TheURLGuy

Hit the Tier VI Milestone with 10 Simple Steps

21 comments in this topic

[A-O]
Members
786 posts
8,136 battles

It would be better to offer a 10 step program explaining why rushing thru the tiers is actually a BAD IDEA !

• Cool 7

[TBW]
Members
8,633 posts
15,512 battles
34 minutes ago, freggo said:

It would be better to offer a 10 step program explaining why rushing thru the tiers is actually a BAD IDEA !

I really don't get why people always say this. Game play changes from tier to tier and you have to play at that tier to learn it. I have knowledge of the game mechanics and almost all of the ships. My worst tier as far as win rate goes is tier 10 and that is probably from the simple fact, that I don't play tier 10 very often. I don't play tier 10 often because I am trying to get all of the ships in the game, also for the reason that at high tiers the game play changes to an Eagle Scout camping jamboree and I don't like the passive play style. My point is, that I would have to play at tier 10 more to ease into the passive more strategic style of play. Even when I have all of the ships (I have 10 tier 9's ready for Ranked battle, so I can grind out the tier 10's) I myself, probably won't play many upper tier battles. What people need to learn is how they want to play and to stick to the tiers that offer more of their play style. They also have to learn to change their play style, when moving from low to medium to high tier play. You actually have to play at those tiers to get good at it. It's not that the Unicum players are all that much better at aiming than a potato, they are better at the strategy for the Meta of the tier that they are playing at.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 3

[VW]
Members
3,232 posts
16,293 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I really don't get why people always say this. Game play changes from tier to tier and you have to play at that tier to learn it. I have knowledge of the game mechanics and almost all of the ships. My worst tier as far as win rate goes is tier 10 and that is probably from the simple fact, that I don't play tier 10 very often. I don't play tier 10 often because I am trying to get all of the ships in the game, also for the reason that at high tiers the game play changes to an Eagle Scout camping jamboree and I don't like the passive play style. My point is, that I would have to play at tier 10 more to ease into the passive more strategic style of play. Even when I have all of the ships (I have 10 tier 9's ready for Ranked battle, so I can grind out the tier 10's) I myself, probably won't play many upper tier battles. What people need to learn is how they want to play and to stick to the tiers that offer more of their play style. They also have to learn to change their play style, when moving from low to medium to high tier play. You actually have to play at those tiers to get good at it. It's not that the Unicum players are all that much better at aiming than a potato, they are better at the strategy for the Meta of the tier that they are playing at.

I agree, the reason for tier 10 sucking is easy: repair costs. In order to lose less money you cant die in two seconds , leads to passive play.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
8,633 posts
15,512 battles
2 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I agree, the reason for tier 10 sucking is easy: repair costs. In order to lose less money you cant die in two seconds , leads to passive play.

That is an excellent point of fact, consider this @WG.

[VW]
Members
3,232 posts
16,293 battles
3 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

That is an excellent point of fact, consider this @WG.

Problem is they know this, it’s their business model: play tier 10, lose credits, pay real world bitcoins for premium time/ships.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,791 posts
5,811 battles
25 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Sorry, I have to disagree. Even without Premium time (and I've checked), it's NOT that hard to net-0, or make bank at Tier 10. Unless you are just BAD at the game. WG practically gives out flags and camos to make tier 10 credit loses as minimal as they've ever been.

I can play fairly aggressively and still not lose credits. (Arguably, my definition of aggressive may differ than yours.) But by no means do I passively sit back and snipe in T10.

[VW]
Members
3,232 posts
16,293 battles
11 minutes ago, aether_tech said:

Sorry, I have to disagree. Even without Premium time (and I've checked), it's NOT that hard to net-0, or make bank at Tier 10. Unless you are just BAD at the game. WG practically gives out flags and camos to make tier 10 credit loses as minimal as they've ever been.

I can play fairly aggressively and still not lose credits. (Arguably, my definition of aggressive may differ than yours.) But by no means do I passively sit back and snipe in T10.

Sorry but not everyone thinks randoms is worth using said flags/camos. And you said it yourself, the gameplay is not at all aggressive compared to tiers 5-7, where no matter what you do you make credits.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,791 posts
5,811 battles
13 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Sorry but not everyone thinks randoms is worth using said flags/camos. And you said it yourself, the gameplay is not at all aggressive compared to tiers 5-7, where no matter what you do you make credits.

I dont notice much gameplay difference between tiers.

And, if you dont like losing credits, dont play tiers you cant afford.

Afiac, randoms, and scenarios, are the only place credit/cost flags should be used.  Cost reducing camos and flags are pretty much for t9-10, so saving those for non-high tier gameplay is ridiculous. And if youre not playing high tier randoms, whats the point of complaining about the eco cost?

Not maximizing your own economic gains is your own issue.

Edited by aether_tech

[RLGN]
Members
12,054 posts
21,616 battles
14 minutes ago, aether_tech said:

Cost reducing camos and flags are pretty much for t9-10

Except I don't find those enjoyable?

15 minutes ago, aether_tech said:

And if you're not playing high tier randoms, whats the point of complaining about the eco cost?

Though this I agree with.

I consider myself somewhat lazy, (in the sense of learning armor schemes and such,) and so distressingly average it's not even funny; and yet I don't find it difficult to make bank across ALL tiers.

Doing so is more about map awareness, and at least basic awareness of game mechanics.

To put it crudely; 'don't suck,'  and it's easy enough to make bank.

• Cool 1

[AVW]
Members
132 posts
21,909 battles

2. Find your comfort zone
When you’re starting out in World of Warships, you may be inclined to search through the forums to find a solution to the ultimate question: which ship branch is the strongest? The truth is that every Captain is different, and their playstyles vary wildly, but if you're learning the game from the bare basics, both Japanese and American warships are well-rounded and offer a friendly place to start.

If you like stealth and ambushing, give destroyers a shot.
If you pride yourself on wielding the biggest guns on the battlefield, battleships may be your cup of tea.
If you favor versatility and support, piloting cruisers might just be your calling.
After a while, you’ll get the hang of the gameplay and find the branch you feel most comfortable in

So, once again CVs are excluded as a class huh? I guess Langley, Hosho and Hermes don't count huh? I see how it is.

THIS POST makes it abundantly clear to me that Wargaming does not care any more about CVs, getting people to play them or fixing the screwed up rework anymore. If so, that's fine but just come out and say it instead of hiding behind veiled insults by omission. 

• Cool 2

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,791 posts
5,811 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Except I don't find those enjoyable?

Though this I agree with.

I consider myself somewhat lazy, (in the sense of learning armor schemes and such,) and so distressingly average it's not even funny; and yet I don't find it difficult to make bank across ALL tiers.

Doing so is more about map awareness, and at least basic awareness of game mechanics.

To put it crudely; 'don't suck,'  and it's easy enough to make bank.

Buddy, I don't even know how much armor my most played ships have, half the time what caliber gun is shooting me. Someone told me Colorado had a turtle back and my response was ""what? it does?" then I shot a Colorado with my Dunk-King and 20k'd it.

I just angle, and I scoot, shoot, loot, and boot!

[RLGN]
Members
12,054 posts
21,616 battles
2 hours ago, Zilla said:

So, once again CVs are excluded as a class huh? I guess Langley, Hosho and Hermes don't count huh? I see how it is.

THIS POST makes it abundantly clear to me that Wargaming does not care any more about CVs, getting people to play them or fixing the screwed up rework anymore. If so, that's fine but just come out and say it instead of hiding behind veiled insults by omission.

I still contend they should have given us the RN carriers in 2017, instead of a lie; and either left well enough alone, or removed manual and strafe from everything.

That way ‘just good enough’ carrier drivers could have at least enjoyed the ships in Co-op and OPs, and any carrier you saw in Randoms would at least go away for a while after an attack, instead of coming right back for more ‘Death by a Thousand Cuts.’

[CRF]
Members
463 posts
6,719 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I still contend they should have given us the RN carriers in 2017, instead of a lie; and either left well enough alone, or removed manual and strafe from everything.

That way ‘just good enough’ carrier drivers could have at least enjoyed the ships in Co-op and OPs, and any carrier you saw in Randoms would at least go away for a while after an attack, instead of coming right back for more ‘Death by a Thousand Cuts.’

Have to agree with you, tho I didn't play much CV early on. I found that type of play a little more stressful in the fact you had multiple squadrons out at a time, but you could spot in one area and attack in another.  With the current gameplay, I just am not good enough to not lose the entire squadron after one pass where I once again have misjudged the drop.  Once the CV's show up in co-op, I will more likely play some more games without feeling like I gave the red team a free BB upgrade to gain additional exp in their particular gameplay.  And then once I am comfortable with that, I am sure WG will once again adjust the play balance....

Playing coop in the recent PTS where the bots had a CV was interesting, tho not sure how good a test that was considering how few human players where on a team at the same time.  Twice I went after the bot CV in a dd and was pretty much ignored by its planes.  Then one time, I played a CV and the rest of my team were bots.  Heard the dreaded "You are our last hope" notice and faced two BB's (luckily about 1/2 health each, and tier 4/5 BBs so much slower than the CV)....did manage to survive AND sink both of them, but it was nerve wracking....

Edited by sonoasailor

[RLGN]
Members
12,054 posts
21,616 battles
1 hour ago, sonoasailor said:

Then one time, I played a CV and the rest of my team were bots.  Heard the dreaded "You are our last hope" notice and faced two BB's (luckily about 1/2 health each, and tier 4/5 BBs so much slower than the CV)....did manage to survive AND sink both of them, but it was nerve wracking....

This was why I loved RTS co-op carriers so much. When I play is almost always post 2300, so a lot of those Co-op teams were all bots, or 2-3 humans.

Me and my old Bogue would probably be cursed to high digital heaven if the bots had a lounge to rest in between games.

Seriously good times, lots of hard earned Solo Warriors, if that had been something awarded in Co-op.

These days... There's just no fun any more in playing carriers. I can't dodge AA like some apparently can; can't slingshot, and can't do enough damage fast enough to survive a team collapse in Co-op like I used to in the RTS days.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[VW]
Members
3,232 posts
16,293 battles
12 hours ago, aether_tech said:

I dont notice much gameplay difference between tiers.

And, if you dont like losing credits, dont play tiers you cant afford.

Afiac, randoms, and scenarios, are the only place credit/cost flags should be used.  Cost reducing camos and flags are pretty much for t9-10, so saving those for non-high tier gameplay is ridiculous. And if youre not playing high tier randoms, whats the point of complaining about the eco cost?

Not maximizing your own economic gains is your own issue.

Ranked, duh!

[VW]
Members
3,232 posts
16,293 battles
12 hours ago, aether_tech said:

And if youre not playing high tier randoms, whats the point of complaining about the eco cost?

The cost is why op is not playing high tier randoms.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,791 posts
5,811 battles
8 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Ranked, duh!

8 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

The cost is why op is not playing high tier randoms.

Considering how short ranked can be, or can't be - both sprint, and regular versions.

There still should be no issue in net-0, or gaining credits with the proper flag and camo setup.

[VW]
Members
3,232 posts
16,293 battles
On 7/23/2019 at 4:19 PM, aether_tech said:

Considering how short ranked can be, or can't be - both sprint, and regular versions.

There still should be no issue in net-0, or gaining credits with the proper flag and camo setup.

And what makes you think new players have access to sufficient amounts of camo?

it’s cute youre defending wg’s business model, but the fact remains if it was as useless as you claim they wouldnt use it.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,791 posts
5,811 battles
11 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

And what makes you think new players have access to sufficient amounts of camo?

it’s cute youre defending wg’s business model, but the fact remains if it was as useless as you claim they wouldnt use it.

I made a new account to test some stuff out. got to tier 6 and had plenty of camos and flags  by then.

Members
424 posts
6,641 battles
On 7/22/2019 at 5:25 PM, Sovereigndawg said:

I really don't get why people always say this.

Because there are some very specific things you need to learn at each tier and there are 3 (that I noticed) very noticable stages for DD play. 

• 4 to 5 stop yoloing.
  • 7 to 8 radar and stealth builds.
  • 9 to 10 slow down even more.

There are other things that you need to learn along the way and if you take your time you have longer to learn how to lead your shots, broadsides are not so punishing.  If you only start learning this at T8 it is going to be much more difficult than if you picked it up at T4.

I actually advocate to not use premium time and not use any XP boost flags at least in the first line or 2 that you go up.