Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

AA is all over the place

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,005 posts
1,436 battles

So I started into the CV line more after being back for a bit and I'm just confounded by AA. It's far from consistent. If your a CV who's top tier then enemy AA might as well not bother. However if you have ships the same tier or higher you even look vaguely in an enemy ships direction you lost 3 planes from even thinking about going that way.

There's no consistency and it makes it harder to judge good attack routes. Mountains provide good cover and surprise attacks but that only makes up for so much.

I had a Colorado I got 3 full passes on and still had 5 planes left after all was said and done (I was in a tier 8 CV). Then in that same game had a Benham (Tier 9 DD) wipe out 9 planes in a handful of seconds. It seems very inconsistent.

Is it just a me thing? Is there something I'm missing?

[SALVO]
Members
22,980 posts
23,611 battles
32 minutes ago, otakuben said:

So I started into the CV line more after being back for a bit and I'm just confounded by AA. It's far from consistent. If your a CV who's top tier then enemy AA might as well not bother. However if you have ships the same tier or higher you even look vaguely in an enemy ships direction you lost 3 planes from even thinking about going that way.

There's no consistency and it makes it harder to judge good attack routes. Mountains provide good cover and surprise attacks but that only makes up for so much.

I had a Colorado I got 3 full passes on and still had 5 planes left after all was said and done (I was in a tier 8 CV). Then in that same game had a Benham (Tier 9 DD) wipe out 9 planes in a handful of seconds. It seems very inconsistent.

The Colorado doesn't have DefAA.  The Benham has the option of mounting DefAA.

Edited by Crucis

[TF16B]
Modder
503 posts
678 battles

Especially when you’re up tiered, best bet is to just scout for your side, pounce on targets of opportunity and hope that late in the match, everyone is spread out and doesn’t have overlapping AA arcs. 

[5D]
Members
851 posts
10,517 battles

Best way to play CV right now is not to play CV AA has been buff way too much 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CNO]
Members
5,189 posts
16,310 battles
19 hours ago, otakuben said:

It's hard to explain, but other than learning which ships have DFAA (you can't tell from the stat screen), there is just a feel you get over time for which ship to go after.  You also have to learn to dodge the flak.  You can't do this perfectly...but if you don't learn to weave a bit, you're going to get smacked hard.  One burst can wipe your squadron...or drop it enough that the persistent AA eats the rest of your HP.

There is also a balance between putting damage on targets and conserving planes.  If you lose a close game and still have full squadrons, you played too conservatively.  If you lose a close game and are de-planned...you probably played too aggressively.   This is all dynamic...based on how a game is unfolding.  If you see your team slipping, sometimes you just gotta take chances to give advantage.  If you see your team in a favorable attrition tempo, then conservation is good because having a good punch in the end game will help a lot.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,816 posts
13,870 battles

Ignore USN ships, their AA is broken strong.

17 hours ago, dad003 said:

Best way to play CV right now is not to play CV AA has been buff way too much 

Also, this. Just bother dont play with cvs atm, they will need buff it to make people play again.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,816 posts
13,870 battles
9 minutes ago, I_Potato_Ther4_I_Yam said:

Probably pointless to bring this up but I’ve noticed AA still firing through island terrain. 

Its depends from the island height.

Sign in to follow this