warheart1992

Fifa packs and loot boxes deemed NOT gambling in UK.

13 comments in this topic

[KWF]
Members
6,719 posts
7,321 battles

Since I know people around are following these news. I'm pretty certain this will be used as a precedent in many similar hearings. If I'm not mistaken there will be a hearing in the US as well.

The UK gambling watchdog has told MPs that it does not currently oversee the purchase of in-game content like Fifa player packs and video game loot boxes.

This is because there is no official way to monetise what is inside them.

A prize has to be either money or have monetary value in order for it to fall under gambling legislation.

However, there are unauthorised third party sites which buy and sell in-game content or enable it to be used as virtual currency.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49074003

Based on this definition lootboxes (and I guess WoWs ones as well since they are in our immediate interest) do not constitute gambling in the UK.

While I can understand the logic, lootboxes (especially in specific games) can still be a shady practice in my opinion, something which paying customers should take into account before buying these digital products.

Edited by warheart1992

[MELON]
Members
984 posts
2,894 battles

Well I know where i wont be moving too

• Boring 1

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,377 posts
28,299 battles
18 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

A prize has to be either money or have monetary value in order for it to fall under gambling legislation.

So digital content has no monetary value? Hmm guess they can uptier Guilio now.

• Boring 1

[KWF]
Members
6,719 posts
7,321 battles
3 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

So digital content has no monetary value? Hmm guess they can uptier Guilio now.

The way I understand it is that they mean monetary value in the sense of you being able to sell someone else Giulio or any premium ship in exchange for money.

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,377 posts
28,299 battles
3 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The way I understand it is that they mean monetary value in the sense of you being able to sell someone else Giulio or any premium ship in exchange for money.

I'm looking at as pixels and lines of code in game have no actual value outside of that game. It's not money and it's not worth money.

[APES]
Members
1,496 posts
10,117 battles

The legislation has not caught up with technology.  Virtual items are still a gray area which is why video games get away with these shady practices.  People get upset over the thought of regulation, but they don't realize there is regulation in everything.  Even legal gambling is highly regulated.  Would you want to put money in a slot machine that is rigged to never pay out?  In game items should be no different than tangible items.  When you go to Home Depot to buy a washing machine, you don't want to buy a loot box that may have a washing machine do you?  I think there is a disconnect because these are virtual items, but you don't use virtual money to buy them.

Once loot boxes are gone, we will be able to buy exactly what we want.  Loot boxes are designed to sell you items you normally would not have bought.  I really don't understand anyone wanting to keep them.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
821 posts

The people to watch are the EU.  They'll regulate and/or tax anything.

[SALVO]
Members
26,738 posts
32,144 battles
1 hour ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

The legislation has not caught up with technology.  Virtual items are still a gray area which is why video games get away with these shady practices.  People get upset over the thought of regulation, but they don't realize there is regulation in everything.  Even legal gambling is highly regulated.  Would you want to put money in a slot machine that is rigged to never pay out?  In game items should be no different than tangible items.  When you go to Home Depot to buy a washing machine, you don't want to buy a loot box that may have a washing machine do you?  I think there is a disconnect because these are virtual items, but you don't use virtual money to buy them.

Once loot boxes are gone, we will be able to buy exactly what we want.  Loot boxes are designed to sell you items you normally would not have bought.  I really don't understand anyone wanting to keep them.

I agree with the first sentence.  That's a good way to look at it.  I wouldn't blame the UK for this.  I'd rather have laws that were applied using strict readings of the law's language, rather than loose readings of a law that are soooo damned loose that prosecutors could twist the language to make almost anything illegal.  And if legislators want loot boxes to be illegal, I'd rather that they write up laws that speak directly to the issue, rather than just beg their attorneys general to just twist laws to fit whatever they want out of them.

[APES]
Members
1,496 posts
10,117 battles

Another issue with loot boxes is companies don't have to disclose anything about the mechanism or odds.  Digital randomness is really only simulated by algorithms.  There is a system called Provably Fair that is used with online gambling, that allows each roll to be verified.  At least it adds some protection against being cheated.  Without any proof that they function as intended or with certain odds, people are still willing to spend a lot of money. 

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles
1 hour ago, Viper069 said:

he people to watch are the EU.  They'll regulate and/or tax anything.

Briton is not part of the EU... Briton now is a heaven for the rich and the well connected (Think a Singapore of Europe)...

My telenovela (Brexit) is only getting more interesting once season 2 starts in October.. OOOOOORRRRDDDDDEEEER!!!!

[BB-57]
Members
532 posts
16,225 battles

Have never felt cheated, several hundred crates bought over the years, you get "stuff" worth at least what you paid. Even with the strange run last Christmas where I got 5 maybe 6 Krasny Krym's, each duplicate rendered doubloons a port slot and a 10 point Captain. Sure I would have liked a ship I didn't already own, yet I haven't had to buy and train a 3 point Captain for awhile. I like the crates and will continue to purchase them. If you don't like crates, don't buy them. Just leave us alone, why some people feel the petty need to interject themselves into other peoples fun, I'll never understand. Crates I buy don't hurt me nor should they concern you, crates you don't buy don't hurt you nor does that concern anyone. Quityerwhining.

Its a game... Have Fun!

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,162 posts

They don't have the law on the books that let them regulate loot boxes. It's now on the legislators to give them that power, many, if not all on the commission are aware and agree that said systems are exploitative, but their hands are tied at the moment.