You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cheeezzy

Lifelike Gamemode idea

13 comments in this topic

[TRIST]
Members
361 posts
2,099 battles

Hey all, so seeing the forums, there is plenty of division between what to do to make the game more fun and more realistic. So my idea was, why not make new game mode(s)? Like, we could keep the current one as a "Classic" mode, an arcade mode with unlimited ammo, planes, faster ships, and more effective spotting (make it the fiesta mode because of how chaotic I'm thinking it could get). The other mode could be called Lifelike, and that means more realistic physics such as damage on island impacts, an ammo count for all guns on a ship (main, secondaries, AA, etc) and historical hangar spaces? Now, these are just rough, and I mean rougher than a rusty sawblade, so plenty of thought and balance will need to be considered before shipping either, but these are just my two cents worth , let me know what you guys think!

• Boring 2

Members
1,412 posts
8,824 battles

5 minutes ago, Cheeezzy said:

The other mode could be called Lifelike, and that means more realistic physics such as damage on island impacts, an ammo count for all guns on a ship (main, secondaries, AA, etc) and historical hangar spaces?

Those changes you're suggesting for "Lifelike" mode aren't even vaguely addressing the most unrealistic elements of the current game, though.

Real warships carried hundreds of shells for their guns.  It would have taken 30+ minutes of sustained firing for most of the ships in the game to empty their magazines, so simply having unlimited ammunition in the game with its existing 20 minute time limit is really not unrealistic.

The issue with running into islands isn't that it doesn't cause ship damage, it's that we're fighting right next to islands and using terrain cover at all.  This was never a part of any realistic naval doctrine and was just carried over from World of Tanks (where it actually makes sense) because it works well as a videogame mechanic.

This game's biggest crimes against realism are probably in things like 15,000+ tons ships being able to accelerate to 20 knots in less than a minute and experienced players achieving 30%+ hit rates with artillery at long ranges.  But changing those things would just make the game play very, very slowly compared to its current state and everything would often come down to a single lucky dice roll if we had anything like realistic hit rates.  I'm sure many players here would be interested in a realistic naval battle simulator mode where a game could take all day and then end suddenly with a catastrophic magazine penetration, but we probably wouldn't play it very often just because of sheer time constraints.

[TRIST]
Members
361 posts
2,099 battles
6 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

Those changes you're suggesting for "Lifelike" mode aren't even vaguely addressing the most unrealistic elements of the current game, though.

Real warships carried hundreds of shells for their guns.  It would have taken 30+ minutes of sustained firing for most of the ships in the game to empty their magazines, so simply having unlimited ammunition in the game with its existing 20 minute time limit is really not unrealistic.

The issue with running into islands isn't that it doesn't cause ship damage, it's that we're fighting right next to islands and using terrain cover at all.  This was never a part of any realistic naval doctrine and was just carried over from World of Tanks (where it actually makes sense) because it works well as a videogame mechanic.

This game's biggest crimes against realism are probably in things like 15,000+ tons ships being able to accelerate to 20 knots in less than a minute and experienced players achieving 30%+ hit rates with artillery at long ranges.  But changing those things would just make the game play very, very slowly compared to its current state and everything would often come down to a single lucky dice roll if we had anything like realistic hit rates.  I'm sure many players here would be interested in a realistic naval battle simulator mode where a game could take all day and then end suddenly with a catastrophic magazine penetration, but we probably wouldn't play it very often just because of sheer time constraints.

Thanks for the input! I did say that this will be very rough so I only suggested the most basic of basics, but yeah I see your point, maybe these battles could be longer and carry a higher reward? Theres also the issue of how ships will be spotted in this realistic mode. Maybe bring it as realistic as possible without affecting the core elements of the game? Yeah, this will be hard, and probably only the most hardcore players will play it, considering WoWs' biggest competitor still only has small botes

[90TH]
Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles

For best realism, we could just join the Navy

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,289 posts

It's been tossed out there many times, and the reason it will never happen is that Sims don't appeal to a wide enough audience.

[BS]
Members
1,847 posts
9,412 battles

They'll never introduce another mode because they're deathly afraid of random battle queue times getting longer. Why do you think they got rid of arms races even though tons of people like it? It's always why ranked in a grindy nightmare, it has to be like that to fill up the queue. Ranking out can't be purely skill based because 25% of the population would rank out too fast, making the queue times longer for the rest of the people.

[WOLF6]
Members
388 posts
3,153 battles

If you want to see what a naval sim would play like, download one of the "Great Naval Battles" games.  They are all free on abandon-ware sites, and are easily playable in dosbox.

You will find that any scenario takes far longer than 20 minutes (duh), and you usually run out of ammo without dealing significant damage.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,289 posts
19 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

They'll never introduce another mode because they're deathly afraid of random battle queue times getting longer. Why do you think they got rid of arms races even though tons of people like it? It's always why ranked in a grindy nightmare, it has to be like that to fill up the queue. Ranking out can't be purely skill based because 25% of the population would rank out too fast, making the queue times longer for the rest of the people.

Why would they run CB and ranked at the same time then?:Smile_amazed:

[BS]
Members
1,847 posts
9,412 battles
42 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Why would they run CB and ranked at the same time then?:Smile_amazed:

Because competitive is turning into the lifeblood of this game as the playerbase matures

[WOLF7]
Members
12,289 posts
1 minute ago, HorrorRoach said:

Because competitive is turning into the lifeblood of this game as the playerbase matures

You seriously believe that? :Smile_amazed:

CB has been going downhill since the 2nd season. They were forced to offer cross server CB simply to keep numbers up. They are now dropping the number of players to 6 in an attempt to draw in more people.

This fantasy about the game being competitive is part of why WG fails at it so badly....the thought of a competitive player base in this game is laughable, when you see who actually plays the game.:Smile_sceptic:

[WMD]
Members
1,090 posts
7,955 battles
23 hours ago, Cheeezzy said:

Hey all, so seeing the forums, there is plenty of division between what to do to make the game more fun and more realistic. So my idea was, why not make new game mode(s)? Like, we could keep the current one as a "Classic" mode, an arcade mode with unlimited ammo, planes, faster ships, and more effective spotting (make it the fiesta mode because of how chaotic I'm thinking it could get). The other mode could be called Lifelike, and that means more realistic physics such as damage on island impacts, an ammo count for all guns on a ship (main, secondaries, AA, etc) and historical hangar spaces? Now, these are just rough, and I mean rougher than a rusty sawblade, so plenty of thought and balance will need to be considered before shipping either, but these are just my two cents worth , let me know what you guys think!

If you want naval realism find a bunch of brass to polish, soak all your clothes in diesel and fryer grease, and then have people poop beside you while you brush your teeth. 

That will cure you of any desire for naval realism in your entertainment time. 

• Funny 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,510 posts
3,895 battles
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

You still believe Ranked is a competitive mode? It's the sloppiest ranked setup I've seen in 20 years of gaming.

Clan Battles is far closer, and even that's pretty sloppy for a competitive mode.

No WG product will ever be a truly competition-oriented game. They've been laughed out of actual Esports for years.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[TRIST]
Members
361 posts
2,099 battles
3 hours ago, VeatherVitch said:

If you want naval realism find a bunch of brass to polish, soak all your clothes in diesel and fryer grease, and then have people poop beside you while you brush your teeth. 

That will cure you of any desire for naval realism in your entertainment time. 

I mean, if that's what you're into more power to you, but if you read what I said you'll see I said that it'll need to be balanced to be fun and realistic :cap_haloween: