Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xalmgrey

Ranked Sprints show how flawed regular ranked is.

99 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,169
[PQUOD]
Members
2,059 posts
4,196 battles

I don't understand why you set yourself up for failure WG. Clearly people like the ranked sprints that are fast, fun and generally enjoyable to do. And then i see you put up rank season 13:

ranks.thumb.png.b6710df79f7991220cbb54b2e09862c2.png

 

Wow the word grind doesn't just come to mind but more like grinding burning searing pain. Assuming each star is one win that looks to be one hell of a grind. Not to mention the sheer lack of irrevocable ranks under 12. How is it you guys cannot see that clearly the community gets burnt out by rank runs like this? Most everyone i knew took part in the ranked sprint because it was fun, easy to do and not a huge stress like this is.

After seeing the grind involved here i'm not even going to try this ranked season. It's not worth the salt or the stress. If only you guys could fashion ranked plays to be a bit more like ranked sprint it might be more appealing to a wider audience. I'm not saying everyone should be able to hit rank 1 like the sprint. But it would be nice to see ranked play less grindy too. A middle ground would be nice.

  • Cool 22
  • Boring 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
180
[-AGW-]
Members
918 posts
12,336 battles

Wow. That's bad. 

To me even Ranked Sprint is just on the edge of tolerable, especially if you can't bring any premiums to the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,169
[PQUOD]
Members
2,059 posts
4,196 battles
4 minutes ago, NashW8 said:

Wow. That's bad. 

To me even Ranked Sprint is just on the edge of tolerable, especially if you can't bring any premiums to the table.

Agreed. They could make it more palatable by adding more irrevocable ranks.

The thing that gets me is how intimidating this looks compared to ranked sprint. And that is a problem for the ranked population if people avoid ranked play altogether due to the sheer amount of grinding with little to no reprieve past 12. If people avoid ranked play altogether due to this it's kinda no wonder it turns into a salt fest in the lower ranks quickly. That in itself is enough reason to avoid rank.

WG seems to do everything in extremes. Even setting up ranked play.

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
126
[FYL]
Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

Yea I like ranked sprint since its feasible enough to make progress that I can make an attempt to rank out. With seasons like the upcoming one it'll be more of an occasional activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[AAA]
Members
175 posts
12,901 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

It's about keeping people playing....constantly. 

Or to break it down even further to get people to spend.

This is a bit early and is scheduled to coincide with CBs. I have to think they will postpone this ranked season.

For those talking about the grind and comparing regular ranked to ranked jr., if you feel this way then regular ranked is definitely not for you. There really should be some sort of qualifications to complete before someone is allowed into ranked. It's not for everyone.

If they don't change this regular ranked season it's going to work in the opposite direction. It won't get people playing more; it will drive people away from the game due to burnout.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,001
[SIDE]
Members
2,648 posts

Regular ranked sucks. Always has. Sprint is a glimpse at what it could be. Bump it up or down a few  tiers and remove all premium ships and captain skills. Leave unrevokable ranks like sprint. Make it “Uber ranked”

  • Cool 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,169
[PQUOD]
Members
2,059 posts
4,196 battles
12 minutes ago, awiggin said:

It's about keeping people playing....constantly. 

It had the opposite effect on my desire to play it. All i had to do was look at how many stars there were and the sheer lack of irrevocable ranks below 12. I mean there should be a couple more up to rank 5 at least. That leaves plenty of stars to flesh out the ones worthy of rank 1 without burning everyone else out.

I'd be fine with playing rank and not making rank 1 if there was more irrevocable ranks. But why bother if i know its nothing but sheer stress past 12? I'd rather do something else fun.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,210
[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,830 posts
3,809 battles

619656858_Screenshot_20190720-144249_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a213faa51cce262895b9b81e1ceab63f.jpg

  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,208
[WOLF7]
Members
12,292 posts
12 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

It had the opposite effect on my desire to play it. All i had to do was look at how many stars there were and the sheer lack of irrevocable ranks below 12. I mean there should be a couple more up to rank 5 at least. That leaves plenty of stars to flesh out the ones worthy of rank 1 without burning everyone else out.

I'd be fine with playing rank and not making rank 1 if there was more irrevocable ranks. But why bother if i know its nothing but sheer stress past 12? I'd rather do something else fun.

Never even touched ranked, the events alone managed to burn me out. But it seems clear they want people playing constantly, with all these grindy events, and now super grindy ranked.:Smile_sceptic:

Never got this whole brute force approach to getting your players to play more and spend more, it's certainly had the opposite effect on me.:cap_wander:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,113
[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,816 posts
13,870 battles

More irrevogable ranks? Hell no, thats only help to potato stay in some leagues they dont should stay. Nothing is worse then get a bad player in your team in rank 5 to 1.

  • Cool 2
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
382
[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,149 posts
24,144 battles

If they made the rewards better for 10 through 1  they would see a heavy increase in play.   Right now i dont see the value in playing this long version of ranked.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,169
[PQUOD]
Members
2,059 posts
4,196 battles
8 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

More irrevogable ranks? Hell no, thats only help to potato stay in some leagues they dont should stay. Nothing is worse then get a bad player in your team in rank 5 to 1.

Catering to a small audience never works out for gaming companies.

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,556
[NDA]
Supertester
5,298 posts
16,139 battles

At this point I'm not sure what makes me tired of Rank. 
WG ignoring the problems players have with Regular Rank. 
Or having another season of Regular Rank coming at me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,113
[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,816 posts
13,870 battles
5 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Catering to a small audience never works out for gaming companies.

Not everthing is made for the "bigger" audience.

  • Boring 2
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,169
[PQUOD]
Members
2,059 posts
4,196 battles
3 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

At this point I'm not sure what makes me tired of Rank. 
WG ignoring the problems players have with Regular Rank. 
Or having another season of Regular Rank coming at me. 

You always try to rank out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,518
[PHASE]
Members
5,274 posts
17,785 battles
31 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

619656858_Screenshot_20190720-144249_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a213faa51cce262895b9b81e1ceab63f.jpg

That scene was so damn good and funny. Complaining about the pots and pans cracks me up everytime I think about it. Then there is Buster Scruggs...that guy was perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,556
[NDA]
Supertester
5,298 posts
16,139 battles
2 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

You always try to rank out?

I've reached Rank 1 eight seasons in a row. 
I've provided tons of feed back to WG on the problems I have with Rank and the problems others have with Rank.
I Personally think Same Tier, small team battles which is the format of Rank is a good place to polish a Captains skills. 
My Problem with Rank is the Progression systems that rewards bad behavior, creates a toxic environment and is driving players away from the mode. 
I hope WG decides to wake up and realize that all those new shiny Steel ships isn't keeping captains involved in the game mode. 
That between the grind and the toxic nature of Rank, this game mode is seeing a population decline. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
302
[RNG]
Members
736 posts
4,109 battles
30 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

More irrevogable ranks? Hell no, thats only help to potato stay in some leagues they dont should stay. Nothing is worse then get a bad player in your team in rank 5 to 1.

People keep on saying that, but Sprint has more irrevocable ranks but good players rank out pretty fast. I don't think more irrevocable ranks will make normal ranked worse than it already is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,113
[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,816 posts
13,870 battles
1 minute ago, Leopard_IX said:

People keep on saying that, but Sprint has more irrevocable ranks but good players rank out pretty fast. I don't think more irrevocable ranks will make normal ranked worse than it already is.

Sprints are so fast and low tier irrevocable ranks dont matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,518
[PHASE]
Members
5,274 posts
17,785 battles
1 hour ago, xalmgrey said:

I don't understand why you set yourself up for failure WG. Clearly people like the ranked sprints that are fast, fun and generally enjoyable to do. And then i see you put up rank season 13:

ranks.thumb.png.b6710df79f7991220cbb54b2e09862c2.png

 

Wow the word grind doesn't just come to mind but more like grinding burning searing pain. Assuming each star is one win that looks to be one hell of a grind. Not to mention the sheer lack of irrevocable ranks under 12. How is it you guys cannot see that clearly the community gets burnt out by rank runs like this? Most everyone i knew took part in the ranked sprint because it was fun, easy to do and not a huge stress like this is.

After seeing the grind involved here i'm not even going to try this ranked season. It's not worth the salt or the stress. If only you guys could fashion ranked plays to be a bit more like ranked sprint it might be more appealing to a wider audience. I'm not saying everyone should be able to hit rank 1 like the sprint. But it would be nice to see ranked play less grindy too. A middle ground would be nice.

I am a huge fan of ranked. I simply lack the mental fortitude to deal with some of my teammates to simply let it go. That is clearly coupled with........I may lack the skill to carry and rank out quickly, nor do I try to manipulate the system to rank out either, many do.

It is another game mode and necessary for this game. Higher end players use this as a gauge to determine new clan members. To some this is the only mode of play they enjoy playing.

The only people that really hate ranked, usually can't rank out. It's that simple. I know my limitations concerning nerd rage, booze and chat bans... Hard core ranked isn't for me. Could I?...... I am sure I could.....But would probably be banned from the game before I did.

Never criticize different gamemodes, We need as much variety as possible. All skills levels, and game modes.

Edited by Sweetsie
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
15 posts
1,455 battles

Question....

 

what would be the purpose of making people play F2P or premium as much as possible....is it the chance that they would spend money or is that their computing power is being used to mine crypto while they play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,910
[RLGN]
Members
12,082 posts
21,659 battles
1 hour ago, xalmgrey said:

After seeing the grind involved here i'm not even going to try this ranked season. It's not worth the salt or the stress. If only you guys could fashion ranked plays to be a bit more like ranked sprint it might be more appealing to a wider audience. I'm not saying everyone should be able to hit rank 1 like the sprint. But it would be nice to see ranked play less grindy too. A middle ground would be nice.

Play to Rank 15 for the season flag, and to save a few stars for next season, if it’s more to your liking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
497
[BS]
Members
1,859 posts
9,456 battles
9 minutes ago, captain_giltric said:

Question....

 

what would be the purpose of making people play F2P or premium as much as possible....is it the chance that they would spend money or is that their computing power is being used to mine crypto while they play?

where did that rumor come from anyway? thats super sneaky and smart if you think about it... i wouldn't doubt it either.

 

whats funny is that when looking at PC power usage, in port it actually makes my GPU a little hotter then actually playing the game. what's going on there?

Edited by HorrorRoach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×