You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

If you're on the fence about Gascogne...

25 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
6,819 posts
7,440 battles

... let me do my best to sell you on it.

Gascogne is actually a really unique, fun ship for a number of reasons:

1) She's got amazing range. Honestly, you'll make little use of it beyond about 20km, but it's reassuring that you can reach out even further to snapshot some lazy cruiser island camping.

2) Her AP and HE are both excellent. She's basically got Richelieu's AP paired with Vanguard's HE (albeit slightly less accurate guns than either).

3) She's fast. The speed boost makes this even better, but even rolling along at the base maximum, you're going to compete with some cruisers 

4) She can be specced for secondaries, and it is hilarious. They're not quite Tirpitz-level, but because most people aren't expecting anything at all, it's funny as hell to see her do area denial when some destroyer gets too close.

5) It's a Richelieu that can actually kite. That gun arrangement does have its advantages.

Downsides? A thin belt and meh AA. Still, I feel like this is a ship that frequently gets lumped in with Roma in people's minds as a dud, and I assure you - it isn't.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,819 posts
3,784 battles

She was the original holder of the quick repair party. That alone was a selling point for me.  

Shes not a favorite, but all around was a good buy. Gotta love those Frenchies:fish_viking:

Members
1,849 posts
16,075 battles

Sorry, she is the worst of my tier 8 BBs, guns are underwhelming and it tiers up poorly - I would not recommend.

[-K-]
Members
7,298 posts
12,010 battles
1 minute ago, Panzer1113 said:

Sorry, she is the worst of my tier 8 BBs, guns are underwhelming and it tiers up poorly - I would not recommend.

Indeed.  She's not a bad ship necessarily, but does lack the punch when going up against heavyweights like Yamato and Kremlin.  I've had her in port a long time and have only played her a handful of times, but reading this thread might get me to take her out again just to get a feel again.  If memory serves me, I believe I used to try and use that speed boost to play her like an oversized cruiser and remember doing ok when I did.

But if given the choice of T8 battleships, she'd likely end up somewhere close to the bottom of the list compared to everything else.

[TBW]
Members
8,613 posts
15,469 battles
19 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I feel like this is a ship that frequently gets lumped in with Roma in people's minds as a dud, and I assure you - it isn't.

The Roma has a better WR than Gascogne.

[KNMSU]
Members
6,819 posts
7,440 battles
5 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

You're not trying to punch the tier 10 bbs - you're trying to light them on fire. Gascogne has far more utility in this regard than, say, a Bismarck, which cannot fall back on high range and strong HE.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,851 posts
9,673 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The Roma has a better WR than Gascogne.

I own both. Gas can is meh with some unique traits... Roma is for killing BBs.

Members
119 posts
1,939 battles

For secondaries I have my Massaschusetts and it is pretty fun. 

For anything else im few weeks from getting a Jean Bart. 

[HYDRO]
Members
3,678 posts
5,280 battles

She also has the same 32mm armor everywhere, making her an extra crispy target for anyone with sufficient HE pen.

Edited by warheart1992

[NMKJT]
Members
2,246 posts
6,232 battles

Gascogne can be enjoyable, especially in more otherwise boring long range matches where you're bottom tier. When flanks you're on fall, you can kite very well with the speed boost, fast heal, and the guns can be punchy enough. I've cit a lazy Musashi at 20km with them.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,108 posts
9,874 battles
29 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

... let me do my best to sell you on it.

Unfortunately for WG, the ship coupon that came in late June meant that it's highly likely a lot of people picked up the Jean Bart. Those people will now be asking themselves why they should spend money on a high-tier French premium battleship when they already have one.

I have a sneaking suspicion they would probably have made more money by offering the Dunkerque as a package headliner. For only a little more, the buyer would get three ships instead of one - and people who were leery about the Duca D'Aosta might have taken a chance and bought her as a half-price singleton, even though she's going to have important differences from her upcoming tech-tree cousins.

[DDCO]
Members
73 posts
12,015 battles

I love my gasc. If you use it like a fast strike boat it is very effective. It doe's have throw weight problem's, but those can bait unsuspecting cruiser's and DD's to mistake her for an easy kill. Kiting is a blast as she can haul [edited] and put distance between enemie's quickly. gun's are good but not great. Run it like a battle cruiser and it work's well and is alot of fun.

• Cool 2

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,146 posts
4,464 battles

I rarely see them but when I do there kinda like French cruisers. They don't have much impact on a win or loss...

[-BRS-]
Members
1,851 posts
9,673 battles
28 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

She also has the same 32mm armor everywhere, making her an extra crispy target for anyone with sufficient HE pen.

Unless they nerf IFHE... then the armour becomes sufficient.

Members
516 posts
4,309 battles

Went ahead and bit the bullet. It’s not going to be any cheaper and I’d rather not get it in a container. 

Edited by I_Potato_Ther4_I_Yam
Autocorrect

[SYN]
Members
3,497 posts
11,944 battles

I like this ship too. I don't think it's particularly good, but it's a well-handling ship that does good enough... kind of like a T8 Hood! 

[RED]
Members
249 posts
11,515 battles

With the current MM it would be a rare T8 that could be recommended for purchase when facing T9s and T10s in almost every match. Don’t think Gascan is one of those.

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,540 posts
5,976 battles

I want it, but not enough to spend the cash at the moment. I have enough doubloons with a ten dollar top-off, so I might do that. Gascan should get better with the MM and IFHE changes.

Edited by AdmiralPiett

Beta Testers
1,310 posts
7,070 battles
2 hours ago, Ghostar_1 said:

For secondaries I have my Massaschusetts and it is pretty fun. 

For anything else im few weeks from getting a Jean Bart. 

JB Secondaries are awesome. So many good times with those things.

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

I like gasc too. Not my favorite ship and I don’t remember whether I did very well in it since it gets uptiered most matches. I played more of a support role in it but overall it’s quick rate of fire, speed and good HE tends to catch many of the opportunities thrown at it. 

Edited by _ENO_

[POP]
Members
1,518 posts
18,647 battles

I had a ton of fun in this ship when I played it as a marauder. I went full secondary build and tanked 4.1m potential damage one game. If you cant directly pen it you light it on fire with HE and start stacking with secondary's if you can. The only issue I ran into was the German and American secondary spec BBs just do it better in that dept. and there are a fair amount of Georgia's skulking about right now.