You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Summer Savings Deals: what have people been buying, and what are you still hoping for?

147 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
15,087 posts
9,812 battles

Perth was an insta-buy at 50% off. First money I've spent on the game this calendar year. 

Bizarrely, I got the Krasny Krym because I wanted to know what all the fuss was about and CDN $10 didn't seem too much to spend to find out. I have yet to try her in randoms, but she's fun in co-op and she takes my BFT/AFT Russian destroyer captains without skipping a beat.

Picked up the Mutsu this morning because she seemed interesting and I would like to see if I'm right about the torpedoes in co-op and operations. Haven't had an opportunity to play her yet.

I haven't bought any package deals. Alabama was tempting, BUT I do not think I could do the Asashio justice or my team-mates any favours by bringing her, so I am loath to spend money on random boxes if that means I could get her. Marblehead would have given me Lima and Okt Rev automatically and closed out the list of "dud T5 premiums", but unlike the T8 Black ships whose module setups offer a lot more variety, I see much less value in having duplicate Tier 5's (input is welcome on this matter from those lucky enough to have more than one Kamikaze/Fujin). 

I would be interested to know what people ended up with, and in particular whether they got ships they might otherwise never have considered yet found themselves enjoying them.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[EQRN]
Members
1,608 posts
13,436 battles

Most don’t seem to like Mutsu, but I like her.  If you get some good DD/CV spotting, popping your spotter and landing cits at extreme range is one of the most rewarding things I’ve done in this game.  And torping DDs that try to yolo you?  Also priceless.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
669 posts

have bought nothing, being poor helps that lol

as Marauder playing with few different ships like the perth

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
2,096 posts
11,964 battles

I've been interested in Perth for awhile, and it was the best deal I've seen on her ... but that's been it.  The others haven't been worth it (in the single ship category).  No interest in loot boxes, regardless of content.

Edited by DocWalker
  • Cool 1

[FYL]
Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

Nothing yet, though I did mean to get the Mutsu but didn't get back to my computer in time and didn't check the deadline. The t8s and 5 bundles are pure no-go asthey have variants of ships I already own and would consider a duplicate of the same as no return (Limas and two variants of my Blacks). I am very ready to buy the t7 package deals if they offer a title ship I don't own, I don't want to pay the normal price for 20ish dollars of doubloons. T7 and 8 are my favorite ranks so hopefully there's still time for me to get something and not forget about it before the deadline!

[HYDRO]
Members
3,677 posts
5,280 battles

Got Sims, hopefully Dynamo will return at some point as well.

Hoping for Haida to be honest, this  ship has been held in ransom in the premium shop for far too long.

Edited by warheart1992

[WOLF2]
Members
246 posts
6,341 battles

I'm hoping for a cheap Haida, as I think my 16 pt. Perth and Vampire captain would work nicely on her. Also wouldn't mind an Indianapolis as my Des Moines captain would make a good swap and I enjoy the nail-biting cruiser style of gameplay.

[WOLFC]
Members
749 posts
6,085 battles

I also opened my wallet for the first time since the PEF event. I purchased the Sims and Hood as standalones and have been having a blast with them in Narai. I plan to get a few more ops or coop games under my belt before I take them into Randoms. I also picked up the T-61 bundle and got Anshan and... Huanghe. :Smile_sceptic: I haven't had a lot success with T-61 in Randoms, but I can tell that once I get my DD skills up to par her and I will have a lot of fun together. Anshan was a pleasant surprise, since that Free XP bonus on the camo will make her very useful for farming tier 6 ops. As for the other boat... I'm hoping things will start to look up once I get the hang of the "creeping smoke." Regardless, maybe I'll start on the Pan-Asian DD line, as I now have 2 premiums where I had none before.

As far as what I'm hoping for, I'd like to see Prinz Eugen show up before the sale is over. Hipper is probably my favorite heavy cruiser I've gotten my hands on, and a premium version with a heal is very attractive.

[RLGN]
Members
12,018 posts
21,513 battles

Nothing? Had most of them already anyway, (bought them, or Christmas containers.)

@Ensign_Cthulhu treat The Donut like a smokeless destroyer with a citadel. Cover, cover, more cover, and hug rocks like a dakimakura pillow.

Stay close to your destroyers and murder the Red ones with your massed guns. I kind of treat it/play it like my Podvoisky.

[-KAK-]
Members
124 posts
5,189 battles

This event has been more appealing than the crates since you have an idea of what you're getting. Went for Boise and Atlanta packs.

I would never call myself a 'DD main' but I guess WG wants me to play them since I got z-39, Blysk, Haidi, and Leningrad

[O_O]
Members
5,695 posts
13,012 battles

I bought the Texas bundle because I needed the doubloons for Rogue Wave crates and Benham.  I got Krasny Krym and Marblehead Lima as a bonus.

I am still hoping Haida comes up for 50% off.

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,018 posts
2,953 battles

There are a few that I might buy if they come across the single ship sale. Not touching the loot box deals, even though two ships I actually want passed thru there.

Members
1,093 posts
1,756 battles

I've been enjoying co-op with french heavy cruisers to the point I've decided to spend some money on the game again.  That and the way AA has been changed since 8.5 has meant I've actually spent a bit of time in random when the mood strikes.

I picked up the Alabama as it's a ship I've wanted since I started playing the game since I used to spend weekend trips with the Boy Scouts on the ship as a kid.  I also got the Massachusetts which I've been wanting to try and the Asashio which gives me a chance to use deep water torps every now and then.  Getting the Bama and Mass for that price was worth it.

Today I got the Atlanta package for Narai and got the NDJ and Duke of York.  I wanted the Scharnhorst but I'm not disappointed with the NDJ for the operation.  Doesn't hurt me to get some practice with light cruisers since I don't normally use them.

The only thing left of interest for me are a few of the German cruisers and BBs.  I picked up the Georgia as well since it really fits my playstyle in co-op.  

[TF16B]
Modder
493 posts
674 battles

I primary play CV but you can't use those all the time depending on the event so I figured I needed something in between my US IV and my Ger VIII CV's. After a lot of back and forth on various things I decided I needed a tier VII ship. Long story short, I got the Atlanta today and my two ships were I believe a Soviet cruiser and a German DD. From what I've read so far, my new ship has quite the learning curve and coming from a CV to a CL...it feels weird yet satisfying slinging so many HE rounds. :Smile_playing:

[-KAK-]
Members
435 posts
8,431 battles

I've taken three sales. 

First was the Boise triple pack, since I've wanted Boise for a while. Got Scharnhorst (Which I've always wanted to get my hands on) and Nuevo with it. Sure, I essentially got a duplicate ship, but I got two ships I wanted, so I'm OK with it.

Next, I picked up Okhotnik, since she was less than 10$, and I figured why not.

Picked up the Vanguard triple pack last night. Got Kii (Wanted her) and Gascogne (Happy with) in it. Looking at the prices, I basically saved 100$ if I were to have bought each ship individually.

I'm fairly happy overall. Yes, they're still lootboxes. Yes, you can still get burned (Especially if you don't want to play CVs, and buy a T8 pack). That said, if you're not interested in flags or camo, this is probably a better deal than the Christmas crates. You get three ships, one known, two relatively known (You at least know the tier). Even if you buy the 20 pack of Mega-Christmas crates, you're likely to only get 2 or 3 ships, and you're picking from the ENTIRE pool. If you're looking for something specific there, you might as well not try.

Edited by TheOmegaDuck

Members
64 posts
5,220 battles

Sadly nothing, the packs are past the amount I'm willing to spend this month and none of the single ships have really interested me. I'd have liked to pick up something like the atlanta if it had been a single purchase. Or the boise I think, so basically I am futiley hoping they will put a t7 cruiser on single sale before the end. 

[CWM]
Members
461 posts
14,822 battles

Mutsu T6 IJN BB for 50% off at $15.49 was too good to pass on for me!:Smile_ohmy: I'll share my Zucchini 10pt captain with her since there is no re-training penalties when swapping premium ship captains of same nation. I enjoy playing pretty much all T6 thru T10 ships even the crappy ones. :Smile_amazed:

Edited by dust340man

Members
3,932 posts
4,205 battles

So far i've only bought the discounted Mutsu and Atlanta bundle. Mutsu because i figured why not. I liked the Nagato, would have been an excuse to play it again but with more benefits. I would have gotten the Abruzzi bundle, but the cruiser didn't really sound like an exciting prospect. Atlanta on the other hand sounded much more interesting and I wanted more T-VII ships. Getting Hood and Ashitaka out of it was a pretty good deal. 

These are lootboxes, but I like them. You (nearly) always win. It's always a ship, no dups, or you get doubloons if you happen to have them all. Which is a real plus. 

[DPG]
Members
1,715 posts
7,363 battles

I picked up the Duca, and Atlanta bundles.  I wanted to get the Atlanta for a while now and I couldn't pass up the chance of getting it for 20 bucks, plus a couple extra ships.  I already had the Boise so I passed on the Boise bundle, only to get the NDJ with the Duca one.  Overall, I ended up with The Abruzzi, Atlanta, Hood, DoY, NDJ, and Blys.   I suppose the more premium ships I have now, the fewer that can drop from the Santa crates.

Edited by Amenhir

[SIM]
Members
4,205 posts
7,231 battles

The only thing that I’ve purchased lately was the USS Hill bundle, which I got to help me get the Benham. 

[KNMSU]
Members
6,801 posts
7,425 battles

Haven't bought anything; don't plan to buy anything.

Right now, the only three things I am interested in acquiring are steel, coal, and Viribus Unitus.

[WMD]
Members
1,080 posts
7,921 battles

I picked up Boise, got DoY and Lazo in the crates. I wanted DoY, or Hood so it worked out well for me. 

My thinking was no matter what I got it was a win. 

[_RNG_]
Members
218 posts
6,963 battles

T7 is my favorite tier and has some of my most wanted ships and only missing 6 from the pack offerings

Really wanted Boise and Indy

Would very much like Haida, Blys & Z

Abruzzi, meh

Bought the Boise pack and got Abruzzi (of course) and Blys

Then picked up the Abuzzi pack for the Dubs and got Haida and Z

Outfitted the Z and Boise and have really enjoyed them so far.

Budget blown, so no more spending until September at the earliest. Good thing I'm not overly interested in early release french targets.