Sign in to follow this  
Dakota_Red

Shell type changing from HE to AP on it's own

10 comments in this topic

Members
55 posts
5,919 battles

Since about 2 patches ago the shell type on my DDs has been sporadically changing from HE to AP without input from me.  It seems to be more of a problem with the T5 and T6 destroyers.  This hasn't been happening on on my cruisers.  I inlcude a replay that shows a few examples.

The changes occur at approximately 17:06, 15:19, and 13:43 on the countdown clock...and probably a couple more times. 

My software is up to date and I ran a check and repair with no results.  Again, this only happens on my destroyers,  without rhyme or reason, and I'm sure it isn't a case of fumbling fingers.  It hasn't been fatal yet but is definitely annoying.

Thoughts?

20190720_040353_PASD014-Leader-1919_04_Archipelago.wowsreplay

[O_O]
Members
5,694 posts
13,012 battles

I haven't watched the replay, and I assume you probably already know this, but...

Hitting 1 or 2 twice will immediately force change your ammo type.

Hitting 1 or 2 once will queue the new ammo type to be loaded after you shoot what is currently loaded.  Are you sure this isn't what is happening?

Members
55 posts
5,919 battles

yes, quite sure.

Thanks for your response....no need for you to watch the replay, it is for the support team.   The replay will show that there is no highlighting of the HE button indicating that I chose to change ammo type.... it occurs only with the DDs, not with my cruisers.... and it has only been happening since two or three patches ago.

[RLGN]
Members
12,018 posts
21,513 battles

Was going to say maybe a laptop touchpad? But if no choice highlighting then probably not.

Members
55 posts
5,919 battles

Pretty much a standard desktop set up.  I use the top row numbers not the keypad.

I initially thought that maybe I was being a bit fat fingered but watching some replays that doesn't pan out.  For instance it can happen in the middle of a running gunfight when I'm not remotely thinking about changing ammo type or trying to bring the torps on, so no fingers straying up there.  It just changes ammo type without any reload countdown or highlighting.

I have a feeling that the reply is going to be "try uninstalling and re-installing" but I'm not annoyed enough to do that -- yet.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,300 posts
11,628 battles
2 hours ago, Dakota_Red said:

Since about 2 patches ago the shell type on my DDs has been sporadically changing from HE to AP without input from me.  It seems to be more of a problem with the T5 and T6 destroyers.  This hasn't been happening on on my cruisers.  I inlcude a replay that shows a few examples.

The changes occur at approximately 17:06, 15:19, and 13:43 on the countdown clock...and probably a couple more times. 

My software is up to date and I ran a check and repair with no results.  Again, this only happens on my destroyers,  without rhyme or reason, and I'm sure it isn't a case of fumbling fingers.  It hasn't been fatal yet but is definitely annoying.

Thoughts?

Wonder if you got a key on the keyboard going bad. Got a spare one to swap it with to test it?

Could also be that you're grazing "2" when you hit "W" to change speed or think you want to go faster, doesn't help when you're at flank, but I do it in my Shimakaze every time I run her.

[WOLF8]
Members
322 posts
8,176 battles

Do you have a programmable mouse and/or keyboard?  Maybe one of them got accidentally reprogrammed. 

[WOLF5]
Members
2,899 posts
3,206 battles
4 hours ago, Dakota_Red said:

Thoughts?

Watched the replay. The switch occurs very regularly. Every time the switched occured, it was preceded by two things. You switched to torpedoes, launched them, and then switched back to guns. You had HE loaded, and the first salvo was HE and fired all guns at once, and then loaded AP. The fact that all the guns fired at once on the first salvo after the torp launch indicates you had AP queued (which does not show on the replay). Now, the way the game works is that it does not matter whether you hit 1 or 2 after torps, you go back to what you had loaded before. However, if you double tap the 2 key to switch from torps, then you would queue AP, which would cause the ship to unload all the HE on the next salvo and then load AP. 

Now, I don't think this is a bug, because it does not happen every time you switch off torps. So, my guess is that you are hitting the two key twice sometimes to switch back to guns. this is likely because you are in a close situation, and in the heat of the moment, are mashing things, I know I do. It happens at low tiers and in DDs because that's where things often get exciting. Obviously there is no way to confirm this from our side, but you should try checking which keys you're hitting to switch from torps. The 2 key is fine, unless you double tap it. That's when you get a switch. The fact that the AP switch occurs right after you launch torpedoes indicates that your input might actually be the reason. Like I said, try thinking about what keys you hit when you switch back to guns, because I'm betting that's the problem.

It used to be that whatever key you hit to switch back to guns that was the ammo that was loaded. But that was patched a long while back. I'd be surprised if that was a problem again, but if you're absolutely sure you're hitting the right keys then maybe. But try being careful with you keystrokes first.

Members
55 posts
5,919 battles

Thanks to all for your replies and sensible suggestions.

AJTP89....I suppose you may be correct, I will try to be more mindful of what keys I hit....but I'm puzzled that it's something I started doing after 4k battles of not doing that.

Members
55 posts
5,919 battles

Since my last post I went into a training room to test the effects of tapping the AP button after launching torps ....I should have done that earlier.

Anyway, I cannot recreate in the training room what happens in the game. 

Starting with HE loaded and firing a few rounds I load the torps and fire a salvo or two. 

Then:

Tap AP, (2 key), once and it goes back to firing HE without any effect on the AP icon or loading AP.

I load HE again, launch torps again, then:

Tap AP twice, and as expected the HE is still loaded and the AP icon is outlined in orange and begins loading after firing the HE.

This is not what happens in game as AJTP89 acknowledged in his post, " indicates you had AP queued (which does not show on the replay)", if I am reading his post correctly.

I suspect there is a corrupted minor line of code where a yes has become a no, though probably the only test of that is to uninstall / re-install. 

Sign in to follow this