Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Incomitatus

Just Finished the Grind for USS Hill

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

135
[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles

As title says...

But I already had USS Hill, so I'm rolling in some sweet doubloons and a port slot (I don't care about the commander).

It was a very satisfactory final battle, too. Random, in USS Nicholas. I savaged the three red DDs. I only got the kill on one of them (a Kamikaze R I played cat and mouse with for five minutes), but I was the nightmare for all three, spotting them and doing at least half of the damage on each of them. I blind torp'd a Farragut in his smoke... didn't sink him, but needless to say I did the lion's share of the damage on that ship.

And I successfully YOLO charged the last enemy BB. You don't get to do that in mid-tier and up very often, but the situation was right.

Most surprisingly, I laid a smoke screen for some friendly BB's, saving them from some withering incoming fire while I stayed out and spotted for them, and they actually used it correctly, expressed appreciation, and one of them +1'd me! That's rarer than unicorns.

Couldn't have asked for a better end to the grind.

Now I'm going back down into the basement tiers for a while to relax.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,329
[ARGSY]
Members
15,108 posts
9,874 battles
15 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

Couldn't have asked for a better end to the grind.

Indeed.

15 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

Now I'm going back down into the basement tiers for a while to relax.

I should be doing that, but I had a lot of play time last night and I decided that come hell or high water, I was going to progress the permanent campaign which leads to the Shinonome. I think I'm over the worst of that now, but a little bit of low-tier would not go astray; what's your favourite basement-tier ship? (Mine is probably Ishizuchi.)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles
On 7/20/2019 at 6:17 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Indeed.

I should be doing that, but I had a lot of play time last night and I decided that come hell or high water, I was going to progress the permanent campaign which leads to the Shinonome. I think I'm over the worst of that now, but a little bit of low-tier would not go astray; what's your favourite basement-tier ship? (Mine is probably Ishizuchi.)

Gosh, hard to narrow it down.

For Tier II, USS Sampson, no question. I've had a 50%+ win rate in that DD since the first day I played her and I'm currently at 64% with 100ish battles. A few of the professional seal clubbers down there have communicated that they've come to respect me if they see me in Sampson on the enemy team and know they're going to have a hard game. Which is largely why I play Tier II still... I like turning the tables.

However, I'm starting to feel a little seal-clubby myself in my Tier II US DDs. I fairly recently picked up Umikaze, Tachibana Lima, and Longjiang which play very differently and I've enjoyed them so far.

For Tier III... I really enjoy Caledon and Friant for cruisers and Nasau and Dreadnaught for BBs. None of my DDs stand out... I like them and play them all from time to time, but no favorites.

If I really had to narrow it down... it would depend on what type of ship I wanted to play, and my choices would be Sampson, Friant, or Nasau.

Edited by Incomitatus
Confused Kaiser and Nasau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,897
[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,641 posts
1,067 battles
42 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

As title says...

But I already had USS Hill, so I'm rolling in some sweet doubloons and a port slot (I don't care about the commander).

It was a very satisfactory final battle, too. Random, in USS Nicholas. I savaged the three red DDs. I only got the kill on one of them (a Kamikaze R I played cat and mouse with for five minutes), but I was the nightmare for all three, spotting them and doing at least half of the damage on each of them. I blind torp'd a Farragut in his smoke... didn't sink him, but needless to say I did the lion's share of the damage on that ship.

And I successfully YOLO charged the last enemy BB. You don't get to do that in mid-tier and up very often, but the situation was right.

Most surprisingly, I laid a smoke screen for some friendly BB's, saving them from some withering incoming fire while I stayed out and spotted for them, and they actually used it correctly, expressed appreciation, and one of them +1'd me! That's rarer than unicorns.

Couldn't have asked for a better end to the grind.

Now I'm going back down into the basement tiers for a while to relax.

Hey Incomitatus,

Congrats on getting the Hill again and getting your "sweet doubloons" =). Have you tried the Hill yet and if you have, what do you like about her? The battle you played looks like you had a great time! 

So are you a DD player mainly or do you just dabble in DD play and like other ships?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles
2 minutes ago, Kami said:

Hey Incomitatus,

Congrats on getting the Hill again and getting your "sweet doubloons" =). Have you tried the Hill yet and if you have, what do you like about her? The battle you played looks like you had a great time! 

So are you a DD player mainly or do you just dabble in DD play and like other ships?

Thank you. Yes, I spent last evening playing Hill almost exclusively. Very frustrating games, a long string of losses (and then a short string of victories). Those weren't the fault of the ship, though. It's a capable vessel, it just took me some time to figure her out... and I'm fairly new to Tier V DDs. I've played a lot of CL and BB at Tier V, but I was lagging behind on destroyers until just now.

I'm not a main of anything, really. I've played cruisers the most, but not by a wide margin.

Anyway, what do I think of the Hill...

I appreciate her firepower. She's capable of coming out on top in many destroyer duels, even against T6 Farragut. Firing from smoke, she's good against light cruisers, too, and okay at setting fires. The AP is quite usable against lightly armored targets, too, as a Langley discovered the hard way in my last game in Hill. And the torpedoes are serviceable if you're used to US DDs. 

Great speed, good maneuverability.

The thing that took me some time to figure out, though, is that it's essential to use smoke. She's a big enough target that dodging incoming fire is unreliable if it's coming from accurate nearby ships. With her fairly lackluster concealment, she does get spotted first by enemy DDs, and they can lay on some hurt quickly. Aggressive smoke use is vital, even more so than other US DDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
927
[PQUOD]
Members
3,062 posts
11,668 battles

Congratulations on getting the Hill. I read your comments. I agree with you. It is a very capable ship. I picked it up a couple days ago along the way to the Benham. I really like the little ship as well. The extra gun gives it a advantage over the Nicholas in the gun dept.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,878 posts
3,311 battles

I really want to like the Hill more than the Nicholas, but:

1. The centerline torpedo rack is only a 25% cut in torpedoes launched... but you lose the rapid traversing of side-mounted tubes on the Nicholas because of the Hill's centerline mount, which is worse than the 25% firepower gap would imply.

2. The Hill's gun between her funnels has literally the worst firing angles because of the ship's boats, so having the extra gun over Nick is often useless (although you can sorta do like you do with the Tier III casemate broadside cruisers and WASD back ripple-firing as your barrels align).

3. I swear her reload speed was nerfed since the first stats got floated. I really wanted Hill to be a Clemson at Tier V.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
270
[WOLFC]
Members
618 posts
22,385 battles
14 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I was going to progress the permanent campaign which leads to the Shinonome.

I've had the Shinonome for a while and I like the ship. It was my first IJN DD and it introduced me to the stealthy torpedo boat style of DD play. The guns pack a formidable punch, too, and I find few things as satisfying as using them to sink gunboat destroyers. For me it was worth the grind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,099
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,025 posts
17,147 battles
17 hours ago, Kami said:

Hey Incomitatus,

Congrats on getting the Hill again and getting your "sweet doubloons" =). Have you tried the Hill yet and if you have, what do you like about her? The battle you played looks like you had a great time! 

So are you a DD player mainly or do you just dabble in DD play and like other ships?

I just got hill as well. Took her out for 1 coop and loved the guns.

The torpedoes are ok.

Great ship for free.

I look forward to randoms and using those guns.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,488
[TNG-2]
Members
2,038 posts
4,306 battles

Yall can have that grinding crap. Im done with it. I feel like its a job more than entertainment.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,262
[O_O]
Members
5,698 posts
13,040 battles
16 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Yall can have that grinding crap. Im done with it. I feel like its a job more than entertainment.

For Benham, I could sympathize with this sentiment.  Hill, however, wasn't hard to earn at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
900
[4HIM]
Members
2,721 posts
9,487 battles
52 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

For Benham, I could sympathize with this sentiment.  Hill, however, wasn't hard to earn at all.

Well, I was away for the first week of this, and will be gone after today.  It won't be one I will get.  Congrats to all who did.  I've seen a lot of them being played.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,329
[ARGSY]
Members
15,108 posts
9,874 battles
3 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Well, I was away for the first week of this, and will be gone after today.  It won't be one I will get.  Congrats to all who did.  I've seen a lot of them being played.  

It's like a Mahan at Tier 5, with the torpedoes and their launchers nerfed for balance. I don't like the way the bilateral launcher always fires first, leaving you with no option to fire a single set off one side and THEN a double from the other unless you pull some funny tricks that aren't always possible in a very tight spot, but that's a quirk I can get used to. She's a lot of fun in co-op, where I like to chill a lot, and she can take my US 19-pointer. Ironically, she's also boosting my Mahan captain up to his 10th point while I try to decide whether to give her another chance in my fleet (I was so disgusted with her the first time that I FXP'd to Benson, but I've tried her since in PTS and the buffs seem to have made a significantly better ship out of her).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles
8 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

Yall can have that grinding crap. Im done with it. I feel like its a job more than entertainment.

As I commented in a different discussion, I appreciate the way the grinds make the decision of what to play for me. But of course, everyone is different and the grinds are entirely optional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles
21 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Congratulations on getting the Hill. I read your comments. I agree with you. It is a very capable ship. I picked it up a couple days ago along the way to the Benham. I really like the little ship as well. The extra gun gives it a advantage over the Nicholas in the gun dept.

Thank you. See comments below for my thoughts on Hill vs Nicholas.
 

16 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I really want to like the Hill more than the Nicholas, but:

1. The centerline torpedo rack is only a 25% cut in torpedoes launched... but you lose the rapid traversing of side-mounted tubes on the Nicholas because of the Hill's centerline mount, which is worse than the 25% firepower gap would imply.

2. The Hill's gun between her funnels has literally the worst firing angles because of the ship's boats, so having the extra gun over Nick is often useless (although you can sorta do like you do with the Tier III casemate broadside cruisers and WASD back ripple-firing as your barrels align).

3. I swear her reload speed was nerfed since the first stats got floated. I really wanted Hill to be a Clemson at Tier V.

I don't necessarily think Hill beats out Nicholas in the gun department. Nicholas has a faster reload (4 seconds vs 4.8 seconds) and the gun arcs are easier to use. The only advantage that Hill has there is, provided it gets first shot off with all five guns, higher alpha potential which can matter in DD vs DD engagements. That's not a bad thing, but it requires some planning to use. Where Hill shines is when she can sit in a smoke screen, with no risk of being torpedoed, so she can safely sit broadside to a target and keep all five guns firing. Then she out guns Nicholas, especially with the extra shell providing an extra fire starting chance.

But when fighting in open water, Nicholas outperforms Hill when maneuvering. Nicholas also has a larger HP pool. Hill is half a knot faster, and has a tighter turning circle, but... slower rudder shift. Nicholas really does win in the open. Hill outperforms when firing from safe smoke or over islands.

Anyway, that's why I mentioned how dependent Hill is on aggressive smoke use. I like both ships, but despite some superficial similarities they have different play styles. Playing Hill like a Nicholas clone kept getting me killed.

And yes, I think the reload was nerfed.

As far as torps go... the effective use of Nicholas' torpedoes from both sides is soooo situational, that I don't mind the loss of that easy capability. Usually when I'm employing the torpedoes I'm either ambushing, YOLO rushing, or launching into or out of smoke. In all those cases, there's time to pre-align the center mount. It doesn't matter to how I play - I'll use the torpedoes when called for, but I'm primarily a gunboat captain.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,878 posts
3,311 battles
4 hours ago, Incomitatus said:

Thank you. See comments below for my thoughts on Hill vs Nicholas.
 

I don't necessarily think Hill beats out Nicholas in the gun department. Nicholas has a faster reload (4 seconds vs 4.8 seconds) and the gun arcs are easier to use. The only advantage that Hill has there is, provided it gets first shot off with all five guns, higher alpha potential which can matter in DD vs DD engagements. That's not a bad thing, but it requires some planning to use. Where Hill shines is when she can sit in a smoke screen, with no risk of being torpedoed, so she can safely sit broadside to a target and keep all five guns firing. Then she out guns Nicholas, especially with the extra shell providing an extra fire starting chance.

But when fighting in open water, Nicholas outperforms Hill when maneuvering. Nicholas also has a larger HP pool. Hill is half a knot faster, and has a tighter turning circle, but... slower rudder shift. Nicholas really does win in the open. Hill outperforms when firing from safe smoke or over islands.

Anyway, that's why I mentioned how dependent Hill is on aggressive smoke use. I like both ships, but despite some superficial similarities they have different play styles. Playing Hill like a Nicholas clone kept getting me killed.

And yes, I think the reload was nerfed.

As far as torps go... the effective use of Nicholas' torpedoes from both sides is soooo situational, that I don't mind the loss of that easy capability. Usually when I'm employing the torpedoes I'm either ambushing, YOLO rushing, or launching into or out of smoke. In all those cases, there's time to pre-align the center mount. It doesn't matter to how I play - I'll use the torpedoes when called for, but I'm primarily a gunboat captain.

I think Nicholas is generally better than Hill, but not so much better that Hill is unusable. I think Hill would have the edge in my book if their base reload speed and HP was the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×