Let's see we get the fisrt monitors

whitch one?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. whitch one?

11 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles

After the video of M33 I been thinking maybe time for a monitor. I was browse my Azur lane pick up HMS Terror and to be honest I didn't recognize BM until I read up on her & sister ship.

I think either one could be good for tier IV or V premium ships. 

http://navypedia.org/ships/uk/brit_bb1_erebus.htm

[PISD]
Members
566 posts
3,738 battles
25 minutes ago, TheHunter2_EAD said:

After the video of M33 I been thinking maybe time for a monitor. I was browse my Azur lane pick up HMS Terror and to be honest I didn't recognize BM until I read up on her & sister ship.

I think either one could be good for tier IV or V premium ships. 

http://navypedia.org/ships/uk/brit_bb1_erebus.htm

First problem: you cannot put then in a BB or a cruiser spots, and there is not enough monitors to creat their own class.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,109 posts
6,989 battles
1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

First problem: you cannot put then in a BB or a cruiser spots, and there is not enough monitors to creat their own class.

Make them tier 2 BBs and the problem solves itself, doesn't it? Just like Mikasa they'd go in a cruiser slot, then.

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles
1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

At least is a small step. And think like a small Dunkerque,  Jean Bart, or Richelieu with 1 main batter the same caliber gun on Hood and Queen Elizabeth 381/42 with plenty of 2nd battery and lots of AA from (Early 1941-1946) version.

Or could ask for the Roberts: http://navypedia.org/ships/uk/brit_bb1_roberts.htm

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles
14 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Make them tier 2 BBs and the problem solves itself, doesn't it? Just like Mikasa they'd go in a cruiser slot, then.

Wrong ship check the links plz. And it's not M33.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,109 posts
6,989 battles
5 hours ago, TheHunter2_EAD said:

Wrong ship check the links plz. And it's not M33.

Yes, I know what they are. Mikasa is the only T2 BB in the game is all, and has 2x2 guns, so they'd be in the company of a ship that can't hit to save its life. If they were to give it a lot more accuracy, I feel that she'd be fairly balanced at the tier.

Edit: Heck, give them Yubari and Katori's accuracy mod and they'd be downright scary!

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles
On 7/23/2019 at 2:49 PM, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Yes, I know what they are. Mikasa is the only T2 BB in the game is all, and has 2x2 guns, so they'd be in the company of a ship that can't hit to save its life. If they were to give it a lot more accuracy, I feel that she'd be fairly balanced at the tier.

Edit: Heck, give them Yubari and Katori's accuracy mod and they'd be downright scary!

I'm willing to go down a tier. To tier III 

[KAPPA]
Members
2,109 posts
6,989 battles
3 minutes ago, TheHunter2_EAD said:

I'm willing to go down a tier. To tier III 

The issue comes down to matchmaking. You'd have it in a tier 3/4/5 cruiser or BB slot. While, sure, I could see a DD slot being... possible, I imagine most would then hate having her on their team. And, more importantly, are any of those really fair for the monitors? If you have a ship with a single main battery matched with cruisers, you're not able to keep up with the DPM. If you have it matched with BBs, you basically are a worse BB, and one would be hard pressed to find a way to change this. DDs, however, would be strangest of all. You'd have a ship that simply can't do a DD's job.

Do you give them DD concealment? CL? CA? The stats for such a ship would have to be wonky as heck. This is why I mentioned such a low tier. Because of matchmaking. Unless they do something crazy in the way of buffs, such as increased reload speed to 10-15 seconds, give her Yamato levels of accuracy, or make her as stealthy as a DD, she's a hard ship to fit anywhere in the matchmaker.

Sure, she'd largely be fine against BBs, but she'd be eaten alive by cruisers and maybe even DDs, who are accurate enough to hit her just fine. And, when the entire point of the ship is being small enough so as to not be hit, I find difficulty in justifying such high tiers. Her capabilities simply can't keep up with those of other ships.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see these ships in game, but I can't imagine where they'd actually work in the grand scheme.

Another advantage is a T2 can't see CVs, as CVs would honestly eat them alive I feel.

[JFSOC]
Members
1,310 posts
4,161 battles

Monitors would be terrible choices to play in this game.  First, all of them are slow...  really slow.  Terror and Erebus do about 12 knots.  They make the slow US BB's in the game look downright fast!

Next, while these ships do have some armor generally, it's on the order of what's on a light cruiser, not a battleship.  So you'd have like 1" of deck and 3 to 5" of belt.

They have at best, very limited AA defenses.

Their one saving grace is that at least the British ones are damn near torpedo proof.  They could easily absorb half a dozen torpedo hits or more because they have insanely deep torpedo bulges and defenses.

hms-general-wolfe-1918-monitor.png

That's the WW 1 General Wolfe.  Note the huge torpedo defense bulges on her.  Now, mentioning the General Wolfe...  She has a single 18" gun aft, but it's totally useless as a naval weapon as it has no traverse.  It was intended solely for shore bombardment.  Worse, note the boxes forward of the 18" mount on deck.  Those are the cordite charges for the gun...  Yes, on deck, unarmored...  Can you say massive uncontrollable fire the first time this ship takes a hit...? :Smile_facepalm:  It was fine when the ship was shore bombarding and there was nothing firing back, but in the game...?

Or, you could get the US version like the USS Monterey, a really slow, vulnerable pre-dreadnought for all intents.

Monitor_monterrey.jpg

The worst part about her is one torpedo and down she goes...

Here's Monterey's half sister Monadnock at sea...

USS_Monadnock_BM-3_crossing_the_Pacific.

I don't think monitors of any sort would be popular ships for play.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles
4 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Another advantage is a T2 can't see CVs, as CVs would honestly eat them alive I feel.

I get the MM part and Everything else. But the u truth there is no one at T2. I been playing Mikasa for awhile there's barely any one there almost all are at T3 or higher.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this