You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
thumblez

Too lazy to search any more...

11 comments in this topic

[ENDO]
Members
8 posts
6,403 battles

... for info on how to shoot at opponents on the far side of an island. I have seen it done in replays, there seems to be some way to get an elevated view over an island for targeting, but I have been unable to work it out or find a "how to" on it anywhere.

Can anyone help an incompetent?

Thanks.

[NSC]
Members
1,744 posts
2 minutes ago, thumblez said:

... for info on how to shoot at opponents on the far side of an island. I have seen it done in replays, there seems to be some way to get an elevated view over an island for targeting, but I have been unable to work it out or find a "how to" on it anywhere.

Thanks.

The "elevated view" is toggled with the use of Spotter Aircraft. It is described on the wiki here: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Aircraft#Spotting_Aircraft

Spoiler

It is available on all Tier IX and X cruisers, Russian cruisers from Tier VI and higher, British cruisers from Tiers V - VIII, as well as all Japanese battleships from Tier IV and higher and American battleships from Tier VI and higher. 

To use Spotter Aircraft, you usually have to sacrifice Catapult Fighters.

Edited by henrychenhenry

Members
1,412 posts
8,824 battles

Launch a spotter plane.  It gives you an elevated view (and extended range.)  It takes a while to get used to aiming from the different perspective but it's obviously very powerful once you get the hang of it.

Alternatively, tap your map screen key.  The map will tilt quickly and then zoom out to map mode, but you can get a brief look at your target during the tilt that can sometimes help you correct your aim.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,217 posts
11,364 battles
23 minutes ago, thumblez said:

Thanks.

The spotter plane gives the elevated view, as others have said.

Of more importance is to learn how far below the enemy ship’s ribbon the ship actually is, at all ranges. Learn to estimate that, and you can land hits on ships that are spotted, but are blocked from your direct view.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea

Members
1,059 posts
6,020 battles

You can also toggle the view that follows your shells path... a bit trickier to master but it helps some folks get the correct firing angle for island campers. I cant recall the key its assigned to.

[LOSC]
Members
467 posts

You also have to have a ship that arches his rounds( like Atlanta and ect ) rather

than a ship that shoots a flatter plane.

[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles
36 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

The spotter plane gives the elevated view, as others have said.

Of more importance is to learn how far below the enemy ship’s ribbon the ship actually is, at all ranges. Learn to estimate that, and you can land hits on ships that are spotted, but are blocked from your direct view.

Or, you can learn to use the aiming reticle on the mini-map. Given that the mini-map also indicates the target's heading, I find it's the best option (if I don't have a spotter plane).

[NSC]
Members
1,744 posts
15 minutes ago, Xanshin said:

You can also toggle the view that follows your shells path... a bit trickier to master but it helps some folks get the correct firing angle for island campers. I cant recall the key its assigned to.

The default key is 'Z'.

• Cool 2

[LOU1]
Members
3,960 posts
10,948 battles

I think the trick you are looking for is to quickly tap the Map key twice (on - off).  That might have been removed because I haven't used it in a long time.  Nowadays I usually switch to shell follow right before they arrive.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,217 posts
11,364 battles
4 hours ago, Incomitatus said:

Or, you can learn to use the aiming reticle on the mini-map. Given that the mini-map also indicates the target's heading, I find it's the best option (if I don't have a spotter plane).

Resolution on the minimap is a bit coarse for me. Also, if you’re not in binocular mode the aiming reticle on the minimap moves a lot.

[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles
22 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Resolution on the minimap is a bit coarse for me. Also, if you’re not in binocular mode the aiming reticle on the minimap moves a lot.

I find the resolution is fine for hitting battleships and stationary cruisers. And you can be in binocular mode and still aim that way.