You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tanuvein

Please Allow CVs to Control Hull While Flying

8 comments in this topic

[FYL]
Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

I just wanted to complain about this still baffling decision. The autopilot is simply atrocious and will often stop obeying or get stuck on an island that wasn't even in its path, or with how frequently it decides to not listen to you and just sit there for no reason - or how often the GUI stops informing you the AI messed up and needs attention. It is a massive distraction from the game to constantly have to deal with my CV's autopilot in the events when it breaks because I can't help when it does that so I have to spend a lot of time trying to create waypoints it will understand better or trying to make minute maneuvers between flying only for autopilot to still somehow get confused after it is given a clear path. I'd rather be able to focus on flying my planes and occasionally hit a key to get it to turn instead of going into a separate screen to give multiple commands that I have no certainty of being obeyed - there is downtime on flights to move the ship, but at the same time during brief moments of intense engagement you can simply ignore the option. Perhaps if the ai were better, this current style would fine, but with how frequently it seems to break itself it cannot be depended on and becomes a burden and timesink - its supposed to help you from being distracted when itself increases the problems. It becomes a huge drag when you have super slow planes so spend a lot of time doing nothing but thinking about how stupid your ship is being right now, and going back and fixing it while knowing you have to make that last long fruitless flight over. I think using the arrow keys would work, since you could then use either hand to control the hull while the other either uses the mouse or the wasd keys for plane maneuvers.

Also it would make it more immersive. It would feel like you are a CV driver while still letting you focus on the planes when it is time to maneuver them.

Edited by Tanuvein
Yes this is a rant but I was trying to be constructive too
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-BUI-]
Members
1,436 posts
4,359 battles

I'm willing to bet its a limitation of the game engine itself more than a conscious choice of the developers.  

I've seen some crazy bugs just going from CV to Planes and back, the game can barely handle transitioning control from one to the other, I doubt its capable of allowing both at once.  

I think if they could have allowed both, they would have, and saying stuff like "its too complicated for the player" is just a smokescreen to cover for the limitations of a very buggy game engine.

• Cool 1

Members
207 posts
1,139 battles

well, personally, im jumping between the tactical map and the flying planes, sometimes i jump to the tactical map even in the attack run, that way i can eat 1-2 torps of a dd instead of the full salvo (watch out with this, sometimes with the tbs you can bug your planes and need to F)

yes, the narrow paths is an issue, for that put the speed at minimun and before lauching the next attack adjust the course

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,792 posts
13,813 battles

Control more then one thing in this game is to much use of brain, denied _ wg

• Funny 2

[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,204 posts
20,702 battles

They're updating autopilot. It's in the dev blog.

[O_O]
Members
296 posts

I really do miss hitting zed and being able to admire my CV mid battle.  Is it too late to go back to RTS? :Smile_sceptic:

[TARK]
Members
4,154 posts
1,620 battles
48 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

They're updating autopilot. It's in the dev blog.

Now with less control...

I'm pretty certain it wont work, but WG never listens to my feedback...

[INTEL]
Members
1,587 posts
13,449 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Now with less control...

I'm pretty certain it wont work, but WG never listens to my  anyones feedback...

FTFY