You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rokkator

Emerald is being buffed?!!??

20 comments in this topic

Members
60 posts
9,476 battles

I was reading through the patch notes for update 0.8.6, and in the section which discusses buffs and nerfs for individual ships, I found this little nugget:

British cruiser Emerald

• The armor thickness of the citadel deck has been increased from 25 to 40 mm.

By increasing the thickness of the deck armor, we’ve added more protection for the cruiser's citadel deck against penetrations by attack aircraft rockets, 203 mm HE shells, and no-ricochet penetrations by AP shells.

I know some people (@LittleWhiteMouse) who might be happy about this. Still, I don't know if this is a big enough buff to actually make Emerald better.
Will this actually help the ship, or will it just cause more BB overpens to penetrate and cause more damage?

I sure hope it helps Emerald, she has so much going for her (if you ignore the armor).

• Angry 1

Members
2,212 posts
12,362 battles

Well, given it's the deck, it's unlikely BB shells would hit at an angle conducive to penning, while some could overmatch before.  The big thing is that IFHE, German, and 203+ ships no longer get HE cits on the back deck.

[-K-]
Members
7,345 posts
12,032 battles
18 minutes ago, Rokkator said:

I was reading through the patch notes for update 0.8.6, and in the section which discusses buffs and nerfs for individual ships, I found this little nugget:

British cruiser Emerald

By increasing the thickness of the deck armor, we’ve added more protection for the cruiser's citadel deck against penetrations by attack aircraft rockets, 203 mm HE shells, and no-ricochet penetrations by AP shells.

I know some people (@LittleWhiteMouse) who might be happy about this. Still, I don't know if this is a big enough buff to actually make Emerald better.
Will this actually help the ship, or will it just cause more BB overpens to penetrate and cause more damage?

I sure hope it helps Emerald, she has so much going for her (if you ignore the armor).

It's basically a buff to help prevent HE citadel hits.  BBs will still absolutely eat it for lunch, regardless of angling.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,625 posts
7,000 battles

I'm going to miss citadeling Emeralds with Atlanta HE....but I can't say it's an underserved buff.

• Cool 1

Members
1,943 posts
6,144 battles

I think they should buff all Armour on all ships so no round can penetrate at all.

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[TROLO]
Members
200 posts
13,164 battles
26 minutes ago, RightYouAreKen said:

Good!  More E-Team please!

I sure hope everybody who participated got some sort of prize

[WOLF5]
Members
2,927 posts
3,227 battles
22 minutes ago, yashma said:

I'm going to miss citadeling Emeralds with Atlanta HE....but I can't say it's an underserved buff.

Yeah, that’s just hilarious. But feels so wrong. Still, I think there’s also a frenchy I can cut with Helena IFHE, so still fun times.

[OO7]
Members
5,788 posts
12,700 battles
1 hour ago, Rokkator said:

British cruiser Emerald

The citadel deck of the emerald is literally the main deck of the ship. Which means it's exposed and was always getting hit by long range he spam dropping onto it. If a BB was penetrating that deck with ap, it most likely was over penning out the other side of the ship. 

[SYN]
Members
8,134 posts
12,777 battles

The number of buffs Emerald has had... Just astonishingly badly balanced on release. 

Stealth, 1km more torp range, 13mm bow armor up from 10mm, 40mm deck up from 25mm... 

[INTEL]
Members
1,588 posts
13,461 battles
2 hours ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Well, given it's the deck, it's unlikely BB shells would hit at an angle conducive to penning, while some could overmatch before.  The big thing is that IFHE, German, and 203+ ships no longer get HE cits on the back deck.

Not exactly true. Yorck will still get HE cits. 1/4 pen +210mm guns. But its the only heavy cruisr in the MM range still able to do so.

Edited by Ares1967

[INTEL]
Members
2,553 posts
13,105 battles
2 hours ago, yashma said:

Yes, this saddens me.  I get so few moments of joy in this game.  The only other ship I get regular HE cits on are low tier CVs.  So, I've still got that going for me.

yes, this was sarcasm.  mostly

Members
1,412 posts
8,824 battles
42 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Not exactly true. Yorck will still get HE cits. 1/4 pen +210mm guns. But its the only heavy cruisr in the MM range still able to do so.

Graf Spee can too if you count that as a CA.  Still, this will help bring one of the absolute worst ships in the game a bit closer to par.

Members
1,243 posts
5,495 battles
56 minutes ago, mofton said:

The number of buffs Emerald has had... Just astonishingly badly balanced on release. 

Stealth, 1km more torp range, 13mm bow armor up from 10mm, 40mm deck up from 25mm... 

The ship should have just been made out of gunpowder.  :Smile_veryhappy:

Members
858 posts
10,992 battles

So they'll buff the armor, AGAIN, on the Emerald...…...

But once again ignore the 10mm bow and stern of the Omaha and Konigsberg?

Jackie-Chan-WTF-Meme.png

[INTEL]
Members
1,588 posts
13,461 battles
54 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

Graf Spee can too if you count that as a CA.  Still, this will help bring one of the absolute worst ships in the game a bit closer to par.

Good point and prob see 5-10 FS for every Yorck. Still rather be shot at by GS than Yorck though.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,862 posts
9,708 battles

The emerald was the only ship I ever got a dev strike, non det on with secondaries alone... I miss Nagato's 140mm ap rounds.

[H_]
Members
2,928 posts
13,379 battles

Oh thank GoD.......  It gets old watching this poor ship end up the brunt of every Citadel attempt or joke:.........that, always worked no matter where the shot came from....  In the Narai Scenario there is an internal competition to see who can detonate the first Emerald that shows up.......

I can't imagine grinding this ship.

[INTEL]
Members
11,372 posts
31,838 battles
6 hours ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Damn! No more free citadels! LOL.

Members
1,851 posts
16,126 battles

Might have to buy mine back - for me was the worst ship in the game - now may be just one of the worst ships in the game.....

• Funny 1