You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ranari

Upcoming potential changes to HE/IFHE and how it affects brawlers

27 comments in this topic

[UN1]
Members
717 posts
2,685 battles

Gonna keep this really short, but I thought I'd point this out. 

Note, none of this stuff is live, and is only on test so far.  All of this could be a wash and none of these changes could take effect.

The basics:

• IFHE being changed from +30% penetration and -1%/-3% fire chance reduction (subtraction), to +20% penetration and -50% fire chance (multiplicative).
  • HE penetration rule being changed from "less than" to "less than or equal".  Under the current rule, this means that when calculating the penetration value, the HE shell can penetrate up to, but not including that value.  Under the new rule, it means the shells can penetrate up to and including that value.  See below for examples.

How this affects various brawler lines:

• German warships
    • Bismarck/Tirpitz should see a huge buff thanks to the upcoming changes to the 105mm guns it uses moving from the 1/6 rule to the 1/4 rule.  Under the new HE penetration calculation, the 105mm batteries on the Bismarck should penetrate up to and including 26mm.  This'll be an enormous buff for the Bismarck and Tirpitz and allow them to perform significantly better even with a lower skill point captain.  Very excited for these changes.
    • Friedrich der Grosse shouldn't see any functional changes other than the penetration value on its 105mm guns moving from 25mm to 26mm under the new HE penetration calculation rule.  FDG is already an extremely powerful brawler thanks to her Fall 2018 buffs, so players will continue to enjoy that.
    • Grosser Kurfurst / Gneisenau should see their 128mm battery penetration change from 31mm to 32mm.  Under the new HE calculation rule, which states that the value is now "less than or equal", that means that 128 / 4 = 32mm penetration.  Players rejoice.
  • American warships
    • Massachusetts/Georgia/Ohio/Montana - They all use the same 127mm guns so I can just lump them all together.  The significant change here is perception.  Many players are very used to taking IFHE on these warships because that's what all the CC's recommend, but in reality the value of IFHE for American brawlers is grossly overstated.  Currently, taking IFHE only helps against cruisers and low tier battleships, both of which don't last very long in the face of American main battery performance.  What players will find here is that their secondary performance will probably actually increase due to them now starting more fires, and that their overall performance will increase due to taking skills like FP or CE.
  • French warships
    • Alsace/Gascogne/Jean Bart - They all use 100mm batteries so they can be lumped together.  Unfortunately the change is not good for these warships, as they 100% require IFHE for their secondaries to be of any real use.  On top of having their fire chance gutted in half, the 6" guns on these ships will have their penetration reduced from 32mm to 30mm [when taking IFHE].  That last change is probably a lot less noticeable due to the 6" guns accounting for a very low percentage (~20%) of their secondary output, but it's there.  If WG is reading this, I highly recommend a 1/5 rule for these ships.  
    • Republique/Bourgogne - Less impacted than the ships listed above due to using 127mm mounts instead of 100mm mounts, but keep in mind here that these two ships use much faster firing 6" guns.  Here, those 6" guns account for ~40% of the total secondary DPM, so that penetration reduction from 32mm to 30mm under the new rule is much more impactful.  
  • Oddball Russian warships that actually have stupidly high secondary DPM for their tier:
    • Sinop - No real change here.  The Sinop is T7, which doesn't need as high penetration at that tier to be effective.
    • Kremlin - Strangely enough, the Kremlin has the highest DPM secondaries at T10.  But due to them being entirely 127mm, those 2 players that actually play this ship in a full secondary outfit will see no real impact to their performance.

Overall:

• German brawlers will fair very well under these changes.  The change to the Kurfurst is probably the most popular, but it's actually the changes to the Bismarck/Tirpitz that will be much more significant and impactful.  
  • American brawlers will largely be unchanged due to the value of IFHE being grossly overstated.  I actually run my Massachusetts/Georgia without IFHE, so I'm not just stating that academically, but I'm speaking from real experience.
  • French brawlers aren't as popular as the above two lines, but nonetheless will be significantly affected.  I highly recommend a 1/5 rule for these secondaries.  

In summary, I see these changes as a very good step to making brawling play a lot less dependent on IFHE, and thus negates the need for having such high skill point captains to make them effective.  Although the impact to the French line isn't good, that can be addressed separately.  

Edited by Ranari
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Members
551 posts
6,383 battles

American secondaries can reach cruisers over islands in places their main guns can't reach.  IFHE is very useful for forcing them out.  Yes, in open water your main guns far overshadow  secondaries against light skinned cruisers but good cruisers won't be caught out in open water.  The ability to force them out is more useful to me than a little better concealment. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,685 posts
18 minutes ago, Ranari said:

Note, none of this stuff is live, and is only on test so far.  All of this could be a wash and none of these changes could take effect.

The basics:

• IFHE being changed from +30% penetration and -1%/-3% fire chance reduction (subtraction), to +20% penetration and -50% fire chance (multiplicative).
  • HE penetration rule being changed from "less than" to "less than or equal".  Under the current rule, this means that when calculating the penetration value, the HE shell can penetrate up to, but not including that value.  Under the new rule, it means the shells can penetrate up to and including that value.  See below for examples.

• German warships
    • Bismarck/Tirpitz should see a huge buff thanks to the upcoming changes to the 105mm guns it uses moving from the 1/6 rule to the 1/4 rule.  Under the new HE penetration calculation, the 105mm batteries on the Bismarck should penetrate up to and including 26mm.  This'll be an enormous buff for the Bismarck and Tirpitz and allow them to perform significantly better even with a lower skill point captain.  Very excited for these changes.
    • Friedrich der Grosse shouldn't see any functional changes other than the penetration value on its 105mm guns moving from 25mm to 26mm under the new HE penetration calculation rule.  FDG is already an extremely powerful brawler thanks to her Fall 2018 buffs, so players will continue to enjoy that.
    • Grosser Kurfurst / Gneisenau should see their 128mm battery penetration change from 31mm to 32mm.  Under the new HE calculation rule, which states that the value is now "less than or equal", that means that 128 / 4 = 32mm penetration.  Players rejoice.
  • American warships
    • Massachusetts/Georgia/Ohio/Montana - They all use the same 127mm guns so I can just lump them all together.  The significant change here is perception.  Many players are very used to taking IFHE on these warships because that's what all the CC's recommend, but in reality the value of IFHE for American brawlers is grossly overstated.  Currently, taking IFHE only helps against cruisers and low tier battleships, both of which don't last very long in the face of American main battery performance.  What players will find here is that their secondary performance will probably actually increase due to them now starting more fires, and that their overall performance will increase due to taking skills like FP or CE.
  • French warships
    • Alsace/Gascogne/Jean Bart - They all use 100mm batteries so they can be lumped together.  Unfortunately the change is not good for these warships, as they 100% require IFHE for their secondaries to be of any real use.  On top of having their fire chance gutted in half, the 6" guns on these ships will have their penetration reduced from 32mm to 30mm [when taking IFHE].  That last change is probably a lot less noticeable due to the 6" guns accounting for a very low percentage (~20%) of their secondary output, but it's there.  If WG is reading this, I highly recommend a 1/5 rule for these ships.  
    • Republique/Bourgogne - Less impacted than the ships listed above due to using 127mm mounts instead of 100mm mounts, but keep in mind here that these two ships use much faster firing 6" guns.  Here, those 6" guns account for ~40% of the total secondary DPM, so that penetration reduction from 32mm to 30mm under the new rule is much more impactful.  
  • Oddball Russian warships that actually have stupidly high secondary DPM for their tier:
    • Sinop - No real change here.  The Sinop is T7, which doesn't need as high penetration at that tier to be effective.
    • Kremlin - Strangely enough, the Kremlin has the highest DPM secondaries at T10.  But due to them being entirely 127mm, those 2 players that actually play this ship in a full secondary outfit will see no real impact to their performance.

Overall:

• German brawlers will fair very well under these changes.  The change to the Kurfurst is probably the most popular, but it's actually the changes to the Bismarck/Tirpitz that will be much more significant and impactful.  
  • American brawlers will largely be unchanged due to the value of IFHE being grossly overstated.  I actually run my Massachusetts/Georgia without IFHE, so I'm not just stating that academically, but I'm speaking from real experience.
  • French brawlers aren't as popular as the above two lines, but nonetheless will be significantly affected.  I highly recommend a 1/5 rule for these secondaries.  

In summary, I see these changes as a very good step to making brawling play a lot less dependent on IFHE, and thus negates the need for having such high skill point captains to make them effective.  Although the impact to the French line isn't good, that can be addressed separately.  

The effect of IFHE on US BBs is NOT overstated at all.   It makes the difference between 20k secondary damage and 50k secondary damage.

Cruisers is exactly where you want that damage to work.

1 - It’s all well and good if you’re fighting a cruiser one on one.  But frequently you wind up brawling with an enemy battleship while your secondaries chew up the supporting enemy cruiser.  With IFHE you win that battle and kill both of them.

2 - Your brawler US battleships spend much of their lives uptiered.  High tier cruisers like DM have an annoying habit  of bow camping you.  The IFHE secondaries make them regret their life choices.

Bottom line, if you’re not taking IFHE on your US brawler battleships, you’re leaving half your offensive power on the table.

Other bottom line.  If you’re taking CE on those same battleships instead, you’re completely wasting 4 skill points.

• Cool 3

[WOLF8]
Members
5,663 posts
5,361 battles
27 minutes ago, Ranari said:
  • German warships

A real "loser" here is anyone who might be currently using IFHE with FdG, ever since her Fall 2018 buff. The 105mm secondaries with the 1/4 HE pen buff and the current iteration of IFHE could pen 32mm of armor ((105 / 4) * 1.3 = 33.8)... but once the proposed IFHE change comes, not anymore ((105 /4) * 1.2 = 31.2). :fish_book:

Bismark and Tirpitz also getting the 1/4 pen buff on their 105mm secondaries could have opened the same door that FdG is enjoying now, but it looks like that's not going to be the case. :Smile_unsure:

Oh well, at least I think the German Secondaries builds can opt to avoid IFHE, since it would largely be a waste of 4 skill points. But that's just me, lol. :Smile_hiding:

My 2 doubloons.

Edited by Blorgh2017
lol grammar

[LHG]
Members
114 posts
8,002 battles
5 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Bottom line, if you’re not taking IFHE on your US brawler battleships, you’re leaving half your offensive power on the table.

Other bottom line.  If you’re taking CE on those same battleships instead, you’re completely wasting 4 skill points. 

I agree. If IFHE isn't as poweful, secondaries only become bad fire starters. Especially, for the Mass that has to rely on 1.7 sigma, this kinda hurts. (Can we get it to 1.8 pls?)

[GWG]
Supertester
22,860 posts
12,797 battles

IFHE being changed from +30% penetration and -1%/-3% fire chance reduction (subtraction), to +20% penetration and -50% fire chance (multiplicative).

That is really going to hammer fires if you are using IFHE which I feel is long over due because the reduction before was only noticeable of hundreds and hundreds of matches. This alone will make IFHE the choice of those trying to do damage and not when fire is the objective.

2 minutes ago, Carbapenem_17 said:

I agree. If IFHE isn't as poweful, secondaries only become bad fire starters. Especially, for the Mass that has to rely on 1.7 sigma, this kinda hurts. (Can we get it to 1.8 pls?)

It is the choice of damage or fires instead of basically getting both with the current system.

[LHG]
Members
114 posts
8,002 battles
15 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

A real "loser" here is anyone who might be currently using IFHE with FdG, ever since her Fall 2018 buff.

I hope they give us at least free respecs for that.  ...  That's too much to ask isn't it?

[SAVAG]
Members
635 posts
36 minutes ago, Carbapenem_17 said:

How about the atlantas?

Atlanta - Flint they are all going the way of the DODO!!! These changes will also affect those two boyos for sure.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
5,663 posts
5,361 battles
8 minutes ago, Carbapenem_17 said:

I hope they give us at least free respecs for that.  ...  That's too much to ask isn't it?

Personally, if you ask me, I'm pretty sure WG will... but that's just me. :Smile_hiding:

I mean, this IFHE change is gonna affect far more ships than just brawling BB's and their secondaries. It sounds to me like this change could have even greater implication for a lot of DD's and cruisers. That's way too many ships that are affected to NOT offer any free respeccs... me thinks, lol. :Smile_hiding:

Edited by Blorgh2017

[VW]
Members
3,228 posts
16,288 battles
4 hours ago, Carbapenem_17 said:

How about the atlantas?

Chappy’s, the entire usn cl line etc. The cls cant play without ifhe, if that gets nerfed along with fire chance then what? Are they getting the new gimmick rounds?

Members
1,740 posts
3,622 battles
6 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Chappy’s, the entire usn cl line etc. The cls cant play without ifhe, if that gets nerfed along with fire chance then what? Are they getting the new gimmick rounds?

They should have stuck IFHE with the original plan, IFHE was designed to give reliable damage to DDs and CLs but they complained they would lose fire damage, they complained so much that WG broke and gave them to much. Now at high tier you gave HE spewing sos getting reliable damage while keeping ships constantly on fire. It was too powerful and that's why WG is making these changes now

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,126 posts
13,401 battles
12 hours ago, Ranari said:

The basics:

• German warships
  • American warships
  • French warships

Overall:

10% less HE shell penetration potential, and a 50% reduction of fire chance does not sound better and a simple 1% to 3% fire chance reduction.

This might cause a small increase in penetration, since it is still a random distribution of outcomes, correct ? Most outcomes will be centered in the distribution of penetration distances into the amour. This improvement would be dependent on the bins that are set up for each shells impact.  For instance, if the bins are 

0-20-40-60-80-100 then under the new rule there will be some 100% penetrations, where with the current system only up to 80% penetrations.

[POP]
Members
551 posts
6,383 battles

Unless my math is off it looks like if the changes take place even with IFHE American secondaries will no longer be able to penetrate the 25 mm hull of T9 and 10 cruisers. 

[UN1]
Members
717 posts
2,685 battles
On 7/21/2019 at 12:16 PM, Ericson38 said:

10% less HE shell penetration potential, and a 50% reduction of fire chance does not sound better and a simple 1% to 3% fire chance reduction.

This might cause a small increase in penetration, since it is still a random distribution of outcomes, correct ? Most outcomes will be centered in the distribution of penetration distances into the amour. This improvement would be dependent on the bins that are set up for each shells impact.  For instance, if the bins are 

0-20-40-60-80-100 then under the new rule there will be some 100% penetrations, where with the current system only up to 80% penetrations.

HE penetration is all or nothing.  It doesn't behave like AP where distance or angle affect the outcome.  Once an HE shell hits a target, it simply checks whether or not it has sufficient penetration.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:35 PM, Blorgh2017 said:

A real "loser" here is anyone who might be currently using IFHE with FdG, ever since her Fall 2018 buff. The 105mm secondaries with the 1/4 HE pen buff and the current iteration of IFHE could pen 32mm of armor ((105 / 4) * 1.3 = 33.8)... but once the proposed IFHE change comes, not anymore ((105 /4) * 1.2 = 31.2). :fish_book:

(and other good stuff)

While this is true, the value of the Bismarck going from 17mm to 26mm of base penetration is far greater than Bismarck w/ IFHE in the new system losing out on the potential to penetrate 32mm of armor.  The 32mm threshold is definitely a very good threshold to pass, but it's very situational, and really only applies to certain battleships.  Having >32mm of penetration is very valuable when engaging British/French battleships, marginal when engaging American/Japanese battleships (32mm sides but >32mm deck plating except Amagi), and actually quite poor when engaging German or Russian battleships unless at very specific angles.  What I'm saying is that it's not this dramatic difference except in very special circumstances that are not as common to the player as one might think.

Still, I'm not devaluing the benefit of having >32mm of penetration.  When it rocks, it freaking rocks, but the actual number of circumstances where it's making a difference tends to be less than players realize.  For all other times, it's just a reduction in fire chance.

In short, the value of increased penetration once past 19mm begins showing significant diminishing returns.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:28 PM, TheDreadnought said:

The effect of IFHE on US BBs is NOT overstated at all.   It makes the difference between 20k secondary damage and 50k secondary damage.

Cruisers is exactly where you want that damage to work.

1 - It’s all well and good if you’re fighting a cruiser one on one.  But frequently you wind up brawling with an enemy battleship while your secondaries chew up the supporting enemy cruiser.  With IFHE you win that battle and kill both of them.

2 - Your brawler US battleships spend much of their lives uptiered.  High tier cruisers like DM have an annoying habit  of bow camping you.  The IFHE secondaries make them regret their life choices.

Because I regularly play the Massachusetts without IFHE, I can't agree with this based on my own personal experience, and I regularly break 50k in secondary damage.  My highest is 106k I think (no IFHE).  Cruisers are rarely the object of sustained secondary fire.  Cruiser players just don't tend to get too close to battleships, and when they do, they often retreat as fast as possible.  

It also has a lot to do with the American 16/45 Mark 6 guns being absolutely devastating to cruisers.  A Des Moines or Salem that is attempting to bow tank you within your secondary range has a lot more to fear from you main battery than your IFHE secondaries.  If the Bismarck and Massachusetts traded main battery guns, then yes, I would agree, but the Massachusetts has a huge advantage in this category, and whenever I look at the damage numbers at the end of a game, they're overwhelmingly in favor of my main battery when looking specifically at cruisers.

Also, if you leave your secondaries to "deal" with a cruiser when you engage a battleship, there's a good chance you won't have your secondaries firing for very long.  I know that from experience.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:52 PM, Carbapenem_17 said:

I can't imagine WG releasing this change, if the change even goes through at all, without allowing free respecs.  It's too radical of a change if you ask me.

Sorry for the late responses.  I'm on vacation, and I'm thoroughly enjoying a gin and tonic right now.  :D

[LHG]
Members
114 posts
8,002 battles
14 hours ago, Ranari said:

Also, if you leave your secondaries to "deal" with a cruiser when you engage a battleship, there's a good chance you won't have your secondaries firing for very long.  I know that from experience.

Still, I liked having IFHE secondaries pen both high tier cruisers and low tier battleships. With this change I can only pen low tier BBs, so kinda sad on that point. 

[LHG]
Members
114 posts
8,002 battles

At least I can safely say that the Atlanta's won't be any different. 25mm IFHE pen is more than enough for T7 battles, anything over BBs have 32mm decks anyway. 

[UN1]
Members
717 posts
2,685 battles
2 hours ago, Carbapenem_17 said:

At least I can safely say that the Atlanta's won't be any different. 25mm IFHE pen is more than enough for T7 battles, anything over BBs have 32mm decks anyway. 

Weeeelllll....that 25mm plating is being changed to 26mm.  :(

I'm not sure what they'll do for ships like the Atlanta, but I can't imagine them leaving the ships as-is with this change.

[LHG]
Members
114 posts
8,002 battles
2 minutes ago, Ranari said:

Weeeelllll....that 25mm plating is being changed to 26mm.  :(

I'm not sure what they'll do for ships like the Atlanta, but I can't imagine them leaving the ships as-is with this change.

Oh right. Forgot about that. ffffffff

[F4E]
Members
140 posts
2,763 battles

I am working my way up the USN lines (DD, CL, CA, and BB...not CV).  I am at Tier VI and I am holding off on tier VI while building up my captains (focused on Pensacola with 12 pt captain, others at 10 pts).

This change to IFHE seems like a significant nerf to ships with 152mm guns, such as the USN CL line.  (Not a complaint, just an observation)

IFHE has been a virtual requirement for USN CLs — with this change, will there be a new consensus use for those 4 skill points or will that vary more by individual play style?

[GWG]
Supertester
22,860 posts
12,797 battles
4 hours ago, Ghostar_1 said:

So in layman's vocabulary, it is good to add IFHE to Massachusetts  Captain?

Currently yes. If the proposed IFHE change goes through maybe maybe not because of the 50% drop in fire chance for guns larger than 5 inches. Whether you will want it will require testing to see if the loss of fires will be acceptable.

[LILBB]
Members
45 posts
2,321 battles

This is one of the best changes to the game yet.  Too long have island humping CAs gone with their infinite rainbow of HE spam.

now they get to work harder to burn down every ship in game 

*insert happy sigh from a KM line player here*. 

[UN1]
Members
717 posts
2,685 battles
On 7/23/2019 at 7:36 PM, Ghostar_1 said:

So in layman's vocabulary, it is good to add IFHE to Massachusetts  Captain?

No.  IFHE only offers benefit vs cruisers, which the Massachusetts' 16" guns are comically strong against.  You're more than welcome to take it, but in practice it's a lot less effective than most players realize.  That, too, and cruisers don't typically stay long in secondary range like battleships do.