You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_BBaby

An Idea: Unified Event Currency

14 comments in this topic

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,822 posts
3,793 battles

Woke up today and read a nice topic more or less complaining about how hard the Benham grind was. There was truth to it, but it also is a 'free' tier 9. Not exactly a walk in the park. That got me thinking... what if we had one single currency for all these events, as opposed to a new one each update?

For about the past year (I believe Go Navy was the first), we have been bombarded with a non-stop wall of events, arcs, celebrations, etc. At first I was a little appalled, but each one brings new goodies and gives a slight purpose in playing the game. I've grown accustomed to it, but all these new currencies get boring fast. Was hoping the wiki had a count (it doesn't), but I'll bet we have had 10-20 different forms of arsenal/armory currencies cycled through our ports via events, crates, and every other method of acquiring (this next French one brings a 2nd version of the snowflake event using a new currency). It gets old... it really does. "Spend this token by this date but you can still earn the other one in 1 of 5 methods until this date, etc". Its not rocket science, but I also play this game 3 crates a day. My proposition is simple. Make one currency that you can stockpile, and spend it on what you please. It can be called whatever. An ore like uranium or gold, or perhaps just bland 'Event Tokens'. Sure it's one more currency type (on top of coal, steel, ranked/clan tokens, free/captain xp, credits, doubloons), but it's permanent and can be saved and used just like any other currency. This allows 2 main things. Its less of a hassle keeping track of whats what, and secondly, it allows you the benefit of opting out. I did not really want Benham. Premium DDs aren't my thing. I didn't have enough anyhow, but I did scrounge up 700 tokens free. My reward? 170 post-apocalyptic camouflages. I'm not complaining, (the bonuses they give are great) but if I could put those tokens away for the upcoming French special captain, or the next premium ship event, well that would be priceless. Another great example is having Mikhail Kutuzov on day one of ranked was a HUGE benefit. One I much would have liked to take advantage of.

Of course there are several pros and cons to this. Ill try to hit as many as possible.

Pros:

• Ability to pick and chose what we want. We can save our earned tokens for something else, and skip on things we don't need. A dud event (in your personal view) still has purpose.
  • People get goodies on day one. No lingering grind or work. Sometimes its advantageous like a ranked Kuznetzov, sometimes it avoids you being called out like a day 1 Benham player.
  • People can stockpile. Nice to have some in the bank for that emergency expenditure.
  • More motivation for people to invest in event crates, as it is a long term investment.
  • I know for the vast majority of us (especially those unfamiliar with the whole idea of "currency of the week"), it will clear a lot of confusion.

Cons:

• We all know how this ends. Prices will be inflated. Benham will take moderate participation in 2 or 3 events to earn, instead of just a single patch. 
  • Forces new players to play the long game. That new player is gonna have a rough time getting that captain on event #1, especially if prices get inflated.
  • A lot of resources will need to be dumped into the concept on Wargamings part. Its no longer on a per-update basis, but rather balancing a whole dynamic currency system. They can't just have a set amount of gameplay time to earn a goodie (like Benham). They have to coordinate with past and future events and keep things to a universal standard. Don't want to heavily reward stockpiling (though throwing a saver a bone once in a while wouldn't hurt).
  • It will likely de-monetize a lot of small scale crate sales. Why buy 7 crates for Benham when you can just earn some tokens through past events. Like it or not, WG needs a customer base. Game developers don't work for free. 
  • It takes a way from the 'theme' of the event, but honestly, nobody pays attention.

Thoughts? I may just be speaking on my own behalf, but I'm curious to see what people think. I just hate having to deal with all these wacky currencies with goofy names that are constantly overlapping.

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3

[WOLFG]
Members
6,982 posts
5,011 battles

I would like it simply because I could us it on what I want.  As you noted, If you don't get the Benham, your choices are single use camos, credits, and premium time.  Nothing I value very much.

If it rolled over, I would use it on something on the next event (if there was something I wanted).

[A-I-M]
Members
2,223 posts
11,364 battles
37 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Thoughts? I may just be speaking on my own behalf, but I'm curious to see what people think. I just hate having to deal with all these wacky currencies with goofy names that are constantly overlapping.

Yooouuuuu frikking SUBVERSIVE!!!!

Consistency and uniformity will just allow the ****ing rabble to game the system via contemptible consistency and predictability.

Off with this man’s head!

Then, GULAG!!!

For him AND his head!!!

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
674 posts

agree would be nice, but then people would just do easy missions knowing it will all add up to something good. now if want good you gotta work for it and quickly ...

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
19,993 battles

@_1204_ How about one event currency token that runs for the duration of the event then cashes out before the next event for X amount of per token. Use them or lose them so to speak. 

Then for the next event the token looks the same but the cash out credit value is changed. Perhaps event number one's token would equal 1000 credits then event two's token equals 1500 credits. The credit value increasing X amount per event for one year then reverting to value one for the new year's first event. 

Everyone would benefit whether they used the tokens or not and there would be no gaming the system by hoarding.

[EQRN]
Members
1,613 posts
13,530 battles

Roll over would be nice.  Allows for seasonal changes: maybe for a few weeks you have lots of time to play and can bank up some currency because later you'll be crazy busy, or school starts or vacation, etc and you'll be in a position to still participate when that new event rolls around.  Then you have these Savage Battle stuff where a lot of people from day one said Nope.  Now had some of the effort from Savage Battles carried forward to future events, I bet there would have been a little more participation.  It just makes too much sense to implement :cap_old:

Members
2,897 posts
10,699 battles

I agree with you OP and everyone else, where it makes more sense to have a unified currency and all the benefits it would have. BUUUUTTT then I understand what battleship_elisabeth says.

They are setup in a manner that benefits WG so it's unlikely we will ever see such a change. 

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,235 battles

We had one.  It was when when we went from silver/dubs only to coal.  WG doesn't want it that way and doesn't want it unified.  They want to have complete control on the currency and they don't want hoarding.  You either buy with the special currency or you get cashed out at the end of the event so you are one way or another wiped out when the event is over.  They hate that people are hoarding FXP instead of spending and that is why coal ship prices continue to rise and the reason we have so many different currencies now.  Nice thought but it's already been done and never going back again...not sure how everyone doesn't realize that.

"Sold my soul to the company store"  

[HSD]
Members
510 posts
10,999 battles

An idea for a middle ground so to speak would be for the event tokens to persist through a certain number of events but then expire at discrete intervals.

For example in a 6 month time frame three events go by all using the same event token, so a player could stockpile for the third event if they chose, but after six months (aligning with the end of the third event for example) the tokens are cashed out and the slate is wiped clean. Repeat for the next 6 months, then you control mass stockpiling while still allowing some stockpiling for players.

Members
5,397 posts
3,213 battles

Good idea, too bad it'll never happen because that would discourage people from blowing money on event lootboxes and other stuff by allowing them to save up and transfer currency. 

The only reason the convoluted mess of gimmick tokens exists is to make people grind excessively and spend money.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,853 posts
4,861 battles

Planes already do that with their tokens...

It might work, just make them very hard to obtain in numbers and it should be fine...

Members
176 posts
2,508 battles

I like that it gives players more flexibility, but I also see the problem with stockpiling and inflation.

I'd suggest allowing players the option to convert old event currencies to new event currencies at a rate less than "one-to-one".
Implementation would be simple, allow players to buy the new currency using the old currency in the arsenal armory.

Event currencies don't all have the same value.  For example, for the previous 2, allowance tokens were worth roughly 3 times more than provision tokens.   A one-to-one rate would mean exchanging 3 allowance tokens for 1 provision token.  A less than one-to-one rate means exchanging more than 3 allowance for 1 provision token.  I'd guess that 1/2 value is a good balance between devaluing too fast to be useful and not devaluing fast enough to avoid stockpiling/inflation problems, but that could be adjusted.  For the same example, this would mean 6 allowance tokens would buy 1 provision token.  (if you use WG's credit conversion values, it's 22500:8000 = 45:16)

A less than one-to-one rate means stockpiling long term doesn't work, as the currency gets exponentially devalued over time as it's converted to newer currencies, but it still retains the advantage of increasing player flexibility.  In the long run, if a player doesn't expect to use the currency in the next few patches, they're probably better off converting to credits/whatever else can be purchased immediately.

Conversion to the older currency could be allowed as well, possibly even at one-to-one.  Hypothetically, someone close to getting Lazo with allowance tokens would be able to finish with provision tokens, but at the cost of being set back in getting enough for what can be bought with provision tokens.