You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SkaerKrow

Clean Up Your Act

136 comments in this topic

Members
231 posts
79 battles
5 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I dropped out of this game for a week starting last Monday. I was burned out from Rogue Wave, and after a series of games where emotionally stunted individuals decided to take a whiz on myself and others in chat (while we were crushing their battle results, of course), I decided that I needed a break, as the game no longer felt particularly fun. Fast forward to today, where I finally load World of Warships (my favorite game) up for the first time in six days. In my first match I end up with a teammate (from one of those vaunted purple clans) who was so enraged by the fact that I didn't die quickly enough in my Benham that he began broadcasting my position to the enemy in chat, and trying to help them correct their aim to blind fire me. I got two of three caps in the game, and three of our sixish kills, with over 100k damage, so I don't know what I did to offend him other than be better than he is.

Wargaming, you have a problem. The community surrounding this game is awful, and you've let the toxicity linger for too long. This isn't World of Tanks bad, where you see a simple "(Expletive) you" in every other game; this is targeted harassment by people that have no fear of reprisals from the game's moderation team. Whatever penalties that exist for chat collusion, hate speech, and harassment need to be significantly increased to curtail the worst of your playerbase from making their garbage behavior become the norm. Right now the worst thing in your game isn't the incomplete state of CVs or any measure of ship balance, it's the people who use the game as their emotional toilet.

Yes, I submitted a ticket about Mr. Purple Clan Chat Cheater, with a screenshot. No, I have no confidence that anything will come of it. And that's a problem.

Al WG needs to do is disable chat once you sink.  99% of the toxicity comes from sabotaging $#&^s that suicide in 3-5 minutes and spend the rest of the match blaming the team.  Disable their chat and maybe they will finally wake up to the fact that they are the biggest cancer to this game and put a little effort into taking personal accountability for the health of their ship.

They do it in Savage Battles, it belongs in Random mode as well.

Edited by A_Burning_Sensation
  • Cool 16

[NSC]
Members
1,744 posts
6 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I dropped out of this game for a week starting last Monday. I was burned out from Rogue Wave, and after a series of games where emotionally stunted individuals decided to take a whiz on myself and others in chat (while we were crushing their battle results, of course), I decided that I needed a break, as the game no longer felt particularly fun. Fast forward to today, where I finally load World of Warships (my favorite game) up for the first time in six days. In my first match I end up with a teammate (from one of those vaunted purple clans) who was so enraged by the fact that I didn't die quickly enough in my Benham that he began broadcasting my position to the enemy in chat, and trying to help them correct their aim to blind fire me. I got two of three caps in the game, and three of our sixish kills, with over 100k damage, so I don't know what I did to offend him other than be better than he is.

Wargaming, you have a problem. The community surrounding this game is awful, and you've let the toxicity linger for too long. This isn't World of Tanks bad, where you see a simple "(Expletive) you" in every other game; this is targeted harassment by people that have no fear of reprisals from the game's moderation team. Whatever penalties that exist for chat collusion, hate speech, and harassment need to be significantly increased to curtail the worst of your playerbase from making their garbage behavior become the norm. Right now the worst thing in your game isn't the incomplete state of CVs or any measure of ship balance, it's the people who use the game as their emotional toilet.

Yes, I submitted a ticket about Mr. Purple Clan Chat Cheater, with a screenshot. No, I have no confidence that anything will come of it. And that's a problem.

I agree with you and see the same things too. Seems like the player base at large don't care enough.

Members
260 posts
10,022 battles

I've encountered my share of toxic team mates, but I don't recall anything quite THAT bad.  Annoying as h3!!, but the good news is that these folk are a small minority of players.  A tiny minority.  They make racket way beyond their numbers, and make the game unpleasant for the majority, but they aren't the majority.  The majority of us will be happy to have you in a game with us.  After all, without other players - lots of other players - we wouldn't have the game to enjoy.

• Cool 2

[SSN]
Supertester
1,233 posts
7,063 battles

Some of the problem is just inherent to Internet gaming.  You're going to get those kids who just want to cause problems.  Even if WG banned them they would just make a new account and start all over with even more zeal.  You see that here on the forums all the time.  I've just gotten to the point where I use Asland's to disable the chat all together.  Yes it puts me at a handicap when it comes to communication but it also keeps my own temper in check at times.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
9 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

I've encountered my share of toxic team mates, but I don't recall anything quite THAT bad.  Annoying as h3!!, but the good news is that these folk are a small minority of players.  A tiny minority.  They make racket way beyond their numbers, and make the game unpleasant for the majority, but they aren't the majority.  The majority of us will be happy to have you in a game with us.  After all, without other players - lots of other players - we wouldn't have the game to enjoy.

I am with you.  Toxic players are NOT a big issue, IMO, in Warships.  Now in World of Tanks? Sick. Bad. I hardly play it anymore.

[IXM]
Members
599 posts
3,285 battles
2 minutes ago, Ghost_Raven75 said:

Some of the problem is just inherent to Internet gaming.  You're going to get those kids who just want to cause problems.  Even if WG banned them they would just make a new account and start all over with even more zeal.  You see that here on the forums all the time.  I've just gotten to the point where I use Asland's to disable the chat all together.  Yes it puts me at a handicap when it comes to communication but it also keeps my own temper in check at times.

This. Every gaming community has toxic people. There's no way to get rid of them or hope they won't be in a particular community, or ask WG or whoever to do something about them. They're going to be there, and they're going to be annoying.

[TARK]
Members
4,087 posts
1,616 battles
34 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Yup. It's a problem.

It's one of the reasons I don't recommend the game to other people.

15 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Nope.

It's about a quarter of the people I run into in random battle.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[SALVO]
Members
22,909 posts
23,457 battles
36 minutes ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

Al WG needs to do is disable chat once you sink.  99% of the toxicity comes from sabotaging $#&^s that suicide in 3-5 minutes and spend the rest of the match blaming the team.  Disable their chat and maybe they will finally wake up to the fact that they are the biggest cancer to this game and put a little effort into taking personal accountability for the health of their ship.

They do it in Savage Battles, it belongs in Random mode as well.

I agree that they should disable chat for sunk ships.  I also think that they should disable the entire ALL chat channel.

I won't say that everyone that gets killed that quickly is outright suiciding.  But some are hyper aggressive dolts who think that if the team didn't charge forward with them that the rest of the team is to blame for their early death.  They don't take any  responsibility for their stupid actions.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,909 posts
23,457 battles
10 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

This. Every gaming community has toxic people. There's no way to get rid of them or hope they won't be in a particular community, or ask WG or whoever to do something about them. They're going to be there, and they're going to be annoying.

I think that the fact that the game is free to play also contributes.  After all, do you really think that banned players would regularly create new accounts if they had to pay to play, rather than play for free?  I don't.

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
391 posts
41 minutes ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

I used to say "You're supposed to be dead, try to act like it", but I've had chat disabled for over a year now, and it's the best thing I ever did.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,288 posts
15 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

Game didn't used to be like this...sure it had some trolls, but it was nothing like the behavior people have been seeing recently.

[SALVO]
Members
22,909 posts
23,457 battles
45 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Para 1:  Maybe he had already been sunk, your team was losing, and he just wanted the battle to get done faster.  I've been in that situation before where you get a salty team mate who just wants to get back to port ASAP so that he can start another battle with the same ship.  The solution here is simple.  Remove the ALL chat channel.  That would prevent any use of in game chat to do this.  And yes, you were right to submit a ticket on the guy giving away your position.  

Para 2:  I have to disagree.  I don't think that WoWS is bad at all, certainly not compared to WoT.  If you can't handle the occasional "(bleep) you", I'd say that you need to grow a thicker skin.  OTOH, regarding outright hate speech, I haven't seen any of that in quite a while.  For a time there was a good deal of it.  But it seems to have toned down a lot over the past year.  Remember that this is supposed to be a game for ADULTS, not little kiddies.  And adults will occasionally swear when they're frustrated.  To me, if all I see is some occasional swearing, I'm not going to get bent about it.  But if I start seeing actual hate speech and true harassment, I will submit tickets.  I've done so often in the past and will continue to do so in the future.  But I can say that it's been quite a while since I've submitted a ticket for this sort of thing.

• Cool 1

[IXM]
Members
599 posts
3,285 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I think that the fact that the game is free to play also contributes.  After all, do you really think that banned players would regularly create new accounts if they had to pay to play, rather than play for free?  I don't.

Of course being free to play doesn't help at all. There's no barrier so anyone can just join up and do whatever they want. And as Youtube has proven, there is actual money to be made wrecking other people's gaming experiences, sadly.

2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Game didn't used to be like this...sure it had some trolls, but it was nothing like the behavior people have been seeing recently.

When a game reaches/has reached maturity, you get a lot more toxicity, just look at WoT. This game is way past its prime imo, and can only go downhill from here.

[SALVO]
Members
22,909 posts
23,457 battles
2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I'm sorry, awiggin, but you're wrong, at least from my experience.  In my experience, it was MUCH worse in the past.  It's pretty damned tame now.  But in past years, I was regularly having to submit tickets on people for function key spamming, actual hate speech, homophobic slurs, anti-semetic slurs, racist slurs, and so on and so on.  But it's much, MUCH better now.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 1

Members
231 posts
79 battles
9 minutes ago, z9_ said:

I used to say "You're supposed to be dead, try to act like it", but I've had chat disabled for over a year now, and it's the best thing I ever did.

Yeah but below avg players need chat so they can learn from better players.  Hiding stats and chat is just a recurring behavior pattern of running away instead of facing challenges head on and overcoming them.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Members
5,397 posts
3,213 battles

I sympathize with you but I fear that's just the nature of online games. Punishing trolls/griefers i always a game of catch and is horribly inefficient. Even League of Legends, the most popular and wealthiest online game on the planet has a very hard time actually punishing extreme toxicity or intentional throwing unless they get reported en masse on multiple occasions. I'm sure there's more WG could do, but this is the nature of the beast that online gaming. You're gonna encounter a-holes and idiots, more than once.

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
391 posts
1 minute ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

Hiding stats and chat is just a recurring behavior pattern of running away instead of facing challenges head on and overcoming them.

What can I say? You can't fix 'stupid'.

Also, it's impractical. I can't handhold 7 billion individuals to teach them all how to do e-mail. At some point they need to learn how to learn.

Members
5,026 posts
8,503 battles

But several folks in this forum have noted that things HAVE happened when reported to WG so the assumption that nothing will happen is wrong and nothing they do will be good enough to change any minds.  Biggest problem is - no way to really ban a player when free email can be gotten easily and most IP addresses are dynamic.

Edited by CylonRed

[INTEL]
Members
11,334 posts
31,791 battles
17 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'm sorry, awiggin, but you're wrong, at least from my experience.  In my experience, it was MUCH worse in the past.  It's pretty damned tame now.  But in past years, I was regularly having to submit tickets on people for function key spamming, actual hate speech, homophobic slurs, anti-semetic slurs, racist slurs, and so on and so on.  But it's much, MUCH better now.

Agreed. I haven't seen a racist comment in ages. Compared to a couple of other online games I've played, this place is heaven.

• Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
2,096 posts
6,986 battles

Honestly, so long as you have proof, they can do something. They can't tell you what they are going to do, which is more a legal thing, so taking their word is the best you can really do.

Members
260 posts
10,022 battles
2 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Nope.

It's about a quarter of the people I run into in random battle.

Really?  That doesn't sound like my experience, so...I did a fast, non-scientific experiment.  I just played 5 battles in a row, in ships from T3 to T8.  The range of ships in the battles was from T3 to T10.  That's a total of 60 team-mates...or 55, if you think I shouldn't count.  In these 5 battles, I encountered not one single example of anything I considered toxic in chat.  The closest was a couple team mates bantering about what they considered a stupid move by a player on the other team.  But they kept it to OUR team chat, so the guy on the other team never saw any of it.  To me, that doesn't count, though your tolerance will certainly be different from mine.

This is admittedly a small, non-random sample, but it's the only actual data I have, so make of it what you will.  Still, it doesn't sound like 1 in 4 to me.

For what it's worth...

• Cool 2

[Y0L0]
Members
10,054 posts
15,002 battles

I've rarely if ever ran into this type of behavior.  Since coming back after a year off, my karma has increased about 100 point as well.  If you get lot of poor response, may be it is time to look at yourself in the mirror and see why such a thing keep happening.  Seems like certain players seems to attract poor behavior .

• Angry 1