You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
UraraShiraishi

Mutsu

46 comments in this topic

[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles

It's half price. I loved Nagato so much I bought her premium camo

I play Nagato mid range, with the wonderful sigma and dispersion she delivers some nice games

But how about Mutsu? She's a tier lower, a little worse accuracy overall, torps are almost useless unless the enemy bb is almost dead/against really really stupid dd

If I loved Nagato, should I buy her?

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,018 posts
17,121 battles

Yes.

She is an "old" A hull nagato.

Her guns can be surprisingly accurate.  Or troll you to kingdom come.

The most amazing thing is her ability to spam torpedoes...

When one hits, just laugh your butt off.

Overall,  a fun ship, but not OP or as consistent as Nagato. 

Members
761 posts
62 battles
4 minutes ago, UraraShiraishi said:

It's half price. I loved Nagato so much I bought her premium camo

I play Nagato mid range, with the wonderful sigma and dispersion she delivers some nice games

But how about Mutsu? She's a tier lower, a little worse accuracy overall, torps are almost useless unless the enemy bb is almost dead/against really really stupid dd

If I loved Nagato, should I buy her?

Well Mutsu is quite different. Her shells are Type 88 and quite frustrating as they shatter a lot. She doesn’t have the improved sigma either. In result her main guns feel unreliable - a fact a lot of players hate.

She feels also much squishyer than her T7 sister.

That said I LOVE Mutsu. She is fast, her 41cm guns hit like a truck at T6 and the torps are just for a good trolling attempt. She looks great (apart from the banana funnel) and is just a solid T6.

Would I recommend? Yes but with the caveats I described earlier. She isn’t just a premium Nagato, she had her very own identity and needs a little while to get used to 

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
2,093 posts
6,970 battles
2 minutes ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

Yes but with the same reload as the guns 

Isn't it much faster? 21-22 seconds if memory serves. Been forever since I last used her, though, so could be wrong, or I could have had a buffed reload or some such.

[SYN]
Members
3,495 posts
11,927 battles

Not a fan... mostly a meme boat. Crappy guns, crappy armor, no AA*. Speed is middling less than fast. Torps are a gimmick, and you are basically dead if you are in the range/at the angle to use them.

*To be fair, plane numbers are slowly dropping, but if you're me you can be sure you'll see a T8 CV everytime you bring this bucket out and nothing when you bring your AA-spec QE out. Maybe you are super lucky though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you ask me, the Warspite is better in basically every regard.

Edited by pikohan

Members
5,397 posts
3,213 battles

She's garbage. Doesn't get Nagato's shells. So despite having 16" guns on paper, her shells have some of the least penetration at tier 6 among BBs. Also her armor is trash and her torpedoes all but useless. I'd take the Fuso over her any day.

[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
5 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

She's garbage. Doesn't get Nagato's shells. So despite having 16" guns on paper, her shells have some of the least penetration at tier 6 among BBs. Also her armor is trash and her torpedoes all but useless. I'd take the Fuso over her any day.

7 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Not a fan... mostly a meme boat. Crappy guns, crappy armor, no AA*. Speed is middling less than fast. Torps are a gimmick, and you are basically dead if you are in the range/at the angle to use them.

Do you play her at the back or do you play mid range, or do you push as first/second line?

[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
36 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Her guns can be surprisingly accurate.  Or troll you to kingdom come.

The most amazing thing is her ability to spam torpedoes...

When one hits, just laugh your butt off.

Overall,  a fun ship, but not OP or as consistent as Nagato. 

33 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Hilariously fun, and a ship truly like no other. Fair warning: torps are basically full broadside only.

How do you play her?

Members
5,397 posts
3,213 battles
3 minutes ago, UraraShiraishi said:

Do you play her at the back or do you play mid range, or do you push as first/second line?

Both. I play her like i would any IJN BB, being a group I have a lot of experience in. She performs pitifully in that, and just about any other role. Seriously, save your money. There are so many better premiums you can buy.

Members
3,932 posts
4,205 battles

Normally you'ed want to play her beyond the mid range 12-15km, but so does every other stormtrooper approved battleship. So reluctantly you'll have to lead the charge to get something done sometimes. With torpedoes on board you think this would be be somewhat fine, but you have to give broadside for them and its two single launchers that can be knocked out. The ship is alright though. The big guns are nice to have. 

• Cool 1

[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
18 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Normally you'ed want to play her beyond the mid range 12-15km, but so does every other stormtrooper approved battleship. So reluctantly you'll have to lead the charge to get something done sometimes. With torpedoes on board you think this would be be somewhat fine, but you have to give broadside for them and its two single launchers that can be knocked out. The ship is alright though. The big guns are nice to have. 

I normally play my BB's <16km though, as any further and the shells take forever to get there and any slight change in direction of the enemy causes every shell to miss. Sniping is just really not my thing, and I almost never use my spotter anyway. Mid range and pushing (occasionally leading the charge) is the way to go 

Members
3,932 posts
4,205 battles

I don't (like sniping) either, but sadly most of my citadel hits come from long range shots. Not sure about Mutsu yet though. May have to play closer with how the shells are.  

[WOLF3]
Members
22,400 posts
20,518 battles

Tier VI Mutsu doesn't quite have Tier VII Nagato's accuracy.

You also don't have the sheer amount of guns that Fuso has with her 356mm x12.  Mutsu is 410mm x8.

The 410mm gets you definite Overmatch advantages even against all Tier VII and below BBs.  But do realize that 380mm+ armed BBs can do the same to you.

Mutsu's speed is 26.5kts, which is quite respectable for a Tier VI Battleship.  Arizona, New Mexico, West Virginia'41 are about 21kts.  Normandie is 29.5kts for some f--king reason.  So Mutsu is right there in the middle.

The torps?  Gimmicky, trying to feature it will get you rekt.  You may surprise some people that have never seen Mutsu before though.  But the launch angles are horrid, you have to basically be broadside to use them.

Armor?  Well, she *is* tougher than Fuso, but Fuso is poorly protected to begin with.  You have to jealously guard Mutsu's citadel or get rekt.  BADLY.

She's an interesting mirror to same tier West Virginia'41.  Both are 16" armed BBs.  Mutsu is faster, easier to get around but poorly protected.  WV'41 is better armored but that 21kt speed is crippling.

Mutsu has never been a popular BB even for the IJN BB diehards.  What they see is a downtiered, old stock Nagato.  It doesn't get Nagato's powerful Type 91 AP shells, while WV'41 gets Colorado's Tier VII AP shells.  The protection issue for Mutsu stands out.

I also have never seen a Tier VI Ranked Season where Mutsu did well, but Fuso on the other hand, is a star every time Tier VI Ranked happens.  Fuso has awful concealment, awful armor, but her gunnery makes her a darling for many.

Lastly, a big disappointment are the Secondaries on Mutsu.  When you see the sheer amount of Secondaries she has, then you become disappointed with their range.  But then again, you remember how bad her armor is and realize, "It's for the best that I have no temptation to do Secondary Build with Mutsu."

Edit:  Mutsu does have a rather big benefit that Fuso lacks.  Better concealment.

Fuso has the worst possible BB concealment in the game.  Surface detection is a whopping 18.9km.

Mutsu's is 16.92km.  She can control her engagements more easily than Fuso.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,158 posts
13,471 battles

I received Mutsu for free via a supercontainer. 

Personally, I liked and enjoyed the Nagato, but I couldnt really click with the Mutsu.  Only once do I remember having an opportunity to fire her torps, but I forgot that she had them and so missed the opportunity... 

Mutsu simply is not as good.  And she has no AA.  But she also faces T5s a lot more.  But in a T8 battle, she is largely helpless - unlike Nagato that can still fight back. 

Still, you might enjoy her!  There is more to a premium ship than whether she is OP - for instance, whether it matches your playstyle, whether she's right for captain retraining, and whether she prints enough credits to make do.  All of these makes a good premium ship - and if Mutsu works for you, she'll tick those boxes for sure.  

Good luck!

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[TROLO]
Members
420 posts
8,249 battles

Mutsu is too good for this world

• Funny 1

[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles

@HazeGrayUnderway @UltimateNewbie

Thanks to you both for the great informative replies!

I want to ask you two though, how the gunnery felt in Mutsu as compared to Nagato.. mostly accuracy, and then penetration against CL/CA/BB

The reason why I enjoy Nagato so much is mainly her tight groupings after all. And I play her <16km and push with the team. 

[FML]
Members
3,158 posts
13,471 battles
12 minutes ago, UraraShiraishi said:

@HazeGrayUnderway @UltimateNewbie

Thanks to you both for the great informative replies!

I want to ask you two though, how the gunnery felt in Mutsu as compared to Nagato.. mostly accuracy, and then penetration against CL/CA/BB

The reason why I enjoy Nagato so much is mainly her tight groupings after all. And I play her <16km and push with the team. 

Haze might have a different view, but I thought Mutsu's groupings were about the same - its hard to notice a tiny difference in sigma without plumbing the depths of confirmation bias. 

The much, much bigger issue is the shatters - your shells shatter a lot on other battleships, particularly when uptiered.  And you still overpen enemy cruisers just as much as a Nagato.  

The main difference is that Mutsu doesnt face T9s - and the fast reloading, fire spamming ships common at those tiers.  Still, her survivability is a bit on the low side.  

But its important to remember she is a T6 battleship - they would all struggle to hurt T8 battleships.  As such, Mutsu isnt 'terrible' in such a situation, though she still is disadvantaged as her pen isnt quite high enough... moral of the story is that when uptiered, you focus on cruisers almost exclusively. And  when not uptiered (ie, you're top tier) I'd stay a touch closer to the battle, say 12-14km with an escape route ready to place into immediate effect...

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
12,018 posts
21,513 battles
2 hours ago, pikohan said:

If you ask me, the Warspite is better in basically every regard.

Warspite is certainly better in that she didn’t just randomly explode irl...

3 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

But its important to remember she is a T6 battleship - they would all struggle to hurt T8 battleships.

My WeeVee has done decently well in that regard.

But then I am mister ‘if it sucks, I love it.’

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Warspite is certainly better in that she didn’t just randomly explode irl...

My WeeVee has done decently well in that regard.

But then I am mister ‘if it sucks, I love it.’

I love my Warspite. Crazy accurate, hits like a truck

[4HIM]
Members
2,718 posts
9,442 battles

It's an okay ship.  It's more of a ship to have fun with than one to rack up damage and pad stats.  Though for some reason, I average more damage with Mutsu than I do with the Bizmark.  The torps are kind of for the lulz more than anything.  I have hit and sunk BB's and cruisers (NOT from full health, the torps aren't that good).  Mutsu is so uncommon that a lot of people don't realize it has torps.  And any time there is an event focused on CV's, just leave it in port.  AA is pretty weak and when it's skyspampalooza, you're just a fat target. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,087 posts
9,812 battles

I did buy her, after thinking about it till almost the last minute.

Then I realised what those extra few knots of speed could do for me in operations at Tier 6. With a secondary build she could be very interesting as a cat-among-the-pigeons exercise among the transports in Killer Whale. Use the main guns on the Konig Albert when it comes to interfere and slip her a torpedo or two as well. Use the torps on the other side for the transports. One per ship should be enough, and with 2 launchers reloading every 20 seconds, that's a torpedo going out every ten seconds. Against the transports, giving broadside is not critical.

• Cool 1

Members
1,933 posts
8,563 battles

I love Mutsu for tier 6 ops. WV's 16" guns tend to overpen the lower tier targets often found in ops, but Mutsu's don't. The few extra kts of speed vs either WV or Warspite are nice too, and the torps can actually be quite useful as bots sail in predictable patterns. 

[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles

I was on the fence until the last minute of the countdown, when I said "heck it!" and tapped the purchase button

Which took me to a desktop version of the page, with a gray "offer expired" button in place of the purchase button.. maybe it was desync, maybe the offer is meant to end a minute early..

Oh well, looks like I saved 10ish euros. I guess it isn't such a bad thing when the reviews are so polarized..

Looks like I'll be sticking to my beautiful Nagato, then:fish_happy: