You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SGT_Ronson_1

At what tier should you have a 19pt captain

58 comments in this topic

Members
20 posts
2,389 battles

At what tier would you not play without a 19 pt captain? ( other than tier 10)

What tier would be the best to grind out captain pts before going forward?

Pretend your answering someone who has no premiums.

[-AGW-]
Members
909 posts
12,287 battles

Depends a lot on the ship. I'd put it at about T8. Bismarck without a 19 pointer is painful. On the other hand Richelieu without a 19 pointer is quite doable.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,289 posts
4 minutes ago, SGT_Ronson_1 said:

Considering the general level of play, even at high tiers, worrying about a 19 point captain really isn't meaningful.

It's nice to have 19 point captains, but only a few ships will significantly improve with one. Concentrate on understanding the mechanics, if you play long enough, the 19 pointers will come.

• Cool 5

[WOLFC]
Members
752 posts
6,110 battles

As has already been said, whether or not you need an X-pt captain depends on the ship. I would argue that in most cases you don’t even need a 19 pointer, just enough for a core build. In general: 14 pts for CL (IFHE and CE), 10 pts for most DDs (CE), 14pts for secondary BBs (AFT and manual secondaries), 10-14 pts for other BBs (FP and/or CE, depending on your play style). Anything else is just gravy and can be overcome with skill.

I generally won’t take a ship above tier 7 without these skills.

• Cool 3

Members
20 posts
2,389 battles

I will not get to play high tiers as I am constantly getting killed by seal clubbers with 19 pt captains in tier 5 and 6 better than standard premiums.    It is ridiculously frustrating knowing that someone is using the 4 pt RL skill on me at tiers 4/5/6.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,909 posts
3,211 battles

T3 :Smile_trollface:

Dropping my high tier CL captain in the Charleston feels wrong on many levels, but the clubbing is worth it.

Seriously, don't judge on 19. You don't need 19 pts even at T10. I just move the captain up the line as I go, and he levels up naturally. By T6 I'd say you need 10. The old standard used to be 15, but that system is gone. Most builds only need 2 4 pt skills, so 14 generally gets you everything essential. So by T8 you should have 14 pts I'd say. Most things after that are just bonus. So don't think of it as I need so many points by such a tier. Just play the game, and let the captain points accrue. Most people don't get a 19pt captain until they have a T10 they play a lot on a line they like. So the answer is there is no tier you need a 19 pt captain for.

• Cool 1

Members
20 posts
2,389 battles
2 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

As has already been said, whether or not you need an X-pt captain depends on the ship. I would argue that in most cases you don’t even need a 19 pointer, just enough for a core build. In general: 14 pts for CL (IFHE and CE), 10 pts for most DDs (CE), 14pts for secondary BBs (AFT and manual secondaries), 10-14 pts for other BBs (FP and/or CE, depending on your play style). Anything else is just gravy and can be overcome with skill.

I generally won’t take a ship above tier 7 without these skills.

thanks,    this was a nice, well rounded answer to the thoughts behind my question as well as answering the specific questions I asked,

thankyou

[_EASY]
Members
265 posts
10,576 battles

I have 19pt commanders in everything from T6 to T10.  It is more bote and my personal preferences.  I place 19pt commanders in the botes I play and enjoy the most , thereby generating more elite commander points making more 19pt commanders....

Edited by MWSVette1

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,235 battles
9 minutes ago, SGT_Ronson_1 said:

I will not get to play high tiers as I am constantly getting killed by seal clubbers with 19 pt captains in tier 5 and 6 better than standard premiums.    It is ridiculously frustrating knowing that someone is using the 4 pt RL skill on me at tiers 4/5/6.

...sorry about that.  Kamikaze is just too much fun with my 19 point Shima captain i would be crazy not to do it.

5 minutes ago, Alienmenace_1 said:

Well, to a somewhat newbie like me. How do you find out what point is your captain?

captain.jpg

[WOLFC]
Members
752 posts
6,110 battles
4 minutes ago, Alienmenace_1 said:

Well, to a somewhat newbie like me. How do you find out what point is your captain?

It’s how many skill points you’ve earned/used. Each captain has a number displayed in their info X/Y, where X is the number of current unspent points and Y is the total number they’ve acquired. 19 points is the max.

8 minutes ago, SGT_Ronson_1 said:

thanks,    this was a nice, well rounded answer to the thoughts behind my question as well as answering the specific questions I asked,

thankyou

No problem, and I would recommend 10 pts for CAs (CE).

I would play whatever lines you enjoy, and when you acumulate enough ECXP through missions (the daily missions regularly drop ECXP) use that to get your highest level captain to 19 points. This will allow you to accumulate ECXP with that commander, which you can use to pad your builds in other lines to get to the thresholds I mentioned in my previous post. It’s also a lot easier if you have a mid-tier premium (tier 6 or 7) of the same nation to help level the commander with first win bonuses and operations, but per your OP that might not be an option for you.

• Cool 1

[PHASE]
Members
5,184 posts
17,661 battles
33 minutes ago, SGT_Ronson_1 said:

Some ships demand higher point captains to be effective. Typically ships that use the IFHE skill need at least 14 points, as they normally need concealment as well.

the reality of 19 point captains comes down too.... are you willing to spend money? If so, you can get them much more quickly, not by buying them but buy using doubloons rather than xp to move captains from ship to ship . Everything is designed for you to spend money on this game...Once the gates open, be prepared... you can justify about any purchase from that point on.

As to your question, 10 point captains can usually compete pretty well in any battle. After that you add "toys" that make your ship stronger in certain areas in specific occasions. Again, IFHE ships typically need higher point captains. 

• Angry 1

[HRVAT]
Members
1,233 posts
9,535 battles
42 minutes ago, SGT_Ronson_1 said:

What country ?

[PTRGT]
Members
357 posts
36,387 battles

I run 19 point Captains on almost all the ship I play every day and I'm using the Free Capt xp to add more.. The majority are on my T8 and up ships but I have a few on T5 and T6 ships and any of my T7 Premiums (but several of those ships share Captains)

While its true many ship can be played well with 15 point Captains several I've found need those last 4 points to complete them as a fully playable ship.

Members
240 posts
8,440 battles

OK, thank you all for making it clear to me. I have a total of 6 ships and the captains range from 7 to 13.

[POP]
Members
549 posts
6,374 battles

I keep 19pt captains in the ships I play the most regardless of tier.  This way every game builds free captain xp so I can make more 19 pt captains.   But to answer your question more specifically here is a list of ships that have 19pt captain my port;

Montana, Worcester, Midway, Shimikazi, Harugamo, Georgia/Massachusetts,  Musashi, Saipan/Enterprise, Lexington,  Atlanta/Sims, Ranger, Giulio Cesar, Langley, Umikazi

Edited by HallaSnackbar
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
Supertester
22,803 posts
12,776 battles

It depends on how much real money you want to spend on retraining captains as you move them up. You can retrain them for free/reduced time for credits but that starts becoming unviable by the time a captain has 10 points.

Members
1,254 posts
15,940 battles
1 hour ago, SGT_Ronson_1 said:

Sorry about that if you've run into my 19pt Isokaze commander either in her or my Kamikaze.

Think of it as on the job training. I always did when I was getting my aft kicked coming up the lower tiers in the beginning.

[POP]
Members
549 posts
6,374 battles
1 hour ago, SGT_Ronson_1 said:

Umikazi + RL =  winning

In all seriousness you would be silly not to run a 19 point captain in any ship you play a lot regardless of tier,  it is how you build up that free captain xp.  The truth is those extra skills make less of a difference than the experience attained while you are leveling that captain.   If you are getting clubbed it is not because they have a better captain or ship, its because they are simply better.

[A-O]
Members
785 posts
8,064 battles

To me the biggest advantage of 19pt (besides elite CXP) is that I can spec for CA and BB duty and swap him between ships.

Example: Include Torpedo skill (3pt) for the CA (wasted on most BBs) and manual secondaries (4pt) for BB (wasted on CA).

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,228 posts
17,738 battles
2 hours ago, SGT_Ronson_1 said:

At what tier would you not play without a 19 pt captain?

Most of my Captains, even the tier 9 and 10 ships, are NOT 19 pointers. I just sort of go with "Run what ya brung!"

[GWG]
Members
6,497 posts

I only have 3) 19 point captains and a number of 18 pointers.

I put the highest point cap on the ship line I am grinding the most.  If that ship is a known to be a dog (looking at Monarch and the weaker T8 ships), I flip a 10 pointer in there just in case I can't stand it any longer and free-XP past it to the next one.

I keep the captains flexible enough so they can serve on the premium ships if needed at another tier.

Once they get to tier 10, it's pretty much a dead-end unless I start taking an interest in Clan Battles.  I currently have a 3 point captain on my Worchester.  The 19 pointer went to the Fletcher.

But it occasionally makes it's way down to the Smith...  lol

[ARGSY]
Members
15,106 posts
9,860 battles
2 hours ago, SGT_Ronson_1 said:

Depending on how you managed your fleet, you might not have any 19-pointers even at Tier 10. A 19 point commander will not save you if your game skills are awful, so don't sweat not having them.

Premium ships of various nations are available in the armory for coal, and for free XP if you have enough (the Tier 7 British battleship Nelson is 375,000). 

Pick a ship you love to play and use it until you get the second crate every day. Never move the captain out of that ship. 

Play all events such as Rogue Wave, Space Battles, Halloween battles that give the freaky ships with the loan captains, as they all generate elite commander XP, and this can be banked up to help promote your highest captain to 19 points.

Sign up for the public test server and play that so you get free flags that help you train captains up, and spam the Resources crates always, for the same reason. 

When you get to Tier 8, you can start on the Yamamoto and Halsey campaigns that each give 15-point commanders with special powers.

Yes, getting the first one is a horrific grind. Yes, it takes discipline and determination. No, there is no easy way around that. But it will pay off in the end, and you can pace yourself so the task doesn't break you.

[LOSC]
Members
467 posts

In my Opinion: Don't even listen to anyone who shows less than 8,000 battles. But those that have over this should know what they are talking about good or bad it is what it is.

And if they have more posts than battles....what the heck they talk more than game???!!!

Edited by Halli_SPARTA
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[OO7]
Members
3,832 posts
9,054 battles
5 minutes ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

In my Opinion: Don't even listen to anyone who shows less than 8,000 battles. But those that have over this should know what they are talking about good or bad it is what it is.

And if they have more posts than battles....what the heck they talk more than game???!!!

Why would I listen to you then?

• Funny 1