Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Granitebeard

Turn off last known position

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Alpha Tester
1,635 posts
9,525 battles

So I was traveling for work for about a month and had very little time to play. These last few days, I have noticed that the "last known position" setting for the minimap is on. I noticed in some patch notes that there were some minimap changes that happened. I went into the in match minimap settings and the toggle for this is now gone. How does one shut this off now? I am not a fan of it, and feels it distracts more than helps so would like to turn it off.

  • Funny 1
  • Confused 10
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
273
[CUTE]
Members
458 posts
15,274 battles

The option should still be there, though I can't see how it is a distraction... It provides valuable info on potential areas that ships are working in

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,405
[CRMSN]
Members
8,833 posts
9,711 battles
13 minutes ago, Hatsuzuki_DD said:

The option should still be there, though I can't see how it is a distraction... It provides valuable info on potential areas that ships are working in

Very much this. That info could, and should, keep you on the water, instead of under it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,997
[SALVO]
Members
22,969 posts
23,561 battles
26 minutes ago, Granitebeard said:

So I was traveling for work for about a month and had very little time to play. These last few days, I have noticed that the "last known position" setting for the minimap is on. I noticed in some patch notes that there were some minimap changes that happened. I went into the in match minimap settings and the toggle for this is now gone. How does one shut this off now? I am not a fan of it, and feels it distracts more than helps so would like to turn it off.

In the last update, some changes were made to the minimap and the options for greater ease of use for the average player (IIRC).  The devs probably discovered that a LOT of players really weren't aware of and/or using some of the past options for the minimap, and so set some of the most important ones to default on.  I think that last known position was one of these.  As for how to turn it off, I don't know at the moment.  I always use it because it's a super useful piece of information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
627 posts
3,208 battles

I think the patch notes said that some of those options were moved to the main settings menu, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I side with the others, that is valuable information that is good to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,635 posts
9,525 battles
1 minute ago, CO_Valle said:

I think the patch notes said that some of those options were moved to the main settings menu, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I side with the others, that is valuable information that is good to have.

If it is there I can't find it... And to the others, it is not in the normal mini map settings.

 

I understand most people like this, but it is something that really bothers me with how games are transforming these days. I have played games for years without this "benefit." Part of the fun for me, is making sure I am paying enough attention, to know where they were without an aid. In my eyes this game is a shadow of what it was, and this just makes me sadder.

  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,082
[O-PN]
Members
2,108 posts
4,424 battles

So um, in a game where intelligence is an extremely important variable, you want to just ignore it.  You and the Mini-M should be buddies, you should observe your buddy frequently.  Ghosts  or shadows as I like to call them show you the last known position of a floating ship -- as in not sunk.  Using a little deductive reasoning, you can get a pretty good idea the location of a ship.  If you view the map frequently, as you should, you can have a good idea of where an enemy ship is at a given time, especially if you've paid attention to where your team has been.  Granted there's always going to be that one that literally will hide instead of going for an objective / trying to turn the game for their favor.  Not much you can do about that except remind them that regardless if your ship is sunk or has 100% health, the end-game costs are the same.  Never understood the obsession with keeping the hull afloat.  When a game is done, let it end.  People got stuff to do, more ships to sink.

As to WHY this was done --- because where a person can be smart, people are generally stupid.  It's to put everyone on a level playing field.  Especially with CV spotting.  They had turned it off for CVs, and the mini map mods still enabled it so they turned it on for everyone all of the time.

Edited by NoSoMo
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
566
[NSC]
Members
1,758 posts

@Granitebeard I sympathize with you. Having more options is never bad (in this case at least). While I personally like "Last known position indicator," I will not force everybody to like it as well.

I looked at in-game settings (by pressing 'Esc') and minimap settings (only accessible in-battle by pressing the gear on top of the minimap) for ~5 minutes. It seems like "Last known position indicator" cannot currently be turned off.  Sorry that I can't help with this.:Smile_sad:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
126
[FYL]
Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

It WAS there after release and it was intended to function. There was a bug and for some reason you couldn't turn it off with the button - so I guess they couldn't figure out how to fix it and removed the button for now? It's stuck on for everyone now. I do not know if they have further plans, maybe @Sub_Octavian knows something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
886
[WOLFC]
Members
2,143 posts
12,111 battles

I hate having to Mod the game, but there are some MiniMap options available in Aslains.  Don't know if any would help you, but you could check them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
742
[EQRN]
Members
1,618 posts
13,579 battles
6 hours ago, Granitebeard said:

In my eyes this game is a shadow of what it was, and this just makes me sadder.

I know, 24 people enter a match, 12 walk away winners, and 12 losers - man how times have changed :cap_old:

  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,635 posts
9,525 battles
7 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I know, 24 people enter a match, 12 walk away winners, and 12 losers - man how times have changed :cap_old:

Not even remotely close to what I am talking about...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,309
[WOLFG]
Members
24,855 posts
6,166 battles
12 hours ago, aether_tech said:

Why would you ever want to turn off a free information setting?

If you don't need it, it's clutter.

It's like crosshairs for me. I use the most minimal one possible, because I aim by eye. All the lines and hash marks are just distraction for me. Ultimately, I would like the reticle to be a highly visible dot, and nothing else. If I knew how, I would mod it accordingly.

Also, sometimes the info is presented in a fashion that makes it more trouble than it's worth. I like being able to see ship names on the minimap, but clutter sometimes makes it hard to see which ship belongs to which tag, and can obscure the icons enough that I can't make out the facing.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,635 posts
9,525 battles
49 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

If you don't need it, it's clutter.

It's like crosshairs for me. I use the most minimal one possible, because I aim by eye. All the lines and hash marks are just distraction for me. Ultimately, I would like the reticle to be a highly visible dot, and nothing else. If I knew how, I would mod it accordingly.

Also, sometimes the info is presented in a fashion that makes it more trouble than it's worth. I like being able to see ship names on the minimap, but clutter sometimes makes it hard to see which ship belongs to which tag, and can obscure the icons enough that I can't make out the facing.

This is pretty much my thoughts and opinion on this function in the game. And I also agree on the crosshairs part I use the most basic one for me as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[NFE]
Members
349 posts
3,103 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

I like being able to see ship names on the minimap,

I turned this on by accident for a couple weeks and hated it. Personal choice, I suppose. I love Last Known Position as a DD main, because if the only remaining red DDs are on the other side of the map, I know I can stalk BBs at will. If one is still on my side, I need to be careful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×