the Guepard for the 15k to get the tokens It will be hard for me to ever press Battle again with this ship selected. 

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
3,427 posts
16,625 battles

So, given my (lack of) luck with the RNG loot boxes surprise mechanics, I'll not get a mission crate.  Haven't seen one since I got the T5 mission for the French BB.  So how much XP would I need to grind out on Jurien to be able to unlock this line once it does become available?

[SWOLF]
Members
27 posts
21,726 battles

This is looking like one more event you have to pay to even have a chance at finishing.

Got all but 1 container on the first and second rounds and no DD mission. This is a terrible mechanic for introducing ships.

I hate buying loot crates it's like playing slot machines. Be honest and just have a ticket you BUY for the event since you are making it a pay to finish event. This isn't the first event this has happened to me. This is so aggravating it ruins the game.

If you want my opinion of this event so far it's EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED times ten.

[INTEL]
Members
1,787 posts
16,634 battles

I've been using Guepard in OPs. However you think of it in randoms or Co-Op its straight up beastly when used well in an Op. I haven't found it to be lacking at all. Keeping in mind I'm very comfortable with open water gunboating, its as good as any DD at T6 in that role. I suspect it just has a very high skill floor.

guepardAegis142k.thumb.PNG.449556bf7874359947cdfc336a0c6dd5.PNGguepardAegis173k.thumb.PNG.94268e0a864599464f18548bf87a6788.PNG

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,443 battles
On 7/31/2019 at 2:12 AM, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

Here´s my review of the T5 Jaguar and some tips and tricks!

Nice! Good write up and thanks for sharing with the community!

3 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

I've been using Guepard in OPs. However you think of it in randoms or Co-Op its straight up beastly when used well in an Op. I haven't found it to be lacking at all. Keeping in mind I'm very comfortable with open water gunboating, its as good as any DD at T6 in that role. I suspect it just has a very high skill floor.

guepardAegis142k.thumb.PNG.449556bf7874359947cdfc336a0c6dd5.PNGguepardAegis173k.thumb.PNG.94268e0a864599464f18548bf87a6788.PNG

Nice work in ops! What have you liked most about the Guepard?

[INTEL]
Members
1,787 posts
16,634 battles
2 hours ago, Kami said:

Nice work in ops! What have you liked most about the Guepard?

I play a very aggressive DD in OPs. Hard hitting guns and reload boost allows me to ambush cruisers like no other DD. Its becoming the norm to waste even a full health Myoko before it can get its guns around.

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,942 posts
40,200 battles

AFT is pretty useless on the Tier 5 and 6 French DDs. The shells are so floaty it’s hard to hit anything, and AFT just extends the range of your gun bloom. 

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,305 battles

Tip No. 1 for French DDs, pack this:

Spoiler

image.png.32e717be7c5a75fdf3a96f1c11b95e85.png

In case you run into this:

Spoiler

image.png.c9ba7a52e0f85c3cce1b90895c6205d3.png

[TF_16]
Members
103 posts
18,760 battles
On 7/27/2019 at 4:29 PM, KelvarGarth said:

I just played first game in Jaguar and was not impressed. With engine booster and a mild turn for 3 seconds I find myself at 30km easy. Lame.
Now onto the Guepard. Thinking I will very much agree with you.

We already have the Henri IV line. Not sure why they thought a mini line would be useful. Have a feeling this is a very niche DD line that few will play in a month or so. 

Members
5 posts
9,414 battles
On 7/30/2019 at 6:47 PM, LFSternn said:

This is looking like one more event you have to pay to even have a chance at finishing.

Got all but 1 container on the first and second rounds and no DD mission. This is a terrible mechanic for introducing ships.

I hate buying loot crates it's like playing slot machines. Be honest and just have a ticket you BUY for the event since you are making it a pay to finish event. This isn't the first event this has happened to me. This is so aggravating it ruins the game.

If you want my opinion of this event so far it's EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED times ten.

^^ This, 100% ^^

I've opened just about every container that's been available to earn with missions up to this point and haven't received a single mission. In the Russian BB event, I played less consistently than I am now and still got access to 3 of them.

EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED as well.

• Cool 2

[CVA16]
Members
6,875 posts
21,086 battles
On 7/23/2019 at 9:57 AM, Kami said:

First and foremost the line has speed and more speed.

Seems the Russian line often beats the French here (especially T5 where the Pod is 6-7kts faster) and they get smoke and as good or better guns. The French get better torps but no-one should ever consider them torp boats.

[WOLFG]
Members
151 posts
12,272 battles
On 8/2/2019 at 11:49 AM, Ares1967 said:

What range were at to get the citadels? I’ve had good success getting them against T6 and below cruisers, but have not pushed the range much beyond 5.5km with AP. That was living too dangerously for me to do often.