You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Countershot

Yoshino or Georgia or Jean Bart

34 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
22,444 posts
20,530 battles

I think Yoshino is a valid ship to be used in Tier X as what she is all about is pretty much what Tier X combat is:  Long Ranged Combat.

However, IMO it's not a ship I'd generally recommend to anyone not used to ships where you actually have to protect the citadel.  Even Battleships have been increasingly spoiled with all these waterline Citadels compared to when the game was newer.  Without knowing much of anyone's playing background, I'd tell them Georgia or Jean Bart as either are much, much, much, much, much more forgiving than Yoshino.

Members
798 posts
4,540 battles

Bart is the most fun of the 3. Georgia is good, just not enough guns and cant compete with the hilarity that is MBRB on JB. Yoshino is too squishy and no utility. 

Edited by ksix

[WOLF3]
Members
1,747 posts
6,592 battles

For me it comes down to either Georgia or Jean Bart.  JB has been in the Armory longer so should be the first to leave.  I would choose Jean Bart.

I have both JB and Georgia.  JB is very user friendly.  She can do some damage.

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,447 posts
13,415 battles

Just look up at your stats, you play most cruiser/bb with above average scored. Most of the time t8 and below. The most i can see are USN bb where you got the Montana, then t9 Musashi, but still very little battles. From those stats, it would be better for you to hold on to those coal and practice more battle with t8 that you have right now.

Those premium ship that you mention are well above your base skills level due to:

t9 - mostly play in t10

player at these tier are VERY WELL skilled, they can HURT you from across the map

very little mistake allowed OR you will pay severely

you need more battle experiences

you advances too quick, you need to slow down

Your coal is still with you, they not going any where, you need to practice more before you want to get to high tier

If you hold on and take the advantage of the discount voucher given every 6 months, you can get 2 ships if you time it right

you get more coal for 2 ships

Along your journey, you will figured out which ship play style suit you, without even asking us

regards,

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
22,444 posts
20,530 battles
6 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

Just look up at your stats, you play most cruiser/bb with above average scored. Most of the time t8 and below. The most i can see are USN bb where you got the Montana, then t9 Musashi, but still very little battles. From those stats, it would be better for you to hold on to those coal and practice more battle with t8 that you have right now.

Those premium ship that you mention are well above your base skills level due to:

t9 - mostly play in t10

player at these tier are VERY WELL skilled, they can HURT you from across the map

very little mistake allowed OR you will pay severely

you need more battle experiences

you advances too quick, you need to slow down

Your coal is still with you, they not going any where, you need to practice more before you want to get to high tier

If you hold on and take the advantage of the discount voucher given every 6 months, you can get 2 ships if you time it right

you get more coal for 2 ships

Along your journey, you will figured out which ship play style suit you, without even asking us

regards,

Tier X is unforgiving.  Early on in Zoup's recent video you see a Worcester make a mistake and get deleted at 19km.

2 minutes and 40 seconds into a game, a Cruiser player makes a mistake and gets deleted from a long range 19.4km BB AP salvo.  First Blood + Dev Strike right away for Zoup's Montana, -1 dangerous HE DPM ship for the reds to start the game.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,447 posts
13,415 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

from a long range 19.4km BB AP salvo

i sniped a Montana from 22km with 3 citadels while playing Slava

i sniped Yamato from 20 km with 1 citadel in Slava

I GOT deleted in my Hindy from a player bb i knew that he was across the map in 1 salvo

I GOT deleted in my Hindy from a salvo that i dont even know where it coming from

I learned my lesson and mini map is my best friend

[SPTR]
Members
26,874 posts
14,310 battles

I recommend JB or Georgia, personally for you Op, based on Kenobi's analysis of your skills if you are forced to pick 1 I'll be leaning to the Georgia for ya.

Agree with Kenobi on how unforgiving tier X matches can be too. my Henri got deleted at 14.3km by Yuro's(famous for those "How to" videos) Republique at one time.

Screen_Shot_2019-02-23_at_11.34.34_PM.pn

[EIC]
Members
7 posts
6,620 battles

Another perspective to consider: 

Do you like your premiums to support the tech trees you currently like/grind?  -> Georgia

Or do you like to have premiums in tech trees you *dislike*/do rarely play, but want to have a ship in just in case for divs, events etc.?  -> Yoshino

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
22,444 posts
20,530 battles
1 hour ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

i sniped a Montana from 22km with 3 citadels while playing Slava

i sniped Yamato from 20 km with 1 citadel in Slava

I GOT deleted in my Hindy from a player bb i knew that he was across the map in 1 salvo

I GOT deleted in my Hindy from a salvo that i dont even know where it coming from

I learned my lesson and mini map is my best friend

Yeah, I still remember from last summer playing Hindenburg and a Montana player early on nailed me from about 22km.  I got spotted and I got sloppy in my sailing, i.e. I wasn't shifting speed and course despite getting spotted and with 1-2 on the Priority Target counter.

I didn't die from the attack, but I went from Full HP Hindenburg to just over 1/4 of my life, and the match just got started.  I can't remember if we won or lost, but even with Repair Party, I barely got anything back because it was almost all Citadel damage.  Since my HP was so low early in the match, it really held me back in how aggressive I wanted to play.  I messed up, made myself an easy target, and even in High Tier, there are BBs that will nail you from that far out.  Dude fired over some nicely sized islands and arced those shells to nail me from far away.  That's a good hit on me.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KRAK]
Members
3,452 posts
19,278 battles
1 hour ago, Countershot said:

have enough coal for 1 of the 3 listed ships.  Wondering which one should I get. 

Go with JB. Georgia's gun range is very small forcing you to get in closer and is much easier deleted than JB. JB is a solid ship and has good secondary guns and its main guns are highly accurate plus it is easy to bow tank with it as all its guns are on the bow. 

[--V--]
Members
1,042 posts
12,240 battles

I have Georgia.  I've had some good, fun games in her, but she's very situational.  She can't storm a cap by herself due to her week broadsides.   So you have to play smart.  Due to only having 6 guns,  sniping isn't recommended either.  Need to be comfortable at the mid range - 8-12km for me.    Use island cover when you can due to weak broadsides.   Her secondaries are beast mode, but don't go charging in close just cause she has them.

I'd love JB cause I hear great things about her.  But I suck at forward mounted BBs like Dunkirk and Richelieu.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,156 posts
9,917 battles

@Apisaltans has it right. Consider how your purchase fits in with the rest of your fleet. Do you have a relatively high point captain that can go in her to increase her combat effectiveness or is she an odd duck, the only ship you have of that nation, requiring much effort for a reasonably skilled captain? If you get Georgia or Yoshino and need an insta-commander, it's still possible to buy a 10 point captain from the Rogue Wave event (4 million credits) if you don't mind the looks. If you got the JB and had no French captains for her, that would be a more difficult matter - spend coal as you get it, finish the French collection in the Armory, get Jean-Jacques Honore.

Bear in mind that Yoshino can be extremely fragile. I took one on in my Salem in co-op and blew it out of the water in three salvoes; I've had a harder time killing Zaos. American 8-inch super-heavy will cut that thing apart at close range. You're supposed to play her at a distance, sure, but the ebb and flow of battle sometimes demands other things of you and this could put you in a nasty situation. You have been warned.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,086 posts

Interested in any of the other current/coming French ships? Add a plus one to JB. Otherwise... it may be a tough call between the two bbs... but I'd take the JB (already have her). Her speed boost and MBRB are big pluses... she can also do alright with AA(A). 

[U571]
Members
2,029 posts
13,953 battles

JB is the most forgiving as you are staying Bow on.  And for a T9 that will see T10 a lot, I would go there.  And I do have the JB.  Georgia is probably next (I do not have it).  Yoshino, unless you are comfortable in a giant floating citadel, like the IJN line is known to be.  I have it, but you stay at range and your torps are for keeping people chasing you at range.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,873 posts
32,109 battles
4 hours ago, ksix said:

Bart is the most fun of the 3. Georgia is good, just not enough guns and cant compete with the hilarity that is MBRB on JB. Yoshino is too squishy and no utility. 

I got Jean Bart a while ago. She is fast.  Forward firing guns work for me. The reload booster is stupid but hilarious for punishing mistakes. Secondaries light enemies on fire. My first choice by far. 

I recently got Georgia but still don’t “get” how to play her well. I have a greater tendency to drive into stupid positions and get focused to a quick death. Only 6 rifles drives me nuts when 2 of them are in the X turret. The accuracy is very nice. Hitting a DD with multiple shells at 15 km makes my day. But she has oily rags all over her decks and your broadside gets punished by everything. 

To me, Yoshino has zero appeal. Want Arsonist medals?  Get Zao or Henri. Want AP, get Alaska. Want squishy damage farming cruiser dependent on team for wins, get Yoshino. (last part is personal opinion and YMMV)

4 hours ago, Apisaltans said:

Another perspective to consider: 

Do you like your premiums to support the tech trees you currently like/grind?  -> Georgia

Or do you like to have premiums in tech trees you *dislike*/do rarely play, but want to have a ship in just in case for divs, events etc.?  -> Yoshino

Georgia excels with your Masshole captain. Different from other USN BB builds. SECONDARIES

Oh, another point about Georgia. Massachusetts fills a similar niche at less cost, 1 Tier lower, and arguably does a better job for its Tier. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[WORX]
Members
6,485 posts
16,189 battles
5 hours ago, Countershot said:

have enough coal for 1 of the 3 listed ships.  Wondering which one should I get. 

Mindless secondary BB Build ships are getting a good BUFF... IF you like seconday build BBs then I say wait until the patch notes with the list of ships getting buffed.

If the Georgia is getting the BUFF then by all means get it.

If you like BB play, just get the JB...

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,570 posts
23,564 battles
4 hours ago, _greifer said:

Jean Bart, hands down. 

Solid all around. 

This. Especially if OP likes to play cruisers. You can drop your French cruiser and BB captain in her to retrain. Most fun boat of the three. And by a good chance the next ship (together with the Salem) that get removed from the arsenal.

I don't have the Georgia, not worth the coal IMO. There are already good USN premium BB out there. Also: in some time in the future there will be the Ohio if you want to regrind the USN BB tree.

I bought the Yoshino because I wanted another IJN premium cruiser. Like mouse said, she is meh. You can punish the enemy at any range but a wrong move can get you deleted.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,821 posts
3,793 battles

In terms of Georgia vs Jean, it's your choice of gimmicks. Georgia is the fastest BB in tha game, has larger guns, better accuracy, and the quicker heal. Jean has the MBRB consumable, frontal armament, and is a far better captain trainer than Georgia. Both feature speed boost consumable and respectable secondaries. 

Personally, I would probably take Jean unless you somehow have Bourgogne. The MBRB on BBs is just so fun and punishing to use. However. Georgia is still incredibly fun. 

[TNG-2]
Members
2,046 posts
4,331 battles
2 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

This. Especially if OP likes to play cruisers. You can drop your French cruiser and BB captain in her to retrain. Most fun boat of the three. And by a good chance the next ship (together with the Salem) that get removed from the arsenal.

I don't have the Georgia, not worth the coal IMO. There are already good USN premium BB out there. Also: in some time in the future there will be the Ohio if you want to regrind the USN BB tree.

I bought the Yoshino because I wanted another IJN premium cruiser. Like mouse said, she is meh. You can punish the enemy at any range but a wrong move can get you deleted.

Smack the extended spotter plane on her. 2minutes of 25km shooting is good against those bow in kremil and yammies.

i have gotten 10k HE hits from plunging fire onto their decks that can be pen with IFHE

Edited by Legio_X_

[H_]
Members
2,907 posts
13,352 battles
5 hours ago, Countershot said:

I'm in the same position you are:  have the coal but...........

I'm a potato that has the entire IJN line to 10 less carriers.  So, the Yoshino was tempting; but,........common sense got in the way.  Why?  Like you, a lot of what I play centers around tier 8.  And, I've given up Randoms during the day for the most part and play COOP and Scenarios.  Our clan plays randoms most nights and we start at tier 6 and only progress up if we win.  We rarely get to tier 10.

My advice:  save your coal.  I'm saving mine for another coal ship that fits "what I need...."  And, that really isn't at tier 9 or 10.   If I had to make a choice, the Jean Bart.........  It's a good ship and has a lot of "average player" value.

Edited by Asym_KS

[VETSN]
Members
953 posts

I have all 3 so I’ll chime in, if you like fast BB/CA play with the option of decent secondaries go for Georgia first.  I wouldn’t recommend a full secondary build on her though, but it’s a very fun ship with USN Super heal and fast enough to get her out of trouble.  JB is a strong second, but she is very situational.  You have to know positioning and be very aware of what’s around you to make her work.  She can bow take well, but at tier 10 cannot stand long against Russian Bias and HE spammers.  JB has ok secondaries, but not good enough for a full build.  Yoshino last, while she’s strong, has great HE, and great range, her armor at tier 10 is her biggest downfall.  She can’t take most BB’s on head to head, and has a super high skill ceiling.  

Edited by BarneyStyle