Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hulks

Worst thing about being a mainly DD player...

103 comments in this topic

[ROCT]
Members
34 posts

...for me it's everyone always wants to tell you how to play. This doesn't happen to me in other ships. Main issue is they expect you to cap immediately. As a Japanese DD this simply doesn't work well, you get out gunned often if there is an opposition DD or if there is too much heat at that cap. As a Japanese DD you have to play stealthy, scout and plan your attack, then you can be effective but who has the time or patience to tell the whingers every match!? To make matters worse, I use the torp reload for max fun rather than the smoke and boy do you hear about it. No one understands why you are not smoking.

Feel free to add your worst thing or simply add to the constant complaining I get in matches these days. I swear this used to be a great community!   :)

• Cool 13
  • Boring 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,622 posts
15 minutes ago, Hulks said:

...for me it's everyone always wants to tell you how to play. This doesn't happen to me in other ships. Main issue is they expect you to cap immediately. As a Japanese DD this simply doesn't work well, you get out gunned often if there is an opposition DD or if there is too much heat at that cap. As a Japanese DD you have to play stealthy, scout and plan your attack, then you can be effective but who has the time or patience to tell the whingers every match!? To make matters worse, I use the torp reload for max fun rather than the smoke and boy do you hear about it. No one understands why you are not smoking.

Feel free to add your worst thing or simply add to the constant complaining I get in matches these days. I swear this used to be a great community!   :)

I get told how to play my ship, what to do and where to go, far far more in my CVs than DDs.

I completely ignore it mind you and play my ship how I see fit, just like anyone else. If you want to see what it is like for a bunch of other people to try to play your ship for you though, load up in a CV.

Everyone suddenly thinks they are an expert, and all the experts want you to do different things at the same time.

• Cool 1

[ROCT]
Members
34 posts
Just now, Burnsy said:

I get told how to play my ship, what to do and where to go, far far more in my CVs than DDs.

I completely ignore it mind you and play my ship how I see fit, just like anyone else. If you want to see what it is like for a bunch of other people to try to play your ship for you though, load up in a CV.

You are so right, I used to enjoy the odd CV match but not since the rework and all the hate on CVs. I think CVs are great btw and I fear a good CV player :)

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,786 posts
13,811 battles

For me the worse part of play DD/CV is listen a BB player crying for "support" him.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 3

[-K-]
Members
7,298 posts
12,003 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Everyone suddenly thinks they are an expert, and all the experts want you to do different things at the same time.

I'll oblige to the request of a teammate in my CV if I find it to be in the best interests of the team and how the match is progressing.  If it's a blatant request for help that has no value (ie: to an overextended ship), it will be ignored or denied outright.

• Cool 1

[ROCT]
Members
34 posts
Just now, Ace_04 said:

I'll oblige to the request of a teammate in my CV if I find it to be in the best interests of the team and how the match is progressing.  If it's a blatant request for help that has no value (ie: to an overextended ship), it will be ignored or denied outright.

WHich is simply smart team play and exactly what you should do but I bet they cry to high heavens about it.

[CK5]
Members
1,149 posts
10,584 battles

And all these DD and CV haters feel free to give you a Karma down vote because you are not playing your ships correctly, :Smile_facepalm:.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,899 posts
3,206 battles

I had most of the enemy team and even some of my own calling me a coward last night for hiding behind an island most of the game in the Des Moines. I always had targets, little support, and overlooked a cap. My radar and DPM kept them from pushing that flank. If I had moved out, I would have died. Ironically after being called a [edited] by a red GK I had BBQed earlier I saw the opportunity to finish off a Kremlin. Charged him, AP to finish him, got the kill, but he got me. Didn’t matter, we had already won. Guess who was in the top 4 on the team? People always know how to play your ship better than you. Just ignore them and keep doing what you’re doing.

• Cool 3

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,622 posts
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Yeah if a DD wants a fighter dropped over them or they want help with a cruiser stalking them, sure, more than happy to help.  They might in turn, save me and plenty of players have helped me out.

12 people all playing lets control the CV via the chat box just get ignored though. 

Once in a while, I will start telling them how to play their ship and where they should be on the map.  What to shoot at and what ammo to load.  They sometimes understand.

[WHARF]
Members
182 posts
14,694 battles

The only time i say anyting....CVmove...too many sit in their spawn spot....enemy closing in....and they still sit there.....too many times players yell at someone ...because they cant see what the other playet is up too...they think there not doing anything...tunnel vision

[ROCT]
Members
34 posts

Love your signature AJTP89:

"Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you by experience"

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,677 posts
5,280 battles

I play mostly DDs nowadays, after some point you just stop registering people whining if you don't adhere to their advice; it just becomes background noise.

That said, there are few exceptions that actually try and provide you with good advice and info. Up to you to determine which is which.

[HELLS]
Members
2,347 posts
22,779 battles

Give me a downcheck for Karma. [edited]. I just play my game. If I div up, then you can complain in voice chat about my DD play. I don't div up often either....

[SALVO]
Members
22,901 posts
23,445 battles
55 minutes ago, Hulks said:

You are so right, I used to enjoy the odd CV match but not since the rework and all the hate on CVs. I think CVs are great btw and I fear a good CV player :)

Ahhh, but there are only even CVs since the rework!  :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 2

[WOLFG]
Members
24,707 posts
6,108 battles
41 minutes ago, dadeoo said:

The only time i say anyting....CVmove...too many sit in their spawn spot....enemy closing in....and they still sit there.....too many times players yell at someone ...because they cant see what the other playet is up too...they think there not doing anything...tunnel vision

Yup, always reminds me of a match in WoT.

Me in a Panther vs. a light tank circle jerking me, last tanks left.

I get lambasted by everyone on the team because I'm sitting there getting whittled away, and not hitting back.

Meanwhile, I'm busier than a one-armed drywaller, because I'm sitting there with major damage to every module from previous engagements, (not to mention pretty much permatracked) just trying to get a shot off, even though I can barely move.

Edited by Skpstr

[SALVO]
Members
22,901 posts
23,445 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

I get what you're saying, but there are a couple of things that seem incredibly dumb to do with a CV (the ship, I mean). 

• Hiding behind an island with your bow rammed into that island.  This prevents you from leaving this position quickly.  Better to at least hide with your side to the island so that you can make a run for it.  But with the bow smack up against the island, you have to spend time backing up and turning before you can start moving forward and running.  Better to be hiding with the ability to run on a moment's notice.
  • Just sitting still in open water.  IMO, it's always better to be moving, even if only at 1/4 speed.  Better to keep up some headway than none at all.  One thing I've noticed in my time playing CVs is that carrier players have a harder time hitting a moving ship than they do a stationary ship.  And also, if you're always moving at a minimum of 1/4 speed, if you need to kick it up to full speed to make a run for it, it takes less time to get up to full speed if you're already moving than if you're stationary.

[SALVO]
Members
22,901 posts
23,445 battles
35 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

About the only thing I'll say to a CV is run if a flank collapses.

Better to tell them to make a run for it before the flank has collapsed than after.  It's just good situational awareness.  If you wait too long, it may be too late.

[WOLFG]
Members
6,912 posts
4,942 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

Better to tell them to make a run for it before the flank has collapsed than after.  It's just good situational awareness.  If you wait too long, it may be too late.

Its mostly after I have started kiting and noticed the CV hasn't moved.

Members
1,252 posts
15,929 battles

As others have said I'll often tell a CV to start moving but other than that how someone plays their ship is up to them. The OP is correct though in that everyone seems to be able to drive my DDs better than I can... at least they think they can.

[SALVO]
Members
22,901 posts
23,445 battles
47 minutes ago, dadeoo said:

The only time I say anything.... CV move … too many sit in their spawn spot....enemy closing in....and they still sit there.....too many times players yell at someone … because they cant see what the other player is up too...they think there not doing anything...tunnel vision

I agree.  Too many CV players have no situational awareness regarding the risk to their ship.  They're just launching squadron after squadron with no regard for the enemy ships closing in on their position.   

Honestly, this is why I think that always trying to have your CV in motion, particularly for those who keep their CVs far to the rear, is the best thing to do.  For starters, it sort of requires you to have better situational awareness for your ship and gets you into thinking about where you should move your carrier to improve its safety.  Now, if one is a more "higher risk, higher reward" sort of CV player who will push his CV closer to the front and use terrain to hide, the decisions are a little different, but I also sort of expect that those players probably already have a good appreciation of situational awareness.

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

I had most of the enemy team and even some of my own calling me a coward last night for hiding behind an island most of the game in the Des Moines. I always had targets, little support, and overlooked a cap. My radar and DPM kept them from pushing that flank. If I had moved out, I would have died. Ironically after being called a [edited] by a red GK I had BBQed earlier I saw the opportunity to finish off a Kremlin. Charged him, AP to finish him, got the kill, but he got me. Didn’t matter, we had already won. Guess who was in the top 4 on the team? People always know how to play your ship better than you. Just ignore them and keep doing what you’re doing.

That ship is so fantastic for locking down a flank. People are afraid to get DPMd so rarely charge you.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,936 posts
13,835 battles

The worst is being a main.

Play everything. It greatly improves your understanding of the game and allows you to always counter the meta if you so choose.

Cheers.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
246 posts
6,340 battles
1 hour ago, Hulks said:

I usually don't have to deal with this too often thankfully, but I just unlocked the Kiev and MAN there are some folks that just don't understand that it ain't a DD, it's a cruiser :Smile_teethhappy: My detection range is almost 9km, ain't no way I'm going in ANY cap at the start of the match. I'll spot and harass the living hell out of everyone on the flank though! 

[SALVO]
Members
22,901 posts
23,445 battles
2 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

As others have said I'll often tell a CV to start moving but other than that how someone plays their ship is up to them. The OP is correct though in that everyone seems to be able to drive my DDs better than I can... at least they think they can.

The truth is that some of them probably are (i.e. some of those other players probably are better DD drivers than you).  The problem is that "some of them" isn't "all of them".  Just because some probably are better than you doesn't mean that all of them are.

I'm a pretty heavy DD player, and from what I see of other DD players, I think that a lot of them are pretty bad at it.  I am very, very often the last DD alive on my teams because I am much more cautious in my DD play.  IMO, far too many players of IJN DDs will open fire the instant they're spotted by an enemy DD, rather than thinking of how to most quickly escape back into stealth.   And as a consequence, they die quickly because quite often, they'll be in range of other enemy ships that can now see them because they started shooting and have made escape vastly more difficult.  

Yes, sometimes, you'll be in a situation where escape is almost impossible no matter how good your concealment is.  Maybe you're radared by a USN cruiser and you're WAY too far from any island to hide behind with too many enemies shooting at you.  And in that situation, firing back to get some damage is understandable.  But if you're in a situation where it's just one enemy DD detecting you, and you're on the edge of your concealment range, opening fire roughly doubles your concealment range making it far more difficult to escape back into stealth.  But far too many players seem to have this automatic response to return fire if they get detected and fired upon, rather than trying to think of ways to escape.  And the result is that these players die far too quickly and far too early in battles.

Having said all this, I don't bother ragging on these DD players in battle.  First, because I doubt that they'd listen to me.  But second, it's not that easy to explain in only a few words, other than perhaps "stop shooting, go dark, run away".  

Sign in to follow this