Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USS_Taylor_Swift

The "new 'old'" line of sight mechanic.

31 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,063 posts
1,286 battles

So as the game is now, and as it used to be, when firing your guns, your firing bloom makes you detected for 20 seconds, even if you drop from line of sight and return. For a while, there was a different system that WG said was a bug where your detection radius would return to normal if you broke line of sight from the red ships. They decided to fix this bug in January to much protest from the players who liked this new system much better. Because of our response protesting the revert back to the current system, WG said they would look into properly implementing this mechanic, but they couldn't leave it in at the moment because as a glitch it could make problems for the game. It's been half a year since and we've heard no word about it. So I'm making this thread as a reminder to WG as well as any other players who may have forgotten about it. It was one of the best changes they made in the game, albeit by mistake and I would really like to see that system come back.

  • Cool 15
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,005
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,803 posts
4,866 battles

just mount the stock range finder so you can escape faster. I do this for all Jpn destroyers. Anyone outside of the 10km range of my gun bloom, can no longer see me as i move away

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,063 posts
1,286 battles
58 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

just mount the stock range finder so you can escape faster. I do this for all Jpn destroyers. Anyone outside of the 10km range of my gun bloom, can no longer see me as i move away

no thanks, I didn't make the topic with the concern of a single line of DDs in mind.

Edited by USS_Taylor_Swift
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
245
[GT99]
Members
654 posts
10,063 battles
3 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

So as the game is now, and as it used to be, when firing your guns, your firing bloom makes you detected for 20 seconds, even if you drop from line of sight and return. For a while, there was a different system that WG said was a bug where your detection radius would return to normal if you broke line of sight from the red ships. They decided to fix this bug in January to much protest from the players who liked this new system much better. Because of our response protesting the revert back to the current system, WG said they would look into properly implementing this mechanic, but they couldn't leave it in at the moment because as a glitch it could make problems for the game. It's been half a year since and we've heard no word about it. So I'm making this thread as a reminder to WG as well as any other players who may have forgotten about it. It was one of the best changes they made in the game, albeit by mistake and I would really like to see that system come back.

May I ask you why you like the alternative to what we have now? I would like some insight on your thoughts and gameplay. Both ways have their pros and cons; just trying to understand better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
233
[XXX]
Members
388 posts
975 battles

I just want to toss a idea...but what about larger games and larger maps?  More ships each side..larger maps in general... Maybe a little randomization to spawning instead of fixed spawns to a sphere..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
296
[NSEW]
Members
1,532 posts
9,706 battles
4 minutes ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

So as the game is now, and as it used to be, when firing your guns, your firing bloom makes you detected for 20 seconds, even if you drop from line of sight and return.

Is that how it is now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,153
[N-W-T]
Members
1,919 posts
7,557 battles

Agree, WG said the way it works now is how they intended, but due to feedback they would revert to the "bugged" version where breaking line of sight reset the bloom. Nothing on the topic since. Honestly, things like the Combat Missions button *still* pointing to the Events tab shows the devs are basically just lazy. So maybe there's still hope they will fix this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,631 posts
7,839 battles

Yep, 100% agree, they said it'd be a couple patches till it's reverted back to the LOS based system that was patched out, but they've said nothing and probably done nothing about it... it'd be a big QoL improvement for DDs and cruisers who want to do lots of hit and run attacks between islands, even battleships would benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,761
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,086 posts
3 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Agree, WG said the way it works now is how they intended, but due to feedback they would revert to the "bugged" version where breaking line of sight reset the bloom. Nothing on the topic since. Honestly, things like the Combat Missions button *still* pointing to the Events tab shows the devs are basically just lazy. So maybe there's still hope they will fix this. 

No, they're busy reinventing wheels of fortune, their's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,005
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,803 posts
4,866 battles
6 hours ago, Formous said:

I just want to toss a idea...but what about larger games and larger maps?  More ships each side..larger maps in general... Maybe a little randomization to spawning instead of fixed spawns to a sphere..

that almost like a frontline mode of wot. 30 vs 30 mode on a map 9 times bigger then the normal random ones. and sometime it can take up to 40min to finish. with wows and it slow nature of the battles. it could easily push to over a hour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,207
[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles

I had a weird situation a couple weeks ago in my Gearing.  I smoked up, and started firing.  I was then radar illuminated by a Des Moines cozied up behind an island, so I floored it to get out of his range.  I stopped firing before I exited my smoke, and shortly after leaving the smoke I exited the Des Moines' radar range as well.  To my surprise, though, I was still suffering from gun bloom detection radius.  Seems like, since at no point was gun bloom the mechanic that was getting me detected, it never should have been in play.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,063 posts
1,286 battles
7 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I had a weird situation a couple weeks ago in my Gearing.  I smoked up, and started firing.  I was then radar illuminated by a Des Moines cozied up behind an island, so I floored it to get out of his range.  I stopped firing before I exited my smoke, and shortly after leaving the smoke I exited the Des Moines' radar range as well.  To my surprise, though, I was still suffering from gun bloom detection radius.  Seems like, since at no point was gun bloom the mechanic that was getting me detected, it never should have been in play.

Because you fired when you were radared even though in smoke, that brings your gun bloom out to max range the same as if if you were firing in open water, so even if you break out from radar range, it will still be bloomed out for the 20 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
6 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Because you fired when you were radared even though in smoke, that brings your gun bloom out to max range the same as if if you were firing in open water, so even if you break out from radar range, it will still be bloomed out for the 20 seconds.

?? Really ?? This is how it works now ??  Radar works on gun bloom effect too ??...just plain dumb... WG uses magical radar waves .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116
[RKLES]
Members
237 posts
12,441 battles

It needs to be brought back to the way it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,063 posts
1,286 battles
2 hours ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

?? Really ?? This is how it works now ??  Radar works on gun bloom effect too ??...just plain dumb... WG uses magical radar waves .....

that's how it's always been, but only if you've left your smoke cover

Edited by USS_Taylor_Swift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,207
[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles
10 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

that's how it's always been, but only if you've left your smoke cover

So if I had continued to stay in smoke and fire, and then stopped firing and left the smoke seconds after the radar expired, I would not have ever experienced gun bloom?  

I know applying "realism" to WOWS mechanics is just opening a can of worms but that's completely non-intuitive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
454 posts

They lied. Period. They have zero intention of ever reverting. WG does not do that. What happened is they said they would revert it just to shut everyone up, and hope it's forgotten about.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,063 posts
1,286 battles
4 hours ago, Noone_You_Know said:

They lied. Period. They have zero intention of ever reverting. WG does not do that. What happened is they said they would revert it just to shut everyone up, and hope it's forgotten about.

They never actually said they would revert it, just that they would look into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
330
[PEED2]
Beta Testers
1,699 posts
20,881 battles

@KamiWill this ever be changed to how it was or is it going to stay as is today?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
904
[WOLF3]
Members
1,747 posts
6,592 battles

How about basing the "gun bloom" sight mechanics on the main battery reload speed?

Also, line of sight would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×