MannyD_of_The_Sea

Sold the Fuel Tokens for...Credits

35 comments in this topic

[A-I-M]
Members
2,218 posts
11,364 battles

Yeah, I did that.

I had 404 tokens after Rogue Wave fuel token earning was all done. I wasn’t going to shell out $100 to get the other half of the Benham, and I wasn’t moved by the post-crapocalyptic camos.

And I was slightly less than 9M credits away from my self-imposed balance minimum for T9-T10 ship purchases, and 400 tokens bought exactly 9M credits. I had unlocked Zao a few hours before, and the 9M deficit was standing between me and my Zao.

Related but aside, is it just my perception, or were there fewer token spending options with this event, compared to previous events?

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[-RNG-]
Members
239 posts
11,772 battles

And we care why? 

• Funny 1
  • Boring 8
  • Angry 5

[KAPPA]
Members
2,109 posts
6,989 battles

The options were downright anemic, but that's to be expected when there's a free Hill elsewhere at the same time. Honestly, I feel that the commanders should have had a token option.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
3,497 posts
11,944 battles

I paid 5k dubs to get my last 75 tokens :Smile_sceptic:

F E E L S B A D M A N

E

L

S

B

A

D

M

A

N

[CIAO]
Members
123 posts
14,456 battles

I bought 7 containers and paid $ for the Hill just to hedge my bets so to speak.  Turns out I woulda got it anyways.  After Benham I spent the rest of my tokens on credits.

The premium time is useless to me, I'm running a 300-odd day surplus as it is.  The camo is meh, no complaints but I hardly need another meh camo.  So the remaining option was credits.

But you're right, this event really didn't have a lot of options.  Agree with the above on the option to buy commanders woulda been cool.  Personally i would have liked to see some basic signals as options.

[HRVAT]
Members
1,233 posts
9,535 battles

I pass on both Hill and Benham. I just do not have the time they demand

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
5,446 posts
12,704 battles
37 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I had 404 tokens...

Now your 404 tokens not found.

ba-dum tiss

:Smile_hiding:

• Funny 6

[WOLF8]
Members
5,644 posts
5,345 battles

I ended up with 140 tokens, and I didn't even participate in the event, including the USS Hill missions... on top of barely playing this game these days. So how the heck did I end up with even that many tokens? LOL. :Smile_amazed:

Anyhow, just like OP, I traded them in for the credits... because, free credits? LEL. :fish_book:

Edited by Blorgh2017

[_EASY]
Members
265 posts
10,576 battles

Got both the Hill and the Benham thru the grind with 3 fuel left over. While it took awhile it was worth it.  The Hill does fine at T5 and the Benham is a great bote for Co-op....

[KNMSU]
Members
6,820 posts
7,440 battles

I'll do you one better: I have no idea how many tokens I have, and won't use any of them. This event is dumb, and I am not going to validate by participating on any level.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 5
  • Angry 1

[_EASY]
Members
265 posts
10,576 battles
1 hour ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I'll do you one better: I have no idea how many tokens I have, and won't use any of them. This event is dumb, and I am not going to validate by participating on any level.

Then any tokens you do have will be converted to credits when they close the Rogue Wave event items in the Armory.

If you played WOW during the event you participated....

Edited by MWSVette1

[VW]
Members
3,212 posts
16,263 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Yeah, I did that.

I had 404 tokens after Rogue Wave fuel token earning was all done. I wasn’t going to shell out $100 to get the other half of the Benham, and I wasn’t moved by the post-crapocalyptic camos.

And I was slightly less than 9M credits away from my self-imposed balance minimum for T9-T10 ship purchases, and 400 tokens bought exactly 9M credits. I had unlocked Zao a few hours before, and the 9M deficit was standing between me and my Zao.

Related but aside, is it just my perception, or were there fewer token spending options with this event, compared to previous events?

9 days of prem time, you would easily have made more credits 

[-K-]
Members
882 posts
9,511 battles

Congrats on earning your zao. The other options weren't great but I think WG thought most would go for the Benham.

Good to see that you earned something that you could use though. 

Members
3,936 posts
4,205 battles

Yeah the options were pretty odd. Captains felt more like a money sink than rewards. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,592 posts
10,804 battles

I like the commanders only in terms of "I have excess credits and may need a 10 point commander or two".

I didn't play enough of the rogue wave game mode likely to get the tokens for Benham cause frankly I hated it. I like larger team battles as it is - this crap of 'only use torps, guns are done by the game' is getting on my nerves. I'm barely fine with it on Submarines, and I can only think of two remotely good reasons why they would even be testing this, the first being further testing for the system on subs, in which they should just bring us more events with them, or testing the dreaded hybrid ships as those would need AI main batteries. There is a third option which is akin to doing to DD's what they did with CV's in the rework and stripping them down to a single weapon essentially.

So what tokens I have - I know I'm saving for if/when I need a couple days premium between now and the August use date. However this event continues to add to my frustration with Wargaming's events the last couple years trending to require more work than ships should to obtain trying to force people to buy them or just making it large discounts. Yeah, we get Hill for free - feels and plays like "What if we actually made A hull Nicholas good"? which is fine, I like Nicholas and only sold it cause I needed the slot. But having not been in to the other battles - had to grind out 60-80k free xp, which was only because I had stored what few flags and camo's I had to boost it dramatically during 200% week and another 60k base xp - or put another way enough xp to basically go from Erie to Mahan, at tier 7, to earn a tier 5, plus the other missions. Call me old fashioned, but I shouldn't need to grind XP equal to more than the tier of the reward ship, just like free xp ships should not cost more than it basically would to research the ships of the same tier basically with free xp (the previous 750000 price of tier 9 ships was equal to trying to jump up the tech tree to tier 9, the new 1 mil price tag is roughly equal to tier 10, so you need the equivalent of a tier 10 amount of free xp to get a tier 9 now). Because clearly, everyone has immediate access to large quantities of massive xp boosting flags and camo's and disposable income to convert the convertible xp we are forced to accrue instead of the tanks/warplane method where instead we can use it to boost captain/crew xp gain - except the part where we don't and they went back on these ships being up forever for free xp. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,108 posts
9,874 battles
5 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

were there fewer token spending options with this event, compared to previous events?

There were, but this was mostly because of Wargaming's very interesting move of offering the event commanders for credits instead. I think this was worth a try, and I'd like to see them do it again sometime when my credit situation is significantly improved. :Smile_teethhappy:  

No doubt those who hopped into Savage Battles early and pounded out those credit missions were in a much better position in that regard.

It might have been nice to offer them for either credits OR tokens, for those who don't have much of the former and too many of the latter, but there you go. It is what it is.

I have no objection to the camos - I look at function over form - and I had 610 tokens to spend. I'm good for a while. :Smile_trollface:

[O_O]
Members
5,698 posts
13,040 battles
13 hours ago, Botcha said:

And we care why? 

This is a video game forum where people talk about World of Warships.  He is talking about World of Warships.  Do you post negativity in EVERY thread that doesn't interest you?

8 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

I didn't play enough of the rogue wave game mode likely to get the tokens for Benham cause frankly I hated it.

This seems to be a common misconception by people who didn't actively participate in the event.  Playing the Savage Battles was -not- a requirement to earn Hill or Benham (*edit - I forgot about the missions requiring credits earned in Savage Battles).  For Hill, there were enough directives for regular modes.  I think Savage Battles were pretty fun for a while, and they may have been easier directives to complete.  Avoiding Savage Battles would probably have required players to complete CV, BB, DD, and CA directives, but it could be done.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[2347]
Members
391 posts
7,992 battles

Any grinding I did for the Hill/Benham was largely incidental to my normal play. I just don’t have the time or interest to sit at my computer and play more than 3 or 4 battles at a time. I enjoy playing the game, but it gets too repetitive for me after an hour or two and I marvel at some of these streamers on Twitch that can go for 8 hours at a stretch. That job sounds fun on paper, but I don’t think I’d enjoy it for long.

Anyway, I still ended up with 300 fuel tokens and wasn’t about to buy any crates, so I spent them on the camo. I have a few hundred million doubloons and the bonuses are decent, even if the aesthetics are a bit underwhelming. Why the event commanders weren’t offered for tokens seems an oversight to me, but maybe WG realized the margin for earning the Benham would be tight for a lot of players and wanted to give them a break. I ended up buying Z-52 and YY captains just because I’m still working my way up those lines and at least I now have 10pt commanders specialized for the tier ten ships, rather than the usual tier ones they offer.

[WOLFG]
Members
6,937 posts
4,987 battles

They were pretty sparse.  And while I liked the captains for credits options, it doesn't change the fact that the options for fuel tokens are limited.

I will probably get the premium time and credits.

[HINON]
Members
3,173 posts
23,309 battles

And there I was the other night wondering who would bother invest tokens in credits... there you go. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,108 posts
9,874 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

Playing the Savage Battles was -not- a requirement to earn Hill or Benham. 

IIRC it was a requirement to get the Benham for free. You needed those extra tokens to break the 800 threshold without buying crates.

Of course if you were buying the crates for the other stuff in them then that's another matter, but it wasn't like that for everyone.

26 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

And while I liked the captains for credits options, it doesn't change the fact that the options for fuel tokens are limited.

Not gonna lie, I also wish I'd had more to spend the tokens on.

[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,017 battles
29 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Not gonna lie, I also wish I'd had more to spend the tokens on.

Yeah I found this odd as well but just thinking about it, maybe the plan was to offer hardly anything in order to push players into buying crates to get the "big prize" since there were no other attractive options.  Personally going to let them convert when the tokens get removed as I really just don't care to participate in their event one bit. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,108 posts
9,874 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah I found this odd as well but just thinking about it, maybe the plan was to offer hardly anything in order to push players into buying crates to get the "big prize" since there were no other attractive options.  Personally going to let them convert when the tokens get removed as I really just don't care to participate in their event one bit. 

One can argue the other way as well. In the first of the Russian arcs, I saw too many things worth spending tokens on and had not enough tokens to spend on all of them. One can accuse them of going a little too far the other way this time around, but I'm not personally inclined to go any further than that.