You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Armory upgrades. Criticle or luxury?

10 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
887 posts

They look good but I never see anyone talking about them in the forums or videos.  Are they just a luxury or  a " secret of the pros" ( That I just gave away ; )   )

Thanks for any input.

Col Out

• Boring 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,815 posts
3,777 battles

For CBs, that radar mod is pretty critical... but otherwise they are just very nice to haves. Not much difference than a 17 point captain from a 19 pointer. Nobody is making Georgia have a 4.5 minute engine boost, but going 40 kts for that long is just hilarious. Another notable one I get is the DCP mod for my ranked Russian BBs. I fully spec for that DCP reload (HA and JoAT), so my uptime is maximized and my downtime is minimized. Very fun to mess with:Smile-_tongue:

[ARGSY]
Members
15,087 posts
9,812 battles

Mostly because people quietly get on with mounting the good ones and ignoring the bad ones. 

The smokescreen mod makes the generator run for longer, but the smoke doesn't hang around as long. The two classes of ship that benefit are the Americans (when laying smoke to cover allies, you can lay a much longer cloud) and ships with "creeping" smoke like the Perth, Haida and Huang He (where having the generator continue to puff as long as possible as you crawl forward in it is the whole point of the play style).

The speed boost mod is of obvious use for fast DD gunboats that sometimes (Russians) or always (French) go without a smokescreen, and for those battleships that have it.

I wasn't sure DCP mod was ever useful, but @_1204_ has mentioned the obvious benefactors.

Also, lots of people are hoarding coal to get ships as soon as possible after they just got the last one, and those modules are less important to them. 

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,108 posts
10,571 battles
2 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

They look good but I never see anyone talking about them in the forums or videos.  Are they just a luxury or  a " secret of the pros" ( That I just gave away ; )   )

Thanks for any input.

Col Out

Before the vast influx if coal ships, If you watch YouTube CCs like Flamu talked allot about unique module upgrades for competitive ships; particularly ships that are consumable dependent.

Russian DDs, particularly Tashkent and Khabarovsk benefits immensely from the engine boost consumable; given that they don't have smoke or repair, the French DDs even more so than the Soviets.

For usn/vmf t9-10 cruisers, the radar module is borderline mandatory as it maximizes your utility; especially after the radar nerf that renders ships detected by radar only visible to the radaring ship for the first ~5 seconds? The radar upgrade negates that nerf, especially with the short Soviet radar.

The spotting plane upgrade modulenused to be a huge boost when the spotter would spot torpedoes. But after 0.8.0 where aircraft no longer spot torpedoes and the reduction of aerial spotting, this upgrade has taken a nose dive.

Members
634 posts

When you consider that slot 2 stock mods are nearly worthless, just about anything you can outfit your ship with from the upgraded modules will be a straight up buff.  The powerful ones being Radar, Speed Boost, and Hydro. The radar upgrade is an absolute must on ANY radar ship. Otherwise, you are gimped compared to your competition. Anyone who knows anything about the game runs the upgraded radar mod. Ships like the Daring with long duration hydro go from 180 second to 216 second duration with the upgrade. That's not insignificant in any way.  The Georgia gets a hilariously long 4.5 minutes of speed boost with the upgrade as opposed to 3 minutes stock. Factor in the quick recharge and 4 uses and there aren't many portions of the battle where you aren't blazing right along. So, yeah, they are worth it, and I would even say straight up required for you to be competitive. 

[WOLFC]
Members
617 posts
22,345 battles

Most of the special upgrades are nice to have and you can do fine without them. Some ships really benefit from some of the upgrades, however.

If you have a favorite DD that is good at open water gun boating, like many of the Russian DDs, then the engine boost upgrade is your friend. You can get 3 minutes of engine boost with the upgrade. I imagine the upcoming French DDs are going to benefit greatly from this upgrade since they don't have smoke.

If you have a ship that uses creeping smoke (Haida, Perth, Huang He) then the smoke screen upgrade is absolutely worthwhile. I put the hydro upgrade on these ships, too, so I can keep the hydro going for the entire time I'm using the smoke screen.

If you have a dedicated AA cruiser, you might want to consider the defensive AA upgrade. I think I'd wait for another patch or two before investing in that upgrade however. The interaction between carrier planes and AA is just too volatile right now to know if the investment will be worthwhile from patch to patch.

If you want to harvest DD tears, put the radar upgrade on a cruiser with a high rate of fire. Lighting up a DD for your teammates to shoot at is nice but you want to be able to get in an extra salvo or two yourself with the time provided by the upgrade.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,623 posts
1 hour ago, _1204_ said:

Not much difference than a 17 point captain from a 19 pointer.

There is a big difference.  19 pointers, make more 19 pointers :).

• Funny 1

[ALL41]
Members
476 posts
10,201 battles

I run Speed Boost upgrades to all my high-tier French cruisers and battleships, and my USS Georgia.  

[O-PN]
Members
2,094 posts
4,395 battles

For general play, speed boost is the only viable UPG IMO.  In competition, especially CBs, the upgrades can be the difference between destroying a ship or protecting your own.  Some battles come down to the margin so being able to increase it is an unquestionable edge.  Prolonged radar duration when contesting a cap against a smoked / stealth DD can be the difference between sinking it and it getting away.

[USA]
Beta Testers
304 posts

If you are thinking of playing the German DDs (or God forbid the absolute :etc_swear: Royal Navy ones) then dropping 17k coal for the Hydroacoustic modification isn't a bad investment either.

As others have said: Engine Boost, Radar duration, heck even the smoke screen generator in certain situations is okay. However, once you have a couple of these, there isn't much point in getting any more.