Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rgtx1121

Is the Hood a good deal? Summer Sale

26 comments in this topic

[USNR]
Members
293 posts
3,713 battles

I am not a huge buyer of premium ships, but I have been eyeing the hood for a while. For around $25 bucks, is it a good deal considering the current meta? 

Update: I went ahead and got the hood. I had read the review that it was an overall potato, but I am a historian (actually have a degree in it), and felt I would be missing out if the hood was not in my port. 

First impressions: The hood has great maneuverability, especially with the rudder shift module. Her guns are.. Meh. They do not have the punch of the AZ (my favorite premium), but have a good sigma. Her health pool is adequate, AA is ok (i have not had a chance to play in a round where good AA is critical). I would say she is well rounded, not exciting, as others have stated. For 21 bucks, I am happy. 

Keep in mind I have less than 10 rounds in her. 

Edited by Rgtx1121

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,540 posts
5,976 battles

Hood is pretty alright. It doesn't offer amazingly unique gameplay though. You get a solid, if unremarkable tier VII battleship with an arbitrary DFAA gimmick. The gimmick that actually matters is the better normalization on the AP, which is very nice.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,947 posts
13,851 battles

OH yeah it is a good deal!

Members
1,850 posts
16,101 battles

Hood is Meh, lots of better choices - at 50% off I would still not buy.  If it means something to you and you have alway wanted to hit a Bismarck with a few rounds of AP, then sure.  Hood is one  of my more disappointing purchases - even with the “ bottom of the sea” camo

Edited by Panzer1113

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,664 posts
40 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Nelson is far better, and free xp.

I got my hood for free.  Well, not free, it popped out of a box during the UK CV event.  I bought the box for some tokens I wanted but I knew it could also be in the box as a bonus.  It's an ok ship, there isn't anything specifically wrong with it and I do run in it Narai sometimes but....see above.

It gets the job done, there just isn't anything special about it.

[SIM]
Members
4,220 posts
7,240 battles

Hood is not a good ship, her guns are uncomfortable and her biggest selling point (other than her history) is a silly AA gimmick. If you just want her because she’s HMS Hood then, well, go nuts. But if you’re looking for a competitive ship, I’d wait for something else to go on sale. 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,664 posts
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Hood is not a good ship, her guns are uncomfortable and her biggest selling point (other than her history) is a silly AA gimmick. If you just want her because she’s HMS Hood then, well, go nuts. But if you’re looking for a competitive ship, I’d wait for something else to go on sale. 

It's AA gimmick was removed with the CV rework.  It has just had normal AA since then.

Which is sad, since I got it after the rework, I never got to see it do it's thing.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,740 posts
12,080 battles

Hey OP don't listen to the HMS HOOD naysayers...she's a very good ship, fast, good fire arcs and tanky for her tier, when angled.  AND she is downright gorgeous....best looking ship in the game.   One of my favorite ships to play.

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
6,825 posts
7,440 battles
20 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

Hey OP don't listen to the HMS HOOD naysayers...she's a very good ship, fast, good fire arcs and tanky for her tier, when angled.  AND she is downright gorgeous....best looking ship in the game.   One of my favorite ships to play.

A lot of ships are very tanky for their tier. Sinop is extremely tanky when bow-on; Gniensau is superbly so. I'd take either over a Hood at this point in a heartbeat.

Hood's greatest attribute was her funky AP that allowed you to bulldoze cruisers, and nip off huge, 8-12k non-citadel "bites" of enemy battleships in a very predictable way. That's all gone now - she's just an oversized, undergunned monstrosity that doesn't do anything particularly well. 

[NSWO]
Members
51 posts
4,857 battles

I bought the Hood when it first came out and it's one of my favorite Premiums to play. The Hood is quite different from British BBs peers as she is more of an AP gun slinger than a HE dragon. Her AP can chunk quite a bit of life off of battleships if you know where to aim which is usually their belt and you can definitely kill cruisers with her AP. I'd say it's worth the cost to buy her and enjoy her if you have a great understanding of knowing where to aim to score massive damage.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,429 posts
20,527 battles

Depends on what you like, whether Hood is a good ship for you or not.

First the negative, and a huge one IMO.  Hood's gunnery is IMO, very unreliable.  It is the worst aspect of the ship and it really holds back what this thing can do.

Hood is a historical ship, that's a +1 for many around here already, for her part on the ill-fated sortie against Bismarck.

The AA was trollish in the RTS CV days but I'm not sure how it stacks up in the post-CV rework.

But the two best things about her?

+ SPEED:  32kts in a Tier VII Battleship is IMO, quite excellent.  If the situation looks stupid, you got the speed to run and actually separate from numerous threats.  Or use that speed to quickly get somewhere for the attack.

+ ARMOR & CITADEL PROTECTION:  A Hood player that understands Battleship Survival Techniques 101 will stay alive pretty well with her.  The armor is quite excellent.

Ycoa6I7.jpg

UT36Wep.jpg

Hood's very thick deck armor makes her resistant to a lot of HE attacks as shells that fall there will mostly non-pen.  On the flip side, Nelson, KGV, DOY have 25mm all over the d*mn place and HE attacks penetrate for damage at an alarming rate.

An angled Hood has ample lower and upper belt armor to defeat even 460mm AP, as not even Yamato-class can Overmatch the 127mm / 178mm / 305mm armor on Hood's sides when she's angled.  BBs firing AP at an angled Hood have to settle for the Bow or Superstructure for more Overpens.

In addition, you can see Hood's citadel is low.

I remember when Hood came out, people expected Hood Memes where she'd be easy to delete.  She proved all that wrong as defensively, she is among the best in Tier VII.

Anyways, Hood... Her guns are weak, Tier VI Warspite's guns are better.  The guns I felt were also inaccurate.  But her speed and protection is quite good.  If her guns were more reliable, Hood would have been a true powerhouse in Tier VII Battleship country.  If you care for speed and armor, staying power in a mid tier RN Battleship, you'll be hard pressed to find one better than Hood.  Just understand the guns suck.  I don't know if I drove that point home enough.

I remember the ridicule of Hood's guns being so bad, the running joke was that it was a good thing Hood is so fast, because she made a better torpedo than her guns did as a weapon system.

Another edit:  Artillery Chart showing the shell flight characteristics between Tier VI Warspite and Tier VII Hood.

ab12lr8.jpg

In shell flight, they're similar, but Tier VI Warspite's AP has more penetration capability.  Hood however does have improved AP bounce angles.

SlE8BLJ.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[RAGE]
Members
30 posts
3,325 battles

Got it on sale today because, well, it's the Hood. In the game, however, it is really underwhelming. I don't see much of an advantage compared to the Gneisenau, for instance. Not a good pick for a Premium ship, IMHO.

Peter

[K0]
Members
1,728 posts
7,130 battles

I haven't really played enough of Hood to really understand how she plays, but she can definitely take a few hits and shoot down planes. Unfortunately she follows most of the British BBs in that her guns are unreliable. I can't tell if Hood has any issues with penetrating other ships because she doesn't even hit them in the first place.

Edited by Flashtirade

[RLGN]
Members
12,037 posts
21,571 battles
39 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Sinop is extremely tanky when bow-on;...

Citing a ship from a line whose members should have pictures in Merriam-Webster when you look up ‘bias’ isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement when saying how bad another ship is...

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
6,825 posts
7,440 battles
13 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Citing a ship from a line whose members should have pictures in Merriam-Webster when you look up ‘bias’ isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement when saying how bad another ship is...

Okay. Aside from potentially Nagato, pretty much every BB in that tier is very tanky through the bow.

Hood was decent, she is now utterly uninspired and borderline useless. 

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,454 posts
12,778 battles

Hood is laughably bad, especially considering her selling point was "AA", which doesn't work as well as it used to.

[USNR]
Members
293 posts
3,713 battles

Update: I went ahead and got the hood. I had read the review that it was an overall potato, but I am a historian (actually have a degree in it), and felt I would be missing out if the hood was not in my port. 

First impressions: The hood has great maneuverability, especially with the rudder shift module. Her guns are.. Meh. They do not have the punch of the AZ (my favorite premium), but have a good sigma. Her health pool is adequate, AA is ok (i have not had a chance to play in a round where good AA is critical). I would say she is well rounded, not exciting, as others have stated. For 21 bucks, I am happy. 

[5D4]
Members
36 posts
3,301 battles

I'm also on the fence about picking the Hood up, for 21 bucks it seems like a good deal and it's always been on my radar. But if it's a turd as most are suggesting, then no deal is good enough for it to just sit in port. Shame, she's a good looking bote.

[HRVAT]
Members
1,233 posts
9,595 battles

I do not own a Hood. But I give my impression.

I have play against some VERY good Hood players that give me utter fits !!!!!

I have play against some Hood that they might as well be hauling trash behind that tug boat.

The player who use Hood very well make that ship look like something to worry about. I seem to run into these player the most, LOL

[RLGN]
Members
12,037 posts
21,571 battles
11 minutes ago, Rgtx1121 said:

(snip)

If it’s history you’re in to, make sure to get Warspite as well.

Have had Hood since she first came out, as well the ‘From beneath the Sea’ (or whatever the name is,) camos for her and Bismarck.

I still only have 40 games in her, (10 PvP, 30 PvE.)

It’s less a matter of good or bad, than it's been ‘too busy with other things.’

3 minutes ago, Rhamses05 said:

I'm also on the fence about picking the Hood up, for 21 bucks it seems like a good deal and it's always been on my radar. But if it's a turd as most are suggesting, then no deal is good enough for it to just sit in port. Shame, she's a good looking bote.

Too both of you; if you get (or are going,) to get Bismarck, you must get Hood.

Think of it as a Feng shui or Yin/Yang thing.

4 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:

The player who use Hood very well make that ship look like something to worry about. I seem to run into these player the most, LOL

Probably players with the strategic sense to use Hood’s speed to take flanks and get good broadside shots.

[CAST]
Members
4,772 posts
3,337 battles

Hood is an amazing ship when played right. Very fast and incredible armor when angled. Highest HP pool of tier 7 and one of the tankiest by far. She is great at leading a flank of cruiser as well as being a great kiter. Her guns are decent. Fairly accurate and has enhanced auto bounce angles which is golden. But the pen is a bit on the low side. With DFAA turned on, her AA is solid for her tier.

She's a very well rounded ship. But beware ... her armor profile also means that she can take withering punishment when showing broadside, so always stay angled to battleships.

• Cool 1

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,146 posts
4,464 battles

The Hood is basically a tier 7 Iowa/Republique... One of the best BB's in the game. Also very HE resistant with it's armor lay out, very gudbote.

Vanguard is great too...

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this