Herr_Reitz

Are you familiar with Drachinifel? Are these good?

18 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,086 posts

He has many videos out there... so before I commit long-term to learning from this gentleman, I wondered what all of you thought of his information, his accuracy. 

tiafyc

[WOLF8]
Members
5,677 posts
5,364 battles

An awesome channel. I subbed without a thought after watching couple of his videos.

I do miss the robotic voice though, lol.

Edited by Blorgh2017

[HSD]
Members
511 posts
11,003 battles

A number of his Drydock Q&A videos have sources he has used for his guides, and I have seen a number of those sources crop up in other work.

I also have been enjoying the channel.

The Drydock Q&A's are nice but a lot of the question deal in hypothetical situations so research obviously is much harder to apply. Some of the hypothetical stuff he has wargamed out which I felt was a very nice touch.

The "what if" battle of the High Seas fleet vs Grand and US fleet was very nicely done IMO.

^A hypothetical scenario he wargamed out with some people.

Members
727 posts

I have yet to confirm Drachinifel's claim that HMS Hood launched torpedoes which forced Bismarck and Prinz Eugan to take evasive action at a critical point in the battle after HMS Hood had been destroyed and Prince of Wales silenced from the compass platform hit.  So I have no idea if Drachinifel is drawing from a deep well of knowledge or he's just using apocryphal details in his Operations videos.

[HSD]
Members
511 posts
11,003 battles
20 minutes ago, Royeaux said:

I have yet to confirm Drachinifel's claim that HMS Hood launched torpedoes which forced Bismarck and Prinz Eugan to take evasive action at a critical point in the battle after HMS Hood had been destroyed and Prince of Wales silenced from the compass platform hit.  So I have no idea if Drachinifel is drawing from a deep well of knowledge or he's just using apocryphal details in his Operations videos.

I did find this, though however much stock you want to put in it.

http://hmshood.com/history/denmarkstrait/bonomi_denstrait2.htm

It's a good way down, 52, 53, 54 are the citation (I presume they're citation source numbers) where the relevant information is.

Members
727 posts
2 minutes ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

I did find this, though however much stock you want to put in it.

http://hmshood.com/history/denmarkstrait/bonomi_denstrait2.htm

It's a good way down, 52, 53, 54 are the citation (I presume they're citation source numbers) where the relevant information is.

Yeah, the "Disclaimer: We present this article as a plausible alternative view of the Battle of the Denmark Strait." is a red flag.  Still at least I have some idea why Drachinifel mentioned them now, so I appreciate the link.

[HSD]
Members
511 posts
11,003 battles
2 minutes ago, Royeaux said:

Yeah, the "Disclaimer: We present this article as a plausible alternative view of the Battle of the Denmark Strait." is a red flag.  Still at least I have some idea why Drachinifel mentioned them now, so I appreciate the link.

Yeah when you read into the citation sources apparently Hood never opened any torpedo doors.

But Eugen certainly believed there was torpedoes based on some of the other sources. The captain allegedly verified visually sighting two torpedo tracks.

I wonder if somehow some wreckage from Hood somehow in the force of the explosion created a pattern that looked close enough to be mistaken for that?

[A-O]
Members
786 posts
8,136 battles
3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

He has many videos out there... so before I commit long-term to learning from this gentleman, I wondered what all of you thought of his information, his accuracy. 

tiafyc

Very well researched. Definitely worth watching.

Privateers, Members
8,913 posts
7,837 battles
1 hour ago, Royeaux said:

I have yet to confirm Drachinifel's claim that HMS Hood launched torpedoes which forced Bismarck and Prinz Eugan to take evasive action at a critical point in the battle after HMS Hood had been destroyed and Prince of Wales silenced from the compass platform hit.

According to Prinz Eugen‘s war diary her listening post picked up several torpedoes which she dodged, with the crew on the spotting top getting a visual on two torpedo tracks.

However, if my memory serves, this happened during the engagement because Eugen‘s commander recalled that this evasive maneuver caused her to dodge an incoming artillery salvo which otherwise would have been a direct hit.

As for Drach‘s videos, they seem okay. The few times I have been told to watch a certain passage however I found it to be only superficially researched, with serious errors of judgement happening. Maybe I am just too deep down the rabbit hole though...

Members
1,691 posts
8,497 battles
14 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

tiafyc

Huge fan of his. He keeps things funny and interesting while providing a lot of unique insights. Also dat voice.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,086 posts
17 hours ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Huge fan of his. He keeps things funny and interesting while providing a lot of unique insights. Also dat voice.

Yes... the sort of stiff upper lip, stuffy Englishman who sounds the same prior to war or dinner. :cap_horn:

• Cool 1

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,540 posts
5,976 battles

Drach's channel is great quality overall and he has a wonderful dry wit. I have seen errors pop up from time to time in videos on my area of expertise, but that is inevitable (and I speak from personal experience there).

Edited by AdmiralPiett

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,025 posts
4,912 battles

I love his information and dry wit.  He's a great YouTuber for all your ship needs.

Maybe WG should do some collabs with him in the near future...

[70]
Members
1,194 posts
6,230 battles

The funniest by far to me was the "five British battleships come down on the Japanese carriers like an angry fist of God" which was somewhere in a relatively recent drydock episode.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.