You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Old_Baldy_One

Karma - Can we be notified better?

13 comments in this topic

[SOFOP]
Members
1,589 posts
10,575 battles

I know many people think the in game karma is worthless.  I respect and understand your opinion.  This thread isn't for you :)

Karma as a mechanic in game has many flaws, and I understand that.  Worrying about it too much can be mind numbing, because people will report you for basically anything.

That said, the mechanic exists and isn't going away, so how about we get the following:

• Consistent reporting about when we are reported.
    • It seems the "You were reported" messages were removed, so now we have no clue which game we were reported on, or even THAT we were reported.  Compliments get reported accurately it seems, reports should be also.
    • Can we see what we were reported/complimented on?  These options in the menu exist for a reason - it would be nice to be able to see what it was.  
      • Note:  I am not asking to see WHO reported/complimented, jut what game it was and what was selected.
    • A summary of your karma "reports" would be nice.  How many times have I been complimented?  How many times reported?  How many times reported for "Misbehavior in chat" versus Unsporting Behavior?  etc.

I think this would at least make the information useful and let players have a little more faith that their clicks are doing "something".

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[SOFOP]
Members
1,589 posts
10,575 battles

Valid guide but you did miss one major point in it:  Dont play CVs.  :)

[FML]
Members
3,162 posts
13,504 battles
7 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I think this would at least make the information useful and let players have a little more faith that their clicks are doing "something

I’m a big user of the karma system (mostly positive, but also negative when appropriate), and I would like to see such a karma report.

[SAINT]
Members
719 posts
14,058 battles

My understanding of negative karma is that you have to receive three negatives in one engagement to be notified. Obviously any positive karma received equals a notification. 

I would doubt you will be notified of the captain's name who gave you positive or negative karma. In my often wrong opinion this would be somewhat counter productive to the "anonymous reporting" strategy WG is employing here. It is also my belief that the only point in karma is to lighten the work load on their customer service staff by giving players a way to report players immediately and without much fanfare. 

I would like to be able to give out more positive karma but other than that the system, however broken, is working as intended.

Have a great day and good hunting.

Image result for have a great day animal meme

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,793 posts
13,813 battles

They should change to

"someone like you <3 you get compliment"

"someone hate you, also you s**ks, reported!"

[PQUOD]
Members
3,071 posts
11,688 battles
54 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

"someone hate you, also you s**ks, reported!"

I think this one comes in the form of a chat ban notification.

[AAA]
Members
7 posts
13,549 battles

I actually pay attention to karma. I will compliment at the end of a match if say, a T8 player that gets 2200xp+ in a game because that is exceptional play - even if it's not a play I was able to notice in-game. I probably compliment opponents more than teammates mainly because I am intensely battling one or two (or seven!) so I can gauge their effort and skill. If I die early in game I will still watch and if someone is putting in a good, smart effort I will say so in chat as well as compliment in karma. If I am on a long WoWs binge it is not unusual for me to run out of compliments! Typically the only time I report anyone it's usually a team-mate (RARELY an opponent) who is exceptionally rude or clearly not very skilled AND not taking any useful, friendly advice (telling someone they suck clearly doesn't fit here, lol).  I when I lose karma, probably 75% of the time is DD play where I get annihilated early or where a team mate looks at position on the map in late game and asks why am I (and any other teammates nearby) so far away from the mail battle, clearly not aware that maybe 1-2 minutes ago we were battling other ships that are now sunk.

I haven't seen that farm karma link before, but it's nuts on -  all their bullet points and what I do each game. (#6 happens plenty … :) I have no idea if my karma (267) is a good number for 11,000 games because I don't have a way to compare like the other stats

On the topic of reporting karma - I typically know when I am going to lose a karma point or two and I am sure it's always "plays poorly" since I never trash talk in chat, but yeah it would be nice to know which item you were complimented\reported on.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,475 posts
4,550 battles
On 7/22/2019 at 4:18 PM, Old_Baldy_One said:

Consistent reporting about when we are reported.

How about ANY notification when you are reported?  I've taken to checking my karma frequently, and I sometimes come out of battles down one, when I did nothing even vaguely reportable.  My div mates are like, "What? You got reported?  For what?"  "I have no idea." 

"You were reported for Plays Poorly," would give us a clue, at least.

No, the answer is not to stop checking karma, but to make it meaningful.  It has the potential; make it so.

• Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
1,589 posts
10,575 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

How about ANY notification when you are reported?  I've taken to checking my karma frequently, and I sometimes come out of battles down one, when I did nothing even vaguely reportable.  My div mates are like, "What? You got reported?  For what?"  "I have no idea." 

"You were reported for Plays Poorly," would give us a clue, at least.

No, the answer is not to stop checking karma, but to make it meaningful.  It has the potential; make it so.

Exactly.  Its been months since I've seen the negative karma message, though my karma bounces around frequently.

My guess is they use this internally for statistics of some sort but honestly, its more useful to the player.  And again, I don't care WHO it came from (that would be a nightmare).  Just THAT i was reported, what game it was, and for what selected reason. I can then use it as I want.

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,235 battles
On 7/22/2019 at 4:24 PM, Old_Baldy_One said:

Valid guide but you did miss one major point in it:  Dont play CVs.  :)

Or Harugumo or Asashio.  

That is, if you actually care about your useless and meaningless karma score.  

[WOLFC]
Members
2,108 posts
12,040 battles

I see this as only a metric or tool for WG's use ... until and unless it has some documented value to the player base, it's an empty distraction.