You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

BB Spotter Planes

8 comments in this topic

Members
4,165 posts
9,389 battles

OK it's a beef of mine, and I have learned to use spotters... "ok but not great", but I really just want fighters on my BBs. It has gotten to the point where every time I hover above the Bayern, a BB I am good at (59% WR over 100+ battles is good for me), I am feeling "nah dammit I just don't want the spotter plane I want a fighter." And if my time to play is limited I will pass over the Bayern.

Comments on other BB players with their spotter planes?

[SALVO]
Members
22,921 posts
23,472 battles

Cat fighters are definitely preferable when there are CVs in the battle.  They're an easy way to enhance your AA defenses.

[TF16B]
Modder
495 posts
674 battles

I primarily play CV’s and seeing a fighter overhead is definitely a deterrent. Totally means the difference between risking it and turning away and looking for another target of opportunity.

Members
4,165 posts
9,389 battles
1 minute ago, Mailman653 said:

I primarily play CV’s and seeing a fighter overhead is definitely a deterrent. Totally means the difference between risking it and turning away and looking for another target of opportunity.

True dat. I rest my case.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,909 posts
3,211 battles

Spotter is more useful IMO. Is up longer and gives that elevated view. Fighters got changed so no more Econo-Hydro and they are only up for a minute. Now they are better at air defense, but I’ve found that unless I really anticipate the attack, they don’t do much because by the time they’ve launched and got to altitude the strike is in. And you can’t launch too pre-emptively because they only last a minute. So the spotter is just more useful.

I should say I play USN BBS, so the little extra the fighter gives me on top of the excellent AA makes it even more not worth it. It may be different for other lines.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,109 posts
6,989 battles

Depends on the ship. US tend to be best for spotter, as they often have the higher arcs, which is a useful asset to have against island campers and smoke. Likewise, their AA tends to be lovely higher up.

And then you have IJN BBs, who have horrible AA, so need the fighter far more.

KM BBs... honestly have such horrific accuracy that half of the effect of a spotter would be a roll of the dice to hit or not.

In the end it comes down to playstyle and one's own ship. Certain ships need one, certain ships need the other. That said, in the current temporary meta of SUPER AA, fighters are less necessary, as they are more likely to scare off a CV whose planes you could be using as a base xp chew toy.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup