groundace

Thoughts on Nueve de Julio?

17 comments in this topic

Members
84 posts
5,954 battles

I've been wanting this ship for the better part of a year now, both because of it's heal and the camo (I absolutely love the look of the ship and her colors) and now it's half off. My question is for people who own Julio or Boise is she worthwhile for normal co-op/ operations. and since this would be my first pan american ship, would the ship be viable without IFHE until I can get some matches in and level the captain? I don't normally play light cruisers above teir v and the one that I do have is Kutuzov which is a tier higher so I'm generally unaware how bad it is to not have said skill.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,677 posts
5,280 battles

She's a star in Narai, and in Co-op. As long as you can aim at superstructure you shouldn't have too much trouble without IFHE if strictly in Operations.

Other than the next best thing is to have some Elite Commander XP to get some skills early on.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

No real reason to pick her over Boise, due to the lack of other pan-american ships.

However, she's a solid damage dealer, and her heal allows for someehat more aggressive play than might otherwise be possible.  

She'll get the job done without ifhe, but you'll still want to pick it up asap.

Members
84 posts
5,954 battles
2 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

No real reason to pick her over Boise, due to the lack of other pan-american ships.

However, she's a solid damage dealer, and her heal allows for someehat more aggressive play than might otherwise be possible.  

She'll get the job done without ifhe, but you'll still want to pick it up asap.

Should of clarified this but I'm interested in this ship as a one off, in this case having a good captain trainer doesn't interest me, it's the gameplay Boise and Julio offer. and I personally love Julio's camo way more than Boise which is why I'm leaning towards her.

[VOP]
Members
474 posts
8,225 battles

I haven't played her in any operations as yet but her dispersion is not that bad at mid to close range and she can set ships on fire quite well without DE as a skill.

I don't have IF/HE as yet either but she is a fun ship to play regardless. Good luck with your choice. :Smile_honoring: 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,087 posts
9,812 battles
57 minutes ago, groundace said:

I'm interested in this ship as a one off, in this case having a good captain trainer doesn't interest me, it's the gameplay Boise and Julio offer.

In that case go nuts, but remember that the corollary of not being a captain trainer is having to spend ECXP if you have it or grind the captain from the bottom if you don't. 

Bear in mind that since she has a heal, you might be interested in considering Superintendent as your first three-point skill, to get an extra charge.

Members
1,849 posts
16,052 battles

Have both, but I can drop a 19-point IFHE captain in my Boise.  Have a 10 point in my Julio, but I rarely take her out.  She is a decent damage/fire starter, but is a one off.  If you want her, she is a good ship, but Boise is in a developed tech tree and much more usable without the heavy investment a stand alone ship takes ( I have a Bly and has taken years to get a 17 point captain in her that is sorta trapped at this time until the line is developed).

[WOLFC]
Members
116 posts
9,350 battles

Love this ship, but as with others I have a higher point captain in the Boise. Fifteen 152mm rifles plus the heal (which Helena lacks) makes this a great dd and transport killer in ops.

[DBRIS]
Members
258 posts
7,715 battles

It's a great ship, but a dead end for the time being. I have mine ground up to 15pts. The heal is nice, IFHE is pretty much mandatory. 

[WOLF3]
Members
22,400 posts
20,518 battles

She's pretty good in both Operations and Co-op.  The Repair Party is very useful in lasting longer where many other Tier VII Cruisers lack this consumable.  You can happily trade blows with other Cruisers and Destroyers knowing you got Repair Party to get a bunch of your HP back.  You also share the 152mm x15 firepower of Helena, but you lack Helena's range as the price you pay for Repair Party (and slower reloading guns compared to Helena).

There's 2 real issues with the ship however, one of which is if you PVP or not.

1.  The armor is still typical for Cruisers and Battleships can and will smash you if given the chance.  Don't go in thinking you got Conqueror's Super Heal, because it won't save you from big BB Citadel eating salvos.

2.  The main battery range is abysmal.  This isn't a problem in Co-op where the bots are rushing you, nor the highly predictive nature of Operations.  If you PVP however, the short gun range can be a big problem, especially when you're facing Tier VIII-IX threats.  Some Battleships in Tier VIII-IX that NdJ will encounter can have Secondaries almost reaching your main battery range.  13.56km max gun range?  LOL that's Free Hits for a Tier VIII-IX Battleship!  A number of those BBs already regularly hit targets in Tier X games at 15km, 16km, 17km, so some dinky little Tier VII Cruiser at 13.56km is nothing but net for them.

If you're strictly PVE, NdJ / Boise have a lot of ++, especially Boise because you can cycle that captain with Helena & Boise through Operation Narai with very similar ships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF3]
Members
1,747 posts
6,592 battles

Boise is an absolute stud in ops!  She is pretty strong in co-op as well.  Good guns with American Piercing shells and a zombie heal.  Quite the trooper.  :cap_like:

I do not regret a single moment with her.  If you can get her or her sister/clone on sale, then all the better.  :Smile_great:

I have extensive experience with Boise in co-op.  After all, I had to earn 300,000 experience to get Nueve de Julio for free.  She remains my most played ship.

Edited by Captain_Slattery

[ARGSY]
Members
15,087 posts
9,812 battles

I considered it, right up to LITERALLY the last minute this morning.

However, the lack of other Pan-American ships at the moment and the lack of even the vaguest schedule for more dissuaded me, especially since the 50% ships don't come with a 10 pointer.  Even the Blys is eventually (soonish?) going to be able to exchange/share captains with the Friesland when Pan-Europe appears.

I would sooner have bought one of the Italian cruisers if they had been on single-ship specials. At least they have something approaching a broader purpose now.

[PVE]
Members
18,316 posts
11,313 battles

I got Nueve de Julio when the mission for getting Boise was offered. I started with a 10pt cmdr, but IFHE was not mandatory in co-op. You will want to make IFHE the 14th pt tho.

Edited by Kizarvexis
Spelling

Members
104 posts
2,322 battles

I know this thread is a bit dated but I wanted to say this ship is surprisingly interesting to play. The heal makes or breaks this ship and usually I go through one of those before I get my bearings. It can do some solid damage and I just love firing all five turrets at bbs at range. It doesn't get citadel as much as you would thing though I would make use of kiting and watching what ships can hit you and how. I didn't buy her outright but rather one of the random bundles which also earned me the Lazo. As it stands out of the two the NDJ is more fun to play. Since I am still relatively new the heal is rather forgiving despite the armor. Just try to avoid citadels since from what I read there is a limit to how much vital damage a heal can manage. Oh, by the way, the heal is FAST got back like 6-8k in like 8 seconds (though I may have had a corresponding signal mounted). At this point I am rather pleased I happened to get a hold of it, though it wasn't my intention.