You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bootysoup

Why is the montana so bad

46 comments in this topic

Members
86 posts
3,579 battles

It's so outclassed by every other battleship. Why make a battleship with a huge citadel, weak guns, a dreadful shell arc, and no maneuverability? Literally the only thing Montana does is screw up your aim for when you play other battleships. Iowa is great but montana feels useless. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 11
  • Boring 2

Members
86 posts
3,579 battles
9 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

This must be why she is so unpopular for Clan Battles . . . o wait . . .

was popular now its all yamato

[MKF]
Members
488 posts
18,975 battles
34 minutes ago, bootysoup said:

It's so outclassed by every other battleship. Why make a battleship with a huge citadel, weak guns, a dreadful shell arc, and no maneuverability? Literally the only thing Montana does is screw up your aim for when you play other battleships. Iowa is great but montana feels useless. 

I still enjoy playing mine, it's a good ship

[WOLF3]
Members
22,496 posts
20,530 battles
22 minutes ago, I_Potato_Ther4_I_Yam said:

Isn't the Monty a sniper like Yamato?

Montana is excellent at range.  As a Cruiser Main, there were 2 BBs I feared even when I had a Tier X Cruiser:

Yamato for her super IJN BB precision and her 460mm Overmatching Ap.

Montana isn't super accurate like Yamato, but she has 12 guns.  Give her APRM2 and she's a threat even at range and will connect.  The 406mm guns are big enough to cause Overmatch concerns, and their arcing shells tend to cause lots of Pens and even Cits at range.

Montana is great at range but is more suited for the typical USN BB Mid Tier fight.  She can, however, brawl in a pinch if the player knows what he's doing.

I love Montana, my favorite Tier X Battleship.  She has a blend of a lot of great characteristics and can do a variety of jobs.

12 guns to shotgun Destroyers.

16"/50 x12 to Overmatch and devastate Cruisers.

Nice arcing shells to get Pens against BBs even when they're angled (hit the base of their superstructure).  The AP has very respectable Penetration capability.  And to top it off, you have the option of sending 12 HE Shells at a bow camping BB.  Even Yamato will feel those 12x Montana HE shells.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
11,386 posts
31,838 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

MI love Montana, my favorite Tier X Battleship.  She has a blend of a lot of great characteristics and can do a variety of jobs.

Me too. 

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,830 posts
3,809 battles
14 minutes ago, bootysoup said:

was popular now its all yamato

No way. Montana is still king by far in CBs. Maybe cant overmatch... but it is faster, has more and more accurate rifles, and can react better to enemy DDs, CAs, and BB.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,496 posts
20,530 battles
3 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

No way. Montana is still king by far in CBs. Maybe cant overmatch... but it is faster, has more and more accurate rifles, and can react better to enemy DDs, CAs, and BB.

There's also the matter of forgiving nature in their Citadels.  Yamato's citadel is tall and exposed.  As long as she's bow on or angled well, only another Yamato-class can punch through to the Citadel.  But the moment anyone gets a view of her sides, or gets a valid shot at "the cheek" of Yamato, it's Citadel City for her.

Montana has a waterline citadel.  She's not GK armored, she can still get Citadeled at the sides, but it's not a guaranteed death sentence as the same thing happening to Yamato.

Image result for hazegrayunderway yamato citadel cheek

Rk1Kz3K.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
4,165 posts
9,413 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There's also the matter of forgiving nature in their Citadels.  Yamato's citadel is tall and exposed.  As long as she's bow on or angled well, only another Yamato-class can punch through to the Citadel.  But the moment anyone gets a view of her sides, or gets a valid shot at "the cheek" of Yamato, it's Citadel City for her.

Montana has a waterline citadel.  She's not GK armored, she can still get Citadeled at the sides, but it's not a guaranteed death sentence as the same thing happening to Yamato.

This.

Montana is a Yamato killer and I pay close attention in the Yamato to Montanas that appear.

[Y0L0]
Members
10,062 posts
15,168 battles

Monty  is the most popular amongst spuds.      I've seen so many poor monty drivers, it isn't even funny.  sniping or lemming training to edge.       refusing to get even close to cap when it would have won the match .       almost as bad as yolo yammy  :D

Members
627 posts
699 battles

If Montana has a failing, it's that she's not specialized anywhere. If that's a failing at all.  She's such a well rounded generalist that you really can't go wrong bringing her along. Every other T10 BB will certainly be better in one area or another, but they'll also be much weaker in one area or another.

Monty is fast enough. She's agile, enough. Her armor is good enough. Her guns are flat out goddamed awesome.

• Cool 3

Members
86 posts
3,579 battles
1 minute ago, Highlord said:

If Montana has a failing, it's that she's not specialized anywhere. If that's a failing at all.  She's such a well rounded generalist that you really can't go wrong bringing her along. Every other T10 BB will certainly be better in one area or another, but they'll also be much weaker in one area or another.

Monty is fast enough. She's agile, enough. Her armor is good enough. Her guns are flat out goddamed awesome.

The guns are the things I hate the most. They always seem to let me down. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
627 posts
699 battles
1 minute ago, bootysoup said:

The guns are the things I hate the most. They always seem to let me down. 

That's Wargaming's all-consuming love affair with Russian Number Generation, not the Monty herself.  It's the curse of every non-Russian BB in the game.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,153 posts
4,464 battles

Never cared for the Monty either. Actually still play the Iowa once in awhile but never the Monty. It's Slow, bad mobility and Armor is not reliable.

Repbulique is much better, buy one of those.

Members
86 posts
3,579 battles
6 minutes ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

Never cared for the Monty either. Actually still play the Iowa once in awhile but never the Monty. It's Slow, bad mobility and Armor is not reliable.

Repbulique is much better, buy one of those.

I have republique, iowa was so good. This ship feels awful, repub feels amazing

[WOLF9]
Members
4,225 posts
25 minutes ago, Highlord said:

That's Wargaming's all-consuming love affair with Russian Number Generation, not the Monty herself.  It's the curse of every non-Russian BB in the game.

Yup.  I'm convinced this is some sadist amongst the dev team's way of trolling the Sheeit out of players.   Repub gets trolled even worse, due to it's small number of guns and their arrangement.  But nothing beats a German BB for sheer tear your hair out, and bang your head against the wall frustration...

Monty is one of my favorite ships.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,268 posts
6,235 battles

Playing in randoms versus playing as the only bb in clan battles are two very different roles.  Clan battles tanking damage is very important.  For randoms Repub is awesome, it just gets sunk faster being the only bb in clan battles.

[CHA0S]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
157 posts
5,609 battles
Just now, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Yup.  I'm convinced this is some sadist amongst the dev team's way of trolling the Sheeit out of players.   Repub gets trolled even worse, due to it's small number of guns and their arrangement.  But nothing beats a German BB for sheer tear your hair out, and bang your head against the wall frustration...

Monty is one of my favorite ships.

Yea the German battleships makes you want to pull your hair out sometimes. One game you are getting cit after cit and the next game you can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside of it.