You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
EmojiSupreme

REEEEing into the void

50 comments in this topic

[AR]
Members
108 posts
2,365 battles

So, I need a break from WoWs.

I logged on this morning, after closing down yesterday with 47/48 daily missions thinking to myself that I would have THROUGH 7/22 to complete my daily grind for Benham, actually pretty excited. Considering I've been off work because of an injury its been nice to play lots of WoWs and have something to work towards. Logged on this morning to find out that I had misunderstood, and realized that I would've had to to make both daily rewards every day for 24 days straight to get the final boost of fuel. In a perfect world, Six 15 minute games a day where I both won every game AND got enough exp to hit the marks, thats still 1.5 hours a day, and this is far from a perfect world. 2-3 hours a day of game time expected for 24 days straight for a mediocre single ship reward. 

I love this game. I've spent my gaming budget on this game exclusively for awhile now, but honestly, this really took the wind out of my sails. Im not making this post to blame WG because I misunderstood. Im not trying to point a finger or lay the blame somewhere else. I get that this was my fault. Im making this post because Im simply frustrated and have nowhere else to vent specifically about WoWs.

I, and Im sure many of you, need a break from this game for awhile. The grinds are becoming worse with more mediocre rewards. The "events" are simply spend hundreds of dollars in crates for free stuff now or literally sacrifice all of your free time for the next month and MAYBE IF YOU'RE REALLY DEDICATED you'll get one average ship.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want to stop playing. I am being forced to stop playing because I realize that this type of situation is bad for me. Being expected to put yourself through punishing grinds with no wiggle room or fork over large sums of cash for very mild rewards with ever-moving goalposts, not to even mention the public trial phase of the new CVs since the beginning of the year AKA the CV rework and the horrendous ideas being espoused for the initial NTC.

It feels more and more like WG is trying to extract as much as they can out of their remaining player base rather than trying to create engaging content that can increase the amount of fun people are having and make them want to stick around.

Again, I dont want to quit playing. I really love playing this game, but currently it is not good for me. It feels more like work than fun. Why would anyone play a game that feels like work? I really hope that someone at WG is bringing these kinds of posts to their attention and explaining to them that people will play longer, spend more money, be more engaged, and keep their game alive for a lot longer if they are having fun, and if they arent, they will start leaving in droves.

This isnt an "I quit" post, not yet. I just need a break

Feel free to make fun of me, or laugh, or tell me why Im stupid. I can take it. Also, feel free to add in if you feel similarly and why. If you read this far, thanks for listening. Good luck and fair seas, fellas

• Cool 10

[EQRN]
Members
1,617 posts
13,553 battles

Always been like that, end dates are virtually exclusive of the end date itself (technically you have like til 2-3 am of the end date).  Been discussed many many times.

• Boring 1

Members
2,897 posts
10,717 battles
7 minutes ago, EmojiSupreme said:

I just need a break

This is what I do. 

[INTEL]
Members
11,372 posts
31,838 battles

take that break.

I've pretty much stopped grinding all that stuff. I ignored the Rogue Wave events.  much peace of mind

• Cool 5

[TWFT]
Members
1,143 posts
33,480 battles

Good post, and your feelings are in line with a lot of the player base. 

I stopped spending money on the game since the CV RW and have still had a good time playing for free.  I gave a half hearted effort for the Benham and am short of spending $40 on crates to finish out the fuel requirements, but I WILL NOT bite the WR hook this time.

I have been squeezed enough and am looking to other places to spend my internet budget.

p.s. I am going to spend $15 on a WG product in thanks to the tech department that helped me with a computer issue.

[PQUOD]
Members
3,085 posts
11,714 battles

I feel your pain. I thought I had all day 7-22. Nope, just late 7-21. So I was two missions, 59 fuel tokens short. I was like GAH! I miscalculated and thought I would have to buy it outright which was going to be a pass. I checked and between the remaining fuel tokens I needed and gold I had sitting in my account. Was able to spend $6 to get the rest of the fuel tokens in loot boxes. If you choose to wait, maybe the Benham will become available for coal in the Armory in the not so distant future. 

[TARK]
Members
4,228 posts
1,630 battles
1 hour ago, EmojiSupreme said:

I logged on this morning, after closing down yesterday with 47/48 daily missions thinking to myself that I would have THROUGH 7/22 to complete my daily grind for Benham, actually pretty excited. Considering I've been off work because of an injury its been nice to play lots of WoWs and have something to work towards. Logged on this morning to find out that I had misunderstood, and realized that I would've had to to make both daily rewards every day for 24 days straight to get the final boost of fuel. In a perfect world, Six 15 minute games a day where I both won every game AND got enough exp to hit the marks, thats still 1.5 hours a day, and this is far from a perfect world. 2-3 hours a day of game time expected for 24 days straight for a mediocre single ship reward. 

I love this game. I've spent my gaming budget on this game exclusively for awhile now, but honestly, this really took the wind out of my sails. Im not making this post to blame WG because I misunderstood. Im not trying to point a finger or lay the blame somewhere else. I get that this was my fault. Im making this post because Im simply frustrated and have nowhere else to vent specifically about WoWs.

I, and Im sure many of you, need a break from this game for awhile. The grinds are becoming worse with more mediocre rewards. The "events" are simply spend hundreds of dollars in crates for free stuff now or literally sacrifice all of your free time for the next month and MAYBE IF YOU'RE REALLY DEDICATED you'll get one average ship.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want to stop playing. I am being forced to stop playing because I realize that this type of situation is bad for me. Being expected to put yourself through punishing grinds with no wiggle room or fork over large sums of cash for very mild rewards with ever-moving goalposts, not to even mention the public trial phase of the new CVs since the beginning of the year AKA the CV rework and the horrendous ideas being espoused for the initial NTC.

It feels more and more like WG is trying to extract as much as they can out of their remaining player base rather than trying to create engaging content that can increase the amount of fun people are having and make them want to stick around.

Again, I dont want to quit playing. I really love playing this game, but currently it is not good for me. It feels more like work than fun. Why would anyone play a game that feels like work? I really hope that someone at WG is bringing these kinds of posts to their attention and explaining to them that people will play longer, spend more money, be more engaged, and keep their game alive for a lot longer if they are having fun, and if they arent, they will start leaving in droves.

This isnt an "I quit" post, not yet. I just need a break

Feel free to make fun of me, or laugh, or tell me why Im stupid. I can take it. Also, feel free to add in if you feel similarly and why. If you read this far, thanks for listening. Good luck and fair seas, fellas

Don't feel bad.

You have reached the first step...admitting the truth of the relationship.

Take your break. After all, that's really the only message WG listens to.

The 'free' ships are not 'free'...they are usually an insane grind, and are work. If you aren't wanting to put in the work...don't go after those ships.

You are not insane for judging the ship too expensive in time to be worth the effort.

The second step is to actually consider the type of business relationship WG wants with you. Do they see you as a partner in their game? Or are you just a naive mark to be exploited?

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark
  • Cool 3

[AR]
Members
108 posts
2,365 battles
1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Don't feel bad.

You have reached the first step...admitting the truth of the relationship.

Take your break. After all, that's really the only message WG listens to.

The 'free' ships are not 'free'...they are usually an insane grind, and are work. If you aren't wanting to put in the work...don't go after those ships.

You are not insane for judging the ship too expensive in time to be worth the effort.

The second step is to actually consider the type of business relationship WG wants with you. Do they see you as a partner in their game? Or are you just a naive mark to be exploited?

If I put the amount of time required for the daily missions grind into terms according to what I currently make per hour at my job, that'd be over $100 per day for 24 days straight without missing a beat. That math doesnt pan out for me.

In any well run game, most of these types of rewards can be completed by casual players just playing the game at a normal pace or maybe just a slight bit more than usual. WG is opting for the "pay several hundred dollars or spend literally dozens of hours a week in game" strategy which favors only whales and hardcore players.

Whales and hardcore players dont make up the majority of your playerbase.

Making almost all rewards untouchable except by a small percentage of your playerbase is a surefire way to alienate the vast majority of your players, i.e. the casuals, and without the casuals this game dies.  I dont want that, but whoever is handling the economics at WG is really screwing the pooch. 

[RKLES]
Members
237 posts
12,445 battles

Expecting a free ride from WG is unreasonable. If you really want something then  be prepared to pay up.

Just like in real life.

• Confused 2
  • Boring 4
  • Angry 1

[AR]
Members
108 posts
2,365 battles
12 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I feel your pain. I thought I had all day 7-22. Nope, just late 7-21. So I was two missions, 59 fuel tokens short. I was like GAH! I miscalculated and thought I would have to buy it outright which was going to be a pass. I checked and between the remaining fuel tokens I needed and gold I had sitting in my account. Was able to spend $6 to get the rest of the fuel tokens in loot boxes. If you choose to wait, maybe the Benham will become available for coal in the Armory in the not so distant future. 

To be fair, I spent the last of my dubloons to make up the difference. I was close enough that it was only most of my dubloons but when I was spending SO MUCH TIME specifically to get it for free, it really killed my whole vibe to have to spend most of my monthly dubloons just because of sunk cost and left me with the worst feeling I've had from a video game "reward" in I dont even know how long

[TARK]
Members
4,228 posts
1,630 battles
2 minutes ago, Learux said:

Expecting a free ride from WG is unreasonable. If you really want something then  be prepared to pay up.

Just like in real life.

Expecting me to be casually farmed by a Flint with a 19 point captain and think, 'this is fun, I'll keep playing' is as daft as the Tsarina Alexandra thinking a photoshoot in a nurse uniform would be good PR.

It is a sentiment completely disconnected from the reality of the casual player.

• Boring 2

[FML]
Members
3,165 posts
13,519 battles
1 hour ago, EmojiSupreme said:

2-3 hours a day of game time expected for 24 days straight for a mediocre single ship reward

Whilst I understand your sentiment, OP, in no way is the Benham a mediocre ship or a mediocre reward. 

Instead, it is a high tier premium ship, which would cost quite a lot of money to buy outright, that’s getting mostly positive reviews. 

I think it is excellent that a free to play game like WoWS gives all players the opportunity to earn high end, expensive, end-game content for free. 

Whilst personally not a fan of the grind, and would be grateful for a more fun alternative, by no means do I think WG was being unreasonable here. 

With great rewards comes great effort. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,165 posts
13,519 battles
10 minutes ago, EmojiSupreme said:

To be fair, I spent the last of my dubloons to make up the difference. I was close enough that it was only most of my dubloons but when I was spending SO MUCH TIME specifically to get it for free, it really killed my whole vibe to have to spend most of my monthly dubloons just because of sunk cost and left me with the worst feeling I've had from a video game "reward" in I dont even know how long

You were not forced to get her.

if spending your doubloons in this way wasn’t a good deal, why on earth did you do it? 

The Benham is not essential kit; instead it’s a nice to have. 

[GOB]
Members
898 posts

This post is why I made the decision I did at the beginning of this " Event"   I just played the game and let whatever happened happen.  SO much more fun and relaxed for sure.  I finished a bunch of missions and got stuff along the way and had 251 Fuel tokens show up along  the way to boot.  Getting rid of the pressure of those grinds for not that big of a reward is just not worth it to me.  After the huge misunderstanding with the last one, I am plenty happy playing just for the fun.

Col Out

[CAST]
Members
2,029 posts
9,337 battles

The mission end dates are actually end dates on the server, not end of day dates in our areas. 

Unfortunately (or possibly fortunately), I knew early on that I wasn't going to get it because I was away for part of the daily missions.  As it ended, I have 712 fuel tokens.  Benham is not worth the cost to me for the rest of them, but I knew that early and came to terms with it.  Too, bad, because I am a fairly heavy user of the game.  I just happen to play it in spurts when I can, not spread out over lots of days.  I probably played it just as often as some of those that got enough fuel tokens, but because I couldn't get credit for all my games, I lost out.  In this way, I would prefer a continuous accumulative mission rather than one that is broken up in one where you have to play many days within the date range.

[TARK]
Members
4,228 posts
1,630 battles
13 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I think it is excellent that a free to play game like WoWS gives all players the opportunity to earn high end, expensive, end-game content for free. 

Benham wasn't free.

She cost approximately $25,000 of my time.

Do you actually think a pixel boat is worth more than a car?

• Cool 1

Members
2,897 posts
10,717 battles
2 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Benham wasn't free.

She cost approximately $25,000 of my time.

Do you actually think a pixel boat is worth more than a car?

You could just buy it then. At a fraction of $25000. 

[TARK]
Members
4,228 posts
1,630 battles
6 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

You could just buy it then. At a fraction of $25000. 

Nope.

I don't have the budget to spend over $200 dollars on a pixel boat. I could get a lot of much better content elsewhere.

• Boring 1

Members
2,897 posts
10,717 battles
Just now, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Nope.

I don't have the budget to spend over $200 dollars on a pixel boat. I could get a lot of much better content elsewhere.

Hmmm......

[90TH]
Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
7 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Nope.

Your math is bonkers.

• Funny 1

[TARK]
Members
4,228 posts
1,630 battles
Just now, Pytheas said:

Your math is bonkers.

That would be the cost of purchasing the loot crates with the fuel tokens necessary to obtain the Benham...

Do the math yourself.

[90TH]
Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
5 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

That would be the cost of purchasing the loot crates with the fuel tokens necessary to obtain the Benham...

Do the math yourself.

Ohh, I did. You claimed it cost you 25k of your time, then you said you dont have a 200 dollar budget.

• Cool 2

[TARK]
Members
4,228 posts
1,630 battles
Just now, Pytheas said:

Ohh, I did. You claimed it cost you 25k of your time, then you said you dont have a 200 dollar budget.

Time spent GRINDING for something in game gets assigned my work value -> approximately $350 per hour.

Money spent purchasing game related items gets compared to my 'personal money' budget ->$80 a month - which has to cover any tea, skipping leftovers for lunch and eating out, new books I want to read, etc.

WoWs isn't a high quality game and isn't, therefore, a high priority game for me to spend money upon. Especially with how sleazy the business model has been and how insulting the development staff has been towards me. So I spend my personal money elsewhere on far better content to far better behaving businesses that actually cherish having me as part of their community.

My wife and my son appreciate that I set priorities appropriately so that we will be able to live like no one else in the future.

• Boring 1

[90TH]
Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
5 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Time spent GRINDING for something in game gets assigned my work value -> approximately $350 per hour.

I suppose we disagree here. I'd love to read a full explanation on this idea of yours.

[TARK]
Members
4,228 posts
1,630 battles
4 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

I suppose we disagree here. I'd love to read a full explanation on this idea of yours.

I play games for fun.

I work for pay. 'Grinding' to me is work. I expect to be paid for work...or I value it as lost work opportunity and it is assigned my work price.

So, an hour at work is about $350. If I instead spend an hour working at WoWs, I better get $350 worth of value out of just that hour...and I dont like to buy full games that cost more than $50.