You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jester_of_War

It's over!

23 comments in this topic

[_RNG_]
Members
777 posts
6,468 battles

I finally finished the excessive and numbing grind to get the Benham. Ugh, what a chore... but the (mostly) Free-to-Play in me meant I wasn't willing to forego a 'free' Tier 9 Destroyer. So I got it.

And as I've said before: I don't think you were doing yourself any favors Wargaming by pushing us to overdo it. That grind was too long.

And on a positive note, the game that finished it for me was in the Hill. That's appropriate somehow.

Not a bad game either (Hill is a lot more fun than you would think for being worse on paper than the tech tree Tier 5 ):

image.thumb.png.81f455894f47d02586d685db584d9170.png

• Cool 6

Beta Testers
1,602 posts
10,096 battles
1 minute ago, Jester_of_War said:

And as I've said before: I don't think you were doing yourself any favors Wargaming by pushing us to overdo it. That grind was too long.

Some of us didn't even bother with it, not because the grind was excessive, but because the prize didn't matter.  To you, it did.  And it worked for WG, and it will always work, because some people want their shinies. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 6

[TARK]
Members
4,079 posts
1,614 battles
10 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

I finally finished the excessive and numbing grind to get the Benham. Ugh, what a chore... but the (mostly) Free-to-Play in me meant I wasn't willing to forego a 'free' Tier 9 Destroyer. So I got it.

And on a positive note, the game that finished it for me was in the Hill. That's appropriate somehow.

Not a bad game either (Hill is a lot more fun than you would think for being worse on paper than the tech tree Tier 5 ):

If it was too long, you wouldnt have completed it.

Grind events arent designed to be fun. They are designed to extract sufficient value from you for the ship.

WG is not a charity.

• Confused 1
  • Boring 3

[HINON]
Supertester
22,103 posts
15,932 battles
1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Grind events arent designed to be fun. They are designed to extract sufficient value from you for the ship.

Correct. Either by getting sufficient played hours / matches out of you, or - uhm - 'encouraging' you to pay monies. Multiples thereof.

• Cool 1

Members
825 posts
13,813 battles

I love how he turned a gripe post (the grind) into a double brag post.

Well I did it! (#1 brag)

And I had a great game, look at my screenshot! (#2)

Well played.

• Boring 2

[BNKR]
Members
1,455 posts
1,653 battles
1 hour ago, Prothall said:

I love how he turned a gripe post (the grind) into a double brag post.

Well I did it! (#1 brag)

Well played.

How sour are those grapes?

[PHASE]
Members
5,177 posts
17,644 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

If it was too long, you wouldnt have completed it.

WG is not a charity.

I read that they just ran out of Benham's and that those that received them in the last 18hrs will have them deducted from their account and given to supertesters and friends of employees. They didn't think this many would be obtained legally.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[H_]
Members
2,884 posts
13,246 battles
1 hour ago, Jester_of_War said:

I finished this AM as well.  For me, the last ship was my go-to ship: the Akizuki.  That last match was such a relief from this weeks long grind.  The Hill is nice and I haven't played the Benham yet.  Time to take some game time off. 

I'm with the OP:  too long and too much.  And yes, it's a tier IX premium for free and I understand it takes more to get more....  And, if I were a better player, this exercise might have been just s tad bit shorter....  Let's hope our host considers the average players and cuts us a break......

[O_O]
Members
3,941 posts
17,850 battles

I couldn't convince myself to tackle savage battles so no Benham and no worries. I'll get close to 100 apocalypse cammo and that is fine by me. Benham will be available for coal soon...

Edited by Khafni

[Y0L0]
Members
10,054 posts
14,994 battles

got my free benham today and still have 62 token left  (will be 71 tomorrow)  14 more camo I guess

[PHASE]
Members
5,177 posts
17,644 battles
14 minutes ago, Khafni said:

I couldn't convince myself to tackle savage battles so no Benham and no worries. I'll get close to 100 apocalypse cammo and that is fine by me. Benham will be available for coal soon...

don't forget $3 xmas crates.

[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles

Just an observation, it's funny the way different people react to grinds.

Some seem to feel obligated and hate the 'directed' play.

Some, and I'm one of these, appreciate having concrete tasks to complete to direct our play choices. I have far too many ships in my port, and I enjoy all tiers I've played so far, so if I have to decide entirely on my own what tier, what ship, what game mode to play... it can be stressful. So I appreciate the nudge provided by directed grinds.

• Cool 2

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
721 posts
5,458 battles
9 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

Some, and I'm one of these, appreciate having concrete tasks to complete to direct our play choices. I have far too many ships in my port, and I enjoy all tiers I've played so far, so if I have to decide entirely on my own what tier, what ship, what game mode to play... it can be stressful. So I appreciate the nudge provided by directed grinds.

Agree wholeheartedly, but I am getting to a saturation point between personal missions for tier x and campaigns that take forever and the constant barrage of directives and weekly missions.  Even with all that “nudging” I still spend way too much time gazing at my 180 ship port wondering what to play.

Edited by missile742
  • Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
4,079 posts
1,614 battles
37 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I finished this AM as well.  For me, the last ship was my go-to ship: the Akizuki.  That last match was such a relief from this weeks long grind.  The Hill is nice and I haven't played the Benham yet.  Time to take some game time off. 

I'm with the OP:  too long and too much.  And yes, it's a tier IX premium for free and I understand it takes more to get more....  And, if I were a better player, this exercise might have been just s tad bit shorter....  Let's hope our host considers the average players and cuts us a break......

I'll believe you when you decide not to work a grind.

[USCG]
Members
469 posts
16,416 battles

I believe the HILL and BENHAM will be the first two freemiums I will not acquire in my 3+ years with WoWs. Just don’t have the time or desire. In the middle of moving five states away to be near my granddaughter (Yes, I’m kinda old...) so I’m kinda busy right now. I must admit, was away from the game for two-weeks while house hunting and didn’t miss it much. Used to love it, now...meh...

[BS]
Members
1,847 posts
9,378 battles

i ended up spending for 7x crates to catch up... kitchen cieling collapsed. i got mine today as well. seems like the 7x crate purchase was what they were hoping people would go for

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,203 posts
17,725 battles
2 hours ago, Prothall said:

Well I did it! (#1 brag)

AND he still got the whine in!

[HELLS]
Members
2,347 posts
22,783 battles
3 hours ago, Nukelavee45 said:

Some of us didn't even bother with it, not because the grind was excessive, but because the prize didn't matter.  To you, it did.  And it worked for WG, and it will always work, because some people want their shinies. 

Some people want the freebees because the ones in the Premium Shop cost so damned much...and some of them are not worth the price we pay for them, which is why all of my latest acquisitions have been freebees and coal ships....

Beta Testers
1,602 posts
10,096 battles
33 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Some people want the freebees because the ones in the Premium Shop cost so damned much...and some of them are not worth the price we pay for them, which is why all of my latest acquisitions have been freebees and coal ships....

I didn't say there was anything wrong in wanting the freebies.  I just think it's whining to complain about teh hoops you jump through to get one, like the OP did.  It's something you won't see available, much, likely, if at all for any reason, so, just do teh grind.  It's not like having to do insane work to get a minimal bonus at work.

[O_O]
Members
3,941 posts
17,850 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

don't forget $3 xmas crates.

I know about those! Plan to splurge again this Christmas.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,087 posts
9,812 battles

I'm 200 tokens short, and I consider that I might have succeeded if I dropped absolutely everything else for this entire patch and ground out cash (and everything else) in Savage Battles, every moment of playing time I had. I was dubious about my prospects from the start, but then surprised by how quickly the earnings piled up when I forced myself to it to bypass some really obnoxious standard-mode grinds.

Knowing what I would have had to do to complete it (alas, too late now), I considered it an appropriate grind for winning a Tier 9 destroyer in a month, but two months would have been better. It's unfortunate that they had to do this as a single-patch gap filler, because it could otherwise have been a challenging but still enjoyable exercise.

I can't imagine what the Cossack grind would have been like if they had crammed it all into a single patch. 

I wasn't going to give up this entire patch to Savage Battles to get all that stuff done because I'm simply having too much fun grinding my tech-tree ships, and I didn't want to give that up (especially not with a 200% first-win week smack-bang in the middle). If I had no major grinds on the go and all I wanted to do was spam a fast-paced battle mode to farm Elite Captain XP like a boss, that might have been another matter. But as fun as the ships were to play, too much of it tired me out too quickly, unlike Space Battles torpedobeats - which I LITERALLY stayed up all night playing near the end of that event.

[KRAK]
Members
3,386 posts
19,206 battles
43 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm 200 tokens short, and I consider that I might have succeeded if I dropped absolutely everything else for this entire patch and ground out cash (and everything else) in Savage Battles, every moment of playing time I had. I was dubious about my prospects from the start, but then surprised by how quickly the earnings piled up when I forced myself to it to bypass some really obnoxious standard-mode grinds.

Knowing what I would have had to do to complete it (alas, too late now), I considered it an appropriate grind for winning a Tier 9 destroyer in a month, but two months would have been better. It's unfortunate that they had to do this as a single-patch gap filler, because it could otherwise have been a challenging but still enjoyable exercise.

I can't imagine what the Cossack grind would have been like if they had crammed it all into a single patch. 

I wasn't going to give up this entire patch to Savage Battles to get all that stuff done because I'm simply having too much fun grinding my tech-tree ships, and I didn't want to give that up (especially not with a 200% first-win week smack-bang in the middle). If I had no major grinds on the go and all I wanted to do was spam a fast-paced battle mode to farm Elite Captain XP like a boss, that might have been another matter. But as fun as the ships were to play, too much of it tired me out too quickly, unlike Space Battles torpedobeats - which I LITERALLY stayed up all night playing near the end of that event.

You did not need to play savage battles to complete the grind. I did 90 percent of it in randoms.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,087 posts
9,812 battles
1 hour ago, Vaffu said:

You did not need to play savage battles to complete the grind. I did 90 percent of it in randoms.

I know; I did the first two directives in Randoms and parts of the third and fourth, skipping into Savage Battles to avoid having to do multiple base and free XP grinds; the Savage tasks were just easier. 

I'm talking in terms of the entire grind, including the separate credit-mining missions, needed to obtain the Benham for absolutely free. Completing the directives only gave out so many fuel tokens, and I preferred to obtain the Hill for nothing rather than pay for her at the start. Plus I don't think real life would have allowed me the necessary time to complete enough dailies to get the fuel tokens for fifty, or whatever it was. I had abandoned all thought of getting the Benham right at the start, and went into salvage mode; get the Hill, maybe a few of those commanders, and hope to win a permacamo from a non-premium crate.

The latter did not come to pass, but in terms of grinds I managed to finish and other things I got done while trying to complete the normal-mode directives, it hasn't been an unproductive patch. Among other things, I am about 13% of the way to a fourth 19 point captain (having already created two this year).