gillhunter

Udaloi vs. Tashkent

6 comments in this topic

[CIAO]
Members
652 posts
24,805 battles

The Tashkent is one of my favorite DDs for co-op. Thinking about getting the Udaloi. Does anyone have one and how do you like it. How does it compare to the Tashkent if you have one also?

Thanks

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,277 posts
17,782 battles
1 hour ago, gillhunter said:

Does anyone have one and how do you like it.

Both have the same guns and the same gun reload, although Task reloads her torps 7 seconds faster than Udaloi's 77 seconds stock. Tash also gets seen 0.8 km further out than the Udaloi, so there is that. Neither DD is really stealthy. Russian ships are gunboats which really only use torps when it's "OH CRAP!" time, although Udaloi's stock torps are the worst with only a 6 km range. You can upgrade them to 8 km torps.

When I ground both of these ships out they were both different tiers but really they haven't changed that much. Tash is huge, literally as big as a Yubari, so the Ud will be a bit stealthier. But not much. And Ud AP hits 100 HP harder, huge whoop. Udaloi gun turrets rotate twice as fast as Tashkent's do, Tash is 2.5 knots faster. Udaloi turns a bit faster, and tighter, Tash has mildly better AA. And Tash has 700 more HP, but go figure it's just huge.

Udaloi is a nice ship, IF you like Rusky DDs. Hey, give it a shot; you can always sell it.

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,032 posts
17,184 battles

Trashcan more open water gunboat.

Udoloi can be good torp, cap contester if you can deal with his concealment.

[PVE]
Members
10,001 posts
18,221 battles
2 hours ago, gillhunter said:

The Tashkent is one of my favorite DDs for co-op. Thinking about getting the Udaloi. Does anyone have one and how do you like it. How does it compare to the Tashkent if you have one also?

Thanks

I played both around 25 games before having enough and FXP'ing to the T10's. As we have discussed before I am not a huge fan of RU DD's. The terrible detection (Udaloi and Tashkent have about the same concealment when you use CSM1 and CE = 7.5km +/-) and awful torp ranges (gets better at higher tiers and while 90% of your torping in Co-op is short range there are times longer range is needed - 4km torps suck! - both of the T9's are 8km which is good) just turned me off RU DD's. 

My stats in both are very similar which makes sense as they are very similar ships...

• Udaloi = 72,475 avg damage / 192,373 high damage
  • Tashkent = 70,769 avg damage / 177,793 high damage

The horrid detection in Co-op of the RU DD's is a real negative and while 90% of your torping in Co-op is short range there are times longer range is needed. 4km torps suck! Starting at T8 you get 8km+ torps which is good (both T9's have 8km). BUT, you seem to enjoy the RU DD's and make the bad detection work so either of these 2 I believe would be a good fit for you. 

I would offer this to consider. Look at the T10's and decide which you would rather have/get to 1st. For me that is easy. Hands down Grozovoi is better than Khabarovsk. Grozovoi is actually a pretty good DD. Khabarovsk takes all the bad of the RU DD's and rolls it into one package of suckness LOL.

Tashkent is actually the better of the 2 IMO. It has very good 3X3 8km torps with a base reload of just 69 seconds. IF you run the TAE Capt skill (-10%) and the TTM3 module in slot 6 (-15%) you can drop reload to like 53 sec. It is crazy fast which in Co-op is very useful. Udaloi has 3X5 torps with 8km range but they have a base reload of 129 sec (almost 2X's longer) and at best can be lowered to 98 sec.

Unfortunately, Tashkent leads to Khabarovsk. So for me I went Udaloi 1st.

Honestly, they are so similar that as said decide which T10 you would rather have because even the guns and gun reload are the same. Concealment, rudder, guns, etc... are a wash for the most part. It's the torps that are the real difference. 9 super fast reloading torps on Tashkent with 15100 damage each or 15 slow reloading torps on Udaloi with 14600 damage each. 

So torps and the T10 are what should decide for you because otherwise they are the same basic thing.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[WOLF3]
Members
22,444 posts
20,530 battles
4 hours ago, gillhunter said:

Thanks

Since this is PVE we're strictly speaking about:  Tashkent is vastly superior to Udaloi.  Why?  Torpedoes are everything for Destroyers in Co-op, even for the Gunboat DDs.  Quick reloading torpedoes in respectable numbers are Tashkent's true strength.

Tashkent 3x3 torps

15.1k damage per

69 seconds reload

All 3 torpedo launchers can be used in a single attack on one side

Udaloi 3x5 torps

Weaker 14.6k damage per

A much, much longer 129 seconds for reloading

15 torps looks great on paper until you look at the torpedo reload speed and the launcher arrangement...

One of those awkward torpedo tube arrangements... 1 central torpedo launcher, 1 more torpedo launcher per side.

Udaloi can realistically, easily drop one broadside of torpedoes, 10 torpedoes total, but to get the 3rd launcher to fire off  the last 5 you need to do a loop, which can be dangerous and unintuitive in Co-op.

Tashkent flows much faster in Co-op than Udaloi.  DD guns aren't all that in Co-op.  Yeah I said it.  TORPEDOES are what make you your money.  Even Harugumo and Khabarovsk who have a reknowned set of DD guns, a single good torpedo attack eclipses everything they can do with their guns.  Tashkent can rush / ambush something, crush it with 9 torpedoes, and then barely over 1 minute later, all her torps are ready for action again at 69 seconds, faster if you do TBM3 upgrade / Torpedo Armament Expert / Adrenaline Rush.  Torpedoes are what get you real damage as a DD in Co-op,  not guns, and Tashkent's very fast reloading 9 torps are very handy.

There are cases where even in a DD, you drop torps kill something, and then another comes sooner than you wanted.  When this happens, you are glad you got fast reloading torpedoes like Tashkent's, Fletcher torps, IJN F3's, etc.  2+ minutes waiting for a reload can be a drag when you see targets that could have easily been nuked by you.  But you can't.  Because you got a long reload process still.

As for Khab vs Grozovoi in Tier X, I give that win to Khab.

1.  Troll 50mm armor on the hull to angle and tank HE.

2.  Much stronger torpedoes on Khabarovsk.

3.  Khab is faster, 43kts vs 39.5 of Grozovoi.  Speed is everything in the torpedo rush / ambush

Khab 2x5 torps

19.5k damage per

127 seconds reload

Grozovoi 2x5 torps

Much weaker 14.6k damage per

129 seconds reload

Similar torpedo quantity between the two.  Similar, traditional torpedo tube layout.  Similar, long torpedo reload timers.  But Khab has much more powerful torpedoes.  I lost count how many times I've watched Grozovoi players rush some bot BB, put all their torpedoes into it, and the BB is still there.  To the point where I lost respect for it in Co-op.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CIAO]
Members
652 posts
24,805 battles

Well I have the Khab, but enjoy playing the Tashkent more. I took a look and was surprised that my best performing DD is the Gearing, but I enjoy my Fletcher more. I think I'll pass on the Udaloi for now. Thanks for all your feedback.