You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

26 comments in this topic

[12TF]
Members
24 posts
3,869 battles

How is the tier 7 Atlanta in this meta. I know it's still a paper ship and everything. But like how does it hold it owns against carriers. Also can i still hide just a few inches behind a island and shoot over any island in the game or did that get a nerf?

[WOLFB]
Members
3,009 posts
12,596 battles

Atlanta is still a very strong ship and the last AA buff made her an even stronger anti CV CL.

In the current meta, I think she still perform really well. We'll need to see how the IFHE change will affect the ship but a ship like Atlanta with very good DPM cannot be weak

[SIMP]
Members
1,333 posts
12 minutes ago, LittleBush said:

How is the tier 7 Atlanta in this meta. I know it's still a paper ship and everything. But like how does it hold it owns against carriers. Also can i still hide just a few inches behind a island and shoot over any island in the game or did that get a nerf?

Actually (and surprisingly for WG), Atlanta is a REAL ship unlike the current push to get as many fake premiums out there as possible.

They have just given up any semblance of putting real ships in the game any more, because fake ships are easy to code - they can do whatever they want without people calling them on it.  Lazy, lazy, lazy - and they wonder why the game is failing.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 3

Members
827 posts
13,825 battles
52 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

Actually (and surprisingly for WG), Atlanta is a REAL ship unlike the current push to get as many fake premiums out there as possible.

They have just given up any semblance of putting real ships in the game any more, because fake ships are easy to code - they can do whatever they want without people calling them on it.  Lazy, lazy, lazy - and they wonder why the game is failing.

I think the paper being referred to is the thickness of the armor.

• Funny 2

[12TF]
Members
24 posts
3,869 battles
1 hour ago, Prothall said:

I think the paper being referred to is the thickness of the armor.

Yes I was referring to the armor being weak not the guns or AA.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,755 posts
5,789 battles

Atlanta is dependent on WHO is playing it. IN my hands, it's a mediocre ship at best. Chip damage everywhere, the occasional DD murder...

But I've seen absolutely USELESS Atalanta players, absolutely terrifying players. It rewards positioning like a DM does. Wug that isle-waifu from behind. Focus on ships that recently used DCP to get more fires. Shoot DD's, and if you get REALLY close to something broadside, (under 5km) AP it to death - pen/cit cruisers, or pen BB's. Several thousand damage every few seconds will take things down. Also, don't plan on using Atlanta torps.... they happen, but rarely.

[SOCOM]
Members
411 posts
16,690 battles

The Atlanta is a POS IMO. Look at the wiki it would take a 23 point captain just to get what is needed to make it a good ship. The arc is unbelievable. when shooting sometimes the arc is out of view, you can make coffee before the shell lands. The high arc is for island firing true but that is because the casement was designed for that, but it had a more direct firing mode when shooting horizantaly, But then that would make it a good American ship. Being a retired USN I talked to Gunner Mates and showed them the arcing, they just shook their heads and laughed. The ship was designed for DD hunting and had rapid and more direct firing. imagine if the WOW atlanta actually worked the way it was designed, DD would be Dead Steel.

• Cool 1

Members
768 posts
18,340 battles

I'm one of the better Atlanta players in the server and I love the ship.

But I haven't played it since shortly after the CV rework. Atlanta was one of the ships that got royally screwed by the new AA system as pretty much all of its useful AA is concentrated on the long-range aura and the long-range aura used to be, and mostly still is, practically useless.

Mind you, the main issue with AA that's ineffective is the constant aerial spotting, be it by the CV or catapult launched planes, which hurts the Atlanta quite severely as it relies on stealth to move about the map and reposition.

It doesn't help that Atlanta is a prized target for the red team and anyone worth their salt wants to focus it down to ashes... including CVs.

It is an awesome ship to harvest Free XP and credits in Narai though.

Edit: Oh, you definitely cannot shoot over every island. Depends on how close you are an how low the island is.

Edited by yacskn

[WORX]
Members
6,418 posts
16,183 battles
4 hours ago, LittleBush said:

*NVM the meta*

IF you're an experiance US light cruiser cpt. The ATL is a fun Ship...Caution 

• The ATL is not for beginners
  • The ATL is not for the faint of heart
  • The ATL without a 19pt cpt is ill-advised and down right suicidal..
  • Angling is non-existent in an ATL... BBs, cruisers will delete you with one salvo of AP

Her AA is what the Devs have been tweaking since 0.8.2.... RIght now, her AA is in the decent range, its not pre 0.8.0 lvls.

Its a fun ship... Not for everyone but fun non the less.

Members
3,935 posts
4,205 battles

Do you really need a 19pt captain? I feel like i've been doing fine will only a 10 point one. That aside the ship is fun, but requires good location and repositioning to be effective. So same as always I guess. 

[WOLFB]
Members
3,009 posts
12,596 battles
8 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Do you really need a 19pt captain? I feel like i've been doing fine will only a 10 point one. That aside the ship is fun, but requires good location and repositioning to be effective. So same as always I guess. 

It can work with a 10pt captain but I would recommend at least a 14-15pt to be fairly enjoyable. 

-If you go with CE you'll lack range and be forced to play at suicidal range (can be tricky when there's no cover)

-If you go with IFHE, you'll lack range again

-If you go for AFT, you'll have to be very good at aiming the superstructure against everything that isn't a DD.

• Cool 1

[SCCC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
205 posts
6,695 battles
12 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

It has glaring flaws without at least 2 4 point skills. It really requires a 19 pointer to do what you want to do with it.

• Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
2,109 posts
6,989 battles
13 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

She's a point hungry ship to the extreme. She's a ship that does best when it has 3 seperate 4 point skills: IFHE, concealment expert and advanced firing training. This buffs her penetration and makes her guns fire far enough to actually reach, while making her stealthy enough to effectively use that reach.

• Cool 1

[SAA]
Members
388 posts
5,287 battles
10 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

She's a point hungry ship to the extreme. She's a ship that does best when it has 3 seperate 4 point skills: IFHE, concealment expert and advanced firing training. This buffs her penetration and makes her guns fire far enough to actually reach, while making her stealthy enough to effectively use that reach.

+1.

Those 3 skills and then you can choose between BFT and DE and some other 1 point skill.  Atlanta really needs 18 points.  BUT... if you like operations it is the best Narai ship in the game.  Getting those points will take you much less time than any other way in the game... and then when you get 19 it will keep on giving.  Wearing the right flags I have had 50,000 elite cap points in one game in Atlanta in Narai before. 

Members
7 posts
9,431 battles

All I can say is this ship is good against dds and some cruisers at close range.  Anything over 9km and you  pray to hit something no matter how good your aim. I bought it and played it and didn't bother with it.  Not even when I am in desperate need of a premium ship to farm credits do I play this.  I should have bought the Belfast instead. If you're good at hiding (depending on the map) this ship is for you.  If not and you can't even aim in any other cruiser, expect to have a hard time with this ship.

This was a complete waste of my money. I outplay Atlanta players is dd's, no torpedoes and stock tier 6 and 7 ships.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,109 posts
6,989 battles
46 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

+1.

Those 3 skills and then you can choose between BFT and DE and some other 1 point skill.  Atlanta really needs 18 points.  BUT... if you like operations it is the best Narai ship in the game.  Getting those points will take you much less time than any other way in the game... and then when you get 19 it will keep on giving.  Wearing the right flags I have had 50,000 elite cap points in one game in Atlanta in Narai before. 

And, honestly, in Narai she doesn't even need the concealment. My boyfriend likes to take her into Narai with just IFHE and AFT, as, well... the only consistently threatening bot is Mo. 

[INTEL]
Members
11,345 posts
31,808 battles
4 hours ago, aether_tech said:

Also, don't plan on using Atlanta torps.... they happen, but rarely.

oh yes. There is no joy like face torping a Gneisenau in Atlanta. Surprise!

[INTEL]
Members
11,345 posts
31,808 battles
6 hours ago, LittleBush said:

You dont need concealment -- use the 4 points for manual AA. In this meta that will pay off better. Basically, if you plan your island positioning properly, and turn off when you need to, you won't need the extra km of detect provided by the 4 point expenditure. If you're caught in open water, you'll be wrecked anyway. 

I've never run conceal on my Atlanta, and I do ok in it. But I got Flint, and since then, my Atlanta has been pining away in port while I romp with my new waifu.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,109 posts
6,989 battles
35 minutes ago, StarShip_Enterprize said:

All I can say is this ship is good against dds and some cruisers at close range.  Anything over 9km and you  pray to hit something no matter how good your aim. I bought it and played it and didn't bother with it.  Not even when I am in desperate need of a premium ship to farm credits do I play this.  I should have bought the Belfast instead. If you're good at hiding (depending on the map) this ship is for you.  If not and you can't even aim in any other cruiser, expect to have a hard time with this ship.

This was a complete waste of my money. I outplay Atlanta players is dd's, no torpedoes and stock tier 6 and 7 ships.

Honestly, at longer ranges the skill is less akin to aiming and more along the lines of course prediction, as even the slightest turn of a ship applies so much chaos to not just their course, but their current speed and how much the ship drifts. Put all that together, and certain ships are deceptively difficult to shoot, such as Warspite and her silly amount of wiggle... Combine all that with a 4.5 sec reload, and it's asking a lot. As a BB it's just something I've gotten used to, however, as sometimes a DD needs to die bad enough to fire from 15-20km off to make guessing where they will be in 10 seconds worth it.

[INTEL]
Members
11,345 posts
31,808 battles
10 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Honestly, at longer ranges the skill is less akin to aiming and more along the lines of course prediction, as even the slightest turn of a ship applies so much chaos to not just their course, but their current speed and how much the ship drifts. Put all that together, and certain ships are deceptively difficult to shoot, such as Warspite and her silly amount of wiggle... Combine all that with a 4.5 sec reload, and it's asking a lot. As a BB it's just something I've gotten used to, however, as sometimes a DD needs to die bad enough to fire from 15-20km off to make guessing where they will be in 10 seconds worth it.

I just fire the turrets individually in slight different spots unless I know the BB driver to be an idiot, and get hits out to the limit of Atlanta's AFT-enhanced range. It's not hard. The hard part is hitting fast moving DDs at 7 kms. LOL. 

Members
3,935 posts
4,205 battles
1 hour ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

1 hour ago, Amgen said:

It has glaring flaws without at least 2 4 point skills. It really requires a 19 pointer to do what you want to do with it.

1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

It can work with a 10pt captain but I would recommend at least a 14-15pt to be fairly enjoyable. 

-If you go with CE you'll lack range and be forced to play at suicidal range (can be tricky when there's no cover)

-If you go with IFHE, you'll lack range again

-If you go for AFT, you'll have to be very good at aiming the superstructure against everything that isn't a DD.

I see. Interesting to know. 

[WOLF3]
Members
22,417 posts
20,527 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

oh yes. There is no joy like face torping a Gneisenau in Atlanta. Surprise!

I've said it many times before, but if you're a BB that gets sunk by Atlanta torpedoes, you deserved that and probably need to uninstall :Smile_teethhappy:

Anyways, Atlanta was where I truly learned to "Cruiser."  I bought her and Atago when my highest tier of experience was Tier V Omaha.  I got spanked so hard.  I kept on playing Atlanta, getting deleted.  Eventually I got tired of getting rekt so much that I really started paying attention to what I was doing and got better as a Cruiser player.  Yamato was where I learned to be a Tier X BB (you'll see that in my Tier X BB stats :Smile_trollface:).  Atlanta was where I spent a lot of time and got schooled (hard) on how to survive as a Cruiser.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[U571]
Members
2,025 posts
13,944 battles

Atlanta is a proverbial annoying gnat, that will will make you think the death by a 1000 paper cuts, the worst way to go.  Yes cold molasses will stop more shells than the Atlanta's Armor but it is a fun fun bote.

Beta Testers
876 posts
9 hours ago, yacskn said:

I'm one of the better Atlanta players in the server and I love the ship.

But I haven't played it since shortly after the CV rework. Atlanta was one of the ships that got royally screwed by the new AA system as pretty much all of its useful AA is concentrated on the long-range aura and the long-range aura used to be, and mostly still is, practically useless.

Mind you, the main issue with AA that's ineffective is the constant aerial spotting, be it by the CV or catapult launched planes, which hurts the Atlanta quite severely as it relies on stealth to move about the map and reposition.

It doesn't help that Atlanta is a prized target for the red team and anyone worth their salt wants to focus it down to ashes... including CVs.

It is an awesome ship to harvest Free XP and credits in Narai though.

Edit: Oh, you definitely cannot shoot over every island. Depends on how close you are an how low the island is.

I’m with you, I love the ship.  Especially in scenario missions. I rake in on Narai, 200k is fairly easy.   It is a difficult ship to play in randoms, and that’s just the nature of the beast.  It is a tactical gem in the hands of the right person, and yes, I do need a 19 pt. Capt in her because I can use all the help I can get!  :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
276 posts
14 hours ago, capncrunch21 said:

And if you wonder why the Atlanta-class has 5" guns and torpedos: it was originally built to be a destroyer flotilla leader, so it was armed with the same weapons as the DDs it would be leading, even had a refit where sonar and depth charge launchers were fitted. 

It was then repurposed into a scout/AA cruiser, and had a bit of a problem with that role because it only had two main gun directors, a problem that was exacerbated when they played "bolt all the AA guns to it" in the last refits. The former flag officer/staff space was used for AA gunners. They also ended up seriously overweight, even more so than the Cleveland-class, which is why the Oakland onwards and the Juneau-class dropped two of the 5"/38 mounts. 

They were commissioned as CLs rather than DLs because of the displacement. Ships that large counted against a nation's cruiser tonnage in the WNT/LNT, so they became CLs.